Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ibntumart posted:

John Dyne/Nova Tyson

To be honest, kind of iffy on the superhero Tyson. I laughed, but they cross my line of what may be too silly for this game (and yes, I write that while also considering a man with demon baby arms and a fiery starhole in his chest). Plus it's a real world guy who has had some real serious issues with drugs, booze, and grappling with anger issues... not sure I will be able navigate the line between fun game and just being mean here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zp5lxmudRE

If it's too silly, that's fine, it just came to me on a whim. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ibntumart posted:

And D12 Space Leaping. I have to see that in play sometime.

It's the best reflection I could think of for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93vVrWnchg

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

ibntumart posted:

WereGoat/Ultron and Dr. Peter Corbeau

Digging the Ultron idea, but my one question is what its motivation will be for sticking around to help everyone against Annihilus (who might be perfectly happy to have an amoral killer robot on his crew, like a super scowly HK-47).

Edit:
Ultron I was seeing as less of an amoral killer robot, his time drifting in space (plus mind wipe) has given him a different perspective. He is different now (the ultron identity distinction has him go all Jason Bourne, followed by past life, knowledge and skills, echoes of who he was, but new person).

I've changed up the 3rd milestone to make the conflict more personal between cold robot past self and more human self.

Not sure whether Nova corp is best, I've added a few options- Nova corp, pirates or PCs. Any feedbacks appreciated.

I've modified the scientist powerset from the Annhilation book to have some Stark-y bonuses, Tony's involvement in Starcore means his tech is probably all over the research vessel, and boosted space suits might have some helpful extras.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 21, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ibntumart posted:

Retro Futurist/Ghost Rider

Three power sets seems a bit much, especially since the third one is basically a slightly weaker version of the second. Also, the Mephisto milestone probably should get switched out for something more likely to come up in play. Other than that, I love the idea of cosmic Ghost Rider. Just keep in mind the Annihilation wave hasn't happened yet, so he'll be out there for unrelated vengeance infliction duties first.

I'll touch it up. Never done this before so I just copy pasted a data file I found on a wiki

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ben Grimm, AKA The Thing

"What a revoltin' development." Ben covered his craggy face with an enormous orange hand and leaned back in the pilot's chair. He and Johnny had already passed Jupiter and were headed out into the great unknown - correction, unknown to normal folks - for a good old fashioned buddy vacation, which Ben knew he wasn't going to enjoy the slightest bit.

When Johnny had proposed a vacation and going it on his own, Ben had flipped a gasket. Ol' Hot Head did enough partying and vacationing for the entirety of the Fantastic Four and there was no way Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew was going to let him go alone and cause havoc who knows where. He could cause some sort of incident with the Skrulls or the Kree or whatever else he might run in to. After a chat with Sue and Reed, it turned out they agreed that maybe Johnny should have a chaperone a little more used to tactful discussion with alien races. Not exactly what Ben had wanted to happen, since he'd rather Johnny be grounded, but who can say no to Sue Storm?

So with Bobby Drake and Piotr Rasputin taking their places on the team, Ben had packed up and joined his 'buddy' to pilot the ship that was going to take them to Xandar. And now they were in it for the long haul. Ben drags his hand down his face and sighs. Well, may as well enjoy it. He digs into his duffel bag for his book, and after a minute of aimlessly rustling hefts it into his lap to peer into it. He sighs, tossing the bag full of skin moisturizers and other beauty products back onto the floor, his brow darkening.

"VERY FUNNY, HOT HEAD. HAR HAR. I'm gonna strangle that knuckle head onna these days.."

Affiliations
Solo d6
Buddy d10
Team d8

Distinctions
It's Clobberin' Time!
Wotta Revoltin' Development
I'm a monster!

Rocky Orange Hide
Godlike Durability d12
Godlike Strength d12
Enhanced Stamina d8

SFX: Area Attack - Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect dice.
SFX: Collateral Damage - Instead of spending 1 PP, add d6 to the doom pool to create a Rocky Orange Hide stunt.
SFX: Haymaker - Double Godlike Strength for an action, then add the second-highest rolling die to the doom pool.
SFX: Invulnerable - Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress or trauma unless caused by mystical attacks.
Limit: Moody - Earn 1 PP and step emotional stress caused by doubt, guilt, or self-worth by +1.

