Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cyouni posted:

I like how Gundham appears to be bringing up an objection because you didn't give the 4 Dark Devas of Destruction enough credit.

And also that he practically admitted to the murder when he got upset that nagito claimed he didn't fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And how he goes back to trying to say he didn't fight when he's specifically upset about the fact he's being accused of not fighting.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Sorry Gunhdam, but you're guilty. You've all but admitted it with your latest argument.

I'll be honest, when Nagito started doing the Closing Argument, I thought it was going to bring up the closing argument screen with Nagito in control.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just realised why Gundam did it - his hamsters were starving.

It was the only thing he could do to save them :(

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just realised why Gundam did it - his hamsters were starving.

It was the only thing he could do to save them :(

This already came up, he was feeding them sunflower seeds from the park.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Maybe he was worried because they were the only source of meat available and it was only a matter of time before someone tried to eat one?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dark Flame Master posted:

Maybe he was worried because they were the only source of meat available and it was only a matter of time before someone tried to eat one?

I wish someone had.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to see why so many people like Nagito so much. It's incredible how much better a character he is when making fun of people than he was as a suckup.

eating only apples posted:

I wish someone had.

Not really living up to your username there.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

kvx687 posted:

I'm starting to see why so many people like Nagito so much. It's incredible how much better a character he is when making fun of people than he was as a suckup.

Not really living up to your username there.

I find him incredibly irritating either way. I really can’t stand characters that look down on others, especially for superficial reasons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

eating only apples posted:

I wish someone had.

Would that count as a full murder they have to do a trial for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mecha_Face posted:

I find him incredibly irritating either way. I really can’t stand characters that look down on others, especially for superficial reasons.

To be fair, he does seem to still like Hajime. In a weird Nagito kind of way.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Ahh, man.... Thanks to dancingbears linking the Japanese audio of this trial, I get to experience the wonderfully despair-inducing difference between Ogata Megumi and Bryce. Not to knock on Bryce, but being able to hear Ogata's delicate yet effortless balance of breathy, breathless, whiny, insinuating, bemused. amused... If you haven't heard Nagito's Japanese voice, do yourself a favor and listen to it. It's totally the best thing in this whole franchise. I love it so much :kimchi:

Spoiler warning for the rest of the trial in the video as before, since it's the same video, but here's Ogata's breakdown. Or rather speed-up, because while it is the point of the trial where Hinata would carefully lay out the steps of the murder, he wants to speed through this boring poo poo and so Ogata mostly drops her regular Komaeda-idiolect of... not-quite-stridor and irregular prosody. (You can hear an example here when he talks about the opening act thing. Or when he plays Russian Roulette!)
Bryce... kinda sounds the same in his Nagito's breakdown of the case?

A shame, because this moment is hilarious.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

E-flat posted:

Ahh, man.... Thanks to dancingbears linking the Japanese audio of this trial, I get to experience the wonderfully despair-inducing difference between Ogata Megumi and Bryce. Not to knock on Bryce, but being able to hear Ogata's delicate yet effortless balance of breathy, breathless, whiny, insinuating, bemused. amused... If you haven't heard Nagito's Japanese voice, do yourself a favor and listen to it. It's totally the best thing in this whole franchise.

It really, really is. Bryce does ok and all, but nothing can possibly compare to the loving incredible job Ogata Megumi does as Komaeda.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mecha_Face posted:

Boy are you going to be happy when he gets trampled to death by an avalanche of hippos.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Boy are you going to be happy when he gets trampled to death by an avalanche of hippos.

Why would Nagito get trampled to death by hippos?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Why would Nagito get trampled to death by hippos?

Hoo boy, if you're questioning things here, now, even after a character came back as a robot you're gonna be really confused when Galactus shows up.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: So that skill I got from Nagito turned out to only be a little useful. It's supposed to make speeding up the tempo easier and it did work for the first speed up but beyond that it wasn't anything special.

: I think it's just a fundamental problem with the way this minigame works. Continually having to press the button in time with the rhythm in the first game made you aware of the actual rhythm and helped you keep the beat.

: Pressing and holding the button and trying to release in time with the rhythm doesn't work nearly as well since you don't have that innate sense of tempo that comes from pushing a button in time with a beat. It's very easy to just lose your sense of rhythm like this and I quickly gave up and just decided to use the FEVER time to make my life easier.

