Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

There was also the Yu Gi Oh anime which even in Japan cut out the beginning of the story to get right to the part where he plays fake MTG. This means it completely glosses over the whole thing about Yugi getting possessed by ancient Egyptian king who straight up ironic revenge stuff to bad people.

That actually did get adapted, just earlier by a completely different production company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, Sho Aikawa is completely loving nuts even by Japanese standards and has written a bunch of other incredibly bonkers, weirdly right-wing poo poo. The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series was his baby too, and that goes in a... relatedly weird direction that I don't wanna spoil for those who haven't seen it (it's a legit cool idea in a vacuum).

I...uh...huh. That really re-contextualizes a lot in a really, really uncomfortable way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just spoil it for people who don't wanna commit God knows how long to watching a cartoon

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I saw it back when I was a Weeaboo dork in high school and don't remember it well enough to know what you're talking about so yeah please just spoiler tag it.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Yeah, I watched FMA years ago and don't remember anything awful aside from the weirdness of them calling their leader "The Furher", which admittedly was pretty weird.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's been ages since I've seen it too but IIRC they strongly tie alchemy back to the real-world Holocaust and atomic bomb explosions, and the brothers eventually end up in real-world Nazi Germany.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a few episodes of FMA but since I saw them out of order I couldn't follow the plot. I assumed that their leader's title was "Fuhrer King" but my brother (who is a big fan of it) later explained that it's just "Fuhrer" and "King" is his first name.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's a thing called something like the "Gate of Truth" and it's a whole nutty rabbit hole in the manga and Brotherhood, but in the 2003 series, it's a dimensional gate to 1930s Germany. The series essentially ends with this revelation, and then there's a really weird movie set entirely on the 1930s Germany side of the gate.

I don't remember it super well so I'm probably missing/loving up details, but suffice to say, dude has a fascination with Nazis.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

It's been ages since I've seen it too but IIRC they strongly tie alchemy back to the real-world Holocaust and atomic bomb explosions, and the brothers eventually end up in real-world Nazi Germany.

I want to say alchemy was powered by the Holocaust too which is pretty :stare:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I can kind of see where he got to thinking about Nazi Germany considering the country FMA takes place in is basically alternate universe Germany, complete with their own attempted genocide undertaken by a fuhrer.

doesn't make him any less loving weird and hosed up tho

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
2003 FMA: It's not 1930s Germany but 1920s Germany, the main character ends up in our universe at the end of WWI and the movie Conqueror of Shamballah features the beer hall rebellion as an action setpiece in which he and Fritz Lang drive a car through the building.

Yes, that Fritz Lang.

2003 FMA was weird.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel like when you're immersed in the anime subculture you start overlooking at lot of the weird stuff because you're just getting sensory overload from weirdness at all angles.

With the benefit of hindsight though, goddamn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh even anime fans know that FMA 2003 was weird as gently caress

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It also has Mustang commit a warcrime on an unholy scale lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Mighty Orbots. First transforming robots/combiners I ever saw.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Jesus.

I was going to make a joke about Sandy Frank looking like the living embodiment of his own body of work (pieced together haphazardly to give the appearance of a manufactured whole), but I'm not sure if he's a burn victim or not.

I'd say it's more likely he's a victim of bad plastic surgery. Kind of a shame, really:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've never watched much I Love Lucy. I can appreciate what Lucille Ball meant to comedy and to TV, but I've never been able to love Lucy. But I'm in a lobby the other morning and the end of an episode is playing on a TV.

Lucy is confused by a note in Ricky's handwriting that is a long list of women's names and I think one or two men's. Being Lucy, she overreacts and grabs a gun and heads off to Ricky's stage show.

She points the gun at him while he's in the middle of an act and he explains that the names belong to the dogs doing the conga on stage. Lucy's embarrassed and surprise, surprise, Ricky is exasperated by her meddling. He points the gun at the her and fires it. It's a prop gun and there's just one of the "bang" flags that come out of it.

I only saw the last seven or so minutes. I don't know if it was established in act one that the gun existed and was a prop. Or if Ricky and Lucy were both aware that it was.

Of course, you know full well that Lucy isn't going to actually shoot Ricky or vice-versa. But it's awkward as hell.

As I said, I haven't watched enough Lucy to know if she does have her moments of genius or if 95% of the time she portrayed as flighty as all the clip shows show her. The latter approach never appealed to me at all - even as an ardent lover of the Three Stooges, the clips I saw of Lucy were too silly and no matter how accomplished Ball was that didn't age well.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Lucy loving destroys and she's a constant clever mischief maker as well as always getting hoisted by her own petard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh even anime fans know that FMA 2003 was weird as gently caress

yeah, like, I'm an anime fan and I'm the one pointing this poo poo out as completely off the reservation

there's stuff you end up being jaded to, but Nazi dimensional portals showing up in a series that previously had literally nothing to do with Nazis beyond one piece of shared terminology is... not among that stuff

e: Sho Aikawa also wrote Genocyber, which is also totally loving bonkers and legitimately worth a watch (at least the first episode, you can skip the rest- the structure is super weird and kind of more like an anthology series, so you don't really lose much by doing this). Fair warning though, it's insanely loving gory to what I would consider :nms: levels. That said, it's Nazi-free, as far as I remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAvgAAtvXk4

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Oct 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(also worth noting: the original writer of the FMA manga got pretty angry at what Aikawa did to her series, and this is why there's a second Fullmetal Alchemist anime that basically pretends the first one never happened and, iirc, actively takes swipes at it a couple times)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

kupachek posted:

Well I'll be damned, this might be the only japanese animation I have any interest in seeing aside from Akira.

