Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

A Pale Horse posted:

I agree completely. The whole thing felt weird and out of place. I get they were going for the "multi-ethnic street gang" trope from terrible 80s action movies, but it felt weird and forced and seemed like a cul-de-sac for El plot wise. Other than that the season was pretty great.

Yeah, I thought the season was incredible, but episode 7 was just like watching a different show? I didn't really like any of the actors, (or characters? I couldn't really tell) but like, can you imagine if any of the other kids were there as well? It would have felt bizarrely out of place. +1 to the 'skip ep 7 for improved show' crowd. (Although obv. no one will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Lucas is such a hypocrite, Mike can't bring a genetically enhanced super-soldier into the group but as soon as a cute redhead moves into town...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bruteman posted:

As far as I'm concerned that was the one redeeming moment of that plotline.

I enjoyed the Rock Hudson/Doris Day stuff (with Brett Gelman as their Tony Randall) more than I enjoyed any other part of their plot in both seasons.

Season 3 needs to introduce someone who deserves Steve's love.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Slight quibble about the ending scene

Every Breath You Take is not a song that should be played for romantic effect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Astroman posted:

What's interesting is that the era this show portrays is as old now as the 50s was in BTTF. So if you're Gen X, and you grew up then, think about how quaint the 50s seemed as portrayed in BTTF. Those of us of that age can't truly experience what seeing this era so faithfully recreated must be like for a Gen Z kid. I wonder if the rotary phones and no internet and old cars are as jarring and old fashioned for them as BTTF was for us?

my mortality being framed this way is much scarier than anything the show could possibly offer. gently caress

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

theblackw0lf posted:

Slight quibble about the ending scene

Every Breath You Take is not a song that should be played for romantic effect.

Seems to be that they were intentionally playing with the dissonance of the lyrics in the song by cutting to the shadow monster looming over the school in the upside down

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

In It For The Tank posted:

Seems to be that they were intentionally playing with the dissonance of the lyrics in the song by cutting to the shadow monster looming over the school in the upside down

Oh yea that makes sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Episode 8

Bob... :smith:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh yea that makes sense.

The show's producer said that's exactly why they used it on one of the after show interviews.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Episode 8

Bob... :smith:

:argh:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
It was ok but not nearly as good as the first.

I think the main problem was the "Justice for Barb" plot felt shoehorned in after initial plans as a sort of fanservice to the character. A lot of it doesn't make sense when thought about and I have to say the reporter character was so repulsive to me that I had to take mini-breaks during scenes he was in.

Also I didn't much care for the Eleven Goes to the Big City episode. Eight's character felt weird to open the show with and her role in this season felt like it was more for a future season, which goes against the feel of the show as 8-9 episode 'movies'.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
203: Mike, you dumbass, you need a thief, and she just opened that locked door.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Of course she likes Ghostbusters, that's not the point."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Overall I was kind of disappointed with the amount of Mike in the season.

Because he's paired off with Will (who has Joyce, Bob and Jonathan doing poo poo with him) and an off-screen Eleven he doesn't get a lot to do. What he does get to do he knocks out of the park.

Seriously, Finn Wolfhard knocks the reunion with Eleven and his little scene with Hopper out of the park.

Hopper/Eleven and Dustin/Steve made up for it though.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I thought the breakout actor of season 1 was Natalia Dyer but this season it is definitely Noah Schnapp.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Powered through the whole thing in one go. I NEVER do that these days. Great season, and in my opinion, better than the first.

Except E7, that was a pretty big misstep.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Episode 7's problem is that it felt like a big chunk of story they wanted to tell this season but couldn't figure out how to fit it in so they just asked for an extra episode and plopped it all down.

I actually enjoyed the actress who played Roman and I liked the concept of her '80s punk gang, if not the execution, but it was such a weird and poorly executed break in the main story. It also seems wrong to sequester Millie Bobby Brown from the others for so long.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just hit episode 8 and wow, I thought Billy was a poo poo but the dad going apeshit on him was pretty :smith:

The Nancy/Jonathan plot is pretty meh, but the Steve/Dustin team-up :discourse:. Steve is the greatest, and now that we all know his secret to great haircare...

Bob is probably my favorite addition to the cast. He started out as what I was worried was going to be 'Joyce dates wet blanket of a guy while pining for Hopper' but Joyce bringing him in to figure out Will's drawings when he popped by with the puzzles was ace.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
drat, I could go for some KFC right now.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Steve is the greatest. He’s only second to his hair.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I wish episode 7 was more about El's self discovery or something instead of this mediocre side plot that didn't contribute anything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ep 5 partway: Since Lucas has done absolutely nothing wrong, I'm assuming douchebag step?-brother is a racist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E7 is turbo garbage and a complete failure of storytelling.

Skip it. Do not watch.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
E7 feels like they want to do a Dark Angel style spinoff.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
When Bob got tackled by the second Demi-Dog I actually burst out laughing. I remember thinking, "OK, this is the moment he seems to be the safest he's been since first leaving the group. This is exactly where he'll buy the farm." And of course, he does, without missing a beat. How perfectly they'd copied the timing along with that trope was just delicious.

