Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not mad, Sega, I'm just disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ArfJason posted:

at least, despite very few original zones and inexplicably making hydrocity the least interesting stage, we can celebrate that sonic mania is amazing and is possibly the best 2d sonic
Yeah, it's pretty much inarguable it is. I love the classics but it's the best by default until they do a proper 123K complete and remastered. The engine is just that much better at Sonic gameplay.

But yeah it's great and at least we got that this year. Too bad Forces is even worse than the mediocre level I was expecting.

I really don't understand how you could possibly take Generations and its excellent engine, combine that with create a character and make a bad game. Like not 'bad to people who hate boost gameplay' but just straight up bad. What were they doing with all these years? Oh well, I'll get it in a humble bundle next year and get a couple hours of fun.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > The Sonic Thread: I'm not mad, Sega, I'm just disappointed

Given that even trying to not spoil myself it sounds like Mario Odyssey is going to be a GOTY contender, I can only assume Mario stole Sonic's future at some point so now the only Sonic games that can succeed are ones based on the Genesis entries.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiderdrake posted:

I really don't understand how you could possibly take Generations and its excellent engine, combine that with create a character and make a bad game. Like not 'bad to people who hate boost gameplay' but just straight up bad. What were they doing with all these years? Oh well, I'll get it in a humble bundle next year and get a couple hours of fun.

The rumor is that Forces was only actually being worked on for maybe two years, tops.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I wonder how fast people are going to be able to categorize exactly what percentage of assets in the game were ripped from previous games to save on time.

Like yeah there's certainly nothing inherently wrong with a new entry in a series reusing assets from a previous one that happens in pretty much every franchise.

But you look at the Egg Dragoon and think...of all the things to copy and paste into the game you chose the something you already included as a callback in Generations?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To get :tinfoil: here, i wouldn't be surprised if Forces missed the 25th anniversary so Mania could release beforehand and both minimize focus on Forces and get people feeling confident enough in the franchise again to take a gamble.

Not to say it's a Boom or '06, but nothing after the announcement of the OC creator has really gotten me interested in the game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

I started out the ride as, "Oh, great. Classic Sonic in 3D. Again. :rolleyes:" Then I moved on to, "Well, OCs are an okay reskin for "We 100% promise the third character isn't Sonic Boom Sonic""

At this point I was sitting here ready to have fun with an okay at worst game in the Generations style. But that Modern Sonic demo footage of the bots that don't even do anything, and just expect you to boost past them really let me down. I feel disappointed over a game I didn't even start out wanting, and actually started to feel optimistic about. I'm sure the story will still be fun in a goofy way. But I'd much rather the game be fun instead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4ZFpC6bbQ

3D blast directors cut update.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I wonder how fast people are going to be able to categorize exactly what percentage of assets in the game were ripped from previous games to save on time.

Like yeah there's certainly nothing inherently wrong with a new entry in a series reusing assets from a previous one that happens in pretty much every franchise.

But you look at the Egg Dragoon and think...of all the things to copy and paste into the game you chose the something you already included as a callback in Generations?

One of the best Zelda entries was like 80% reused assets (Majora's Mask from OOT) and let's not forget how much of Sonic Mania was "slightly tweaked S1/2/3&K levels", so yeah asset reuse really isn't the issue here. Just "being able to make a not lovely game" is. :smith:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hrist posted:

At this point I was sitting here ready to have fun with an okay at worst game in the Generations style. But that Modern Sonic demo footage of the bots that don't even do anything, and just expect you to boost past them really let me down.

I mean, that's basically what most enemies in the Modern Green Hill in Generations do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It doesn't help that they chose the most ugly and dumb looking character possible to represent the created character in promos

I mean really. You couldn't do better than this?

edit: the glasses frame doesn't even go over his ears. the headset doesn't sit on his ears.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I thought they captured the total loving dork aesthetic quite nicely which clearly was what they were going for.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well I for one think it's admirable that they're featuring Sammyclassicsonicfan in their promotional material

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

im reminded of that mlp holocaust edit

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't help that they chose the most ugly and dumb looking character possible to represent the created character in promos

I mean really. You couldn't do better than this?

edit: the glasses frame doesn't even go over his ears. the headset doesn't sit on his ears.