Hell, same. It looks bonkers and I'm loving the ridiculous profanity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

food court bailiff posted:

Wasn't there Zeppelins and poo poo or was I just stoned when I watched it?

EmmyOk posted:

It also has Mustang commit a warcrime on an unholy scale lol

Does he burn a whole town or something because I don't remember anything about this weird rear end show.

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Oct 27, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I remember watching anime in the early 2000s and every other anime would take some grimdark turn and the characters would end up trying to kill God or something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gaunab posted:

I remember watching anime in the early 2000s and every other anime would take some grimdark turn and the characters would end up trying to kill God or something.

I remember watching Berzerk and expecting some combat-y fantasy war thing and it ends.. well.. it's just horrid. Really horrid.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The old Berserk anime ends on the worst possible cliffhanger.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've always found it strange we have the words horrid and horrible, two words that are similar in meanin to most people but don't use horrib or horridle

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Berserk's author kinda mellowed out after he decided to spend most of his time playing Idolmaster games. There hasn't been a rape horse in the story for like 20 years.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Volcott posted:

Berserk's author kinda mellowed out after he decided to spend most of his time playing Idolmaster games. There hasn't been a rape horse in the story for like 20 years.

It's too long for a thread title but gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volcott posted:

To be fair that is more because he decided actually writing the story was for chumps.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Rough Lobster posted:

It's too long for a thread title but gently caress.

TV episodes that did not age well: no rape horses for 20 years

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that is more because he decided actually writing the story was for chumps.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, like, I'm an anime fan and I'm the one pointing this poo poo out as completely off the reservation

there's stuff you end up being jaded to, but Nazi dimensional portals showing up in a series that previously had literally nothing to do with Nazis beyond one piece of shared terminology is... not among that stuff

I think like in my head I accepted the world of FMA as an alternate reality to our own because there were a lot of themes similar to WW2 like the "totally not Jewish/Roma" analogue, similar to like Valkyria chronicles. So jumping over to our timeline I dunno...worked for me?

The thing is I know I saw Conqueror of Shamballa but I cannot remember a single loving thing about it which seems so weird now that you're telling me all this poo poo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The old Berserk anime ends on the worst possible cliffhanger.

The Berserk manga starts with a short arc showing the main character as a tortured loner demon hunter, and then there's a long arc exploring backstory with only a few supernatural events, one of which is meeting the mysterious Skull Knight. He finds camaraderie in a band of mercenaries, but then their leader sacrifices them to become a demon lord and pulls them into a hell dimension. They all die except for the main character and his girlfriend. As they lie helpless in a demons' clutches, the Skull Knight deus ex machinas in and rescues them. They recover physically but not psychologically, and the main character gets cool new weapons, vows revenge, and sets out into the world. End flashback.

So the first episode of the anime shows him as a tough wanderer who kills a demon. The rest of the 25-episode series is the flashback arc. However, they never introduce the Skull Knight. The last two episodes are them fighting to survive the hell dimension, and it gets to right before the Skull Knight appears, with the main character restrained, missing an eye and an arm, and blacking out, forced to watch as his girlfriend is raped by their former leader.

Then the credits roll. The end.

Then there's a post-credits that takes place after he recovers, reminding us that, oh yeah, the fact that this was a flashback means he escaped. Somehow.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
All episodes of "Felicity". Today Felicity would have been a body positive snowflake with pink hair, a tumblr and a hatred for all things but herself.

Think Lena Dunham but with pink hair.

Rambling Robot has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Oct 27, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rambling Robot posted:

All episodes of "Felicity". Today Felicity would have been a body positive snowflake with pink hair, a tumblr and a hatred for all things but herself.

Think Lena Dunham but with pink hair.

idgi

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My guess is that since Felicity is about a smart high school girl that gave up all her plans to be with a guy that she has a crush on, that today that wouldn't be an acceptable show in our society. But even the day Felicity started airing the critics were saying the premise was dumb as hell.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mu Zeta posted:

My guess is that since Felicity is about a smart high school girl that gave up all her plans to be with a guy that she has a crush on, that today that wouldn't be an acceptable show in our society. But even the day Felicity started airing the critics were saying the premise was dumb as hell.

Sounds like it will actually age very well in the ultra-reactionary 2020's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like people that age (and also other ages) don't frequently do equally stupid things because ~I'm in love~.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mu Zeta posted:

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's not like people that age (and also other ages) don't frequently do equally stupid things because ~I'm in love~.

Something something Romeo and Juliet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something something Romeo and Juliet.

Those were literal teenagers (albeit that was pretty normal for the setting/time period), so.

Isn't there literally a show airing titled 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' from the perspective of one?