Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hi there! The state of Nintendo console hacking has advanced rapidly in the last few years, to the point where outside of the switch, you can hack any other Nintendo console to run homebrew apps. Here’s how!

Both the 3ds and Wii-U have nicely arranged, easy to digest guides

3DS: https://3ds.guide

Wii-U: https://wiiu.guide

SNES Classic: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2

And More posted:

I always used to recommend this guide to people who wanted to softmod their Wii: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
It should be up to date, since it's got a bunch of Wiiu stuff in it as well.

As an alternative to the .guide sites, I'd also like to recommend

https://gbatemp.net/threads/mattkim...g-guide.462121/

for Wiiu softmodding.

Switch: Switch hacking is in its infancy yet, very few things have been done with it and Nintendo is constantly patching against hacks that are found. Plus there is still a Nintendo online service/NESFlix service coming, and no one knows how that will work yet. Long story short, you can’t hack your switch yet. There is good news though, Doom is being ported to the switch, so the end result is the same.

What can I do with hacked consoles?

You can run homebrew, emulators, change themes, move files over ftp and a myriad of other things on the 3ds and Wii-U. On the SNES classic you can add or remove roms, change backdrops and run retroarch, an emulator that lets you run roms for systems up to the n64. Discussion of :filez: and where to get :filez: is generally not allowed so don’t do it.

Is it safe/Will i brick my console?

At this point, the 3ds and Wii-U guides are very well vetted and if you follow the directions closely you shouldn’t break your system. As always, your mileage may vary and if you aren’t fully comfortable potentially bricking your console and voiding the warranty then you shouldn’t hack your console.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

A moment of silence for the nine posts trapped in the old thread, never to see the light of day

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RIP, posts

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:rip:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:rip: Lost to the database.

Also for Switch Hax, it seems like you'll have to be stuck on the earliest version to even make use of homebrew there. And they might not find another exploit to make use of. At this point, you'd basically have to decide between homebrew (which isn't all that developed yet) or using it as a normal game system.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks to the last thread I was able to hack my 3DS just so I could patch the orchestral score into Dragon Quest 8 to play it the way god intended

Thanks homebrew thread

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully this thread doesn’t break like the old one.

Are homebrewed 3DS’ still getting bans?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Haven't heard anything recently. Nintendo could be just compiling for their next big wave however.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

There haven't really been new bans since that initial wave, but no one's really definitively answered how the bans happened either (no real consistency in terms of installed software/settings was ever determined, and some people got banned with just the CFW and nothing else installed). I would expect it'll happen again in a month with Pokémon Ultra, especially since it's probably the last chance Nintendo will have to do a 3DS ban that might actually bother people.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yay new thread!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Is it just me not being able to tell the difference, or does Samus Returns run at 60fps on a hacked New 3DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Caithness posted:

Is it just me not being able to tell the difference, or does Samus Returns run at 60fps on a hacked New 3DS?

It doesn’t. It’s still 30. It’s probably slightly more stable though.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
So the elevator and teleport FMVs are at like 15fps, then?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Caithness posted:

So the elevator and teleport FMVs are at like 15fps, then?

Yep.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Thanks for the new thread and thanks to Nintendo for reusing code in firmware to parse RSA sigs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They do what now?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What's the easiest way to do cheats? I want to go back into animal crossing but i want to have more bells and stuff.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stan Taylor posted:

What's the easiest way to do cheats? I want to go back into animal crossing but i want to have more bells and stuff.

For Animal Crossing it's either this save editor: https://gbatemp.net/threads/animal-crossing-new-leaf-save-editor.382965/ (Don't forget to backup your saves!)

or this cheat plugin: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-animal-crossing-new-leaf-multi-cheat-ntr-plugin.428522/ (Also backup your saves!)

The save editor is cool if you want to mess with your town on a larger scale (like moving rivers and houses). If you just want more money, the cheat plugin is probably simpler to use. You can also take some funky photos with the cheat plugin, so that's a plus.

edit: Oh yeah, you can get NTR via FBI.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wait you can add a 64 emulator to the snes classic???

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait you can add a 64 emulator to the snes classic???

Yeah but it's not a good one. N64 is on the way, way upper end of what the SNES Classic hardware is capable of, and most games don't run properly.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If you buy a N3DS XL today, will it be hackable?

Only asking because Amazon just announced a US SNES-style n3ds xl and I wanna buy it. Would be ironic if I can't use it for all my SNES roms.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If you buy a N3DS XL today, will it be hackable?

Only asking because Amazon just announced a US SNES-style n3ds xl and I wanna buy it. Would be ironic if I can't use it for all my SNES roms.

It might not be hackable purely with software (the limit for that is firmware 11.3.0 currently) but literally any unit can be hacked using an original DS flashcart and ntrboot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It might not be hackable purely with software (the limit for that is firmware 11.3.0 currently) but literally any unit can be hacked using an original DS flashcart and ntrboot.