Specialties
Combat Expert d8
Psych Expert d8
Cosmic Expert d8
Vehicle Master d10

The Heart of a Prince
1 XP when you first use your powers to give a support asset to an ally.
3 XP when you either take trauma to save a non-combatant or convince an opponent to attack you rather than a non-combatant.
10 XP when you sacrifice yourself for your allies, or fight until you're the last hero to fall.

Feet of Clay
1 XP when you activate your Moody limit.
3 XP when you take offense when none was offered.
10 XP when you either leave your team due to your monstrous appearance or allow others to convince you to join a team in spite of your appearance.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 20, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If you surveyed the Earth-bound superhero community about which of their foes were most likely to wind up in space, Herman Schultz would not rank highly. He might not even rank at all, depending on how many people remembered The Shocker on a given day. And yet here Herman was, surrounded by more shades of aliens than he'd known existed when he woke up that morning. And it was all that stupid helmet's fault.

It had been a normal day and, from everything Crime Master had said, it was supposed to be an entirely normal job. Word had gotten out that some StarkTech update was going to put tons of security offline for a few hours, and so Crime Master had put together a crew to hit one of Stark's own vaults while they were vulnerable. Herman was just there because he could get them past the physical locks, a fact Crime Master and the rest of the crew had no problem reminding him of every chance they got, but still, it was going to be an easy payday, and Herman hadn't had one of those in a while.

So of course it was all a trap. Stark was on one of his 'being a real dick' benders and had planted the idea of a StarkTech failure just to show off some new toys fighting whoever would inevitably show up to rob him. But while everyone else stood around gaping at the surprise Iron Man blocking their exit from the vault, Herman was already running back inside. It wasn't a tactical decision; he just didn't like the look of all those shiny guns pointed at the crew. But then, hiding under a table, he noticed a gold mask that had been knocked on the floor in their hurried looting. Figuring it was as good a chance to escape as anything, Herman wasted no time tugging the mask over his own. And then, in a flash of light, Herman was gone.

It wasn't until later that he figured out it was probably his overwhelming desire to just get out that activated the helmet's emergency recall function, hurling Herman across space to Nova HQ. But somehow, none of the space cops milling around seemed to think he was out of place. Someone even helped him find the sleeping quarters, after he had been standing around so long it got awkward. And then, next morning, he was tossed out on a group patrol. No one seemed to question the man in the pillow-suit being a legitimate member of the Corps. Herman's just kind of gone with it, since. It's a free bed and meals, right? And no one out here even knows enough to mock his name, much less him. What's something like "The Shocker" for a name when you're taking a guy named Fire-Lord seriously?

quote:

The Shocker
Herman Schultz (Secret)

Affiliations
Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8

Distinctions
Hard-Luck Hood… In Space!
Riddled With Insecurities
Self-Taught Engineer

Vibro-Shock Gear
Vibro Blast - d8
Shock-Absorbing Suit (Enhanced Durability) - d8
Leaping - d6
SFX: Kinetic Overload. Step-up one Vibro-Shock Gear power for one action, then take d6 Physical Stress.
SFX: Widened Blasts. For every additional target of Vibro Blast, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Vibro-Shock Gear power and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. Doom Pool to regain.
Limit: Uncontrollable. Turn any Vibro-Shock Gear power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to regain.

Nova Corps Helmet
Enhanced Senses - d8
Enhanced Reflexes - d8
Enhanced Strength - d8
Psychic Resistance - d8
Supersonic Flight - d10
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from vacuum.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Nova Corps Helmet to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Nova Corps Helmet.
Limit: ‘Borrowed’. If a pool includes a Nova Corps Helmet power, both 1s and 2s on those dice count as opportunities, but only 1s are excluded from being used for totals or effect dice.

Specialties
Tech Expert - d8
Crime Expert - d8

Milestones
In Space, No One Knows You’re A Loser
1 XP - When you take advantage of your relative anonymity this far from Earth.
3 XP - When you encounter someone who already knows your reputation.
10 XP - When you choose to abandon your old life as the Shocker to start over in space, or your former life is publically exposed, by you or someone else.