Did anyone else get a 'Heroes' vibe from E7? I'll +Nth the shoehorned feeling, for sure. I'll also echo how transparent of a setup for S3 larger post-Hawkins hijinks it was, but add that it probably would've felt much more organic if left for the first half of S3 or so. I really hope they end up doing something creative and subversive with it all. The last thing the world needs is another cookie-cutter plot about underground groups of metahumans evading the law while trying to achieve whatever idiosyncratic goals they deem worthy.

I don't get why they had to let Eleven out of the Upside-Down so quickly, only to re-sequester her again. Was it to preserve the toxic feeling from the Upside-Down, since it did such a number on Will? Was it just to build more on the daughter-Hop-never-had thing? We probably could've taken the hint with less screen time on the plotline, IMO

Both complaints are very minor, though. It's still the one show that I know I'll enjoy more than anything else currently running, and by a wide margin. The lightning-in-a-bottle feeling from S1 hasn't worn off yet. That's likely owing to the charisma and chemistry in the incredible cast, along with the originality and deftness of the production itself.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Josh Lyman posted:

Skip it. Do not watch.

Agreed, I thought ep 7 was just a huge wet fart. Though I did like that when they went after Ray, the guy called Funshine was wearing a Funshine Bear Care Bears mask

E: toward the end of E8 BOB NO! :smith:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 28, 2017

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Lycus posted:

Ep 5 partway: Since Lucas has done absolutely nothing wrong, I'm assuming douchebag step?-brother is a racist.

They give insight to his douchebaggery later

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I also really wish the other numbered kids from the lab experiments were like SCANNERS and all had the same sort of weird mish-mash of psychic abilities but no they're going to have unique superhero powers and now it's going to be more X-men/Heroes/superhero bullshit and wow we really didn't have enough of that crap in pop culture great we're on track for the Stranger Things Cinematic Universe gently caress poo poo goddamn kill my rear end gently caress

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Lycus posted:

Yeah the wrong type of people could be loser nerds because he is actually plugged into the school social scene or it could be the more obvious "your father would not react well to bringing a black guy around".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mooktastical posted:

I don't get why they had to let Eleven out of the Upside-Down so quickly, only to re-sequester her again. Was it to preserve the toxic feeling from the Upside-Down, since it did such a number on Will? Was it just to build more on the daughter-Hop-never-had thing? We probably could've taken the hint with less screen time on the plotline, IMO

I didn't have an issue with this. We already knew, or assumed, she'd be out of the Upside Down around winter. Maybe her immediately getting out was a bit of a let down, but I really enjoyed the Eleven/Hopper stuff and didn't find her being stuck in the Upside Down much of a cliffhanger anyway.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Junkfist posted:

I also really wish the other numbered kids from the lab experiments were like SCANNERS and all had the same sort of weird mish-mash of psychic abilities but no they're going to have unique superhero powers and now it's going to be more X-men/Heroes/superhero bullshit and wow we really didn't have enough of that crap in pop culture great we're on track for the Stranger Things Cinematic Universe gently caress poo poo goddamn kill my rear end gently caress

I'm giving the Duffers the benefit of the doubt, primarily because they've done so well so far, and they could still very well could end up taking that familiar idea into a new and interesting direction. But yes, it certainly seems to be heading that way. :ohdear:

LesterGroans posted:

I didn't have an issue with this. We already knew, or assumed, she'd be out of the Upside Down around winter. Maybe her immediately getting out was a bit of a let down, but I really enjoyed the Eleven/Hopper stuff and didn't find her being stuck in the Upside Down much of a cliffhanger anyway.

Well yeah, I didn't hate the Hopper stuff either, and I also considered her escape a forgone conclusion, as well. I just found it kind of hamfisted to send her on such weak solo quests when seeing her kick rear end (or at least explore) in the Upside-Down seems like a more obvious choice.

Like I said though, it's far from a salient point, and I could even be in the minority on that one.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 28, 2017

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Josh Lyman posted:

Skip it. Do not watch.

If this was a week to week show, I'd be majorly pissed at the place they put this episode.

They could do without episode 7 altogether. The one thing Eleven learned that episode could have been taught by anyone else. Regarding Eight: they shouldn't have had her existence as the opening. It makes people think she will have a much bigger part in the story. Really, she's just a glorified extra, a guest star. She's superfluous.

Other than 7, this season is great.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bruteman posted:

Episode 7 seriously wtf, it's "El learns to do bigger stuff if she channels her emotions," I didn't care for 008 or her gang or any of that poo poo. But since El is pretty much deus ex machina incarnated, I guess you gotta keep her out of the main plot.

Sort of wonder if 008 and other #s will be a big part of season 3

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
God I hope not.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Sort of wonder if 008 and other #s will be a big part of season 3

I'd say yeah probably, but I guess if it's as ill-received everywhere as it is here, maybe they'll back away even if it was in the plans?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

One of my favorite bits of trivia for this show is the producer starred as the psycho rear end in a top hat blond rich kid in Zombie Nightmare.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm missing the theme-song hit over the credits this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dmitri-9 posted:

Lucas is such a hypocrite, Mike can't bring a genetically enhanced super-soldier into the group but as soon as a cute redhead moves into town...

she's rey to his leia

ethics in games journalism and all that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also uh e8 after Bob dies

total Fellowship Boromir music afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
GO HOME ZOOMER GIRL

• Locked thread