Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly if you are complaining that moves you find difficult aren't tied to single button presses you're also arguing against an action game having a high skill ceiling.

That I disagree with. I think the difficulty in action games should come from the challenge of your character navigating through the world he's in, not from the challenge of you communicating your intentions to the character.

You shouldn't have to alternate pressing the left and right bumpers at the same pace Mario puts one foot in front of the other either.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We’ve already established that SMO is the Dark Souls of Mario games.

Oh word? My bad then.

All you scrubs need to git gud

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAmSwKBR1s

Fruity Rudy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

That I disagree with. I think the difficulty in action games should come from the challenge of your character navigating through the world he's in, not from the challenge of you communicating your intentions to the character.

You shouldn't have to alternate pressing the left and right bumpers at the same pace Mario puts one foot in front of the other either.

I would play the hell out of Robot Mario Drive though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

not an emptyquote

I can't wait for the inevitable "person accidentally slammed their Switch into the ground" stories

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
post more pics of this outrageous new mario game

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

OTHER THAN THAT, THE GAME IS AMAZING

:thunk:

lol did you edit out the review that basically said “motion controls aren’t great but the games still good?”

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this thread is a good reason why i almost never post in Games

anyway i spent my afternoon getting 50 Moons in the Sand Kingdom and I think I've lost my mind how are there more worlds after this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

eonwe posted:

be good to each other, all

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GreatGreen posted:

So you're saying Mario should control like in assassins creed, where you hold a button and your character auto jumps and climbs over everything? The slippery-slope goes both ways, friend.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think Mario should have a high skill ceiling for actual move execution, no. Platformers I think work best if the execution requirement is in the platforming, not pulling off the moves. High action game skill ceiling requirements tend to work best for combat-heavy games where pulling off the combos and stringing them together is a major part of the game
I don't see why a high skill ceiling for controlling Mario would negatively effect the experience for lower skilled players at all?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

So you're saying Mario should control like in assassins creed, where you hold a button and your character auto jumps and climbs over everything? The slippery-slope goes both ways, friend.

No, I'm saying that the most fundamental actions in this platformer (moves that you'll be doing thousands of times over the course of playing) shouldn't be needlessly obtuse, like for example how a simple spin requires me to circle the L-stick somewhere randomly between 2-4 times or to jerk my entire handheld console around.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think reloading in shooters should be done by wagging the mouse up and down until the game recognizes what you're trying to do? Do you think the spin jump in Super Mario World on the SNES would have been better if you had to make circles on the D-pad until Mario decided to spin into the air?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 27, 2017

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Great job everyone, your terrible posting has killed Mario.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Turns out that Wooded Kingdom cribbed the aesthetic of noted Sonic fangame After the Sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYBQmAeUtw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So while I do feel this game is great, I have one big gripe with it. Though really it extends to the entire Mario 3D franchise since Sunshine.

I've been trying to figure out why I enjoyed exploring Mario 64 so much more than the other games. Right off the bat I'll say a large part of that is simply nostalgia, but there's another part to it. In Super Mario 64, almost the entire level was visible and connected. There weren't many areas that were what I'll just call "void boxes". That is to say, you walk through some magic portal and end up in a big empty zone that exists purely as a platforming challenge. While I understand why these exist from a gameplay perspective, they simply aren't as much fun to explore.

Part of why I enjoyed 64 so much as a kid was because everything felt linked together. Like on Rainbow Ride, you can see the star on the airship from the bottom. You can see the star in the switch area from across the map. You know these places exist and they give you a goal to work towards. Stuff like this is still in Odyssey, but there's also a lot more void areas. The void areas just aren't as much fun to me. They might be mechanically more challenging but they feel disconnected from the level so I don't get as much satisfaction out of completing them. Also visually they feel really lazy at times. Especially the ones in Odyssey that are basically just an untextured map.

Its an amazing game but I can't help but wish more of this stuff was just part of the actual map.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GreatGreen posted:

No, I'm saying that the most fundamental actions in this platformer (moves that you'll be doing thousands of times over the course of playing) shouldn't be needlessly obtuse, like for example how a simple spin requires me to circle the L-stick somewhere randomly between 2-4 times or to jerk my entire handheld console around.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think reloading in shooters should be done by wagging the mouse up and down until the game recognizes what you're trying to do? Do you think the spin jump in Super Mario World on the SNES would have been better if you had to make circles on the D-pad until Mario decided to spin into the air?
The spin jump isn't a core mechanic like reloading, you can 100% the game without ever doing it. It's also not random, you're just not good at spinning the stick i'm afraid.

Also the mario world spin has an entirely different function in a game where you don't control mario's 3D movement. A better example would be the wallkick, which was harder to execute in mario 64. The problem with the Wallkick in M64 was that it was actually required for a few of the stars in that game, so it was genuinely frustrating that it was difficult and it raised the skill ceiling for 100%ing the game. When wallkicks became a much more prominent level design element in sunshine onwards it made sense to simplify it. Wallkicks also became significantly versatile at this point, in M64 you could conserve your angle, but now mario always jumps perpendicular from the wall he's on.

Basically things the player is required to do need to be intuitive and easy to grasp, but things the player isn't expected to do can be complicated or require practice and precise timing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm kinda confused, there seems to be so much poo poo to collect in every level but after scouring most of what I have open (the first four) there doesn't seem to be anything else around to collect or do. From what I gather it seems like new areas open in the levels as you get further into the game, am I just so early on in the game that I literally can't find the rest at this point? For instance I have 6/17 moons in the Cap Kingdom and there's literally nowhere to go here.

