Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Has anyone bought from mechanicalkeyboards.com and delivered to the UK? I found a pretty good deal on the Ducky One TKL on cclonline (open box) and was thinking I could just purchase some white keycaps and replace, but that would actually run me more than the MK Disco from mechanicalkeyboards even after the $40 delivery charge seeing as the disco already comes with white pbt keycaps. That's only if there's no stupid import fees applied after delivery. Has anyone in the UK bought from mechanicalkeyboards.com and did you have any added import fees?

Failing that or if there are charges, maybe someone could reccomend me some good simple and cheap white keycaps that work well with an rgb keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I live in Canada and my vortex core from mk.com shipped out of Sweden for some reason. I had to pay federal sales tax but it was only like $26.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

oh heck yes, I've been pining for that Godspeed set ever since I got into this mechkeeb game (three weeks ago)

Too bad the SA Max Ashen set isn't part of this re-cap though

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Wait, would there be any reasons why I wouldn't be able to use newer keycaps on my current k70 corsair keyboard?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Your bottom row isn't going to fit.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Etrips posted:

Wait, would there be any reasons why I wouldn't be able to use newer keycaps on my current k70 corsair keyboard?

As this handy page (linked in the OP, infact) shows the Corsair K70 has a unique bottom row.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

oh heck yes, I've been pining for that Godspeed set ever since I got into this mechkeeb game (three weeks ago)

Too bad the SA Max Ashen set isn't part of this re-cap though

Not to rain on your parade, but set your expectations low. A lot of those “sets” will be custom add-ons (ISO kits, spacebars, etc.) that didn’t sell for some reason. What is there will go fast, so decide what you want ahead of time and be ready to pull the trigger super-fast if it turns out they’re selling it.

Sort of related: lol http://www.massdrama.com/ is a thing. I’d take them with a grain of salt (they obviously have a chip on their shoulder) but it definitely shows what can go wrong when you participate in a group buy. And it’s hilarious, as long as it isn’t happening to you. :D

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Aww, but my parade was gonna have astronauts in it :(

This evening, at a friend's birthday dinner, there were some generic chocolate cupcakes. I had one with royal blue icing, and the first thought I had was how the color combination of near-black brown and Platonic-ideal blue could make an interesting keycap set.

what have i gotten myself into

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

This evening, at a friend's birthday dinner, there were some generic chocolate cupcakes. I had one with royal blue icing, and the first thought I had was how the color combination of near-black brown and Platonic-ideal blue could make an interesting keycap set.

what have i gotten myself into

Pretty sure I’ve seen that exact idea twice. Hell if I can remember the sets though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why did i go out and buy a logitec g413:negative:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

You might get lucky with the Godspeed SA ones though. Because they took so long to get done they had people opt back in or withdraw from the drop, but if I recall they didn't change the production numbers so there are probably a few leftovers. So you'll need to be on the button (and definitely work out your preferred sets beforehand) but it's worth a look.

I'm done with new cap sets for now but, ironically, because I got a discount code from another delayed set I went in on the recent WASD V2 drop with Clears (shipping was cheaper than direct). It'll be interesting to see how I like them after using Browns the last couple of years.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bustercasey posted:

This is probably the best price you'd pay for that many keys in SA profile. Any set with some nicer novelties will be way more expensive for this number of keys and the novelties being in an add-on kit anyway. I got this set on my xd60 and I'm very happy with the quality/feel.

This layout has a 2u shift btw, which is a hard cap to find. So I just made it 2 1u and have one as the Fn.

Where did you get that case? There's a similar one in rosewood up in massdrop right now, but I love that walnuty finish.

e; Looks like $150 on Datamancer :(

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 26, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

You might get lucky with the Godspeed SA ones though. Because they took so long to get done they had people opt back in or withdraw from the drop, but if I recall they didn't change the production numbers so there are probably a few leftovers. So you'll need to be on the button (and definitely work out your preferred sets beforehand) but it's worth a loo

Hope I'll get lucky :pray:

Already set my sights on the cockpit + modifiers sets. If not that, then the more-expensive combo of solar alphas, modifiers, and novelty caps should satisfy me.

oh poo poo guess i should try to get the calculus set too for when i inevitably get a ducky pocket to go with my tkl

:shepspends::homebrew:

please help

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I once again find myself both happy and sad that custom keycap makers continue to treat backlit keyboards as second class. I know I don't need new caps and my wallet agrees, but there are a few of those designs that I'd be struggling to contain myself on if they actually worked for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

I once again find myself both happy and sad that custom keycap makers continue to treat backlit keyboards as second class. I know I don't need new caps and my wallet agrees, but there are a few of those designs that I'd be struggling to contain myself on if they actually worked for me.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-translucent-keycap-sets/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Nah, I don't find blanks appealing and definitely don't want entirely transparent/translucent ones. I'm looking for translucent legends on normal opaque keys. Preferably doubleshot, the ones that are just translucent keys painted to be opaque are inevitably going to wear out.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

wolrah posted:

Nah, I don't find blanks appealing and definitely don't want entirely transparent/translucent ones. I'm looking for translucent legends on normal opaque keys. Preferably doubleshot, the ones that are just translucent keys painted to be opaque are inevitably going to wear out.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1330
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So... my K-Type shipped.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I think you may be misunderstanding. I'm not saying that aftermarket backlight-compatible keycaps don't exist. I'm saying that the vast majority of what would normally be called custom keycap sets are not backlight compatible. Stuff like what's in the Massdrop link. Custom colors, special legends, something that you wouldn't find shipping on a retail keyboard.

