Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I just got to that part and yeah, she's awesome.

Sean Astin is great in this too.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

best character on the show

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

steve owns and is the best character

him telling dustin the facts of life was great

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Will at the end of episode 5 :stare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
bratty sister with (mouthing: nerd) is such a great av I can't loving explain it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ramadu posted:

steve owns and is the best character

him telling dustin the facts of life was great

Steve and Dustin together was great. I like that they figured out the best position for him in the story is Josh Brolin in Goonies.

Bruteman posted:

Will at the end of episode 5 :stare:

That's such a brutal ending.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Well episode 6 has probably the most direct homage to '80s movies so far this season.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

dustin and steve are the best bro pair on tv

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Where is my Lucas's sister spinoff

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah uh I think tumblr is gonna ship diamond joe and Steve in the shower scene

That was like top gun volleyball territory

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just finished Stranger Things Season 2, here's my review: it's cool that 11 teamed up with 1-10 to form a psychic entity powerful enough to take down the Omega-gigademogorgon-prime (who is also 13) after it killed her baby brother, 12, but I thought it was a little weird that the Grand Emperor of the Upside-Down was played by Gilbert Gottfried. Just seems like weird casting.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm only in episode 3, here's a review of it so far:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Just finished Stranger Things Season 2, here's my review: it's cool that 11 teamed up with 1-10 to form a psychic entity powerful enough to take down the Omega-gigademogorgon-prime (who is also 13) after it killed her baby brother, 12, but I thought it was a little weird that the Grand Emperor of the Upside-Down was played by Gilbert Gottfried. Just seems like weird casting.

Remember when that weird loving Cory and Corey reunion happened

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress it's practically 8am what the fuuuuuck Netflix

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Episode 8 goddamit :mad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think there's ever been a show that I will sit and watch for 8 hours straight in one session but this is like a book you can't put down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't think there's ever been a show that I will sit and watch for 8 hours straight in one session but this is like a book you can't put down.
Someone never watched 24. :colbert:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bruteman posted:

Episode 8 goddamit :mad:

:negative:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That ending was so satisfying. I'm a little hazy after 8 hours staring at a screen but holy poo poo they knocked it out the park this season.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Finished it. Overall good but not as good as the first season - mostly by dint of it just being a sequel.

Quick non-spoiler thoughts:

The cast is great and still easily the best part of the show. Sean Astin and Paul Reiser are also great additions.

Glad they gave way more time to Lucas and Dustin. Hop and El and Steve and Dustin pairings are great.

I think you could have removed episode 7 and not lost anything big. I kind of wish they had, or at least spread that out over a few episodes - where they place it just kills the show's momentum dead (but the last two episodes make up for it).

Cool new main villain...thing. sort of (more in spoilers below)

The ending is very satisfying.

edit: Lucas' sister is loving awesome.

Spoiler stuff:

Episode 6 - hay guyz, remember this scene from Aliens lol

Episode 7 seriously wtf, it's "El learns to do bigger stuff if she channels her emotions," I didn't care for 008 or her gang or any of that poo poo. But since El is pretty much deus ex machina incarnated, I guess you gotta keep her out of the main plot.

Episode 8 Bob the Superhero, you were too good for this show. gently caress you, show :mad: I thought for sure the designated victim would be Billy.

The overall threat: The mind flayer is a great concept but I rolled my eyes when I realized 95% of what was going to threaten the cast was basically the demogorgon again. Why couldn't they have just had the mind flayer take over a bunch of people like it possessed Will? Or even just had different-looking animals than reusing the demogorgon?

I didn't care for the subplot with the reporter. It's just there for JUSTICE FOR BARB (good god I hope the fandom at large lets it go now) and lets Jonathan and Nancy hook up

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 27, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Episode 2 Whoa, loving insane shade thrown at Three Musketeers for no reason, hosed up.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Episode 5:, Bob spoiler Yay Samwise is going to join the fellowship!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

1stGear posted:

Episode 2 Whoa, loving insane shade thrown at Three Musketeers for no reason, hosed up.

