Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I was hoping during the log chopping montage they would just switch his actor to Alexander Skarsgård to illustrate how jacked he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Didn’t the FBI find a bullet in the wall? How can that be if the gun didn’t go off?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That was a great episode. Bobby Cannavale rules.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

theperminator posted:

Didn’t the FBI find a bullet in the wall? How can that be if the gun didn’t go off?

It did, but it didn't hit Tyrell because he's not real.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

HorseRenoir posted:

can Elliot and Tyrell just gently caress already

My ship name is Tyrelliot

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

theperminator posted:

FBI only found the casing, not the bullet

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That was a really kick rear end episode! Also DDPs partner is Dark Army! That was a great (though predictable) reveal!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

That was a really kick rear end episode! Also DDPs partner is Dark Army! That was a great (though predictable) reveal!

Yeah I guess that was probably the biggest plot reveal of the episode. I expected him to be at least a little corrupt, but murdering a cop in order to let the most wanted man in the country go free? That's about as dirty as you can get! Either he must be getting a hell of a take for that or they have something on/against him.

I noticed there were a lot of really sudden scene/music cuts in this episode, I guess to underscore the flashback effect? I believe this one was directed by Sam Esmail so it was definitely a conscious choice and not just a different director's style.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SalTheBard posted:

My ship name is Tyrelliot

When Leon was told the literal used cars salesman to get Elliot laid, all I could think was "I know the right dude to do it."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excuse me, it's not the Elliott personality that Tyrell's after

Tyrellbot :colbert:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I enjoyed the lack subtlety with which this episode told us "gently caress Trump" and "gently caress nazis".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Esmail's always been pretty blunt with his influences, but I loved the homage to The Shining's opening credits in this episode. Birds eye shots are pretty common, but I caught it as soon as I saw the credits scrolling instead of stationary.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Whiterose put loving Trump in power! Of course! I admire the balls of this show to make that an actual part of the series mythology,

Wallace Shawn absolutely killed it in that small part, I hope we see him again.

The reference to "the gently caress-up with Berenstain". Apparently a "Project Berenstain" was mentioned last season but I totally missed that. Not sure whether it's a genuine plot point or just a nod to that meme that people won't shut up about because the internet misremembered their childhood for them. Maybe both?

All the music choices in this episode were on point, especially Gordon Lightfoot. I'm trying to remember where I've heard that theme playing near the end though, when Wellick arrived at the hotel. It's got to be Mancini or John Barry, but which?.

IMDB saves the day, it was Mancini after all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wallace Shawn lookin' an awful lot like the fsociety Monopoly Man dude during that Dark Army Voight-Kampf test.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn that episode was masterfully directed, Esmail is killing it. The loyalty test, drat. Also lol @ lumberjack Tyrell peacing out to Cypress Hill.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So did this episode confirm that Eliot is the father of Joanna’s baby? I didn’t see that one coming.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
It's fascinating the way this show subverts expectation even when it's playing it straight in an episode like last night's. We, or at least I - was led to believe Tyrell had some masterful part of the Plan all along, and was smugly working in some covert bunker on Phase 2 and everything. From his phone call to Elliot in jail, to the weird misdirection on him on season 2, and then we find out he's basically just been in a cabin put on ice for months with no idea what's going on. His experience is almost a mirror of Elliot's depending on which of their perspectives you look at it through.

Now I'm wondering how he's going to react to knowing about Elliot's special mental status. There was some inner turmoil playing out on his face in the last few shots of the episode, and ending on Mr Robot's smug expression made me nervous. Tyrell would gently caress a dude purely out of the need for power and personal gain. Is the mirror that Mr Robot would allow Tyrell to be in love with him for similar reasons? A scorned lover shot Tyrell's wife, and Tyrell already shot Elliot. Except Elliot didn't die.

...............yet!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So did this episode confirm that Eliot is the father of Joanna’s baby? I didn’t see that one coming.

Uhh did I miss something?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Elliot didn't utter a single word that episode, did he? Neat.

Wallace Shawn was perfect. I really hope we get more of him but wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

Wallace Shawn was perfect. I really hope we get more of him but wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.

Him being a total by-the-books yet eccentric working stiff type juxtaposed with busting out his prescription-like stash of cocaine and doing little bumps every so often was really funny

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

d0grent posted:

Uhh did I miss something?

Nope.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Also, if you didn't shout "iocane powder!" the first time Wallace Shawn busts out his cocaine, I don't know how you live.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

AwkwardKnob posted:

It's fascinating the way this show subverts expectation even when it's playing it straight in an episode like last night's. We, or at least I - was led to believe Tyrell had some masterful part of the Plan all along, and was smugly working in some covert bunker on Phase 2 and everything. From his phone call to Elliot in jail, to the weird misdirection on him on season 2, and then we find out he's basically just been in a cabin put on ice for months with no idea what's going on. His experience is almost a mirror of Elliot's depending on which of their perspectives you look at it through.

Now I'm wondering how he's going to react to knowing about Elliot's special mental status. There was some inner turmoil playing out on his face in the last few shots of the episode, and ending on Mr Robot's smug expression made me nervous. Tyrell would gently caress a dude purely out of the need for power and personal gain. Is the mirror that Mr Robot would allow Tyrell to be in love with him for similar reasons? A scorned lover shot Tyrell's wife, and Tyrell already shot Elliot. Except Elliot didn't die.

...............yet!