I Hate This Cosmic Stuff
1 XP - When you take a simple approach to a cosmic problem.
3 XP - When you make a roll to try to understand advanced technology or strange alien beings.
10 XP - When you become an important figure in the universe, or reject cosmic importance in order to help your home planet.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 24, 2017

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Corsair, Leader of the Starjammers

A lot of things have happened to Christopher Summers over the years. He was abducted from Earth and separated from his kids, and watched his wife die shortly after. He was enslaved by the Shi'ar Empire and forced to work in the mines, although he was eventually able to escape on a stolen Shi'ar ship and form the Starjammers. And not only was he able to eventually meet up again with his sons, a combined effort between the X-Men and the Starjammers put an end to Shi'ar Majestor D'ken's tyranny, and led to the current Majestrix, Lilandra, to take over the Shi'ar Empire and hopefully lead it away from its brutal past. Hell, when Lilandra's sister Lady Deathbird stole the throne, Corsair even protected the fallen Majestrix until her rule could be reclaimed.

So you can imagine he took it hard when the Shi'ar Empire, under Lilandra's command, went to war against the Kree and deployed something called a "Nega-Bomb" on their homeworld, killing billions. And once it became clear that the Starjammers did not support Shi'ar aggression, Corsair's crew was targeted before they could leave the empire's boundaries. The Starjammers have been scattered, and for the first time in years Corsair has been left aimless. For a moment, he even thought of finally going back home to Earth. That moment passed when he was able to relocate his ship, the Starjammer, which had been retaken by the Shi'ar. He's already pulled himself up from the gutters by stealing a ship and becoming s space pirate, what's stopping him from doing that again?

quote:

Name: Corsair [Christopher Summers]

Affiliations: Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions:
Complicated History with the Shi'ar
Debonair Rogue
Years of Outlaw Experience

Swashbuckling Space Pirate
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Stamina d8

SFX: Quick Thinking. If your pool includes a Swashbuckling Space Pirate power, spend 1 PP to reroll.
SFX: Years of Training. Spend 1 PP to step up a Combat Master stunt or resource and recover mental or emotional stress.
SFX: Focus. If your pool includes a Swashbuckling Space Pirate power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one stepped-up die.

Limit: Off-Balanced and Dazed. Shutdown Swashbuckling Space Pirate to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to recover.

Tools of the Trade
Enhanced Durability d8
Shi'ar Weapons d8

SFX: Dimensional Pocket. Spend 1 PP to step up a Combat specialty stunt or resource.
SFX: Dual-Wielding. Against a single target, step up or double Shi'ar Weapons die. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
SFX:

Limit: Not Exactly "Hands-Free". When affected by any kind of Bound or Restrained complication, shutdown Tools of the Trade.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Master
Cosmic Expert
Crime Expert
Psych Expert
Tech Expert
Vehicle Master

Milestones:

Return to Glory, or Fade Away?
1 XP: when you regale someone else about the past exploits of the Starjammers.
3 XP: when you attempt to take the lead by creating an asset for an ally using Combat Master.
10 XP: when you pull off a stunt that makes the entire galaxy aware that the Starjammers are back, or you swear to give up your life of adventure and return to Earth after all of this is over.

Unfinished Business with the Shi'ar
1 XP: when you make references to your time spent among the Shi'ar.
3 XP: when you successfully defeat or evade a Shi'ar attempt to bring you in.
10 XP: when you end the Shi'ar's aggressive expansion by helping to depose their ruler once again, or you risk your own freedom to find another way.

quote:

The Starjammer

Distinctions:
Experimental Technology
Getting On In Years
Still As Fast As She Needs To Be

Stolen Shi'ar Starship
Cosmic Senses d10
Energy Blast d8
Enhanced Durability d8
Space Flight d12
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Stamina d10
Teleport d10

SFX: Overcharge. Step up or double Energy Blast on your next roll, or spend 1 PP to do both, then shut down Energy Blast. Recover by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
SFX: Advanced Medbay. Anyone on the Starjammer may use its Stamina die when helping others to recover physical stress. They may also spend 1 PP to recover their own or another's physical stress, or step back their own or another's physical trauma by -1.
SFX: Emergency Maneuvers. Split Reflexes into 2d8 or 3d6 for an action.

