Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I live in europe but have the US eshop. That means it won't be unlocked at midnight, correct? I will have to wait until US midnight?

Why not make accounts for every region? I have one for each of four of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

It's a universal SKU. I'd say nearing* 100% of Switch games are. It is indistiguishable from the US digital version even so much as to go to the US eShop and see it "purchased" and redownloadable.

10 minute hot take. Other than some aliasing/shimmer on straight lines... this game is loving FLAWLESS. I am so giddy right now. I am not traditionally a nintendo mark, nor am I some super hardcore Mario legacy fan. I played SMB, SMW, etc... back in the day.

This is such a product of love, you can tell.

Wait, if I get a digital code from Amazon.jp I can redeem it on my US account? If I can't, that's not a big deal, I have a JP account for demos, but if I could redeem it on my US one that would be baller...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I live in europe but have the US eshop. That means it won't be unlocked at midnight, correct? I will have to wait until US midnight?
Yeah but you can just create a 2nd account on your Switch, set it to Europe, access the eShop via that account and pre-purchase/pre-load the game. It'll then unlock at midnight CEST.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"zoom all the way to the moon"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why not make accounts for every region? I have one for each of four of them

I'm a total scrub when it comes to this stuff, but you're saying if I make a Japanese Nintendo account, I can just buy the game and play it now? :confused:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lelandjs posted:

Wait, if I get a digital code from Amazon.jp I can redeem it on my US account? If I can't, that's not a big deal, I have a JP account for demos, but if I could redeem it on my US one that would be baller...

You'd probably be left with the jp ver.

Also, you can't buy digital codes from Amazon.jp unless you have a Japanese address attached to your account. Strange, considering they ship physical versions overseas. For MHXX, I had to use a fake Japanese address, then delete it from my account afterwards.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
You redeem it on your Japanese account and you can immediately download it on your main account. Splatoon 2 is an exception but just check the language category.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BabyRyoga posted:

You'd probably be left with the jp ver.

Also, you can't buy digital codes from Amazon.jp unless you have a Japanese address attached to your account. Strange, considering they ship physical versions overseas. For MHXX, I had to use a fake Japanese address, then delete it from my account afterwards.

Yeah, I just tried this and I get an internal error every time--I used the Toyko Municipal Building's address, which other people had success with. Guess I'll try a random McDonalds or something.

[Edit: figured out the issue, Discover doesn't like strange international transactions]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm a total scrub when it comes to this stuff, but you're saying if I make a Japanese Nintendo account, I can just buy the game and play it now? :confused:
Yeah basically, but some people have needed to get eShop credit to do this because the JP region eShop won't accept their non-Japanese credit card.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well my Amazon.co.jp order is now stuck in pending verification, hopefully that clears by the end of the work day today!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
so is odyssey good or nah? hard to tell with some of these reviews

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Has any review dove into how long the game is? I know there’s supposed to be something insane like 800 power moons but I guess the general average time to beat it is my question.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nah you should probably skip it

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Well if it can't manage better than a 75 from play.co.rs I don't see how it could be.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Anyone got any plans for tomorrow?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lelandjs posted:

Oh look ArsTechnica took one of the cons in my parody review seriously (I didn't link to the full review because of slight spoilers):

lol

Someone was bound to bring it up as if they've never played a mainline Mario game before. I was just expecting it to be Polygon or Kotaku first.

InFlames235 posted:

Has any review dove into how long the game is? I know there’s supposed to be something insane like 800 power moons but I guess the general average time to beat it is my question.

I only read one review because I'm avoiding spoilers, but they said they beat the main story in 15 hours with plenty left to do.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 26, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wait for the Yooka Laylee Switch port.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

My favorite game review of all time is the kotaku review of Destiny 2. It's staggeringly terrible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HMS Beagle posted:

My favorite game review of all time is the kotaku review of Destiny 2. It's staggeringly terrible.

So it accurately matches the player experience then?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HMS Beagle posted:

Why? I don’t want to read it myself.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I mean you already own Stardew, what could be better?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, I can understand wanting Peach to break the formula more often. Enough games have come out where they subvert it, and Nintendo themselves have spoken to how they want to break the mold more lately.

