Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tsob posted:

Good people aren't born inherently good, they learn to be good via consequence. Which is why removing consequence is a potential problem.

Maybe people are just inherently good or bad. How else would you decide the eternal fate of a stillborn? The whole system is literally rigged from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

They get to the Good Place finally, and it's one giant violent fetish club out of "San Junipero," as the end result of people living in a universe with on-demand fulfillment of all desires.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

tsob posted:

Good people aren't born inherently good, they learn to be good via consequence. Which is why removing consequence is a potential problem.

If people have to learn to be good, that doesn't mean they'll stop being good once consequence is removed. Keeping the same behavior patterns outside the environment you developed them in is sort of the definition of learning.

Also, the idea that people aren't born inherently good is questionable too. Being good feels nice. Seeing people smile when you help them is wonderful, petting cats is great. Lots of bad behaviors are learned, either because you do something lovely once, get rewarded for it and just keep running with it, or because you feel unsafe somehow and start doing lovely stuff looking for some misguided sense of security. In a place where you can't be hurt and all your wants and needs are instantly provided, there's no incentive to be bad either.

Most importantly, don't forget to factor in that people apparently go to the bad place for being French. Would people in the good place start speaking French if they knew it didn't have any consequences?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Keeping the same behavior patterns outside the environment you developed them in is sort of the definition of learning.

You also don't stop learning once you go to the Good Place, or else the show's entire premise would fail. If you can learn to be good, you can learn to be less good or outright bad afterwards, and having no consequences for eternity is a good way to facilitate that.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Also, the idea that people aren't born inherently good is questionable too.

I didn't mean to imply they're born bad; just that they're born ambivalent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The idea that exploring altered states in heaven would the corruption of a good person is the most baffling "drugs are bad on principle" thing I've ever heard.

"What if a good person went to heaven, but then they tried drugs!!! What an ethical oxymoron"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even caffeine alters your perceptions and behavior. There is literally no such thing as unaltered consciousness, our brains are swimming in chemicals all the time, both internally produced and externally introduced. Yeah I don't know why "drugs are inherently bad" is coming up here.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I assume this show inevitably will be used to teach the basics of moral philosophy to high school and college kids

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

I assume this show inevitably will be used to teach the basics of moral philosophy to high school and college kids

Do good deeds to be rewarded with never ending shrimp in eternity?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

precision posted:

Even caffeine alters your perceptions and behavior. There is literally no such thing as unaltered consciousness, our brains are swimming in chemicals all the time, both internally produced and externally introduced. Yeah I don't know why "drugs are inherently bad" is coming up here.

It came up as a simple example because drugs like cocaine are associated with annoying or bad behavior in general, but was never meant to serve as more than a simple extrapolation of how someone could start trying simple things out of curiosity because of a lack of consequence and become worse in general over time due to the lack of consequence itself rather than because of drugs specifically.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo Janet flashback episode!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
About the what-would-good-people-do thing, I figure that since motive is factored in to good/bad punishments, the actually-good people aren't tempted to be Bad because "good things to avoid being considered bad" is considered a bad thing. Let the Good People in the Good Place do whatever, and they'll still be Good because they don't have the motivation to be Bad.

Unrelated, how long after airing do new episodes go on the site / app? I have only the Fox stuff to go on (new Orville episodes come out not long after airdate), in this respect.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm super excited about diving deep into the psyche of a Janet

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This cast is so amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AWWWWW

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
ZOUKS!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

holy poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This episode was delightful holy poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah so this is how God came into existence, that makes sense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Holy poo poo

The guest star I didn't know I wanted
In the most perfect possible role

:sbahj:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"No blood. That's good." absolutely slayed me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

The guest star I didn't know I wanted

Shouldn't everyone want Jason Mantzoukas in every guest star role, in every possible condition of things?

I can't wait for this to be on their website so I can watch it. I need my Zouks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress, I just found out the next episode is the last one this year.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

gently caress, I just found out the next episode is the last one this year.

Boo i hate that they do that

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Unrelated to anything specific, I would love to see a Bad Place Neighborhood that's the antithesis of Michael's, in that it's supremely efficient. Wouldn't have to show anything graphic, just a dude sitting at desk with a tablet, monitoring featureless blocks that are optimally torturing billions of people inside. Someone who can't understand why the Boss lets Michael run a punishment that employs a couple hundred folks to force four - four - people into torturing themselves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You have to kill me :v:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

MisterBibs posted:

Shouldn't everyone want Jason Mantzoukas in every guest star role, in every possible condition of things?