Limit: Personnel and Cargo Transporter. Teleport only works on teleporting individuals or objects to or from the Starjammer.
Limit: Piloted Vessel. Your ship takes stress separately from you and is destroyed by taking more than d12 stress. Anyone opposing a roll made using a Stolen Shi'ar Starship power may use the ship’s stress or the pilot’s stress.

Still need to finish up my milestones and come up with some distinctions for the Starjammer, and I'd like to come up with one more SFX for Tools of the Trade, but I'm having a hard time with that.

Also, I'm a little weirded out that Cyclop's Space Pirate Deadbeat Dad turned out to be one of the more serious apps for this game.

Astus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 24, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yessssss Nova Corps Shocker.

-----

The suit had changed hands a few times over the years. Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, had one it once. A kid named Flash Thompson, a war hero who lost his legs, he had it. He was close to Parker, and Thompson hadn't utilized the suit to its fullest. But he had done one good thing for the suit.

He'd gotten it a pass to leave Earth. Out in the cosmos there was a need for a creature like the suit, especially on peacekeeping missions to protect the galaxy at large. But it wasn't Thompson on the ship. Oh no. He thought he'd had it under control, but once the suit got what it wanted? It took over. It went back to where it belonged.

With me. We're no thug for the government, like Gargan. And while he's a good man and we respect him, we're no agent. No. We're simply..
Venom

It feels good to be whole again. Thompson did his part getting us into space. We'll keep up the facade a little bit longer, but no one can do what we do as well as we do. Eddie Brock is part of the suit, and the suit is part of Eddie Brock. We are one and the same. Maybe we'll see home again.

Not that we care much for family. Sentry threw our spawn into space. We know what our kind can survive, and we don't know where Kassidy went off to. Not that it matters right now. We'll find them eventually. But right now, there's good that needs done. We did a lot of horrible things back on Earth, and we hope doing something a bit.. bigger.. can make up for it.

Venom (Eddie Brock, public)

Affiliations
Solo d10
Buddy d8
Team d6

Distinctions
Forged by Adversity
Lethal Protector
We are Venom

Symbiote
Enhanced Durability D8
Enhanced Senses D8
Shapeshifting D8
Superhuman Reflexes D10
Superhuman Stamina D10
Superhuman Strength D10
Wall-Crawling D8
Web-Slinging D8

SFX: Claws. Step back the highest die in an attack action pool to add a D6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Envelop. When inflicting a restraining or immobilizing complication on a target, add a D6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Symbiote powers in your dice pool, at –1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Spider-Stealth. The Spider-Sense SFX cannot be used in a reaction against a dice pool including a Symbiote power.
Limit: Emotionally Unstable. Step up emotional stress received to add a D6 doom die, or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.
Limit: Klyntar Vulnerability. Step up stress, trauma, or complications from fire- or sonic based attacks and step up the lowest die in the doom pool or add a D6 doom die.
Limit: We Share The Pain. After taking a reaction against fire-based or sonic-based attacks, take emotional stress equal to the attack’s effect die -1, regardless of physical stress taken and step up the lowest die in the doom pool or add a D6 doom die.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Media Expert D8
Menace Master D10

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 20, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Astus posted:

Also, I'm a little weirded out that Cyclop's Space Pirate Deadbeat Dad turned out to be one of the more serious apps for this game.

Doom is always serious, mortal

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Updated the reasoning but not too sure how to handle the powers, anyone who knows more want to give me some tips?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Retro Futurist posted:

Updated the reasoning but not too sure how to handle the powers, anyone who knows more want to give me some tips?

I think the thing that sticks out to me is a couple of the SFX. "Relentless" heals you completely AND steps up your damage for a PP and adding your stress to the doom pool. It feels like they mashed two SFX together into one. I get the idea that it's trying to convey (causing collateral damage in the course of coming after someone) I think a more simple solution would be something like "borrow a die from the doom pool for your next action, then step it up and return it" OR just "move your physical stress into the doom pool." I think having what is essentially a healing factor that is also a damage boost is kind of a hat-on-a-hat.

