Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

The new season of Stranger Things drops on Netflix on 10/27, just in time for Halloween.

Season 1 of Stranger Things received universal acclaim. It is a good show.

Stephen King, Wes Craven, and John Carpenter are the most common influences cited by critics for Stranger Things’ overall atmosphere, tone, and characters.

So, why did it work? Well, a couple of reasons:

The Kids

Although the entire cast of Stranger Things is consistent, a significant component of Stranger Things is childhood adventure. Fortunately, the actors who play the kids all loving rule. It is hard to recall an ensemble child cast like this with no weak spots. The dialogue between the kids is believable, and their chemistry is apparent. Millie Bobby Brown’s portrayal of 11, a young girl with a dark past and mysterious powers, was so strong that she received an Emmy nomination.

The Depth of the Myth

The Duffer Brothers, the creators of the show, have spent a lot of time and effort establishing the rules of their universe. They managed to create an alternate/parallel dimension, have a monster consistently cross between that dimension and our dimension, and give it a strong aesthetic while keeping it grounded. There’s a lot more to talk about here, but “The Upside Down” they developed last season is sure to make a return in a big way in Season Two

The Hair

For there is nothing that compares to the glory of Steve Harrington’s coif.

What do we know about Season 2?

Well, a good bit. The Duffers haven’t been too hush about their direction for the new season. I’ll keep it brief since a lot of folks are probably interested in jumping in fresh.

1. The overall feel is said to be somewhat in line with James Cameron’s style.
2. Will Byers is going to be a much more central character.
3. The cast is expanding.
4. It’s been called “scarier” by folks who have reviewed it.

If you want to jump aboard the hype train, go watch this trailer, which is about as good as trailers get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4

Other Cool Things:

Jet Jaguar posted:

There is a Stranger Things game in both the Android and iOS stores.

It's basically a Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past clone with characters from the show, and it's pretty great.

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Barb died so Steve’s hair could live.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It's basically a Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past clone with characters from the show, and it's pretty great.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/DangerMcDagger/status/759471460566102016

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

Throwing into the OP; it was loving great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this needs to be posted on every page

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Two days?! I'm so excited. The only downside is that I'll have to avoid the internet until I can find time to complete the season.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I have faith in the Duff Beer brothers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like Steve I hope he doesn't get killed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do we know how many episodes it is? My entire weekend is pretty packed, but if it's only like 8 hours I may be bale to binge it at some point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s gonna be 9 episodes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can manage that. Seems like a good way to kill my hangover Saturday morning.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Radish posted:

I like Steve I hope he doesn't get killed.

Steve would never get killed because Steve fucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think the show captures the era like people say, but I do think it exactly replicates the experience of watching a movie from that era. My roommates were watching it for the first time a few weeks ago and I caught a few scenes, and there's one where the family is eating breakfast in a sun-soaked breakfast nook and I felt almost transported to being a kid watching Flight of the Navigator or DARYL or something. Odd what triggers your nostalgia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think the show captures the era like people say, but I do think it exactly replicates the experience of watching a movie from that era. My roommates were watching it for the first time a few weeks ago and I caught a few scenes, and there's one where the family is eating breakfast in a sun-soaked breakfast nook and I felt almost transported to being a kid watching Flight of the Navigator or DARYL or something. Odd what triggers your nostalgia.

It’s shot and lit and edited like something modern, but the performances seem really 80s-appropriate a lot of the time, along with the sets and costumes being perfectly accurate.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Excited for the twist that Barbara was the main villain all along.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminded me of the kids eating pizza and playing D&D at the beginning of E.T.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's funny, I almost didn't watch the first season because the original trailer I saw made it look like some stupid coming of age story. And now I find myself a little excited that I get to blast through the thing in a couple of days.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

kiimo posted:

Steve would never get killed because Steve fucks.
Every 80's horror movie killed off the guys that hosed though.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Oracle posted:

Every 80's horror movie killed off the guys that hosed though.

The first season already subverted that trope by killing fuddy-duddy Barb while the cool kids partied

Steve will continue to gently caress

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Just finished it. Here are some initial spoiler-free thoughts:

-It's definitely a sequel, with all the good and bad that implies. A lot of things are the same but bigger. Hopper investigates, Jonathan and Nancy side-mission, Joyce messing up her house in more creative ways.
-Sean Astin, Paul Resier and Brett Gelman are solid additions. I esecially enjoyed Reiser.
-Episode 8 is the best, which is to be expected from a "payoff" episode.
-Finn Wolfhard is still a dope little actor.
-Dacre Montgomery looks exactly like St. Elmo's Fire era Rob Lowe
-Steve and Dustin team-up!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...but how?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LesterGroans posted:

Just finished it. Here are some initial spoiler-free thoughts:

-It's definitely a sequel, with all the good and bad that implies. A lot of things are the same but bigger. Hopper investigates, Jonathan and Nancy side-mission, Joyce messing up her house in more creative ways.
-Sean Astin, Paul Resier and Brett Gelman are solid additions. I esecially enjoyed Reiser.
-Episode 8 is the best, which is to be expected from a "payoff" episode.
-Finn Wolfhard is still a dope little actor.
-Dacre Montgomery looks exactly like St. Elmo's Fire era Rob Lowe
-Steve and Dustin team-up!

What would you give it 1 out of 10?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What would you give it 1 out of 10?

If I'd give the first season an 8 I'd give this a 7, maybe an 8. The kids were the best part of the first season, and they're a big part of this one too, but they're maybe too... segmented this time around.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How did you get a hold of it in it's entirety early?

If I kill you and take your place can I watch it early too? Asking for... a friend? Wait no

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Editing reviews so I got to watch the screeners.

Feel free to kill me anyway though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Reviewers got the whole thing? Don't they normally just get the first few episodes?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Depends on the show and the network/service.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wanna PM me all the big plot points? I told one of my buddies if he beat me in fantasy football last week that I would ruin the show for him by skipping work Thursday, binge watching it, and text him the ending. I was only joking, but if you can make this a reality I will love you forever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Don't have PM's, sorry.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wanna PM me all the big plot points? I told one of my buddies if he beat me in fantasy football last week that I would ruin the show for him by skipping work Thursday, binge watching it, and text him the ending. I was only joking, but if you can make this a reality I will love you forever.

I see a problem with your plan unless you’re in a very weird time zone indeed.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16552486/netflix-stranger-things-after-show-beyond

Jim Rash will host the Stranger Things aftershow. Seven episodes going live tonight.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zero One posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16552486/netflix-stranger-things-after-show-beyond

Jim Rash will host the Stranger Things aftershow. Seven episodes going live tonight.

What time?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

They go live simultaneously with the show, but Netflix recommends you watch the entire season before starting any of the after shows. Also the first after show ep will auto play after the finale of S2.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zero One posted:

Aftershows usually make me think of unfunny junk like the Game of Thrones one with random people from the hbo ad department, but the cast of the show is so funny and charismatic that I’d watch just for them if they’re invited, even if they just snag the second string like Modine or Steve. Jim Rash is no slouch either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Don't have PM's, sorry.

I'm honestly thinking about buying you Plat just to be an rear end in a top hat to my friend.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This new season could just be 9 episodes of Barb being killed over and over and I'd be satisfied.

I'm trying to think of a show where the fandom poisoned me against a single character more than Stranger Things and Barb and can't think of one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

This new season could just be 9 episodes of Barb being killed over and over and I'd be satisfied.

I'm trying to think of a show where the fandom poisoned me against a single character more than Stranger Things and Barb and can't think of one.

FireFly and literally every single character.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rick and Morty on Rick and Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"This truly is the darkest timeline."

• Locked thread