It's not a deal breaker and nor do I think it should detract from the overall score but I can see how it's worth criticism.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 26, 2017

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

enojy posted:

Someone was bound to bring it up as if they've never played a mainline Mario game before. I was just expecting it to be Polygon or Kotaku first.

The Kotaku review did say something about it in the sidebar but left it out of the review. Of course, even mentioning it made multiple people in the comments section go nuclear.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

enojy posted:

I only read one review because I'm avoiding spoilers, but they said they beat the main story in 15 hours with plenty left to do.

IGN had the same time in their video

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

A reminder that Big W will have SMO for all of $62AUD today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

IGN had the same time in their video

The Giant Bomb video said about 12-13 hours, but also said there was an insane amount of post-credits stuff and also he 100%ed it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Good job responding to the user's spoilered discussion with an unspoilered elaboration of the topic

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing is that it isn't really that difficult to have worked in the option to choose either Peach or Mario as the playable character. You'd have to take out the wedding angle, but it could be as simple as either Mario or Peach gets a powerful hat that gives the user magical possession abilities, Bowser kidnaps them to try to steal the hat, the stolen hat's friend teams up with the kidnapped character's friend and off you go! Make costumes for both characters, maybe change up the puzzles a little to accommodate for Peach's floating, and you've given users a choice without it actually effecting the plot or gameplay in a serious way.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Thank you so much a-for-to playing my game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Good job responding to the user's spoilered discussion with an unspoilered elaboration of the topic

That's my B, I edited it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

lelandjs posted:

The thing is that it isn't really that difficult to have worked in the option to choose either Peach or Mario as the playable character. You'd have to take out the wedding angle, but it could be as simple as either Mario or Peach gets a powerful hat that gives the user magical possession abilities, Bowser kidnaps them to try to steal the hat, the stolen hat's friend teams up with the kidnapped character's friend and off you go! Make costumes for both characters, maybe change up the puzzles a little to accommodate for Peach's floating, and you've given users a choice without it actually effecting the plot in a serious way.

Bowser kidnaps and tries to marry Mario

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Cheeto posted:

Bowser kidnaps and tries to marry Mario

I mean, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but whooooo boy the rest of the loving internet would.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

In case I was included in that, I was vague on purpose :colbert:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I was referring to njsykora's post just above mine. Some people don't want to know the length of the game, I bet. I didn't see what razorsaw posted but please everyone use spoiler tags. It's not even out in US yet. I'm peacing out of this thread for a few days now, just wanted to see folks gush about the 10/10's.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I don't you even necessarily have to change Peach's role or make her playable to make this work. I mean, she's a damsel in distress in Subspace Emissary, and then later she escapes and calmly strolls through explosions.

Just. Give her a little bit more to do, I guess. Blah blah blah, story in Mario, but story and characterization don't need to be elaborate or complex to be effective.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The repetition of the same old Peach-gets-kidnapped story angle sticks out in an otherwise conceptually imaginative game, and it's pretty clearly done out of a sort of obstinate sense of series tradition, and I think its fair to comment on that in a review because it's fair to comment on ANY aspect of a game in a review.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

Wait for the Yooka Laylee Switch port.

I am waiting for it since I backed the kickstarter but Playtonic really stepped on their dick letting Mario beat them to the console.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

lelandjs posted:

The thing is that it isn't really that difficult to have worked in the option to choose either Peach or Mario as the playable character. You'd have to take out the wedding angle, but it could be as simple as either Mario or Peach gets a powerful hat that gives the user magical possession abilities, Bowser kidnaps them to try to steal the hat, the stolen hat's friend teams up with the kidnapped character's friend and off you go! Make costumes for both characters, maybe change up the puzzles a little to accommodate for Peach's floating, and you've given users a choice without it actually effecting the plot or gameplay in a serious way.

Saying that adding another character with entirely different movement mechanics to a platformer with hundreds of unique challenges "isn't really that difficult" is loving absurd.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

PantsBandit posted:

Saying that adding another character with entirely different movement mechanics to a platformer with hundreds of unique challenges "isn't really that difficult" is loving absurd.

What if she... Didn't have different movement mechanics? Remove the float, who needs it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Yah that's "tighten up the graphics on level 3" levels of game development comprehension right there

• Locked thread