Also, "The Devil's Due" is going to need revising due to how we're playing counter-attacks. I think the way I handled these SFX in past games was to make them a -1 PP cost for counter-attacks instead of just giving you freebie attacks all the way up like it works in the game.

Finally, if you are going to go the "borrow a dice from the doom pool" route for Relentless, then "Hell on Earth" is redundant and you might as well drop it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Do we have a deadline? Hoping to have somebody up this weekend.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The deadline will be Monday late afternoon/early evening/whenever I get back home and am sufficiently recaffeinated.

Retro Futurist: Defiance Industries's advice is sound. I am going to take a pass at the datafile and see if I can't consolidate/revise the power sets a bit more.

John Dyne: Love the background for Venom's space superheroing. Also am wondering if his webbing can patch minor hull breaches. And the Thing would make sense if the Human Torch is around, and be even more fun if Doom is, too....

Astus: Deadbeat dad space pirate looks good. For the 3 xp Shi'ar milestone, maybe when you face or successfully evade a Shi'ar attempt to bring you in?

RandallODim: Nova Shocker was really something that had to happen. The expert artist rendering is :discourse:

Weregoat: The Ultron Identity/Ultimatum/Supremacy approach makes sense and I think the three potential entry points do, too. (Though my favorite is the pirate salvage and subsequent joining up.) Corbeau's Star space gear is very interesting, though I'm curious what the Transmutation involves.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Pirate salvage it is!

Short range transmutation beam! Normally used for experiments, changing one element to another for various scientific purposes. It would be dangerous and irresponsible to use it outside of a laboratory.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ibntumart posted:

John Dyne: Love the background for Venom's space superheroing. Also am wondering if his webbing can patch minor hull breaches. And the Thing would make sense if the Human Torch is around, and be even more fun if Doom is, too....

I've honestly got a preference towards Venom but yeah the Thing was so I could have more interactions with other players.

Though if Nova Shocker gets in I can definitely harass him as Venom. "What, are you out here to rob space banks or something?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I had some other ideas I've been juggling until the last minute, but the number of FF luminaries in the thread had me drag myself back to revising a certain character from the last Annihilation thread...

pre:

Galacta, Daughter of Galactus

Affiliations: 	Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions:	Daughter of the Devourer
		Raw Self-Loathing
		Unlikely Guardian of Worlds

Power Sets:	Power Cosmic

Cosmic Blast d12	Cosmic Supremacy d12
		Godlike Durability d12	Godlike Reflexes d12
		Godlike Senses d12	Godlike Stamina d12
		Godlike Strength d12	Shapeshifting d8
		Space Flight d12	Telepathy d10
		Teleport d12		Transmutation d10

SFX:		Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 and keep +1 effect die.
		Cosmic Multitool. When using the Power Cosmic to create assets, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
		Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress or trauma from heat, cold, radiation, pressure, or vacuum.
		Invulnerability. Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress or trauma.
		Multipower. Add more than one Power Cosmic die to a pool. Step back each Power Cosmic power die in that pool once for
		each die beyond the first.

Limit:		Cosmic Hunger. Step back all Power Cosmic powers by one step to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity to recover.
		TMI. When using Godlike Senses, both 1 and 2 on her dice count as opportunities.
		Wormhole Generation. Teleport may only be used across interstellar or intergalactic distances.

Dining Ensemble

Cosmic Utensils d10	Superhuman Senses d10

SFX:		Snacking. If a biological or mythical target is stressed out by Cosmic Utensils and she chooses to consume it, she may
		step back one of her stress dice by 1 step. If she has no stress dice, she may step back the highest die in the doom
		pool.
		Verify and Clarify. Spend 1 PP to add Superhuman Senses (or step up by 1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice
		when taking an action.

Limit		Gear. Shutdown Dining Ensemble to game 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Dining Ensemble.

Specialties	Combat Expert d8	Cosmic Master d10
		Covert Expert d8	Mystic Expert d8
		Science Master d10	Tech Master d10

Milestones	Rebellious Psuedo-Teenager

1 XP	when you comment or tweet flippantly regarding cosmic or alien matters.
		3 XP	when you successfully prevent a world-devastating crisis.
		10 XP	when you choose to finally oppose your father's hungry directly and deny your heritage forcefully, or come to
			understand Galactus' place in the universe and take a place by his side.

