Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Has the crowd started chanting monorail yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
"One thing that's important, is to know what youy're building."
:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

wait wait wait did they really try to present a picture of Enceladus as their own work?

Pffft, I think Enceladus ripped off Microtech.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Erenthal posted:

how can anyone in the audience that is not a literal drooling retard listen to this poo poo and not go "gently caress, i've been had"

they could just as well been promising a genetically engineered flying unicorn to each backer in the room, waiting just outside to take them home

That would at least explain where the money went

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris Roberts taking notes from Richard Garriott. Both are loving morons.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

What was the context though, was it something where they were talking about using existing planets as guidelines or something?

I wasn't paying that much attention, but I really doubt they admitted to ripping it off

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Every single planet/moon name sounds like a mid-1990s computer shop name.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
just take the sentence "i bought this hot piece of info on some prime real estate. i'm going to land and take some core samples and conduct a seismographic survey to make sure it's suitable for my ore extraction outpost. also i want to make sure it's not too far away from the refinery infrastructure as not to impact my economic bottom line"

now take a moment and for each single step imagine the necessary fully fleshed out gameplay systems that need to be engineered and implemented for this to happen

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
This is insane. They are so full of poo poo it's unbelievable.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So after almost six hours of this complete bullshit, here's some things I'm taking away:

* They sell a contradictory message. You'll explore planets alone and claim them. And at the same time, you'll have to claim land (with a BEACON) on a planet you have to share with others. Contradictory messages like these are get-outs, the citizens will only hear the positive message and ignore or discount the negative. They'll trumpet the space-to-assets zoom in on a planet and discuss how labour-intensive the work is. And then tell you there's hundreds of planets out there to explore.

* All the partnerships are marriages of convenience. A useless app for weather on imaginary planets. An over-expensive SSD from a hardware company trying to get into the SSD market is the only way you can get another imaginary ship.

* moisture farming.

* really really obvious discussions of game tech problems that have already been solved with other engines. To the point I'm actually wondering are they trying to "white room reverse-engineer" unity or unreal engines, because that's what it looks like. They would discuss these in excruciating detail in the powerpoint presentations/panels, and then discuss them AGAIN in interviews with Lando afterwards.

* mutant chinese spaceship turtles.

* Getting citizens to vote on the top 10 broadcast moments. All of which were terrible.

There's more but my brain is trying to stave off the horror long enough to make it to the WAVY HANDSES keynote address.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

WHEN WILL IT BE IN GAME?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
How can anyone believe the crap they're pulling out of their rear end??

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

kordansk posted:

They are sitting in really expensive need for speed gaming chairs that cost like 400 dollars/each.

The backers will never no

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Why even bother with a Q&A?

Every single loving question people have, asking "Will it be possible to..." is ALWAYS answered with a "Yes".

They loving promise everything, and deliver nothing. Why can't whales see this happening?

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Erenthal posted:

just take the sentence "i bought this hot piece of info on some prime real estate. i'm going to land and take some core samples and conduct a seismographic survey to make sure it's suitable for my ore extraction outpost. also i want to make sure it's not too far away from the refinery infrastructure as not to impact my economic bottom line"

now take a moment and for each single step imagine the necessary fully fleshed out gameplay systems that need to be engineered and implemented for this to happen

Then realise in practice it amounts to no more interactive than carrying coal back from a cave to your camp in Minecraft.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Fangrim posted:

Why even bother with a Q&A?

Every single loving question people have, asking "Will it be possible to..." is ALWAYS answered with a "Yes".

They loving promise everything, and deliver nothing. Why can't whales see this happening?

cause they are whales

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

30 minutes for Chris to get smashed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

What was the context though, was it something where they were talking about using existing planets as guidelines or something?

Nope, they were like "LOOK AT OUR PROCEDURAL GENERATION BAM HERES MICROTECH ITS COOL AND GOOD AND COME VISIT IN YOUR SPACE SHIP!"

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Pioneering the Future Presentation Summary

- Canned presentation by Not Elon Musk about the development of technology in SC's universe.
- Pioneer introduced, when seen in motion it looks like an even bigger Homeworld ship rip-off.
- Brian zombie update: still a zombie.
- Tony Zurovec makes an appearance after being stored underground for a year by CIG.
- Show is about how the planetary landing mechanics will take place.
- "This is for Orgs or a single player"
- Stats that will almost certainly change.
- Built for 4-8 players (or one player and 3-7 AI).
- Limited amount (1,000), unless cash-buys are unlimited?
- Tony Z explains how mechanics work: You can buy plots of land to build on!
- More mechanics; they might as well be arguing over what colour unicorn they want, given how far out this mechanic is.
- How they plan on having players build outposts.
- Plenty of concept art 'ideas'.
- Moisture farming!