Those look like nice caps and even have the addon parts for the Corsair bottom row, but they're not really comparable to GMK Carbon or something like that. The black ones are almost identical in appearance to the stock keys on my K95.

That said I am considering buying the white set to mix and match in for some contrast.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

teethgrinder posted:

So... my K-Type shipped.

Me too! They're claiming Nov 1st delivery for me. I honestly thought it wouldn't make it before the end of the year, with Massdrop's history.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Took delivery of a Corsair K70 Rapidfire with the Cherry Speed switches yesterday. One of those Amazon Warehouse deals where it's cheaper cos the packaging is damaged or similar. Today I'm having to ship it back because the spacebar is defective - at first it was doubling inputs, but then started doing either that or not registering inputs at all. Is this something common to the K70? Should I get something else instead once I get my Amazon refund?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What are you looking for in a keyboard? If you're just starting to wander into this money pit, I suggest trying out cheap keyboards like the team zhuque stuff on Amazon.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

namaste faggots posted:

What are you looking for in a keyboard? If you're just starting to wander into this money pit, I suggest trying out cheap keyboards like the team zhuque stuff on Amazon.

Something to replace my Microsoft Ergonomic Wave keyboard. A full-size thing with a numpad.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I'm looking for a tenkeyless or 60% Keyboard that is available in ISO formats.
I like the recommendations in the op, however, I could only find the Vortex Race 3 in the ISO layout.

What kind of alternatives are there?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Pumprag posted:

I'm looking for a tenkeyless or 60% Keyboard that is available in ISO formats.
I like the recommendations in the op, however, I could only find the Vortex Race 3 in the ISO layout.

What kind of alternatives are there?

There are Pok3r iso’s too.

I don’t get the appeal of ISO layouts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is live. Just ordered Dasher SA for my upcoming tada68 build

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

it's nice to be able to type in your native language without holding a bunch of keys at the same time

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Yeah the poker too.
You will get the appeal when you have to type umlauts all the time.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

mewse posted:

This is live. Just ordered Dasher SA for my upcoming tada68 build

That was a bit of a shitshow. Had my Godspeed Cockpit and Modifiers on order, chose PayPal, hit Join... then it never stopped loading.

Tried again after a minute this time with CC payment, and the Cockpit was sold out :( but I was able to get Solar Alphas and Novelties in a third attempt, which actually saves me some money. I wanted regular modifiers but the Godspeed key, but I guess I'll just have wacky modifiers instead! :v:

eta: Ooh, perhaps I can make use of the AYY LMAO key to commemorate this madness

eta²: Uh oh. I just got PayPal confirmation that the payment for the first order went through, but I do not have a Massdrop order confirmation for that. Time to email customer support to tell them to fulfill the first order if they have the Cockpit and cancel the second, or refund the PayPal and fulfill the second order if there are no Cockpits left and lol yeah right I'm hosed aren't I

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 27, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pumprag posted:

Yeah the poker too.
You will get the appeal when you have to type umlauts all the time.

Yeah exactly. Imagine having to type "vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur" or even more rudimentary every day sentences like "jeg liker å gå på treningsstudio om morgenen når ingen er der" on a non iso keyboard

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

That was a bit of a shitshow. Had my Godspeed Cockpit and Modifiers on order, chose PayPal, hit Join... then it never stopped loading.

Tried again after a minute this time with CC payment, and the Cockpit was sold out :( but I was able to get Solar Alphas and Novelties in a third attempt, which actually saves me some money. I wanted regular modifiers but the Godspeed key, but I guess I'll just have wacky modifiers instead! :v:

eta: Ooh, perhaps I can make use of the AYY LMAO key to commemorate this madness

eta²: Uh oh. I just got PayPal confirmation that the payment for the first order went through, but I do not have a Massdrop order confirmation for that. Time to email customer support to tell them to fulfill the first order if they have the Cockpit and cancel the second, or refund the PayPal and fulfill the second order if there are no Cockpits left and lol yeah right I'm hosed aren't I

Welcome to $15 of Massdrop credit (one order only, time-limited for 6 months)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Motherf....

I had no idea the resale of old sets was limited quantity only. I wanted to grab a Dasher/Dancer set for muh keeb.

Goddammit!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Be somewhat glad you didn't. I now realize the sets I was able to purchase don't include the F-keys :haw: so if my initial PayPal order doesn't go through I have a pile of keys I can't really finish a keyboard with

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What are 'speed switches'? Is this some crazy gamer poo poo?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

What are 'speed switches'? Is this some crazy gamer poo poo?

Linear switches with a reduced actuation point.

It’s company’s making up lies again that linear switches are “gaming” switches.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Yeah. They’re Reds but even more uncomfortable.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I wanted Reds but was able to get the Speed version cheaper. I think if I do go for another mechanical board in the future I'll go for Brown or Red, though. For the short time I had the keyboard I was pressing keys by mistake because of how sensitive they are.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 28, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got the standard Reds, Browns, and Greens. Also plenty of bucking spring Unicomps and Model M's. Browns are so nice. They are extremely similar in feel to old system keyboards like the Commador 64s and Data General Terminal keyboards. My fingers like them anyhow. Reds take finesse. Too easy for my hamfists.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Yeah, my K70 RGB had Reds and everytime I sneezed or coughed with my fingers on the board I typed out a sentence. I don't see how anyone can use linear switches that light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tell me about it. I got one with cherry clears and I went to take a drink and suddenly the unabomber manifesto was typed out on my screen and emailed to the FBI