Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Any attempt to counter how much of a weird baby youre being just makes you look like an even weirder baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Any attempt to counter how much of a weird baby youre being just makes you look like an even weirder baby

People who disagree with me are children, who hate white people, and also they don't know anything, but i'm not bothered cause i don't care, my dad liked it

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

You haven’t posted a single opinion about the documentary but thanks for the moderation. Me losing my temper about really dumb opinions doesn’t make your posts automatically good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mahoning posted:

You haven’t posted a single opinion about the documentary but thanks for the moderation. Me losing my temper about really dumb opinions doesn’t make your posts automatically good.

Why don't you explain why a pretty mild alternate opinion from yours is making you so weirdly angry?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Why don't you explain why a pretty mild alternate opinion from yours is making you so weirdly angry?

I’d love to.

I am perfectly willing to hear exactly what Ken Burns should have included in a 17 hour documentary that wasn’t included.

I found the US government to continually be the bad guy in each episode, one that couldn’t make a good decision if they literally fell into it. At what point do you demonize the US to the point that you can no longer count on the cooperation of the veterans who have agreed to appear in and/or collaborate on your documentary? You can call that a cop out or a compromise but a hit piece on American involvement in Vietnam (no matter how accurate or deserved) would be boring and dumb.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Mahoning posted:

Counter-point: my posts are automatically good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahoning posted:

Please tell us the name of the book you read for your senior year Modern American History class that was not biased and was really fair.

"Dispatches" and "Bloods".

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

I’d love to.

I am perfectly willing to hear exactly what Ken Burns should have included in a 17 hour documentary that wasn’t included.

I found the US government to continually be the bad guy in each episode, one that couldn’t make a good decision if they literally fell into it. At what point do you demonize the US to the point that you can no longer count on the cooperation of the veterans who have agreed to appear in and/or collaborate on your documentary? You can call that a cop out or a compromise but a hit piece on American involvement in Vietnam (no matter how accurate or deserved) would be boring and dumb.

I mean Peter Davis did it 40 years ago and it wasn't boring or dumb, and lots of veterans were involved so I don't know what you're talking about.

BTW does anyone remember what thread all those PD Vietnam docs were posted in semi recently? There were a bunch of things posted besides Hearts and Minds on youtube and now I can't find them or remember the names, particularly one about the presence of US "advisors" and "contractors" in SV after the US withdrawal that was badass.

edit: I'm not 100% sure they were peter davis movies, but they were contemporaneous docs ~40m each and one focused on the post withdrawal period and was eerily, disgustingly relevant to Iraq and Afghanistan

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 28, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Dispatches" and "Bloods".

Bloods is ridiculously good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Bloods is ridiculously good

Yeah it is, probably the first book about soldiering I read more than once.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mahoning posted:

At what point do you demonize the US to the point that you can no longer count on the cooperation of the veterans who have agreed to appear in and/or collaborate on your documentary?

Dude. Duuude. Demonize. Really? Demonize. Seriously?

You're trolling, right?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dude. Duuude. Demonize. Really? Demonize. Seriously?

You're trolling, right?

Demonize is the wrong word, but it's clear a lot of people evidently just wanted the whole thing to be political preaching to the choir of the left rather than a nonpartisan account of what happened. You don't have to church up the story of Vietnam to drive home the cynicism and incompetence of the US leadership, and the nastiness in American society at the time, and the documentary did a great job of showing that. The complaining here is half about tone, and half kneejerk dismissing a mainstream documentary on the subject out of principle without actually judging it on its merit.

All I know is I talked a lot with conservative co-workers about the documentary as it was playing, and it's clear it had an impact on them. If it would've just been a leftist pundit account of Vietnam it would've politicized the whole thing and they would've dismissed it without even watching. That would've served nobody. If you want an account of Vietnam from the perspective of your ideology, go find one. Ken Burns thing was never intended to be it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hate to break it you guys but war is a political event.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I hate to break it you guys but war is a political event.

