Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe I don't follow these sorts of things that closely, but what the heck has the "fandom" done to make goons hate Barb so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I avoid that by never going on the internet.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe I don't follow these sorts of things that closely, but what the heck has the "fandom" done to make goons hate Barb so much?
I'm pretty sure most of the hate is ironic, but it's basically because the fandom made a huge deal out of Barbara not getting enough time dedicated to her, and apparently her death was "glossed over" even though a single recurring character even cared about her.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's a literal shrine to Barb in the first episode.

I think Barb kind of fell victim to being meme-ified which skyrocketed a fairly small, visually interesting, but utilitarian character into the spotlight.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

business hammocks posted:

It’s shot and lit and edited like something modern, but the performances seem really 80s-appropriate a lot of the time, along with the sets and costumes being perfectly accurate.

What's interesting is that the era this show portrays is as old now as the 50s was in BTTF. So if you're Gen X, and you grew up then, think about how quaint the 50s seemed as portrayed in BTTF. Those of us of that age can't truly experience what seeing this era so faithfully recreated must be like for a Gen Z kid. I wonder if the rotary phones and no internet and old cars are as jarring and old fashioned for them as BTTF was for us?

SirSamVimes posted:

this needs to be posted on every page

Indeed.

This is the moment I fell in love with Steve, and it wasn't just because of the hair. What was so great about him was we had that misdirection where he was portrayed as the typical 80s bro-douche who hung out with rear end in a top hat friends. But it was misdirection, because if you look back it was his friends who were douchey and he felt genuine remorse for his actions. It was a bit like Kane in The 100, where with editing and musical cues he seemed very menacing in the first season, but turns out he was a very noble guy who was trying to do the best for the human race under difficult circumstances. Steve was supposed to be 80s Movie rear end in a top hat Teen, and we were led to believe that. Then when he has the choice to bro home and get out of danger, he mans up and stands with Nancy and Jonathan. And even then, I figured he'd die right away, going up against the Demigorgon with a bat. But when he twirled it I was like "Oh poo poo, he's awesome!" I will be very interested to see where they take him this season, as his and Nancy's life goes "back to normal." Will he regress into douchery? Or remain totally cool? :allears:

The other big thing I'm interested in seeing is how Will interacts with the group. The whole last season was "find Will" and we didn't see much of him with his friends except in the first episode at the D&D game. It will be a big deal seeing how the group of 3 friends becomes 4 again. It's basically like we watched a show about 3 friends and we heard how they had this other, unseen friend who was totally cool, but we have no experience seeing him with them. And suddenly he shows up. A change to the dynamic for sure. You have to wonder if they can make it believable from an acting standpoint--the chemistry between the 3 kids was so good, can they bring in a 4th person and make it work and seem like he was always there?

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 27, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fister Roboto posted:

she was as aforementioned a fun but utilitarian character who people memeified with a combination of some real gross rear end slutshaming by pretending Nancy was the absolute worst for daring to have premarital sex and Barb was awesome for being a boring socially awkward wet blanket. Basically it was a bunch of losers identifying with a bit character because it validated their lame lives and literally memeing her actress into an Emmy nomination.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
What time is the show going to be released?

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

3am EST. Not sure about other time zones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

she was as aforementioned a fun but utilitarian character who people memeified with a combination of some real gross rear end slutshaming by pretending Nancy was the absolute worst for daring to have premarital sex and Barb was awesome for being a boring socially awkward wet blanket. Basically it was a bunch of losers identifying with a bit character because it validated their lame lives and literally memeing her actress into an Emmy nomination.

I think you might be projecting a little.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

AARO posted:

What time is the show going to be released?

Netflix has a countdown clock on their front page.

