Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mod sassinator posted:

You don't need to spam a link twice. People will see something and watch it if they're interested.

I WILL say this though - kind of dubious of a link to a site that has the youtube video linked in it, but only because most people just post the youtube link. So... the total skeptic in me is going, "yeah no this is a ploy." Even if the web page is giving away free kittens and candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

mod sassinator posted:

You don't need to spam a link twice. People will see something and watch it if they're interested.

Ah, you are right, thank you.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

magnificent7 posted:

I WILL say this though - kind of dubious of a link to a site that has the youtube video linked in it, but only because most people just post the youtube link. So... the total skeptic in me is going, "yeah no this is a ploy." Even if the web page is giving away free kittens and candy.

Here are the youtube links, you are correct.

How Big Oil Conquered the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnk-f2ThpE

Why Big Oil conquered the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wlNey9t7hQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LadyPictureShow posted:

One that isn't horribly depressing and is actually a quick little watch clocking in about 45 minutes is 'Long Shot'. A man is accused of murdering a key witness to a crime his cousin was involved in. But it couldn't have been him, he took his daughter to a Dodgers game that day. But the prosecution isn't convinced.

The amount of 'you have proof but it's not enough' the defense attorney faced was nuts.

Thanks for this, just watched this on Netflix and it's great/infuriating

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know, Burns' Vietnam confirms for me what I always suspected since his Civil War doc nurtured the ultimate fake grievance, Lost Causeism. It's very well done though, obviously, just like Civil War.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 27, 2017

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know, Burns' Vietnam confirms for me what I always suspected since his Civil Wat doc nurtured the ultimate fake grievance, Lost Causeism. It's very well done though, obviously, just like Civil War.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this. I did find the last episode of the whole thing a little odd. After ten hours they don't really give you any concluding point beyond this nice message that everyone should just move on and heal, backed with The Beatles' Let It Be for added oversentimentality.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Anyone watch the Frontline Putin doc?

Edit: i got 10 mins in, its dumb as hell

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 27, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean by this. I did find the last episode of the whole thing a little odd. After ten hours they don't really give you any concluding point beyond this nice message that everyone should just move on and heal, backed with The Beatles' Let It Be for added oversentimentality.

It's way, way too fair to the aggressor, you know, the country whose leadership that decided for a still unclear reason to invade a country nine thousand miles away.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

It's way, way too fair to the aggressor, you know, the country whose leadership that decided for a still unclear reason to invade a country nine thousand miles away.

and then literally goes out of its way to emphasize "we just left and stopped talking to the government" and concludes... nothing? I guess? Let It Be, roll credits.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno, what are you expecting? The movie ends just like the war... with confusion, pain and suffering. There's really no way to tie up loose ends or draw some deeper meaning other than it was a waste of many lives.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, what are you expecting? The movie ends just like the war... with confusion, pain and suffering. There's really no way to tie up loose ends or draw some deeper meaning other than it was a waste of many lives.

yeah, except that's not so. Vietnam and southeast Asia continued to exist, continued to fight, and it was a critical and meaningful part of a major struggle in the history of western imperialism. There are lots of ways to discern meaning from the extended conflict ~1950-1980 in the extended Mekong region and the fact that Americans were confused by losing a war doesn't mean the actual conflict was confusing.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

mod sassinator posted:

The problem with the lack of any concluding note is that it turns the film into what feels like a rather droll series of unfortunate incidences which aren't weighted with any judgemental perspective. Kennedy's naivety over Diem's removal and Nixon's sabotaging of the Paris peace talks are passed over in exactly the same way as though they are decisions equal in nature.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mod sassinator posted:

But that's ridiculous. The most obvious and direct meaning, especially relevant to now, is that US adventurism and warmongering is totally pointless and is deservedly a source of shame. You can't both-sides it when one side is repelling a senseless invasion from the most powerful nation in the world.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

and then literally goes out of its way to emphasize "we just left and stopped talking to the government" and concludes... nothing? I guess? Let It Be, roll credits.