Don't worry, the best of the kids sees the truth.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Man, I just finished episode 7 and it is total garbage. I would honestly recommend skipping it as it self-contained and entirely irrelevant to the story of this season.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I forgot, possibly my favorite moment this season is between Dustin and Mike's dad: "Son of a bitch, you're no help at all!"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did anyone else notice Winona Ryder did the exact same expression she did at the Emmys during the scene where they're talking about how Will might die if they kill the Mind Flayer

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dustin and Steve is the best duo. Also poor Steves face, has it not suffered enough.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I didn't even realize until coming into the thread that people had apparently built the fandom around season one's red-shirthaired ensign.

Up to ep. 3, liking it so far.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Man, I just finished episode 7 and it is total garbage. I would honestly recommend skipping it as it self-contained and entirely irrelevant to the story of this season.

I agree completely. The whole thing felt weird and out of place. I get they were going for the "multi-ethnic street gang" trope from terrible 80s action movies, but it felt weird and forced and seemed like a cul-de-sac for El plot wise. Other than that the season was pretty great. Not as good as the first season which I felt was better focused and had what felt to me like more tangible, personal stakes than the more broad overarching danger presented in this season. All the characters were still great though and its amazing how good the chemistry is between nearly all the actors on this show. Very believable performances. I also like how the show is mostly populated with good people trying to do good. The gruff antihero guy who does terrible things for good reasons has been so overdone in recent years that its nice to have some earnestness and idealism for once. The soundtrack was a little weaker this year I thought, but the score was :discourse: . Overall very good.

Edit: almost forgot everything with Dustin and Steve was awesome. Loved Steve way more this year overall.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Edit: almost forgot everything with Dustin and Steve was awesome. Loved Steve way more this year overall.

Steve sharing his hair care secrets with Dustin was great.

Just from some cursory googling, it looks like Dustin keeping Dart is going to be this year's "Lucas is so unreasonable about El and a total jackass :mad: " (ie character did a thing I didn't like) thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

I forgot, possibly my favorite moment this season is between Dustin and Mike's dad: "Son of a bitch, you're no help at all!"

Mike's parents are just assholes in this show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Episode 5 Bob's scene with Will's drawings where he figures out it's a map was great. Bob is awesome.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Bob is the best dad in this show.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Episode 6 pull out joke I'm dying send help

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Episode 6 pull out joke I'm dying send help

As far as I'm concerned that was the one redeeming moment of that plotline.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Finshed the season. With the notable exception of Episode 7 (which basically feels like it belongs in a different season because it is so out of place), it was fantastic. Very few complaints, mostly about petty stuff*, so I'm satisfied. The characters continue to be excellent, and I ended up liking all the new characters (although I do wish [episode 9] Steve had kicked the poo poo out of Billy, just once). The last 10 minutes or so of episode 9 were pure joy and felt like a huge payoff for the characters we've grown to love over two seasons.

If there was one complaint to be leveled at the season (other than episode 7 being poo poo, which is kinda related to my point here), it was that Eleven escaping the upside down felt too easy, and consequently it felt like the writers didn't really know what to do with her most of the season. I loved her storyline with Hopper but it did feel like they had to write her out of the plot in order to give the other characters something to do.

*like (episode 8 spoilers) wouldn't a more apt analogy for the shadow monster be the elder brain, not a mind flayer?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 27, 2017

Henker
May 5, 2009

Man Sean Astin did not age well. He's the same age as Winona Ryder but she looks 10 years younger.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just finished episode 4. I knew it, I knew they were gonna hurt that good kitty the moment Dustin decided to adopt an extra diminsonal monster.:smith:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

esperterra posted:

e3: We Gremlins now???

yep, and goddamn , poor Chekov's cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I'm two episodes into the "aftershow" thing Netflix did (Beyond Stranger Things) and it's actually pretty interesting - they have the showrunners on and they discuss a lot about why they did things the way they did.

• Locked thread