Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

You expect someone to PAY for a thing they will use all the time that someone spent time and effort putting together???? What kind of lunatic are you???

This but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol gently caress United airlines

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol gently caress United airlines

Must use the same dev as Kohls.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try "Another Widget"

My problem with this was that it would only display weather for a static location. Why can't anyone do exactly what Google's widget does except Nova?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
In Gboard, voice typing, how do I get it to send the message after I'm done typing, without having to push the button? Can I set up a voice command to send the message?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

In Gboard, voice typing, how do I get it to send the message after I'm done typing, without having to push the button? Can I set up a voice command to send the message?

I don't know the answer to your question, but you can also say "ok google sent text to Mom i love you lots".

Of course, that doesn't take care of all circumstances where you'd want to use the voice typing and send, but it's something.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
So this thing where Google Photos will now apparently recognise cats and dogs along with people: is it another server-side switch or something?

I activated the face recognition option by VPN'ing to a US location, please tell me I'm not going to have to do that again just so it'll put names to animals.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

spincube posted:

So this thing where Google Photos will now apparently recognise cats and dogs along with people: is it another server-side switch or something?

I activated the face recognition option by VPN'ing to a US location, please tell me I'm not going to have to do that again just so it'll put names to animals.

I’ve been able to search for cats and dogs as long as I can remember using it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You can search for them by name now I think someone said

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Stunt Rock posted:

I’ve been able to search for cats and dogs as long as I can remember using it.

No, I mean being apply labels to specific animals, so you can search for your pictures of Good Boy and Mister Whiskums like you can your horrible family members and useless friends.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

spincube posted:

No, I mean being apply labels to specific animals, so you can search for your pictures of Good Boy and Mister Whiskums like you can your horrible family members and useless friends.

Oh yeah! That popped up for me in the last month or so.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Do you not have virtually unlimited money from surveys?

There's like 4 goons in this thread that constantly get surveys and have fat rear end google wallets with $50 of free money while the rest of us sit with $0.14 from that one survey 5 months ago and we've never got another since.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I got 82 cents the other day because I googled something and clicked the wikipedia link it returned. I dont even remember what it was, thanks goog

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

There's like 4 goons in this thread that constantly get surveys and have fat rear end google wallets with $50 of free money while the rest of us sit with $0.14 from that one survey 5 months ago and we've never got another since.

I moved earlier this year and I went from a survey every day or two to one a week, it sucks. From the end of 2014 to the end of 2016 I earned over $130. So far in 2017 I've only earned about $15.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Use a debit card everywhere you go. Google is working on some thing to track users debit purchases that is quasi legal.

I get about a buck a week from that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

eSporks posted:

Use a debit card everywhere you go. Google is working on some thing to track users debit purchases that is quasi legal.

I get about a buck a week from that.

I use only debit or Samsung pay pretty much everywhere and haven't had many outside of asking about a store I went to here and there.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I find that when I pay in cash I more frequently get a survey asking what I did at the location and how I paid, presumably because they can't track that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also they have access to like 80 or 90% of card transactions iirc, this is a story about the purchase tracking

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I only pay with credit and get asked at least once a week if I visited a place and how I paid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I only pay with credit and get asked at least once a week if I visited a place and how I paid.

At this point, I just want a toggle for it to just assume I'm using a credit card all the time. Unless it asks me how I paid at the door to see a crappy local band at a dive bar, it will assume correctly.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Is PushBullet still the recommended app for live phone SMS sync and relay, handled via tablet or PC?

If so, is there much of a toll on the phone's battery? If not, what's good?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sweart gliwere posted:

Is PushBullet still the recommended app for live phone SMS sync and relay, handled via tablet or PC?

I use Join by joaoapps. Kind of a bitch to set up but it works fine after that.