The CNN thing on the Fall of Saigon is especially great about this, at times they seem mad that the NVA didn't do Khmer Rouge style orgiastic purges the instant the US left. They literally have no story to tell if the lack of their presence isn't unchecked barbarity, so they just forget the whole thing, pretend it never happened, that place never existed, and the worst thing of all that could've possibly happened if anything did actually happen is the toll it took on Our Boys.

DeimosRising posted:

yeah, except that's not so. Vietnam and southeast Asia continued to exist, continued to fight, and it was a critical and meaningful part of a major struggle in the history of western imperialism. There are lots of ways to discern meaning from the extended conflict ~1950-1980 in the extended Mekong region and the fact that Americans were confused by losing a war doesn't mean the actual conflict was confusing.

By deliberately aestheticizing the conflict, you don't have to explain things like, say, the NVA rolling back the CIA-backed Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 27, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
A propos, this week's episode of the podcast Citations Needed goes into a critique of KB's Vietnam. If you're into media critique and politics you should be listening anyway but this is a good place to start.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I guess I have strong feelings about this, reading some older comments.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

A propos, this week's episode of the podcast Citations Needed goes into a critique of KB's Vietnam. If you're into media critique and politics you should be listening anyway but this is a good place to start.

Listening now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 27, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Don't forget about the pearl-clutching vilifying of supposed "communist sympathizers" that lead to people getting blacklisted and thrown on government watch lists.

People STILL bring up communists like they're the loving boogeyman and that poo poo is just so loving funny to me in the age of unchecked capitalism absolutely wrecking the environment and the American male Sandy Hook and Vegas-style shooters.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I guess maybe you guys have just never seen a Ken Burns documentary and expected something different? It was exactly the same as all his other documentaries: more informational and immersive than trying to draw grand conclusions or make judgements. You can crucify him for that if you want but he has never pretended to be anything other than what he is: a documentarian that attempts to capture major periods in American history. Being totally judgmental and vilifying one side throughout the documentary wouldn’t exactly portray an accurate idea of the United States during the War.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mahoning posted:

I guess maybe you guys have just never seen a Ken Burns documentary and expected something different? It was exactly the same as all his other documentaries: more informational and immersive than trying to draw grand conclusions or make judgements. You can crucify him for that if you want but he has never pretended to be anything other than what he is: a documentarian that attempts to capture major periods in American history. Being totally judgmental and vilifying one side throughout the documentary wouldn’t exactly portray an accurate idea of the United States during the War.

Yeah but if KB trying to develop his art form, tackling a topic like Vietnam presents an opportunity to actually do something different, because the material he's working with is informative on its face. Archival color video footage and living, breathing interviewees for like the majority of the piece provide that grounding in fact and immersion.

It's also a more nuanced topic than say, Baseball. The Civil War. I know he's done stuff with the Central Park five recently, but why even dig so dang deeply into a gray zone like this if you're not trying to... examine? It critically?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

ah yes, the objective and unbiased approach of US Humanitarian War, the true gods eye view

Maybe u guys should grow up and realize Ken Burns is an ADULT and isnt going to let his art be ruined by petty PARTISANSHIP

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Jesus Christ you guys are dumb. It’s like watching a Spielberg film and asking why it’s not a romantic comedy.

“Actually I read an article about the Vietnam War and....”
:goonsay:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The dude has been nominated for multiple academy awards and won quite a few emmys. I think it's safe to say Ken Burns knows what he's doing more than random people on the internet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

mod sassinator posted:

The dude has been nominated for multiple academy awards and won quite a few emmys. I think it's safe to say Ken Burns knows what he's doing more than random people on the internet.

This explains why Jim Parsons is the funniest man in the world.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^this too

mod sassinator posted:

Better not critically examine anything ever then, or apply a different perspective to art.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

It’s just classic dick measuring “you’re not liberal enough” bullshit. Like the entire documentary didn’t have a single nice thing to say about the American government or American involvement but some people still wanted the US to be even more vilified despite the fact that it would have thrown off the tone of the entire documentary.