Godlike Cosmic Omnivore

1 XP	when you discuss your eating habits or the gastronomic qualities of a particular species.
		3 XP	when you consume biomass while still conforming to your strict standards of ethics and sustainability.
		10 XP	when you find a way to resolve your hunger issues in the long term, or discard your ethics to resign yourself to
			your ruthless appetite.

History: Any complex, energetic enough system can conceivably develop life; however, even the cosmic being known as Galactus never expected he would spawn. Of course, there was the essential dilemma in eating for two, and eventually he ejected the creature that would later call herself Gali. Intrigued by this phenomenon, he shared fragments of his knowledge with her in an attempt to educate her. However, her young cosmic awareness was unable to filter out the fear and suffering caused by Galactus' acts, and she fled, seeking to avoid his fate. Able to survive on comparatively tiny amounts of life - though still a massive amount compared to most biological creatures - she sought find a path to assuage her young hunger without resorting to planetary genocide. (Not the correct term, but she generally anthromorphizes it to avoid confusing lesser sentients.) Eventually, she opted to hide near the one place her father might hesitate to tread - Earth.

There, she found a world wrought with invasive species, dangerous biological experiments, macroscale monsters, and other animals she could consume without causing any serious risk or suffering to Earth's inhabitants. Indeed, she generally seeks to only consume foreign or designed life that presents a threat to a planet's biosphere - generally only non-sentient. Unlike her father, she believes in a strict standard of sustainability, and dreads the idea of ending up like her father, gorging herself on entire worlds. Instead, she seeks means to feed her cosmic hunger in more positive ways.

Personality: Gali is much more human than her "father", and is fond of most sentients - at least in the abstract. It's more a position born out of moral righteousness than true affection, as in face to face meetings, she tends to find most biological creatures slow and dull-witted from her perspective. Nonetheless, she still finds their art and technology fascinating, or at least a momentary respite from her high-demand appetite. When not working to preserve worlds, much of her existence is built up on finding creative (and ethical!) means to assuage her hunger. As such, she tends to obsess on her food - and how it relates to her father - to an unhealthy level. Or maybe it's perfectly healthy for a somewhat abstract cosmic being; anthropomorphization is hard to avoid in these sorts of texts.

Abilities & Resources: Though even though she possesses only a tiny silver of the Power Cosmic compared to her father, Gali is a godlike being comparable to his Galactus' Heralds, though with far greater future potential. She can transform matter and energy, react at speeds far beyond those of most lifeforms, travel across the cosmos in a moment, is immensely strong and nearly unkillable, and so on. Though she has Cosmic Awareness, she tends not to rely on it, as tends to overwhelm her; her skill at "filtering" incoming information is dodgy at best. As a result, she often relies on her own technology to retrieve data and seek out new meals.

Gali retains her knowledge of Galactus' technology, though her grasp of it is the Celestial equivalent of a baking soda volcano. It's still mind-boggling to your average bipedal sapient, but she largely uses it to aid in her feeding processes more than anything else, easing it . Generally speaking, she doesn't leave it lying around, relying on compact technology she can cloak using the Power Cosmic. In theory, she could turn to her father for aid, but she is immensely reluctant to do so, and he is inclined to let her survive on her own merits, patient enough to wait to see how she develops over time rather than meddle.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I might tap out unless you guys are super into hand holding. I’m always interested in these Things but have yet to do one, I barely get my data file as is and I’m honestly not sure I understand DI's changes either. I apologize, I’m happy to stick around but I don’t want to slow you guys down too much

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Retro Futurist posted:

I might tap out unless you guys are super into hand holding. I’m always interested in these Things but have yet to do one, I barely get my data file as is and I’m honestly not sure I understand DI's changes either. I apologize, I’m happy to stick around but I don’t want to slow you guys down too much

Hey, every game has someone who doesn't understand what's going on and that's 100% cool because sometimes it's the GM.

Let me look at your sheet and DI's changes and kinda let you know what he's talking about so things make more sense.

E: Okay the big thing I'm seeing is that your Relentless SFX is really, really strong.

SFX: Relentless. As part of an action, spend a PP and move Physical Stress to the Doom Pool and step up a trait +1 for this action.