It went deep into the politics of the war. It just didn't do it through the political lens of today.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Gotta hear both sides" couldn't be more through the political lens of today.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah that's not what it did at all.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Do you want a documentary or a polemic?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want a reckoning

I'll settle for a really good Ken Burns doc tho.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Volkerball posted:

a nonpartisan account of what happened.

No such thing. Burns is pushing a perspective the same as any other documentarian or historian. Like what is your argument here, republicans buy shoes too? Or do you think it's good that the documentary portrays Vietnam as a tragedy for America so jingoists can relate?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

No such thing. Burns is pushing a perspective the same as any other documentarian or historian. Like what is your argument here, republicans buy shoes too? Or do you think it's good that the documentary portrays Vietnam as a tragedy for America so jingoists can relate?

You think Vietnam wasn't a tragedy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SimonCat posted:

You think Vietnam wasn't a tragedy?

A tragedy for whom? If you insist on pinning an overall narrative arc to it, the good guys won. It had a happy ending. Millions of people had to suffer and die because the western imperial powers decided it was better to burn Asia to the ground and depopulate it than let it go red, so yeah there were countless awful tragedies mixed up in it. But no I don't think the failure of the US mission in Vietnam was a tragedy. The fact there was a US mission in Vietnam is an atrocity, the fact that thousands of mostly poor and disinterested US citizens died is awful, but the US military empire losing and heading home tail between its legs is not a tragedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SimonCat posted:

Do you want a documentary or a polemic?

What do you think a documentary is? I Love The 90's has a political bias.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Burns portrays it as a tragedy for Vietnam though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Burns portrays it as a tragedy for Vietnam though.

Why's it a tragedy for Vietnam?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

A tragedy for whom? If you insist on pinning an overall narrative arc to it, the good guys won. It had a happy ending. Millions of people had to suffer and die because the western imperial powers decided it was better to burn Asia to the ground and depopulate it than let it go red, so yeah there were countless awful tragedies mixed up in it. But no I don't think the failure of the US mission in Vietnam was a tragedy. The fact there was a US mission in Vietnam is an atrocity, the fact that thousands of mostly poor and disinterested US citizens died is awful, but the US military empire losing and heading home tail between its legs is not a tragedy.

So your argument here is that Vietnam was actually cool and good just because in the end it made the US look bad, and that Burns choosing not to make this a central theme demonstrates that he is biased.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Why's it a tragedy for Vietnam?

Because over three million vietnamese were killed during the war and forty two thousand has died of unexploded ordnance since the war officially ended?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Because over three million vietnamese were killed during the war and forty two thousand has died of unexploded ordnance since the war officially ended?

But's that's not a tragedy. That's a war. That's the problem with this neutralized framing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But's that's not a tragedy. That's a war.

Yeah, a war that according to Burn's documentary was fueled and prolonged by american intervention.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Volkerball posted:

So your argument here is that Vietnam was actually cool and good just because in the end it made the US look bad, and that Burns choosing not to make this a central theme demonstrates that he is biased.

No? The wars in SE Asia were bad because imperialism is bad, and fighting wars to maintain dominance over others is bad. Lots of people died in the struggle to grant the people of the region self government, and that's bad. It's not a tragedy. It wasn't a tragedy for the US either, it was an idiotic, bungled imperial adventure.

Burns is a human being, which demonstrates that he is biased. He and the rest of the artists involved created a piece of art, which necessarily frames its subject. No frame is impartial or objective

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, a war that according to Burn's documentary was fueled and prolonged by american intervention.

There's no need for the passive tense! I didn't think this was so controversial. War was not "fueled and prolonged by" the United States.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

No? The wars in SE Asia were bad because imperialism is bad, and fighting wars to maintain dominance over others is bad. Lots of people died in the struggle to grant the people of the region self government, and that's bad. It's not a tragedy. It wasn't a tragedy for the US either, it was an idiotic, bungled imperial adventure.