Woah that's awesome! I did not know what was the case. Thank you!

edit: Where are the guides if using a DS flashcart? The only guide I see talks about a system transfer.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here -> https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...I had glossed over this the first time, but I have an R4 (that's pushing ten years old now) and a small magnet and a New 3DS XL. Nice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...I had glossed over this the first time, but I have an R4 (that's pushing ten years old now) and a small magnet and a New 3DS XL. Nice.

Me too. Thanks, repiv! No clue why the guide does not link you to that with a thing saying "if you have a DS flash cart, click here". I never saw that page on the site. Thanks again!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The thread growed up :kiddo:

I’d suggest still leaving wii hacks in the op because people still do that

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I always used to recommend this guide to people who wanted to softmod their Wii: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

for Wiiu softmodding. It doesn't get more straight forward than that guide.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
What's the best homebrew way to transfer saves and settings from one 3ds to another?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is Wii U currently hackable with the latest firmware? I updated a couple of months ago or so and then learned the exploit at the time didn't work on the newer firmware, but there was a hub-hub about the crunchyroll app being a possible entry point and for people to download it (I did so) and then haven't looked into the matter anymore.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the best homebrew way to transfer saves and settings from one 3ds to another?

Saves, definitely JKSM. Don't know about settings.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Saoshyant posted:

Is Wii U currently hackable with the latest firmware? I updated a couple of months ago or so and then learned the exploit at the time didn't work on the newer firmware, but there was a hub-hub about the crunchyroll app being a possible entry point and for people to download it (I did so) and then haven't looked into the matter anymore.

There's a new web exploit but it's not as stable so it'll take more attempts to get working than with 5.5.1. Haxchi still works though and is still stable so your best bet is to have everything prepared for a haxchi install beforehand, run the web exploit and hope you get into the homebrew launcher (if not, try again til you do), and then install haxchi onto Brain Age/some other DS title you buy from the eshop that Haxchi works on. Brain Age is usually the cheapest but definitely check before you go off and buy it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

What does soft modding mean? I'm still reading through the site in the OP and educating myself before I give this a proper whirl. Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Soft modding (as far as I'm aware) means that all the modifications are done at a software level - there's no modification or addition to the hardware itself.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

What does soft modding mean? I'm still reading through the site in the OP and educating myself before I give this a proper whirl. Thanks!

Soft modding means modding a console via software exploits without the use of a hardware mod (which involves soldering something to the console, usually)

edit: beaten

edit 2: For example. A software mod would be most of the stuff going on in this thread or using tom clancy's splinter cell on an original xbox or like flashing the dvd drive of a 360 with a different firmware that lets you pirate games.

A hardware mod is something like soldering a modchip to your ps2/soldering stuff to the nand on a 3ds and writing stuff to it (or whatever you did for hard mod hacking a 3ds on the latest firmwares before new software exploits like ntrboot showed up)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 28, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And More posted:

for Wiiu softmodding. It doesn't get more straight forward than that guide.

Added to OP

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Haven't seen much Switch hacking stuff, as they're still in early stages, but I thought I might share something pretty cool. I did a shell swap on my Joy-Cons a while back, and I just found a tool that allows you to change the color that the Joy-Cons show up as in the Switch UI. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tool-joy-con-toolkit-v1-0.478560/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hacked my Wii U sometime earlier this year, before Nintendo dropped whatever the last update was. I've got Haxchi and the Homebrew Channel installed, am I able to update my Wii U and various games, as well as open my internet connection back up to play online?

Also, is vWii hacking just as easy as the rest? Emulators on Wii U are garbage; I did some looking around a couple weeks ago and I think they have access to Wii U Pro Controllers and the Gamepad now, in Wii mode?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hacked my Wii U sometime earlier this year, before Nintendo dropped whatever the last update was. I've got Haxchi and the Homebrew Channel installed, am I able to update my Wii U and various games, as well as open my internet connection back up to play online?

Also, is vWii hacking just as easy as the rest? Emulators on Wii U are garbage; I did some looking around a couple weeks ago and I think they have access to Wii U Pro Controllers and the Gamepad now, in Wii mode?

So long as you have haxchi installed you can update to 5.5.2 without issue. We're mostly in the clear with respect to updates breaking stuff. There's a chance we'll get one when zelda gets the second season pass dlc but other than that looks like they're done updating the wii u.

hacking vWii is just following a guide. As for getting things like the wii u pro controller, etc working in vWii mode I don't know much about that but probably has something to do with making vWii forwarder channels on the wii u system menu. I'm not sure though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If anyone is looking to do Amiibo stuff but don't want to buy a N2 Elite or an Android phone to back up Amiibo, you can have your hacked 3DS do it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beta-thenaya-tagmo-for-3ds.475870/

Has mostly the same features and limitations as TagMo.