Q&A:
-Can I land my dream chariot on it?

- Yeah it was all just a ship sale. I'm not going to do a summary for the keynote since most people will likely be watching it and it'll be on Youtube.

Forgot to mention moisture farming.

Nanako the Narc fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zakutambah posted:

Then realise in practice it amounts to no more interactive than carrying coal back from a cave to your camp in Minecraft.

yeah i mean this is the inevitable bottom line when they are actually going to have to try to put this into practice, see golf swing

but will crobberts accept it?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

nice 100 fps there LOL

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
It makes me so happy that all of this will never see the light of the day

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

HELMET! HELMET! HELMET!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So they just vented the hangar off all that precious oxygen so they could launch a ship?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Lol stream lagging because they’re downloading a build this is gonna be a mess

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

DOWNLOADING A BUILD?! WTF

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ewe2 posted:

* All the partnerships are marriages of convenience. A useless app for weather on imaginary planets. An over-expensive SSD from a hardware company trying to get into the SSD market is the only way you can get another imaginary ship.
I think that Face Over IP technology company had been rattling around the game industry for a couple of years too, trying (and failing, because it's a dumb idea that adds nothing to game play) to interest companies into licensing the tech for their games. Croberts picked it up because 1) he is a idiot and 2) it would give him something to point to as evidence that there's a game with features being developed here. I assume the Intel SSD is the same thing - Intel had a bunch of those things sitting around unbought and cut a deal with CIG so the division making those SSDs could point to a sale and Croberts could tout his partnership with Intel. They're marriages of desperation, not convenience. I imagine every company with an unwanted dead-end product or technology is beating a path to CIG's door to form a "partnership". Star Citizen, the game with a dozen new kinds of technology (that were all passed over multiple times by every other game company)!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

KM Scorchio posted:

Lol stream lagging because they’re downloading a build this is gonna be a mess
:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thoatse posted:

The backers will never no

so perfect

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

There is no possible way that downloading an entire new build of a game could result in bad things happening during a live stage demo.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

DOWNLOADING A BUILD?! WTF

Brace yourself for Chris Roberts Presents: the Chris Roberts 2947 Dumpster Fire, presented by MyRadar, Intel, American Satan, and IKEA.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

at this point they could starting calling people names live on stream and backers would still spend money

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm jacked to the tits for the crobberts show coming up

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Aurra posted:

There is no possible way that downloading an entire new build of a game could result in bad things happening during a live stage demo.

lol

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Goredema posted:

Brace yourself for Chris Roberts Presents: the Chris Roberts 2947 Dumpster Fire, presented by MyRadar, Intel, American Satan, and IKEA.

and Tesla

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

holy hell well called Aurra

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

How can you even volunteer for it? Its a company event, you have to register your workers for tax reasons?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FMguru posted:

I think that Face Over IP technology company had been rattling around the game industry for a couple of years too, trying (and failing, because it's a dumb idea that adds nothing to game play) to interest companies into licensing the tech for their games. Croberts picked it up because 1) he is a idiot and 2) it would give him something to point to as evidence that there's a game with features being developed here. I assume the Intel SSD is the same thing - Intel had a bunch of those things sitting around unbought and cut a deal with CIG so the division making those SSDs could point to a sale and Croberts could tout his partnership with Intel. They're marriages of desperation, not convenience. I imagine every company with an unwanted dead-end product or technology is beating a path to CIG's door to form a "partnership". Star Citizen, the game with a dozen new kinds of technology (that were all passed over multiple times by every other game company)!

It's not Intel's style to be desperate. The Intel guy (who is an actual salesman) was telling the crowd that they didn't want to alter their drive tech to fit SATA, they want everyone else to use their PCIE, that's patronising even to a crowd of gamers. I'm pretty sure they really want to get those customers on their sales list for later sales since they're gullible enough to buy their poo poo. But I agree, every shyster on the block would be trying to get in on this. I think the weather app guy was definitely desperate.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Erenthal posted:

how can anyone in the audience that is not a literal drooling retard listen to this poo poo and not go "gently caress, i've been had"

they could just as well been promising a genetically engineered flying unicorn to each backer in the room, waiting just outside to take them home

You are Robin Williams staring in disbelief at all the children eating imaginary food in HOOK right now buddy. You just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

How can you even volunteer for it? Its a company event, you have to register your workers for tax reasons?

There are ways around that. Using a vast number of volunteers as unpaid slave labor is the entire business model of the various Penny Arcade Expos in the U.S.