Vietnam is one of those “Baby’s First American History Lesson” things that wanna-be super liberals on the internet love to throw their weight around with because they read a book or something.

But apparently they needed the last episode to be 2 hours of “white devil” chanted over and over until we led up to the present day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahoning posted:

Jesus Christ you guys are dumb. It’s like watching a Spielberg film and asking why it’s not a romantic comedy.

“Actually I read an article about the Vietnam War and....”
:goonsay:

You do know that there are hundreds of books and films about the Vietnam War, and 99% of the posters here from the US have living relatives that vividly remember the period, right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

You do know that there are hundreds of books and films about the Vietnam War, and 99% of the posters here from the US have living relatives that vividly remember the period, right?

So then why is your posting about it so bad?

edit: Also LOL at a living relative that vividly remembers that period. As if that matters. My parents graduated high school in 68 and 69. My mom knew one of the victims of the KSU shooting. They thought it was a perfectly fair representation of the period. My dad called it one of the best things he ever watched. Your bullshit opinion does not matter one bit to me.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 28, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahoning posted:

Forgot to stick the POW-MIA flag on at the end.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Mahoning posted:

It’s just classic dick measuring “you’re not liberal enough” bullshit. Like the entire documentary didn’t have a single nice thing to say about the American government or American involvement but some people still wanted the US to be even more vilified despite the fact that it would have thrown off the tone of the entire documentary.

Vietnam is one of those “Baby’s First American History Lesson” things that wanna-be super liberals on the internet love to throw their weight around with because they read a book or something.

But apparently they needed the last episode to be 2 hours of “white devil” chanted over and over until we led up to the present day.

Hello projection my old fwend

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahoning posted:

edit: Also LOL at a living relative that vividly remembers that period. As if that matters. My parents graduated high school in 68 and 69. My mom knew one of the victims of the KSU shooting. They thought it was a perfectly fair representation of the period. My dad called it one of the best things he ever watched. Your bullshit opinion does not matter one bit to me.

Are you alright?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

STOP TRYING TO JANE FONDA UP THE BEST THING MY DAD EVER WATCHED

lmao this dude rules

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 28, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Forgot to stick the POW-MIA flag on at the end.

Please tell us the name of the book you read for your senior year Modern American History class that was not biased and was really fair.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

Are you seriously melting down because some people don't agree with how Ken Burns represented the Vietnam War? I'm really sorry I didn't know it was so important to you

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

STOP TRYING TO JANE FONDA UP THE BEST THING MY DAD EVER WATCHED

Jerking off to Jane Fonda is better than jerking off to That Vietnam Book I Read.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Are you seriously melting down because some people don't agree with how Ken Burns represented the Vietnam War? I'm really sorry I didn't know it was so important to you

I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR BEING WHITE ANY LONGER

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mahoning posted:

Are you always a giant baby when someone isn't 100 percent on a thing you like?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Jerking off to Jane Fonda is better than jerking off to That Vietnam Book I Read.

Step away from the keyboard, son. Log off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Are they melting down because of how Ken Burns represented the Vietnam War?

Sorry that I disagree with them and I’m willing to call their opinion dumb. It seriously reeks of Baby’s First Documentary and a bunch of 18 year olds that totally learned about this in history class and knows better than you.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

Are they melting down because of how Ken Burns represented the Vietnam War?

no

FWIW everyone you're talking to is in their 30s

Like I don't know what credentials you want people to have before they can state an opinion that contradicts Kenneth Burns and his Documentary Crew. Do you want a bibliography? Photos of time spent in Vietnam? Your dad liking the series is just emblematic of how the series timidly says nothing interesting about Vietnam. It's a very well done but totally spineless presentation of exactly the popular consensus on Vietnam. Incidentally, the popular consensus is bullshit

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 28, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Are you always a giant baby when someone isn't 100 percent on a thing you like?

Do you have an opinion on it or are you just making GBS threads this discussion up even more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

no

FWIW everyone you're talking to is in their 30s

Sorry I don’t keep track of how old everyone is on a single thread on an internet discussion forum.

You do?