Also, what the hell do you do with the giant metal blocks? I've seen one in each level so far but I can't do anything with it. Do you get new abilities later in the game?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

So while I do feel this game is great, I have one big gripe with it. Though really it extends to the entire Mario 3D franchise since Sunshine.

I've been trying to figure out why I enjoyed exploring Mario 64 so much more than the other games. Right off the bat I'll say a large part of that is simply nostalgia, but there's another part to it. In Super Mario 64, almost the entire level was visible and connected. There weren't many areas that were what I'll just call "void boxes". That is to say, you walk through some magic portal and end up in a big empty zone that exists purely as a platforming challenge. While I understand why these exist from a gameplay perspective, they simply aren't as much fun to explore.

Part of why I enjoyed 64 so much as a kid was because everything felt linked together. Like on Rainbow Ride, you can see the star on the airship from the bottom. You can see the star in the switch area from across the map. You know these places exist and they give you a goal to work towards. Stuff like this is still in Odyssey, but there's also a lot more void areas. The void areas just aren't as much fun to me. They might be mechanically more challenging but they feel disconnected from the level so I don't get as much satisfaction out of completing them. Also visually they feel really lazy at times. Especially the ones in Odyssey that are basically just an untextured map.

Its an amazing game but I can't help but wish more of this stuff was just part of the actual map.

The design explicitly is meant to mimic Mario 64 and Sunshine's sandbox game style vs. Galaxy and 3D World's level philosophy

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I completed the storyline in about 13-14 hours, but I've still got about 600 moons to go and some kingdoms I haven't discovered yet. Game is awesome but I think BotW just edges it for GotY for me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I hear your argument and understand where you're coming from. I would however say that the hat spin is not exactly an optional move. I mean it technically is, but there are so many circles of coins and other things that are completed instantly with that move and are as tedious as they can be if completed by just manually running in a circle that I think the move needs its own dedicated button.

The fact that it does not have its own face button does increase the game's skill ceiling, but not in a fun way. I don't feel any sense of reward her accomplishment every time I "pull off" a hat spin, I'm just annoyed that it doesn't have its own button.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

64 had a whole ton of those void areas though? The slide in the castle, all the cap unlock areas, the in-level slides and a bunch in Boo's mansion. Hell all the pre-Bowser stages are essentially this; untextured and pure platforming challenges.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Near as I can tell there's about 900+ Moons total for you to collect in the game but you only need about 124 of them or so just to complete it normally (plus I believe there's a few of them that don't even become available to collect until the post game).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So New Donk City owns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s the in store stock status after day 1? Was there enough to satisfy demand, or is it another shortage situation?

I ask this having skipped every single page of this thread, sorry if this has already been asked.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Well I just found the only outfit I'll be wearing for the rest of forever (post-ending spoilers)

https://i.imgur.com/cunrpmA.jpg

edit: Lol this is loving wonderful https://i.imgur.com/HOAQKO6.jpg

Frankston fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys I can't stop playing this game what do I do

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Keep playing

Thanks guys subscribe and like and consider donating to my patreon

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guys I can't stop playing this game what do I do

Hire someone to bring you food and water when necessary.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Question — In 2-player, do you both have to play with separated joy-cons? Can a player use joycons and another use a pro controller?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ all possible controller combinations are supported (it says this in the action guide somewhere)

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'm kinda confused, there seems to be so much poo poo to collect in every level but after scouring most of what I have open (the first four) there doesn't seem to be anything else around to collect or do. From what I gather it seems like new areas open in the levels as you get further into the game, am I just so early on in the game that I literally can't find the rest at this point? For instance I have 6/17 moons in the Cap Kingdom and there's literally nowhere to go here.

Also, what the hell do you do with the giant metal blocks? I've seen one in each level so far but I can't do anything with it. Do you get new abilities later in the game?

Those blocks do stuff after you beat the game, as an extra incentive to do play more after you've seen the credits. As for the amount of moons, there's a hint toad in every kingdom (except maybe bonneton, i haven't explored that very well) after you've finished all the major events there who will sell you the map location of a moon you can currently get. If he doesn't sell you any more then you're done. The hint parrot, Talkatoo, does a similar thing but for free; he only reveals moon names on your list.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is the greatest game ever made

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
God drat this game is extremely loving ace

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

Those blocks do stuff after you beat the game, as an extra incentive to do play more after you've seen the credits. As for the amount of moons, there's a hint toad in every kingdom (except maybe bonneton, i haven't explored that very well) after you've finished all the major events there who will sell you the map location of a moon you can currently get. If he doesn't sell you any more then you're done. The hint parrot, Talkatoo, does a similar thing but for free; he only reveals moon names on your list.

Awesome man, thanks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924063993701875713
the camera feature is the best

https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924064223457456129
i mean the worst

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finished up New Donk City.

The festival is loving fantastic.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Finished up New Donk City.

The festival is loving fantastic.

It really is. I was grinning like a dope.

I like that Pauline has choreographed dance moves :kimchi:

E: please tell me I can repeat this

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It really is. I was grinning like a dope.

I like that Pauline has choreographed dance moves :kimchi:

E: please tell me I can repeat this

As Dan "I 100% Super Mario Odyssey Before The Release Date" Ryckert showed off in the Quick Look, You absolutely can and should.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://gfycat.com/ObedientQuarrelsomeCub

my cat likes cappy

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

OH MY GOOOOOOD NEW DONK'S ENDING THIS IS GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just made it to the luncheon kingdom. How far am I from the end?

• Locked thread