: It's Nekomaru's back! Do you really think I can get behind him so easily!?

: Even if you didn't get behind Nekomaru, you should've been able to press the button on the back of his neck...
: As long as you had the power of the hamsters you keep with you!
: ...Oh!?

: Are you seriously saying he used his hamsters to press the button on the back of Nekomaru's neck?
: Of course, that'd be impossible for a normal hamster, but it would've been possible for Gundham's. In fact, we saw that with our very own eyes, right?

: Emissary of evil... In accordance with our ancient contract... The time has come to lend me your aid...
: Pierce through! Supernova Silver Fox San-D!

: Chuuuu! Chuuuuu!

*Click!*

: Ah, it pressed the button...?

: Truly, this is the Skyline Lamentation Art of the Demon Mouse...!
: Fuhahahaha! Soon, the door of destiny shall open!

: Now that you mention it...after Ibuki was killed in the music venue, one of Gundham's hamsters retrieved the piece of wallpaper from the baton lighting, right?
: ...
: Hey, with your friends and their exceptionally smart brains, it must've been possible...
: ...to secretly get one of them behind Mechamaru, and press the button on the back of his neck.

: How about it...Gundham!?
: ...Ke!
: Kehe...

: Kehehe...fuhahahahaha!
: Not just myself...but you actually brought up how splendid my subordinates are...

: ...Hmph, I have no recourse but to admit it.
: A-Admit it...? Did you say...you admit it?
: It appears I've obtained a one-way ticket to hell...

: Fine! Then you must trample me underfoot and advance! Victory can only be built upon a foundation of corpses! You cannot find peace without sacrifice anywhere!
: Now, trample this life! Trample it as though it were mere trash on the side of the road!

: Pull the curtain strings of this worthless performance with your own two hands!

: Nothing really new to mention here, just that the Closing Argument is back to being about 10 questions long after last trial's small one.

: Stupid Nagito, trying to steal our job from us. This is our duty!

: Here's everything that happened in this case!

: (Don't forget to read right to left!)

: Let's first go over the many tricks the killer prepared before they committed the crime.

: First, they destroyed the contact elevator. This separated Nagito and the others in Strawberry House from our group in Grape House.

: Next, they lured Nekomaru out by himself by turning back all the clocks in the Funhouse by two hours.

: Additionally, in order to secure an alibi, the killer went to the Strawberry House lounge and set the wall clock's alarm to 5:30 a.m.

: After finishing their preparations, the killer went to Strawberry Tower with the necessary tools in hand. They obtained these tools from the Octagon, which you can enter once you clear the Final Dead Room...

: This means...the killer discovered the secret of the Funhouse faster than anybody else. The secret being Strawberry House and Grape House are actually the same building...

: On the morning of the incident, Nekomaru woke up and headed over to Grape Tower for a specific reason.

: There, Fuyuhiko, who was at the lounge by coincidence, witnessed Nekomaru. According to Fuyuhiko's testimony, that was around 5:00 a.m. but by that point, the killer had already messed with our perception of time... In actuality, Fuyuhiko witnessed Nekomaru at 7:00 a.m. That's also the same time Monokuma Tai Chi begins... Nekomaru went to Grape Tower to participate in that.

: However, because the contact elevator was broken, Nekomaru was unable to go to Grape Tower... So he decided to try going to Strawberry Tower.

: But...the killer was waiting for him there.

: With the power of hamsters, they were able to press the Good Night Button on the back of Nekomaru's neck...

: This forced him to enter sleep mode, rendering him immobile. From there, the killer began preparing to use the Ultimate Weapon...

: First, they set the alarm in Nekomaru's chest for 7:30 a.m. so he'd wake up...

: Then they tied him up with a metal wire, tied the tip of the wire into a loop, and hung it on the doorknob.

: After leaving Strawberry Tower, the killer then destroyed the door button to Strawberry Hall. They did this to keep us from entering Strawberry Tower, and to keep us from discovering the secret of the building structure that they used to kill Nekomaru.

: Then, they used the secret Octagon passageway to travel to Grape House... After arriving at Grape Hall, they pressed the button to open the door to the tower.

: When that happened, the elevator-like floor of the tower began descending, and Nekomaru's body was still inside, dangling upside-down in midair from the wire. The killer entered Grape Tower to see if their setup was successful...