Is Tyrell in love with Elliot, or Mr. Robot? Looking forward to finding out. I feel like I need to rewatch s1 and 2 because like you, i really thought there was something deeper going on. Tyrell latched onto Elliot from the first time they met and (in hindsight) I thought Tyrell and Mr. Robot had met beforehand. Or maybe it was just really love at first sight?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
It's not clear to me at this point if it's "romantic" love or like, sociopathic "love" for one's perceived destiny of glory and power, inclusion in some grand coup

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

AwkwardKnob posted:

It's not clear to me at this point if it's "romantic" love or like, sociopathic "love" for one's perceived destiny of glory and power, inclusion in some grand coup

I think it’s more the latter. Tyrell sees Eliot as the key to becoming powerful again and winning back his family, which is gonna make next episode pretty interesting when Tyrell finds out his wife is dead.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Maelstache posted:

The reference to "the gently caress-up with Berenstain". Apparently a "Project Berenstain" was mentioned last season but I totally missed that. Not sure whether it's a genuine plot point or just a nod to that meme that people won't shut up about because the internet misremembered their childhood for them.

http://mrrobot.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Berenstain

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Can you please elaborate?
I didn't see anything like this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

timp posted:

I noticed there were a lot of really sudden scene/music cuts in this episode, I guess to underscore the flashback effect? I believe this one was directed by Sam Esmail so it was definitely a conscious choice and not just a different director's style.

He's directed all the episodes, since at least the start of the second season.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Tyrell has only really interacted with Mr. Robot on any significant level. Elliot has kind of brushed him off in every other interaction. And when they showed Tyrell surprisingly getting intimate with another dude in that, "Previously on Mr. Robot," recap, they were definitely hinting there was something else in his feelings and devotion for Mr. Robot, dead wife be damned. Tyrell is crazy like that.

And maybe the alternate universe angle they're going for is that this is indeed a fictionalized account of our world so China taking Russia's place as the foreign power financing Trump is totally plausible, just like E Corp being serious business in this story is real enough to the point of making a fake Barack Obama announcement to declare a manhunt for Tyrell. This is the way things are in this fictionalized world, so they can do their own ridiculousness involving Trump if they go that angle, without it conflicting on what Trump actually does and says in reality, to say nothing of their own storylines that run in the face of reality (the 5/9 hack for example). A way to explore an alternate history relevant to what's going on now without getting too farfetched in the parallel worlds thing.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It wouldn’t surprise me if the trump stuff was already written before he was elected, the writers not realizing that he would actually win and thinking that it would fit in with the whole 5/9 fallout pretty well.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This explains why they gave out those Amazon echo dots: for their mini audio ARG

USA Network posted:

Alexa Holds the Key to a New Mr. Robot Interactive Experience

Originally posted on October 25, 2017

Tags: Five/Nine, Frank Cody, Amazon, Alexa

As any Mr. Robot fan knows, things just haven’t been the same since the Five/Nine Hack.

Now, you can step inside a post-Five/Nine world with a new Mr. Robot-inspired skill, available only on Alexa-enabled devices. Called the “Mr. Robot: Daily Five/Nine,” this exclusive interactive story game was conceived by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail and was penned by writers from the show. And just like Mr. Robot itself, not everything in the “Daily Five/Nine” is always what it’s presented to be.

Enable The "Mr. Robot: Daily Five/Nine" Skill Now!

“The ‘Daily Five/Nine Skill’ for Alexa was developed very much as an extension of the story world of the show,” said Mr. Robot writer Randy Leon. “The experience begins as a Five/Nine report, similar to something you’d see in the show. But of course, this being Mr. Robot, nothing is quite as it seems, and it soon devolves into something quite different, and perhaps much more sinister, than what you were expecting.”

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

precision posted:

Goddamn that episode was masterfully directed, Esmail is killing it. The loyalty test, drat. Also lol @ lumberjack Tyrell peacing out to Cypress Hill.
It was a seriously great episode. Which is good because I thought the season was off to a boring start.

And yeah, lumberjack Cypress Hill was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love the quirky people the Dark Army has working for them. Wallace loving Shawn? Brilliant.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

DaveKap posted:

off the top of my head he talked to the cab driver when Tyrell was looking out the window and also when he was talking to him on the phone. but those were both flashbacks so I suppose technically you're not wrong.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Amazing episode, faith in mr robot restored .This show is pretty good

We didint got nearly enough Tyrell in S2, so we really needed a full Tyrell episode. He is a pathetic lunatic pyscho and I love him

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 27, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

Can you please elaborate?
I didn't see anything like this.

pretty sure he's making fun of the poster who thought Elliot = Tyrell. or was it Angela? i forgot

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I did double take at that F-bomb. I forgot what network and timeslot it was on for a moment.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Glad they got Joey Bada$$ before he was blinded

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

sticklefifer posted:

Esmail's always been pretty blunt with his influences, but I loved the homage to The Shining's opening credits in this episode. Birds eye shots are pretty common, but I caught it as soon as I saw the credits scrolling instead of stationary.

Along these lines, if anyone's wondering what the baller-rear end music was that was playing near the end of the episode, it's Henry Mancini's "Experiment in Terror" from the film "Experiment in Terror".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Got my ECoin power bank today, and I’m impressed. Instead of the mass produced chinese crap with an ecoin logo slapped on it like I was expecting, it ended being what seems to be a fairly well built Canadian made battery pack with an ecoin logo slapped on it. The capacity isn’t the greatest but it’ll charge a phone up once no problem, and it came with a decent little case with a Bank of E logo and what seems to be a decent quality flat micro usb charging cable. I remember at the beginning of season 2, the mr robot mailing list PayPal’d $10 to random email addresses, and that was cool, but this whole giving cool things away beats the random cash in my book.

• Locked thread