Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
In the desert what happens if you go into the new donk city painting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nolgthorn posted:

In the desert what happens if you go into the new donk city painting

You warp to a hidden area there but its full of giant metal crates and I couldn't actually do anything yet.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zore posted:

You warp to a hidden area there but its full of giant metal crates and I couldn't actually do anything yet.

It seems like the early paintings kind of serve as teasers like this

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Popping in from my 6 hour play session to say that Metro Kingdom is the best Mario level ever

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I have to go to stupid work but I did everything I could in Cap/Cascade and unfroze Sand. This game extremely rules.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Crawfish posted:

For anyone else trying to collect all coins and moons, this is the game telling you that even though it lists a number of moons from the get go, you can only get most of them at the start. The rest seem to be post game or possibly dependant on stuff later in the game happening first. I'm not really sure.

Go all out on the coins though, they are all available on the first trip, though some of them and some of the initial moons may require you to finish the plot in the area first.
Yeah this stuff is extremely good and helpful for dumb completionists like me.

I can't imagine just getting enough Moons to get to the next kingdom and loving bouncing, but my friend has about double my Moons and is like four kingdoms ahead of me so godspeed i guess but man

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I was really really impressed with the intro to new donk city with the rain and music it looked so epic. Glad I skipped the painting in that case.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

You still get that intro regardless

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, I'm surprised how happy I am to see the giant head dudes from Super Mario Land make a return. I love those goofy things. :3:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I keep thinking I can teleport to where I throw my hat like in FF15 and loving up my jumps.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autonomous Monster posted:

Man, I'm surprised how happy I am to see the giant head dudes from Super Mario Land make a return. I love those goofy things. :3:

shade

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I've been playing for about 7 hours. How much longer can I play before I ruin this game forever for myself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hard to resist posting every picture I take.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Ah yes, this is truly the Dark Souls is Mario games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Hard to resist posting every picture I take.

then dont resist

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

then dont resist

i am not saying this neogafishly, I just mean in the non neogaf way

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This game is making me feel like a kid again, so I don't feel too bad about laughing at how a bunch of the moons in Wooded Kingdom have "nut" in their name.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I just found something out about the Frog and a few other captures.

If you flip the Joy Cons up they do a high back flip.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

eonwe posted:

then dont resist

If you say so.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

motion controls are good unless you have a direct physical disability preventing their use. get over yourselves.

I can't even pull off the circular cap throw when doing the exact same motions as the game shows you. It literally just doesn't work for me. They're bad and I'm glad you can turn them off.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

s.i.r.e. posted:

I can't even pull off the circular cap throw when doing the exact same motions as the game shows you. It literally just doesn't work for me. They're bad and I'm glad you can turn them off.
You can do it without motion controls. Just do a spin with the analogue stick and press Y. Just make sure you wait until mario enters his spinning animation.

So far the motion controls are the only thing I dont like about SMO. This poo poo was fine in Galaxy because it only did one thing. Thankfuly most of the motion exclusive moves are garbo. The homing hat is really fucken good though, it really extends cappy's range. Thankfully its the easiest to activate.

Also thanks to the guy who posted about cap jumping out of a dive. You can chain it with long jumps and it rules!

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

s.i.r.e. posted:

You cannot actually turn them off. The obnoxious jerking movements are pretty much mandatory for most advanced cap moves. Circle, homing, up, and down. You can do a manual button press cap circle throw but it's so slow to execute the move is worthless. I've forced my way around the controls in most cases but they're really bad. Really poor motion controls that don't even have the precision of most Switch titles. In my experience this game really really should have been critiqued on the bad motion controls and the awful camera. It is an 8/10 at best thanks to these poor design choices. Your thumb is constantly bouncing back and forth from buttons right analog to fix the wonky camera. My right thumb has to literally do double duty with the tip on the jump and throw buttons and the joint of my thumb constantly adjusting the camera to see where I'm supposed to be moving.

This is the worst control scheme and camera in a major Mario game to date. And based on the number of players I've seen online upset about the bad controls and camera, the universal critical praise is questionable. BotW used motion controls too but they actually worked. These controls do not work well at all, particularly in the god awful detached Joy Con thing they try to force players into. Handheld is really not well thought out, especially considering the amount of unused buttons on the controllers. I do not understand what Nintendo or the glowing reviews were thinking not to address this issue.