: ...and placed a hammer on the floor to look like the weapon, then wrapped a chain around the back door. This was done to make us falsely believe we couldn't enter the tower from Strawberry Hall.

: With this, the killer finished their setup and tried to go back to their room using the secret passage...so they could craft their alibi when Nekomaru died from the fall.

: But something unexpected happening. Fuyuhiko, who saw Nekomaru earlier, was still at the lounge. As a result, the killer couldn't return to their room, and with no options available, time ran out...

: The lounge's wall clock alarm started ringing at 5:30...well, actually 7:30... To avoid a worst-case scenario, the killer was forced to appear in front of Fuyuhiko and with the others.

: When the wall clock's alarm rang, that was also the same time Nekomaru was waking up...

: He woke up while he was still hanging upside-down, so he couldn't help but sway his body powerfully... Originally, the loop of wire was only supposed to slip off the doorknob, but because there was a heavier load than expected, the doorknob ended up breaking.

: Nekomaru fell from the 4th floor all the way to the 1st floor...

: He crashed into the pillar, which decapitated him on impact, and died... The sound of Nekomaru's impact echoed throughout the Funhouse...

: However, by this point, the killer's plan was about to fail. Thanks to the broken doorknob...and Fuyuhiko... Meaning, the killer is someone who wouldn't have heard the alarm if they were in the Deluxe Room. They also wouldn't have been able to return to their guestroom because Fuyuhiko was at the lounge...

: That someone is Gundham Tanaka... I can't think of anyone else but you!

: Kehehe... Splendid...
: Fuhahahaha, that was splendid! For a mere human, you did quite well!

: Stop...stop it already... Stop using weird words to avoid the truth...
: Or...I'll friggin' kill you myself!

: I cannot believe it... I just...cannot believe... You... You killed...Nekomaru...?
: I cannot believe something like that!

: ...You don't wish to forgive me? Do you feel regret?
: Then finish it! Cast your impure votes for Gundham Tanaka!

: My beloved, deadly foes! Let the voting time begin!

: Hmm...this result isn't all that exciting...
: Now then, please pull the lever in front of you and cast your vote. Who will be chosen as the blackened!? Will you make the right choice or the dreadfully wrong one!?

: Please pull the lev--ngh!
: ...Crap! I bit my tongue at the most important part!

: I actually did really poorly in the video version of the trial. Only a B! Unacceptable. Thankfully, I got an A on the screenshots pass!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That is the smuggest Climax Inference yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if Gundham's guilty or him and the 4 Dark Devas of Destruction also get executed.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

: As long as you had the power of the hamsters you keep with you!

This loving game.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Stroth posted:

This loving game.

I laughed out loud at that part, couldn't help it.

Hmm, can't help but feeling Gundham's confession lacked the oomph of some of the others, but I guess it's hard to shock with a sudden switch to insanity when the guy's been wildly delusional all along. Feels like there's got to be more coming here though, like at least something about his motive. (probably also hamster related). It was a nice touch that it was his need to brag about how awesome he and they were that ultimately confirmed things however.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if Gundham's guilty or him and the 4 Dark Devas of Destruction also get executed.

Well, the hamsters only pressed the goodnight button from all indication. Unless Monokuma decides to be a jerk, they're more accomplices than murderers.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Let Sonia take care of the hamsters!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait to see how this execution involves hamsters.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stroth posted:

This loving game.

Yeah, it rules. I'm glad they managed to work the hamsters in somehow.

Big props to Gundham's voice actor here, he sounded like he had a blast just going full ham here. I'm still a little sad that it's Gundham who did it and not Kazuichi. The thing where Fuyuhiko and Kazuichi checking the Deluxe Rooms being the downfall of this plan feels flimsy considering how they never bothered to check in on Nagito.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

amigolupus posted:

Big props to Gundham's voice actor here, he sounded like he had a blast just going full ham here. I'm still a little sad that it's Gundham who did it and not Kazuichi. The thing where Fuyuhiko and Kazuichi checking the Deluxe Rooms being the downfall of this plan feels flimsy considering how they never bothered to check in on Nagito.

They didnt end up checking any of the rooms, but Gundham couldn't risk that they would so he had to show up.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zakrelo posted:

They didnt end up checking any of the rooms, but Gundham couldn't risk that they would so he had to show up.