But that perfectly represents my fursona! I was to buy this garbage, I wouldn't even need to edit!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Lets be fair, if the glasses and headset went where they were supposed to it'd look awkward as gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Bee posted:

Lets be fair, if the glasses and headset went where they were supposed to it'd look awkward as gently caress.

Well yeah but instead of putting on either of those things to represent Customizable Items they could've given him, like, a scarf. Sonic character designs are all about giving people unnecessary scarfs these days

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

One of the best Zelda entries was like 80% reused assets (Majora's Mask from OOT) and let's not forget how much of Sonic Mania was "slightly tweaked S1/2/3&K levels", so yeah asset reuse really isn't the issue here. Just "being able to make a not lovely game" is. :smith:

I mean Majora's Mask only really reuses items and character models, everything else is still new poo poo. They even redesigned the starting sword, even though it's supposed to be the same sword from OoT.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Spinning Robo posted:

If true it does explain a lot about the game (short levels, more simple design, etc). Team just straight up isn't used to making levels like generations.

Why won't you just let me love you, sonic team. Why are you like this

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Okay, I finally played the demo and holy poo poo. I expected it to be mediocre but they took a bigger step back than I expected. Modern Sonic controls like poo poo and is 50-60% automated. I can't complain about Classic Sonic's controls or physics at this point but losing rings and not being able to collect them again blows. The avatar was the most fun part but it was much faster to just ignore enemies and grapple points and only the flamethrower was any good. And as if the game itself weren't bad enough, the pathetically short timer makes it impossible to complete a stage and sucks any fun that might still remain away. There is very little salvageable from Forces and while I think it is absolutely true that Sonic Team needs a massive shakeup. The problem isn't that the designers don't know how to make a good Sonic game, the problem is that they don't know how to make a good game period. The design decisions are baffling. Why take a step back from the games that worked before?

I'm not usually one to be this down on a game from a demo but honestly this is just too much. 06 had a better demo than this.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm kinda glad they put out a demo because this is what finally made me certain Forces was going to be bad. I'm disappointed as gently caress. We've been talking a big game since Mania but Colors and Generations really were good. How'd you gently caress this up? How'd Sega *let* it get this hosed up when, after Mania, there was a lot that Forces needed to prove?

It's like if Mario Galaxy 2 had decided to have slippery-rear end Sunshine physics.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 26, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

*glances at curled finger on monkey's paw*

Oh no.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just disband Sonic Team and give more third party developers a stab at various properties, not just Sonic. Sonic Team clearly aren't able to take the series forward anymore.

OH GOD NO :gonk:

Spinning Robo posted:

If true it does explain a lot about the game (short levels, more simple design, etc). Team just straight up isn't used to making levels like generations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think that person is just confusing the game with the mobile game they made for it, which is by Sega's usual mobile team, Hardlight.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

And as if the game itself weren't bad enough, the pathetically short timer makes it impossible to complete a stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSkR83Q1BM

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OH MY loving GOD IT'S THE TRASH MUSIC FROM THE MOBILE GAME.
poo poo, I had hopes for at least the music.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > The Sonic Thread: I'm not mad, Sega, I'm just disappointed

The mobile app cuts off the enough of the thread title so the only thing showing is "I was sorely disappointed"

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kikas posted:

OH MY loving GOD IT'S THE TRASH MUSIC FROM THE MOBILE GAME.
poo poo, I had hopes for at least the music.

Yeah I know, I honestly can't believe they used that song either. I don't get how anyone can listen to it and go "Yup, this is up there with all the other great Sonic music in the franchise".

