Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i got an iphone 8

it's nice i guess, expect it to last several years before dying like my 5s just did

that's my story
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i am still doing well with my 2013 macbook air for general use but it's way too slow to work with camera raws so i think i'll just upgrade the home desktop pc from "$360 costco hp tower + monitor bundle" to an imac of some kind. not really sure what i'd need to run ps+lr well but i'll figure it out when i actually get closer to buying, maybe in the new year

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

i am still doing well with my 2013 macbook air for general use but it's way too slow to work with camera raws so i think i'll just upgrade the home desktop pc from "$360 costco hp tower + monitor bundle" to an imac of some kind. not really sure what i'd need to run ps+lr well but i'll figure it out when i actually get closer to buying, maybe in the new year

do u need an imac because ur a ~*CrEaTiVe PrOfEsSiOnAl*~?

I hear the bits come out warmer and more dynamic when you render them with an imac, confirm/deny

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

I still think installing macOS on a desktop PC is the best option for mac on the desktop. Unless you really like the design of the iMac. I don't.

This site is pretty good for showing which parts are compatible (even though they are amazon referral links) https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2017/

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kenny Logins posted:

whatever happened to that egpu thing, maybe you could use that? i don’t know anything about camera work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

do u need an imac because ur a ~*CrEaTiVe PrOfEsSiOnAl*~?

I hear the bits come out warmer and more dynamic when you render them with an imac, confirm/deny

MacOS is the nicest operation system to use. Some people value that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

MacOS is the nicest operation system to use
true, but it is still a piece of poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

whatever happened to that egpu thing, maybe you could use that? i dont know anything about camera work

Probably not going to work with a 2013 macbook air.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

FMguru posted:

true, but it is still a piece of poo poo

it’s real nice actually, i almost trust it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kenny Logins posted:

you could just chuck a graphics card in your hp machine and it'll probably be fine.

adobe stuff uses cuda to accelerate things right?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

you could just chuck a graphics card in your hp machine and it'll probably be fine.

adobe stuff uses cuda to accelerate things right?

I seem to remember reading that GPU isn't always faster than CPU encoders. And getting Adobe or whatever to use the right thing isn't always easy. Because Adobe's poo poo is garbage.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i'll consider all my options but i'd prefer to have macos for my desktop at home to work better with appletv, laptop, etc. plus i've enjoyed using it on laptop since i first got the 2011 mba

i also have my photos in icloud (200gb option) and i'm not taken with how icloud works w/ windows. i am ok with imac's design. besides i'd like to kick my windows pc over to my mom who desperately could use a desktop upgrade and clean slate since my dad passed (and his was already getting long in the tooth)

i'm not a creative pro by any means, but i am into photography and in particular have my infant daughter i take tons of photos with on a fuji mirrorless. i'll probably be on at least that pace for the next 10 years at least. i'd like to get into ps/lr because macos/ios photos is really not working for me at this point

my mirrorless is supposed to be getting an update soon that will let you use the camera's in-built image processor with a pc, i will see if that helps matters at all but i don't have high hopes for it being a complete solution

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 27, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Apple Debuts Thinnest CEO Yet

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I still think installing macOS on a desktop PC is the best option for mac on the desktop. Unless you really like the design of the iMac. I don't.

This site is pretty good for showing which parts are compatible (even though they are amazon referral links) https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2017/

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i’m all the components marketed “gaming” in a hackintosh setup

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

im all the components marketed gaming in a hackintosh setup

The cool thing is you can dual boot into windows if you wanna play call of duty. And then go back to the mac side when you want to do literally anything else.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i hope egpu enclosures become fairly well supported over the next 2 or 3 years so for my next computer i can just have a mbp to use normally and then fire up the ole outboard nvidia and boot into windows to do a little gameing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ios11 airplane mode doesn’t shut off Bluetooth anymore! I don’t have to manually reconnect my headphones every time I fly! thank you, apple

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just build a gaming pc

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
install gentoo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Poopernickel posted:

install gentoo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

akadajet posted:

The cool thing is you can dual boot into windows if you wanna play call of duty. And then go back to the mac side when you want to do literally anything else.

really the only reason i'm halfway considering getting a desktop machine that can do this is to play cuphead and gently caress with Breath Of The Wild hacks.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
playing nintendo games on any platform other than nintendo gaming devices is blasphemy to Our Lord Who Art in Heaven Gunpei Yokoi and His Servant on Earth Shigeru Miyamoto (pbuh)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

playing nintendo games on any platform other than nintendo gaming devices is blasphemy to Our Lord Who Art in Heaven Gunpei Yokoi and His Servant on Earth Shigeru Miyamoto (pbuh)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

I barely have any idea what Gentoo is, but this is one of my favorite images.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I barely have any idea what Gentoo is, but this is one of my favorite images.

install it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i updated to ios11 and now when i play a whatsapp audio message and put the phone next to my ear to switch to handset speaker the audio plays on loud speaker for a whole second before fading out :mad:

anyone else having this issue?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i came across my old iPhone 4 when i was cleaning out a desk drawer. its screen is adorably small. still a good-lookin phone
:kimchi:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i also ejaculate on old iphones

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i had a college roommate who installed and used gentoo and it really looked like a giant hassle. that's my story

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Doc Block posted:

yes, a separate apple ID per person

do you remember the tempest in a teacup that occurred when the anodization started wearing off the ~Chamfered Edges~ fairly quickly after the iPhone 5 came out, and all the other hullabaloo from people who didn't know what anodization was?

that's why.

I loved the patina and wear on my 5. not disagreeing with you though. most people don't appreciate the character a lil natural wear brings to the table

Postmaster GBS fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 28, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my 5 got replaced under a recall less than a month before i changed phones, so i still have a near mint slate 5 to use for various things

slate 5 best lookin phone ever made

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

ios11 airplane mode doesn’t shut off Bluetooth anymore! I don’t have to manually reconnect my headphones every time I fly! thank you, apple

im not sure that's how airplane mode is technically supposed to work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

i had a college roommate who installed and used gentoo and it really looked like a giant hassle. that's my story

gentoo has really neckbeardish community that is very gung-ho against quality of life improvements such as systemd

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

where is the ios11 moan thread?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

where is the ios11 moan thread?

make one. preferably with a poll so we can tell you to gently caress off moo cow.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:mad:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hi

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure that's how airplane mode is technically supposed to work

its also wrong, airplane mode is switched off in settings when airplane mode is activated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

its also wrong, airplane mode is switched off in settings when airplane mode is activated

the first time you activate airplane mode in ios11, it turns everything off

anything you turn back on will stay on the next time you turn on airplane mode

state dependent memory