I can't wait for this to be on their website so I can watch it. I need my Zouks.

He's terrible, he plays the same drat character on everything and it gets old SOOOOOO drat quickly. The moment he showed up with his back to the camera I thought "oh no please dont let that be Jason Mantzoukas." and audibly groaned when he turned around. I like him in things like the How did this get made podcast but his tv roles are so annoying. I guess I'm in the minority though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I Tought I Saw a Puddin Vat

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm a little sad that even though we saw Janet get a new outfit every time she was rebooted, she didn't have the same outfit she started with when Michael originally booted her up or any other than the one this current iteration Janet was wearing in flashbacks. Janet's wardrobe is great.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DurosKlav posted:

He's terrible, he plays the same drat character on everything and it gets old SOOOOOO drat quickly. The moment he showed up with his back to the camera I thought "oh no please dont let that be Jason Mantzoukas." and audibly groaned when he turned around. I like him in things like the How did this get made podcast but his tv roles are so annoying. I guess I'm in the minority though.

Look at how wrong one person can be.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

They initially put real needles in Chidi's face :stare: but ended up using prosthetics instead.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I was staring at the episode list for so long just going "who the gently caress is Derek, is he a new character or one I forgot"

I was not prepared for the answer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

About the what-would-good-people-do thing, I figure that since motive is factored in to good/bad punishments, the actually-good people aren't tempted to be Bad because "good things to avoid being considered bad" is considered a bad thing. Let the Good People in the Good Place do whatever, and they'll still be Good because they don't have the motivation to be Bad.

Unrelated, how long after airing do new episodes go on the site / app? I have only the Fox stuff to go on (new Orville episodes come out not long after airdate), in this respect.

I, at least, am not solely defining "consequences" as "eternal damnation" or "people thinking you're bad." Murder is bad, for example, because it kills a person. If someone doesn't murder because they find the thought of permanently ending someone's life abhorrent, that's not really a bad reason; transplant that person to the Good Place, where everyone's already dead and "murder" at worst just means the person gets put back together and rebooted, and if they think about it they might no longer find it as abhorrent and might go shoot someone in the face for shits and giggles because it will carry no actual consequence.

e: like, I would think being in the afterlife genuinely changes the ethical calculus on a lot of stuff we'd ordinarily consider bad. Theft, for another example, is actively pointless due to Janet, but also lacks any kind of meaningful consequence due to Janet; whatever property gets stolen can simply be instantly replaced via Janet pulling it from Michael-knows-where. It goes from "extremely bad thing to do to another person" to "kind of dickish I guess."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, watching the new episode and writing my thoughts live:

- Holy gently caress Bad Janet pretending to be good and melting from it :lol:

- Janet's weird-rear end physiology owns.

- Tahani and Jason are so loving adorable.

- Holy gently caress Jason is amazing in this episode. I wasn't quite on board with them swerving him from "both Cheech and Chong combined into one person" to "a small child in the body of a 20-something" at first, but this is loving hilarious.

- Oh my god the noise Janet makes when she's barfing coins

- I think someone called that Janet was gonna flip poo poo over Jason and Tahani.

- "Ohhhh.... nuts." D'arcy Carden is giving the performance of her goddamn life in this show and I really hope she blows up from it.

- Custard's Last Flan is an amazing pun.

- "Janet's made a lot of talk-talk into my ear-holes..." I hate this guy already.

- That's a hell of a spot to end the episode on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, is Jason Mantzoukas always this grating? He's nearly approaching Lemongrab levels of grating as this character.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously, is Jason Mantzoukas always this grating? He's nearly approaching Lemongrab levels of grating as this character.

he's the loving worst

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So many bad opinions about Zouks in this thread, good lord

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

So many bad opinions about Zouks in this thread, good lord

Denied the Glory of the Zouk : -190000 per instance

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Why would using drugs without consequences be bad?

The worst parts of drug use in real life are the lovely ways that addicts behave to get a fix.

The worst part is having to buy them, if drugs were free there would be less crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This was the best episode.

DurosKlav posted:

I think I've only seen him in Brooklyn Nine-Nine previously, and I think if I saw a lot of him I'd really start to hate him. But as long as he doesn't stick around too long it'll be fine.

• Locked thread