Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

google engineer doesn’t understand how permissions or app store vetting works, generates clickbait fodder for a billion headlines

https://twitter.com/krausefx/status/923210131889942528

meanwhile it took google 8 years to allow granular permissions at all. want a flashlight app? well, you have to give it an internet connection and access to your contacts and dialer so it can send all your data to their ad server!

also lol that he singles out ios when android can do the exact same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

spoke to a dude with a 13-tb macbook why he chose it and what he thinks about the bar etc mainly out of my personal curiosity

he said he’s always been a vim user and finds the lack of an escape key distressing

he also chose it himself

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

spoke to a dude with a 13-tb macbook why he chose it and what he thinks about the bar etc mainly out of my personal curiosity

he said he’s always been a vim user and finds the lack of an escape key distressing

he also chose it himself

turns out vim users are dumb and just like making things hard on themselves

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I regret buying my touchbar mbp. I hate the keyboard and the arrow keys. the touchbar itself is useless and sometimes distracting. and dongle life has been kind of a nightmare.

I should have bought a 5k iMac instead.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

meanwhile it took google 8 years to allow granular permissions at all. want a flashlight app? well, you have to give it an internet connection and access to your contacts and dialer so it can send all your data to their ad server!

also lol that he singles out ios when android can do the exact same thing

nobody cares about android security issues because we all assume that it’s already infested with spyware

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Scott Forstall posted:

iPhone SE is best phone. will replace it when there’s a SE-sized iPhone X

I got an 8+ and it was probably the biggest self-own I've made in months.

but the camera is really good so :shobon:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
talking about self-owns, i read like three novels on my iphone 5, bought an iphone 6s plus explicitly to make reading easier

i’ve read a single book on it since i purchased it lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

have you considered a kindle op

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Apple Debuts Thinnest CEO Yet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

yeah but only for like 3 or 6 months or some poo poo if you live in USA

a year, then its either extra to extend to three or if you used a card with warranty extension its filing a claim during the extension which is normally a year

Poopernickel posted:

I'm gonna tell IT to take that poo poo back and give me a windows machine with a real keyboard

that's right, even Windows 10 (tm) will be better than having to replace the logic board over and over again every 6 months

seriously I loved my last two mbps but apple really took a hard left with this one

apple: we're fixing the dumb Mac Pro

users: thats good

apple: but we're ruining the MacBook Pro

users: thats bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but it comes with a free apple watch!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's good

it has no use case

that's bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao gruber's lost it

quote:

So where do these rumors come from? I don’t know. My guess is that if there’s an intent behind them, it’s that competitors (cough, Samsung?) within the Asian supply chain are attempting to sow doubt about Face ID. The narrative presented by analysts and certain news reports this summer was that Apple was still scrambling to get Touch ID working embedded within the iPhone X display, suggesting that Face ID was their Plan B.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

lmao gruber's lost it

gruber sucks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

he's absolutely right that hardware decisions were all made 12-24 months ago but then he goes off the rails

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I regret buying my touchbar mbp. I hate the keyboard and the arrow keys. the touchbar itself is useless and sometimes distracting. and dongle life has been kind of a nightmare.

I should have bought a 5k iMac instead.

I was issued one as a work laptop and I hate the keyboard so much. The lack of depth means I'm constantly breaking my fingernails via normal everyday typing. Clearly there are no women on the keyboard team.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

I was issued one as a work laptop and I hate the keyboard so much. The lack of depth means I'm constantly breaking my fingernails via normal everyday typing. Clearly there are no women on the keyboard team.

There is only the hack jonny ives on that team

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Poopernickel posted:

I'm gonna tell IT to take that poo poo back and give me a windows machine with a real keyboard

but if u don't make them fix it they'll never learn their lesson

i have a 2017 model which supposedly has a slightly tweaked kb design so im just going to cover my eyes, plug my ears, and assume my kb won't crap out. probably should look into extending applecare tho :(

The Management posted:

omg, what if your camera is taking pictures of you in the bathroom??? imagine what they could do with thousands of photos of your knees, the toilet stall door, and your face as you’re posting.

idk, i guess it could be useful but why does the reddit app now have an augmented reality bra-fitting functionality built in??