You're looking at it solely through a geopolitical lens. What millions of people experienced throughout the duration of the war absolutely was tragic. Their stories overwhelm any geopolitical result, to the point that any objective account of Vietnam is going to have a disproportionate focus on the suffering and tragedies people went through. I think the disconnect here is that Burns was targeting human beings as his audience, not Henry Kissinger.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

But's that's not a tragedy. That's a war.

:thunk:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*in my Foote in Ken Burn's Civil War voice*
Poster against poster, this thread... is a civil.. war.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

There's no need for the passive tense! I didn't think this was so controversial. War was not "fueled and prolonged by" the United States.

I'd say it was prolonged by the United States. It was pretty abbreviated once we left.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

War was not "fueled and prolonged by" the United States.

Nixon literally sabotaged peace negotiations in order to make the war last longer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SimonCat posted:

I'd say it was prolonged by the United States. It was pretty abbreviated once we left.

This means that the US was the aggressor in the war! Not that 'the war was prolonged by' US 'involvement'. That's what I mean, the bar is so low that even for Ken Burns, barely at the level of a high school textbook is considered ideal. Can't wait for that staid, evenhanded Iraq War documentary in 2033.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 29, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Christ how are you not understanding this? Ken Burns is not and never has been one to give a modern day critical overview of history. He lets the event unfold as it happened through the lens and voices of those who experienced it.

Personal accounts, interviews, letters, poetry, pictures, clips, newspaper articles, these are all hallmarks of Burns documentaries and they all have one thing in common: they are giving us first hand accounts by people who were there. His documentaries are experiential and not judgmental or critical. I’d argue you learn more from the former than the latter, since “this side was right and this side was wrong” is lazy and doesn’t let people make their own judgements. He basically lays it all out there and let’s you experience all the facts for yourself. What the hell point would there be in breaking the film down year by year and going through all the small details if you just want to force your opinion onto the audience in a very heavy handed way?

If you watched his Vietnam documentary and expected anything different than that then that’s on you, not Burns. Again, it’s like watching a Spielberg movie and whining that it’s not a romantic comedy. He’s not gonna change the kind of film he makes because you read a book that told you what to think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

Christ how are you not understanding this? Ken Burns is not and never has been one to give a modern day critical overview of history. He lets the event unfold as it happened through the lens and voices of those who experienced it.

Personal accounts, interviews, letters, poetry, pictures, clips, newspaper articles, these are all hallmarks of Burns documentaries and they all have one thing in common: they are giving us first hand accounts by people who were there. His documentaries are experiential and not judgmental or critical. I’d argue you learn more from the former than the latter, since “this side was right and this side was wrong” is lazy and doesn’t let people make their own judgements. He basically lays it all out there and let’s you experience all the facts for yourself. What the hell point would there be in breaking the film down year by year and going through all the small details if you just want to force your opinion onto the audience in a very heavy handed way?

If you watched his Vietnam documentary and expected anything different than that then that’s on you, not Burns. Again, it’s like watching a Spielberg movie and whining that it’s not a romantic comedy. He’s not gonna change the kind of film he makes because you read a book that told you what to think.

Spielberg has made at least 2 romantic comedies but I don't see how that has anything to do with anything. I'm not criticizing what Burns should have or could have done. I'm criticizing what he did.

You seem to have this weird belief that Burns's portrayal of the war is neutral, drawing objectively from a well of pure experience and fact to show equally "what it was like" for "both sides". That's silly, of course - Burns had to decide whose experiences to highlight, whose to cut, who not to interview at all, what images would and wouldn't play with what accounts, which determines how we interpret those accounts, and so forth. Anytime something is presented to you as unbiased and you believe it, what's actually happening is you're being told what you already believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How war is sold seems kinda relevant when the US is operating out of like a third of the countries on the planet. To be all defensive about 'well what did you want him to do!?' is not at all relevant. I really like Burns' work, he made a documentary that people are considering an important cultural event, and there's more to say about it than 'it was great! very fair.'

That's pretty much it.