The core mechanic of the game is rolling dice and picking out three from your roll, two of which you add together to form a target number and the third of which is the effect dice you inflict upon the enemy. d12 is the highest it will go, and going above that on any sort of stress will 'stress out' the character and remove them from the fight, basically.

This SFX removes your physical stress and throws it in the doom pool, which ibuntmart will use to completely and utterly gently caress us over as the game goes on. At I think 2d12 he can end the scene against our favor immediately. In addition to this, it will take one of your traits (which are the things like Hellfire Blast, etc.) and step it up one level, meaning it will go from a d10 to a d12.

Having something that heals you and also makes you possibly more likely to succeed is a bit powerful, especially in combination with other possible SFX. If you used this with Fury of Hell you could have 2d12 from just one trait, and you would still be adding things like a distinction (a d8), another power from a different power set (possibly another d10), and a specialty (another possible d10), not counting any other benefits other players might through your way. This is all for 1 PP as well, which isn't that insane of a cost. With Hell on Earth, you could easily just take back your stress die and use it.

SFX: Hell on Earth. Add a die from the Doom Pool for one or more attack actions. Step up the die +1 for each action. Return it to the Doom Pool when you’re done.

What Defiance Industry is suggesting is to limit Relentless to either simply heal you, or take a die from the doom pool; if you go the route for Doom Pool, then you'd want to remove either Hell on Earth or Relentless since they'd then be the same SFX.

Devil's Due, on the other hand, gives you a free counter attack on every successful defense roll. When you're attacked, you get to form a dice pool just like when you're attacking to try to defend against the enemy's attack; the rules state that if you succeed, you can spend a PP to inflict your effect die as a counter attack. This SFX makes the counter attack free if you succeed, and the PP cost comes in making the damage nastier. Here's what I suggest for the SFX:

SFX: The Devils Due. When you roll a successful reaction to a Physical attack and spend a PP to counter-attack, you may instead inflict Mental stress rather than Physical.

This way, you may still inflict Physical stress with a counter-attack but hold the option to make it a different damage type, and you're no longer getting free counter attacks with the possibility of immediately stressing out your opponent if the rolls go hilariously against them. As it stands, if you beat an enemy by 5 or more, you bump up your effect die once for each 5 you beat them by. With your d10's, it's entirely possible you do that with the SFX as it stands.

Here, these two cheat sheets should help you out. The first is specifically geared towards what YOU can do each turn, while the other is a general rules rundown.

http://nerdnyc.com/tmp/marvel/Hero-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

http://nerdnyc.com/tmp/marvel/Watcher-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 23, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Shocker's brief backstory is finished. I wouldn't expect myself to have a Yondu app any time soon, either, for reasons of 'can't figure out how to make a datafile work/fun', so once again, I play to type.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Finished up Corsair's milestones, although the 10 xp for Unfinished Business with the Shi'ar could probably be written better. Gave the Starjammer some distinctions too, so only thing left is thinking of a third SFX for Tools of the Trade.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

John Dyne posted:

SFX: The Devils Due. When you roll a successful reaction to a Physical attack and spend a PP to counter-attack, you may instead inflict Mental stress rather than Physical.

This way, you may still inflict Physical stress with a counter-attack but hold the option to make it a different damage type, and you're no longer getting free counter attacks with the possibility of immediately stressing out your opponent if the rolls go hilariously against them. As it stands, if you beat an enemy by 5 or more, you bump up your effect die once for each 5 you beat them by. With your d10's, it's entirely possible you do that with the SFX as it stands.

The other thing I was saying is that, unless ibn wants to correct me, we're using the house rules for counter-attacks I cooked up in one of my other games, where counter-attacks increase in cost as their power increases. Making them free is therefore a net savings of up to 3 PP instead of just one.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Defiance Industries posted:

The other thing I was saying is that, unless ibn wants to correct me, we're using the house rules for counter-attacks I cooked up in one of my other games, where counter-attacks increase in cost as their power increases. Making them free is therefore a net savings of up to 3 PP instead of just one.