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

google engineer doesn’t understand how permissions or app store vetting works, generates clickbait fodder for a billion headlines

https://twitter.com/krausefx/status/923210131889942528

its me im the google employee warning people that the products they use spy on them without their knowledge or consent

loooooooooooooooool

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i got an iphone 8

it's nice i guess, expect it to last several years before dying like my 5s just did

that's my story

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna new phone but tbh the 5s is actually absolutely fine and also marriage breakup.. lol at thinking i have any spending money

ufarn
May 30, 2009
anyone replaced the battery on their 5s? i think mine is worn down a bit, or it just acts really weirdly

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ufarn posted:

anyone replaced the battery on their 5s? i think mine is worn down a bit, or it just acts really weirdly

there was a batch of wonky batteries on the 5 and 5s, there's a checker hidden somewhere on the apple site that will take your phone serial and tell you if you're affected - my 5 was and I got a free battery swap.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ufarn posted:

i replaced the batt in my 6 and it helped a bunch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

there was a batch of wonky batteries on the 5 and 5s, there's a checker hidden somewhere on the apple site that will take your phone serial and tell you if you're affected - my 5 was and I got a free battery swap.

same but for my 6s

ufarn
May 30, 2009
hmm, there appears to have been an exchange program for 5s, but the link now redirects to the "current" list of exchange programs

was the battery you bought from apple or third party like ifixit?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
phone batteries degrade. after 2 years you’re probably at 80% of original capacity. it drops off rapidly after that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i also don't think there's a "service battery" warning like on macos, so i'm just wondering how easy it'd be to perform a diy replacement with ifixit

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
they added a service battery warning to phones a few updates ago.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I replaced the battery on my 5S a few weeks ago, it was really starting to go. Coconut Battery or whatever it's called said it was down to like 65% capacity but it was also clearly crapping out.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ufarn posted:

hmm, there appears to have been an exchange program for 5s, but the link now redirects to the "current" list of exchange programs

was the battery you bought from apple or third party like ifixit?

cool i can get rid of the crashes i get every month or so by fixing the lovely graphics in my macbook pro for free thanks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ah poo poo i actually have a late 2013 not an early 2013 :/

poty fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 27, 2017

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ufarn posted:

i replaced the battery on my stevephone 5 a couple months ago with a $20 ifixit kit and it's like a brand new phone

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the apple store is already down so i cant log in to the app to prepare to order the x quickly so i guess im not flipping a few of them after all whoops

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
jokes on me for being up at 3am to order the phonex

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I almost paid full price for an X until I saw the $30 upgrade fee and decided that was simply a bridge too far on a $1071 phone. I’ll wait until these features filter down to the poor people iPhones.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

tim "cripple apple" cook wasn't entirely dumb about the iphone x launch hence

:capitalism:

but i'm eager to learn how many dozens got built for delivery on day one

a million of a thing is a lot of things

five or ten million boxed objects is lunacy

any number of million that ends up being a frustratingly low amount of complex things built by foxconn hands at an unending pace is entirely abstract despite it maybe still being low in the scheme of wall street shame

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bulgakov posted:

tim "cripple apple" cook wasn't entirely dumb about the iphone x launch hence

:capitalism:

but i'm eager to learn how many dozens got built for delivery on day one

a million of a thing is a lot of things

five or ten million boxed objects is lunacy

any number of million that ends up being a frustratingly low amount of complex things built by foxconn hands at an unending pace is entirely abstract despite it maybe still being low in the scheme of wall street shame

exponential growth forever lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I almost paid full price for an X until I saw the $30 upgrade fee and decided that was simply a bridge too far on a $1071 phone. I’ll wait until these features filter down to the poor people iPhones.

LOL rule 36 bitxh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mad Wack posted:

jokes on me for being up at 3am to order the phonex

lol