In handheld mode I've been able to cope with the motion controls somewhat by just cranking motion control sensitivity up in settings and yanking the console but it's frustrating. Very hard to play when the screen is constantly jerked left and right to do cap throws. The game feels as if they designed it for a different console and did not even take the portable mode of Switch into account during development. I would kill for the ability to just map these moves to one of the many unused buttons on the controller. And to lock the camera to not drift behind walls and float high above me at weird angles where cliffs aren't visible until Mario has plunged to his death.

As a flagship Mario title, which is supposed to be an all-gamer levels friendly experience this game is not a success. Anyone who is not an experienced console gamer is going to be aggravated beyond belief by trying to manage the camera while moving Mario. This is a far cry from the usual pick-up-and-play simplicity of Mario and Nintendo's philosophy. I've been playing Mario for over 30 years and this is the first time I've spent hours reading control tutorials, watching videos trying to understand where it's going wrong and failing to pickup in-game moves after hours of play. For anyone who is not a hardcore gamer used to managing multiple buttons and analog sticks PLUS weird imprecise motion controls, this game is going to be a very frustrating experience.

Fruity Rudy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 27, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

counterpoint: camera is fine, motion controls are fine

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Mr Phillby posted:

Also thanks to the guy who posted about cap jumping out of a dive. You can chain it with long jumps and it rules!

Can you explain how to do this?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Do not criticize nintendo games in their threads unless you like being told you are brokebrained, hth

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

acksplode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFgg9UtS8I4

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just woke up my Switch to check if it was finished downloading and I accidentally played for like an hour.

Several instances of "I wonder if I can do x" and then finding out that yes, I could do x. And maybe some of these things were in the trailers but I haven't seen any of those

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fruity Rudy posted:

You cannot actually turn them off. The obnoxious jerking movements are pretty much mandatory for most advanced cap moves. Circle, homing, up, and down. You can do a manual button press cap circle throw but it's so slow to execute the move is worthless. I've forced my way around the controls in most cases but they're really bad. Really poor motion controls that don't even have the precision of most Switch titles. In my experience this game really really should have been critiqued on the bad motion controls and the awful camera. It is an 8/10 at best thanks to these poor design choices. Your thumb is constantly bouncing back and forth from buttons right analog to fix the wonky camera. My right thumb has to literally do double duty with the tip on the jump and throw buttons and the joint of my thumb constantly adjusting the camera to see where I'm supposed to be moving.

This is the worst control scheme and camera in a major Mario game to date. And based on the number of players I've seen online upset about the bad controls and camera, the universal critical praise is questionable. BotW used motion controls too but they actually worked. These controls do not work well at all, particularly in the god awful detached Joy Con thing they try to force players into. Handheld is really not well thought out, especially considering the amount of unused buttons on the controllers. I do not understand what Nintendo or the glowing reviews were thinking not to address this issue.

In handheld mode I've been able to cope with the motion controls somewhat by just cranking motion control sensitivity up in settings and yanking the console but it's frustrating. Very hard to play when the screen is constantly jerked left and right to do cap throws. The game feels as if they designed it for a different console and did not even take the portable mode of Switch into account during development. I would kill for the ability to just map these moves to one of the many unused buttons on the controller. And to lock the camera to not drift behind walls and float high above me at weird angles where cliffs aren't visible until Mario has plunged to his death.

As a flagship Mario title, which is supposed to be an all-gamer levels friendly experience this game is not a success. Anyone who is not an experienced console gamer is going to be aggravated beyond belief by trying to manage the camera while moving Mario. This is a far cry from the usual pick-up-and-play simplicity of Mario and Nintendo's philosophy. I've been playing Mario for over 30 years and this is the first time I've spent hours reading control tutorials, watching videos trying to understand where it's going wrong and failing to pickup in-game moves after hours of play. For anyone who is not a hardcore gamer used to managing multiple buttons and analog sticks PLUS weird imprecise motion controls, this game is going to be a very frustrating experience.