Like a lot of the other music is perfectly fine, but that song and the Classic green hill are utter trash

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you've got Best Buy Gamer's club, pre-order Mario Odyssey before tomorrow and use the :10bux: gift card to make Sonic Forces about $21. It won't be as disappointing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really don't like how the OC sorta snaps into place when running. I'm... probably gonna cancel my preorder.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t wait for reviews of Forces to start coming. The comparison between them and Mario Odyssey is going to be hilarious.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dehry posted:

If you've got Best Buy Gamer's club, pre-order Mario Odyssey before tomorrow and use the :10bux: gift card to make Sonic Forces about $21. It won't be as disappointing.
Yes it will

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hey now, they did manage to add in an anti-frustration feature.
Wow, you're right, they did: it turns itself off after a minute.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

So apparently the music is bad, but this doesn't look horrifyingly terrible? After all the moaning and pre-order cancelling in the thread I assumed the game was a steaming pile of garbage but this looks completely fine to me?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xad posted:

So apparently the music is bad, but this doesn't look horrifyingly terrible? After all the moaning and pre-order cancelling in the thread I assumed the game was a steaming pile of garbage but this looks completely fine to me?

I appreciated the reference to Sand Hill at least.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The level design is pretty lacklustre. I can't really blame people for not wanting to drop the money for an average experience, especially with games like Mario Odyssey dropping at the same time. Hell, I'm pretty torn myself now on whether I want to cancel, watch an LP and just give the soundtrack a listen, given what else I could be spending the money on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game isn't 06/Boom levels of awful but it's acutely disappointing because it shows they can't even execute on a proven format that worked just a few years ago and was improving with every game. Like, it's one thing to flub a game with ambition like Lost World, but this game shows they can't even do the cookie-cutter stuff to their established standard, so what hope is there?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Xad posted:

Maybe not "horrifyingly terrible," I don't think anyone's saying this is 06 bad, but disappointing and bad in a lot of ways that previous games absolutely weren't. I'm looking at stuff like "Sonic aggressively tries to stay centered in the level" and "the Egg Dragoon's shots can't actually hit you unless you actively run into them" and "they made the demos only last 1 minute to try and hide how short all the stages were but anyone half-trying can squeeze it in anyway."

Like, Generations and Colors were good-rear end games! I love the boost gameplay. This looks sloppier than a 6 year old game. It isn't the lowest low of the series, but after Mania they really had to at least clear the bar of "about as good as Generations" and it doesn't really look like they did that to me. I guess it's less that this looks like the worst poo poo on earth and more that I wanted this to be good and it isn't. Like someone else said this has gone from "I'll buy this day one" to "I'll get it in a Humble Bundle for five dollars in six months." They've just dropped the ball.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Xad posted:

The game loving plays itself.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Xad posted:

The level is just really mediocre. If you compare the Modern Green Hill and the Modern Sunset Heights levels to the first levels of Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, then you see that it's pretty bare. Unleashed and Generations had big levels with various side areas and paths all around, but there's only a couple of spots in the green hill and pretty much nothing in the Sunset Heights one. Colors had a very basic Act 1/2 for Tropical Resort, but Act 3 had a lot of poo poo going on similarly to the former examples.

There's nothing really bad in these forces levels, they just got nothing that special. We've have multiple games in this style and the fact that all they want us to see is the bare basics is really sad, even if the game's later levels turn out to be on par with the predecessors.

Seriously, these levels are like the level of Unleashed's tutorial level, and even that I'd argue is more interesting than the Modern Forces levels we have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P50As5nGTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ultimately, I still don't think it comes down to Sonic Team not getting Sonic. It comes down to the fact that Sonic Team is not really a consistent group of people with a unified vision of what Sonic is, and even with mainstays like Iizuka, each game effectively has a different vision despite using many of the same elements. When you have an approach that works, and you hand it off again and again, things either get watered down or build off frustrating elements that weren't in previous titles, and get built up by people who don't quite understand them, or they evolve in a different direction.

This isn't always a negative. Look at Colors, Unleashed, and Generations. All "boost style" games, but they play very differently and have different approaches to level design, because they were different teams approaching the same ideas. But sometimes you get stuff like the Adventure series eventually turning into Heroes and ShtH, and while those titles aren't AS awful (but are still pretty flawed) as much as people say, they definitely either streamlined or undermined a lot of what was good about Adventure-style Sonic gameplay in much the same way Forces is doing here.