AnimalChin posted:

That's weird. I've had four IRL friends try it and all of them have plenty of surveys and money from it. It's not like they're of similar demographics either, ranging from a young millennial woman to a guy in his 50s and from a high school graduate to someone with a master's degree. The only thing I can say is keep your location services on and use debit and credit cards when you pay for poo poo. Historically I'm right about at $100 I think.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sweart gliwere posted:

PushBullet or Join. Join has worked fine for me and doesn't have a monthly. I'm not sure what the dis/advantage is between the 2 though.

LastInLine posted:

That's weird. I've had four IRL friends try it and all of them have plenty of surveys and money from it. It's not like they're of similar demographics either, ranging from a young millennial woman to a guy in his 50s and from a high school graduate to someone with a master's degree. The only thing I can say is keep your location services on and use debit and credit cards when you pay for poo poo. Historically I'm right about at $100 I think.

I was getting good surveys up until I turned 35, then they died off. I have 5 surveys in 2017, with my previous balance of $70 through rewards. Google doesn't like 35 White Male working in tech I guess?

deong fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 29, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pushbullet looks nicer but theres no real functional difference

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

deong posted:

PushBullet or Join. Join has worked fine for me and doesn't have a monthly. I'm not sure what the dis/advantage is between the 2 though.

The difference I can see right away is polish. Pushbullet looks and feels like it's not made by one guy in his spare time. Join, well, does. Setting up Join is also just horrible nerd poo poo and migrating installs from one device to another is painful but once it's working it's tough to complain about (appearance aside).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I like Pushbullet better than Join, but if you expect to use it a lot Pushbullet does have a limit to the number of SMS to can send it a month.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I pay for mightytext. It's always worked well. Except for some reason it doesn't like textra

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Thanks to both of you, I'd somehow forgotten Join. Free monthly trial, one-time purchase after that, and using my personal drive & data setups rather than third-party sync servers gives it the advantage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

deong posted:

. Google doesn't like 35 White Male working in tech I guess?

They like me!

It's just you. Google doesn't like you, specifically.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
As of about a week ago Google Music has been lagging quite a bit, but what makes it even more frustrating is that it seems to think all my vertical swipes are sideways swipes, which removed a song from your playlist or library. By the time the app unfreezes the undo option has disappeared. This is on an otherwise well oiled S7 Edge and is so annoying that I'm really tempted to switch to Spotify.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spotify is extremely good

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Montalvo posted:

As of about a week ago Google Music has been lagging quite a bit, but what makes it even more frustrating is that it seems to think all my vertical swipes are sideways swipes, which removed a song from your playlist or library. By the time the app unfreezes the undo option has disappeared. This is on an otherwise well oiled S7 Edge and is so annoying that I'm really tempted to switch to Spotify.

Try clearing data/cache on it.

FWIW, I use GM every day and I haven't had those issues.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'll give that a shot. I'd really rather not switch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
For sms sync between phone/tablet/computer, I haven't found anything better than Pulse. Join is janky as gently caress.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've tried a bunch of similar apps and find Pushbullet the best by far. I pay for a pro subscription and think it's worth it, especially because I have like 9 phones at any given time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You could be like me and use a Google Voice number and don't have to use any app to SMS from your PC...I just do it in the hangouts chrome app. :colbert:

(lets ignore all the other issues that arise from using Voice)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

You could be like me and use a Google Voice number and don't have to use any app to SMS from your PC...I just do it in the hangouts chrome app. :colbert:

Must be nice to be American

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blue Train posted:

I got 82 cents the other day because I googled something and clicked the wikipedia link it returned. I dont even remember what it was, thanks goog

:yeah:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thermopyle posted:

For all the stupid poo poo you have to put up with from Voice, this is pretty great.

Unrelated: I haven't had a weather frog in two days and I'm starting to get the shakes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

For all the stupid poo poo you have to put up with from Voice, this is pretty great.

Unrelated: I haven't had a weather frog in two days and I'm starting to get the shakes...
My weather frog is unaware that all the fireflies are gone now.