Midnight Pacific.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

rip in peace barb

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
10 mins

HAIL SATAN

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

What's interesting is that the era this show portrays is as old now as the 50s was in BTTF. So if you're Gen X, and you grew up then, think about how quaint the 50s seemed as portrayed in BTTF. Those of us of that age can't truly experience what seeing this era so faithfully recreated must be like for a Gen Z kid. I wonder if the rotary phones and no internet and old cars are as jarring and old fashioned for them as BTTF was for us?

I feel like there’s not the same degree of culture shock, that people still think about teens and socializing the same way. Maybe the attitude toward child safety is different, but Back to the Future was all about the way that attitudes and youth culture had shifted, and I feel like there hasn’t been a shift that big since the 80s.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Episode is finger lickin' good.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It really is more of a film sequel than the second season of a TV show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is great so far!

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Sounds like they expanded the budget for music licensing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This owns so far.

:madmax:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

In It For The Tank posted:

Episode is finger lickin' good.

Still better KFC product placement than that one episode of Battlestar Galactica

I was worried that the actor playing Will had a lot to prove after being such a minor character for most of the first season, but he pulls it off, at least in the first episode. The Duffer Brothers are also doing a good job keeping a lot of things spinning in the air, introducing at least three new characters and ending on a complete :wtc: moment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If anyone's binged it yet: how's the focus split between kids/teens/adults? I thought the kids and adults in s1 were awesome, but the teens dragged the show down incredibly badly, and my hope was pretty much that s2 would downplay the teens in favor of the parts of the cast that aren't aggressively awful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's only been out for an hour and a half so I'd be amazed if anyone binged it.

On 2 now and it's a good even split of focus so far.

e: also nancy and steve are great gdi

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 27, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I’m on episode three but the only lovely character so far is the new girls rear end in a top hat brother. Just a bad actor overall seems like

Samwise the electronics salesman is on point though

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, it's a pretty even split thus far, we'll see if it winds up with the storylines all being kind of going in different directions from each other like in S1, or if they start playing off each other.

Putting in an early nomination for Lucas' sister as best new character.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

On episode three and the only bad thing I have to say so far is that there's a noticeable increase in commercial music, almost too much, but that could just be because of the circumstances of these first two episodes. Basically the original soundtrack owns dammit play it more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The conversation about ghostbusters has been an early highlight of this season

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Typical Goon posted:

I’m on episode three but the only lovely character so far is the new girls rear end in a top hat brother. Just a bad actor overall seems like

Samwise the electronics salesman is on point though

I like Billy(?) a lot tbh, and Max is great too. Good additions all around, Sean Astin is killing it.

e:

BioThermo posted:

Putting in an early nomination for Lucas' sister as best new character.

Seconding this.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 27, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the science teacher back? I have to go to work now and can’t watch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

business hammocks posted:

Is the science teacher back? I have to go to work now and can’t watch.

Yes he is

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e3: We Gremlins now???

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm so happy this is back, too bad my internet free period only lasted 2 episodes, tomorrow is gonna be a long work day.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 27, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'm annoyed they did the sitcom thing of (episode 3 spoilers) person sees crush interacting with another person and immediately takes it in the worst possible way but the ending of the episode was some crazy poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm on second so far but I hope the new beau dork has a huge turnaround moment of being a badass himself.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

aw bob what have you done

this is why radio shack is out of business

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was only planning to watch the first episode tonight but it looks like I'm staying up to 3am. This is easily as good as the last season, maybe better!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Just finished 4. poo poo is about to go down. It is getting so good.

Nancy surprisingly being super crafty and courageous again. I love how you start out kind of being annoyed with certain characters but they end up being so badass, just like in the first season.

And the end with Hopper going into the tunnel was such a great shot to end with.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just finished 4 and they are killing it. Stoked on basically everything. Bed now, and then work till early afternoon and then it’s binging the final 5. Stoked.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wrapped up 4 as well! Tempted to stay up and finish, but I want to be awake and way more stoned when I continue this. Work tomorrow and I imagine I'll power through the rest right after.

Nancy and Joyce continue to own bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Hasn't poor Will suffered enough?

• Locked thread