Yeah I didn't see anything about a house rule in the OP and I know nothing about that house rule, so :v:

My write up is based on RAW.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok thanks, that's all super helpful. I've updated with those changes in mind

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ibn, did you die?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Sorry all, the last few days were unexpectedly busy with travel and trying to find a way to not be unemployed. Things are cool now. So onwards....

Here is the future frontline against the Annihilation Wave:
  • Lager/Master Pandemonium
  • Defiance Industries/Doctor Doom
  • RandallODim/Nova Shocker
  • John Dyne/Venom
  • Weregoat/Ultron
  • Astus/Corsair
  • Retro Futurist/Ghost Rider
  • Dachshundofdoom/Silver Goblin

And yes, that's more than six, but there is a poo poo ton of things happening in this Event book and people will no doubt split off on various missions on a constant basis.

Astus, for Corsair's third SFX, maybe something like Killing Strike. Step back the highest die in your attack pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted?

We are indeed using modified counterattack rules, which I will add to the OP presently.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

:yotj:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I love that this game looks like it'll be everyone making fun of Corsair and Ghost Rider for being a pair of goodie two shoes. And Master Pandemonium trying super duper hard to keep his hands from embarrassing him in front of Senpai Doctor Doom.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ah, I wish I'd known you were so down on that notion. Alas.

Well, hopefully there'll be another such game someday. Have fun!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:toot:

Can't wait to confusedly stumble my way through this and make you all regret letting me join!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

Can't wait to confusedly stumble my way through this and make you all regret letting me join!

:same:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Retro Futurist posted:

Already there! :downs:

I look forward to Kingsley and Brock being the only people who know who the gently caress the Shocker is and being jock buddies.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
So I figure this is roughly how this whole group got together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hZ-il7Ey9I&t=25s

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're all here to admire Doom's greatest creation yet, Ultron! The robot Doom made!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

You're all here to admire Doom's greatest creation yet, Ultron! The robot Doom made!

You're not my real dad!
1xp whenever Doom says something which implies he is Ultron's creator.
3xp when you find evidence that supports or undermines Doom's claim.
10xp when you accept Doom as your father, get a hug and go play space-catch, or when you call Doom a Deadbeat Dad point out that you were drifting in space alone for years, and foster all the Doombots (as Doom is clearly an unfit parent).

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 27, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dachshundofdoom posted:

So I figure this is roughly how this whole group got together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hZ-il7Ey9I&t=25s

"And the humorous, but sinister, Shocker" "aw geez"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RandallODim posted:

"And the humorous, but sinister, Shocker" "aw geez"

Man, what was Riddler even supposed to do on a team with Sinestro (whose power is to have a ring that can do anything) and Bizarro (who is Superman but funny)

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Man, what was Riddler even supposed to do on a team with Sinestro (whose power is to have a ring that can do anything) and Bizarro (who is Superman but funny)

Mostly he'd phone up the Superfriends and tell them what the Legion was up to.

I'm not kidding, I've watched every episode of the Superfriends and that's about 90% of the Riddler's contribution in the episodes where he appears. He was basically an honorary member of the Justice League.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean, I should be surprised but the team is being run by Lex Luthor, a completely ordinary guy who chooses to be arch-enemies with Superman.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
A lot of the villains in the Legion of Doom have literally no loving superpowers and have decided to arch against people who can bench a Toyota for a warm up. I mean, Toyman is basically Luthor's retarded little cousin who doesn't get to use any of Lex's kryptonite when he makes killer teddy bears to fight Superman. Black Manta's just a pirate in a cybernetic scuba suit.

Half of the team is outclassed by the loving gorilla, who has an actual loving superpower other than 'makes killer robots' which I think is the schtick of about 85% of Superman's rogues gallery.

Also Cheetah looks like a lady in pajamas but is actually a deity, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I added the counter reaction house rule to the OP. I should have the first IC post up later today.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, I wish I'd known you were so down on that notion. Alas.

Not at all! I almost went for having 10 PCs, but my craziness does have limits. I think.

Plus there are scenes where new PCs can easily be slotted in, so I'm treating the other applications as a reserve roster.

John Dyne posted:

Also Cheetah looks like a lady in pajamas but is actually a deity, so there's that.

Huh. I always thought she was basically an acrobatic furry with claws.

• Locked thread