Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Yea by all accounts the meat of this game is the "post game" The 8-12 hour stuff is just the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, how are some people playing this game already? I thought it wasn't supposed to be available until midnight?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm starting to get hype for this, but staring at portable screens makes me unconfortabl after a while and my main PC monitor can only take DisplayPort (and has no speakers anyway). I'm gonna have to make some sort of goofy PC/switch arrangement on my desk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Wait, how are some people playing this game already? I thought it wasn't supposed to be available until midnight?

Lawbreakers!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Some websites such as the one I order from send out copies early to ensure that they arrive by release date. Oftentimes this results in getting the game a day or two early.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah, great postal service!

also i hear that you could buy from the japanese eshop and since it's already unlocked there.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I saw footage confirming an outlandish rumor about a very very small world that's in the game and it's real and amazing and my hype is uncontrollable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For anyone else playing it, I can't find the Crazy Cap in Cascade Kingdom. Do I have to move on to the next location for it to open up?

Edit: found out for myself. Yep.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 27, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CuddlyZombie posted:

I saw footage confirming an outlandish rumor about a very very small world that's in the game and it's real and amazing and my hype is uncontrollable.

I don't want to be spoiled, but my hype is rising

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The game actually released midnight so uh, that's cool :yeah:

What's not so cool is that apparently there are a whole bunch of moves that you can only do with motion controls. Are there moons (or really, anything more important than coins) requiring the Spin Throw, etc.? I'm extremely baffled that they screw over handheld mode like this. I bought the Switch to play handheld :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can spin throw by twirling the stick instead.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this game in 1080p 60fps?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
oh gently caress midnight unlock baby!

I guess the preloading doesn't require the shop to update, it just checks the date!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mr Phillby posted:

oh gently caress midnight unlock baby!

I guess the preloading doesn't require the shop to update, it just checks the date!

Does that mean I should set my system time to EST to play earlier in the US?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can spin throw by twirling the stick instead.

:psyduck: why wouldn't they just put this in the move list

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Nintendo's truly elevated expectations for review scores this year. Metroid Prime 4 better get 7/5s or it's a flop.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this game in 1080p 60fps?

Adaptive resolution up to 900p w/ some semi-hidden resolution and animation cutting tricks to stay at 60fps.
Tech breakdown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOpdeMVB5_8

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My local Meijer had put the Amiibo out early. I tried to get one but the checkout lane cancelled the item and called an attendant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No. No.

Put it back.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
my body is SO ready

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's 9PM PST! You know what th-- no wait still locked.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Managed to get an hour in tonight, and I can confirm the Mario is good.

https://twitter.com/TheToadKing/status/923773251347660803

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is the best game ever made

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Toad King posted:

first clip of gameplay i've watched and yep i'm gonna have to finish shadow of war quick and find some way to get the switch comfortably used

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Detached joycon controllers really worth it versus the pro controller?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not at all, IMO. You can do all of the motion easily enough on the pro.
Actually, I can't consistently throw the hat upwards with joycons, but I can with the pro.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

gently caress the Jaxi, that is all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Got an hour and a half in, and I can confirm that this game is indeed good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toad King posted:

How do you jump after your hat like that in mid-air? :aaa:

also camera function should be in every game
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/923785431950311425

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I really like how they've integrated Ansel or whatever the picture-taking mode stuff is based on.

efb more pics pls

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Your Computer posted:

How do you jump after your hat like that in mid-air? :aaa:

You hit the ground pound button then hit Y to dive out of the starting flip animation. If you hold Y afterwards you can bounce off Cappy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh my god jaxi please

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I really dug the Jaxi. I found later animal/transport buddies worse to deal with.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
love this game but why's the camera gotta be so fucky

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's cool to see a game inspired by A Hat in Time released so soon. :) Here's hoping for a lot more Hat-in-Time-likes going forward, this new genre shows a lot of promise!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Men With Hats

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the joy con controls. The circular hat throw move is hard as hell for me to execute properly with detached joycons, never once got it to work on purpose. The motion controls keep feeling random on what the cap responds with. Got the circular throw to work only with joycons attached in a controller, but it's 50/50 whether it works. Sometimes Mario just flings the hat vertical into the air, sometimes he does the circle move. I've been killed a few times just because instead of executing the circle throw, he tossed the hat straight up and got clobbered by the enemies around him.

And the camera constantly seems to be in the wrong position and I'm always moving my right thumb back and forth between fixing the camera and the jump buttons. I'm in the Sand area now but I still can't seem to get used to the controls and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've died multiple times because the camera was in the wrong place and I couldn't see the cliff I was standing next to or because I went through a small opening in a wall and the camera was on the other side so I didn't see the Bullet Bills about to slam into me. Even the shaking the controller repeatedly to do the homing cap move seems hit or miss. This is frustrating. The controls feel loose and slippery and it's hard to enjoy the game.

Fruity Rudy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 27, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i love the mario game

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I thought I got pretty much all the moons in the desert and then I found the moon list and oooohhh boy I only have like a third of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Can you play this game entirely without motion controls? I'd like to, I even picked the option to disable them, but as far as I can tell that does nothing. I can't get them to work properly. Trying to do the 360 spin move is infuriating. If i could just do everything with the controller I'd have no problems with this so far.

• Locked thread