Also: gently caress Nagito.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gundham pretty much gave up right away honestly. It was only when his pride was insulted that he tried again.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm a bit conflicted here, while I think that Nagito is far more fun when he isn't a complete bootlicker I still hope that Hajime decides to clock him after the trial.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FPzero posted:

: However, because the contact elevator was broken, Nekomaru was unable to go to Grape Tower... So he decided to try going to Strawberry Tower.

See, this part still makes absolutely no sense to me. Mechamaru couldn't take the contact elevator to the Grape House and from there walk to Grape Tower for the tai chi because the killer had messed with it. So he instead decided to head in what was - as far as he knew - the totally opposite direction.

Monokuma had told everyone to be in Grape Tower for tai chi, and the only way the boys had to get to that place was via the contact elevator. So now everyone in Strawberry house was screwed as there was no way for any of them to reach Grape tower. But, still Mechamaru didn't try to give anyone a warning.

He just walked off in the wrong direction, without trying to tell anyone. And got killed by a loving hamster.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

See, this part still makes absolutely no sense to me. Mechamaru couldn't take the contact elevator to the Grape House and from there walk to Grape Tower for the tai chi because the killer had messed with it. So he instead decided to head in what was - as far as he knew - the totally opposite direction.

Monokuma had told everyone to be in Grape Tower for tai chi, and the only way the boys had to get to that place was via the contact elevator. So now everyone in Strawberry house was screwed as there was no way for any of them to reach Grape tower. But, still Mechamaru didn't try to give anyone a warning.

He just walked off in the wrong direction, without trying to tell anyone. And got killed by a loving hamster.

They all thought Strawberry Tower and Grape Tower were the exact same place, just with different doors open. Mechamaru was choosing between going there and hoping that was good enough for Monokuma, and going somewhere else and definitely getting punished.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh good lord, yes.

I had the original maps open from earlier in the thread and somehow convinced myself they had thought the two houses and towers were completely separate :doh:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: Nevermind.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ironically, the tower secret would have been solved three days earlier if chiaki hadnt put her monopad in the exact center of the room during her experiment

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I was hoping the game was going to mention this during the Climax Inference, but it didn't so I'll bring it up now:

How did Gundham beat the Russian Roulette game? Did he decide that a 1-in-6 chance at death was worth risking in order to get more information about the interior rooms, and leave open the possibility of murdering someone later? It's hard to say at this point in the story whether he could somehow have tampered with those odds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He had a 5/6 chance to win. Easy as that. If he loses, he doesn't have to worry about being hungry anymore.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Leylite posted:

I was hoping the game was going to mention this during the Climax Inference, but it didn't so I'll bring it up now:

How did Gundham beat the Russian Roulette game? Did he decide that a 1-in-6 chance at death was worth risking in order to get more information about the interior rooms, and leave open the possibility of murdering someone later? It's hard to say at this point in the story whether he could somehow have tampered with those odds.

bullets can't get through his Barrier so he was fine either way

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Venuz Patrol posted:

ironically, the tower secret would have been solved three days earlier if chiaki hadnt put her monopad in the exact center of the room during her experiment

You know, when this scene happens earlier in the Chapter, I wondered if anyone would pick up on the secret early. You can make an inference about the tower if you're paying careful attention.

Oh wait those are pretty small, let's get some larger images in here.

[timg]https://lpix.org/2961270/C4-4.mp4_snapshot_18.28_[2017.08.07_22.34.17].jpg[/timg]

[timg]https://lpix.org/2961271/C4-4.mp4_snapshot_24.40_[2017.08.07_22.53.01].jpg[/timg]

If you look carefully, the Monopad is in exactly the same orientation in both images. If the doors led into the tower as the kids believed they did, the pad should be rotated 180 degrees depending on which way you enter. But it's not. You can infer if you're paying attention that the tower either rotates or moves in some other way such that the pad always faces towards the door you enter from. Of course, you can also just write this off as part of the game's presentation since these game sprites are always facing the camera. And within the context of the LP, the original images were probably too small for anyone to notice such a detail. That's the downside of keeping images small I guess.

Still it's a neat bit of foreshadowing you can pick up on when you play a second time like I did.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Leylite posted:

A 1/6 chance of dying doesn't look so bad when you're already starving to death, especially if there might be a way out afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

edit: Moved to the top of the next page instead.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 30, 2017

• Locked thread