I have literally no idea how you're having trouble with the camera. At all. Other than adjusting the sensitivity from Low to High I haven't had any problems at all.

You do know one of the shoulder buttons recenters the camera behind you right?

Edit: Unironically if you are spending hours reading move tutorials and can't do things in this game it is on you, not on the game. I watched a literal six year old pick up and play the game with zero trouble. The idea that loving Mario Odyssey is an impossible super-hardcore game with complex controls that are impossible to learn is laughable.

A hyper-zoomed in video of the fact that motion controls are an option is not an answer BTW.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 27, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

counter-counterpoint: forced motion controls is very dumb for a handheld game and it's weird Nintendo didn't realize this

also I do find myself fighting the camera a lot, which is a shame. I get that it's made for babbies and you're not actually supposed to touch the camera controls and let the game choose where you look, but I hate camera auto adjusting in games as it's the #1 cause of dizziness and headaches for me. It's TYOOL 2017, let us turn off camera auto adjust and control the camera manually. :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the motion controls are totally fine for me at least and that's all i have to say

Megasabin posted:

Can you explain how to do this?
This is gonna be kind of a bad explanation but like, Long Jump, throw your cap, Long Jump again and you'll kinda lock onto it and if you hold Y, you'll get another jump off it. You can also chain one more cap throw/long jump off of it

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

counter-counterpoint: forced motion controls is very dumb for a handheld game and it's weird Nintendo didn't realize this

They really should have seen the writing on the wall after the wii U

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I haven’t used any motion controls and I’m doing fine at least

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I haven’t used any motion controls and I’m doing fine at least

yeah mind you I don't mean forced as in "you literally have to do this to beat the game" but as in "you can only do these things with motion controls".

that said going fast and doing sweet tricks is like 80% of the fun of a 3D platformer like this so it's absurd they would do this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't really see the point of motion controls when there's enough buttons to do the moves on the controller. They don't really add anything to the experience, unlike aiming in BotW/Splatoon. They're just additional input commands for moves that can be a hindrance to those playing on handheld or who have disabilities, and even outside that they're not really precise enough to be reliable. Galaxy's shake-to-spin was fine, but the motion controls in Odyssey really have no reason to exist.

No major issues with the camera, though. I mean it's a little wonky but honestly that's true for every other Mario game and pretty much every game with a camera. A couple minor annoyances at the start but otherwise it's a standard 3D platformer camera.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I propose the theory that motion controls are something that children will find fun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Actually my problem with the motion controls is that I didn't read that the Frog had a better jump attached to a motion control and was loving stumped on how to get a Moon till I finally learned how to read and then got it instantly

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nah i think i'm gonna echo the sentiment that the controls in this game aren't the greatest and that i've also been fighting the camera. maybe not as much now that i'm more used to it, but i distinctly remember the first hour of gameplay being a lot of stop and start while just trying to get the camera to look where i want it to. yes, i set sensitivity to high right out of the gate.

but even beyond motion controls (which everyone seems to agree has no reason to not also be mapped to the many unused buttons) i've had times where something about mario just felt real... stiff. like i could sometimes couldn't just quiiiite get him to agree with what i'm trying to do.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

I don't really see the point of motion controls when there's enough buttons to do the moves on the controller. They don't really add anything to the experience, unlike aiming in BotW/Splatoon. They're just additional input commands for moves that can be a hindrance to those playing on handheld or who have disabilities, and even outside that they're not really precise enough to be reliable. Galaxy's shake-to-spin was fine, but the motion controls in Odyssey really have no reason to exist.

They exist for the same reason Star Fox required the Gamepad: to justify the existence of the tech being used.

It's not a game breaker here as it was with SF, but it is pretty annoying. The 7 year old I saw trying it out was really struggling with them too, though I suppose some rear end in a top hat will say he's broke brained too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fruity Rudy posted:

Sir, this is a McDonkalds drive-thru.

Seriously though I’m sorry you’re having issues but I don’t think they’re universal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Guys, you can shake the controller to make Mario roll around in a ball like Italian Samus. If you don't enjoy the novelty of this I think you're officially too old for Nintendo games

• Locked thread