Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

exmarx posted:

Ep 8
Bob got his just desserts; Will only got got because of his lovely advice :colbert:

Bob was a saint and his advice was sage for what it was meant for you turd.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This was a very strong second season outside of 6-7 which really messed up the pacing and Billy who just felt unnecessary.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Am I the only one that liked Nancy and Jonathon's arc? The real big bad was the lab, just stopping the monster without addressing the CIA stuff would have been weak. It was a peril that having guns, fire or a telekinetic badass couldn't solve. I liked that the kids are playing ghost busters and the teens are playing Nancy drew.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I noticed early on, maybe episode 2 or so there's a scene where Paul Reiser pretty much repeats his scene from Aliens with turning off a monitor, and if I remember right it's even shot in the same way. Then in Episode 5 Jim scoops his hat up off the ground, and the angle of it is exactly Indiana Jones. Probably more little homages like that. These spoilers are mild as gently caress, feel free to mouse.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved this season. I think I liked as much as S1. I even liked ep 7.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Holy poo poo. I was kinda loving it until episode 7. And I'm pretty sure that episode exists to set up the next season, which leaves me with no desire to watch 8 or 9. Was somebody else put in charge of the sister episode? I mean the writing, the acting, the cinematography, pretty much every aspect of it felt like it was from some early failed WB pilot for a terrible show.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Forget 7, just go on and watch 8 and 9, they're good.

lol Duffer brothers saying "u mad?" because you didn't like episode 7

lol so much for Jancy:

Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton deported from US after 'cocaine bust'

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 28, 2017

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

I remember someone telling me that the actors who played the 'teen' characters (Jonathan, etc.) leaned in hard on partying/drugs/etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think a big part of the reason episode 7 stands out so forcefully is that it's a massive aesthetic departure from the rest of the show. Stranger Things made itself visually distinct in the first season - and in most of the second season - by fully embracing the Spielbergian 80s in its design and setting conceit. It's small town America, populated by stereotypes (some of which get mercilessly turned on their head), with the undercurrent of something weird hiding just below the squeaky-clean suburbs. Jumping from E.T. to loving CHAPPiE for one episode is jarring, and while that may be part of the point, it was a bridge too far for me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 2 = excellent.

Episode 7 = bad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
We really aught to put "skep episode 7" at the top of every page for a while. I'm going to watch it later on, but from what I've read it sounds like a lovely pilot for awhole other show. I don't know if it contributed anything but skipping it didn't hurt at all.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vermain posted:

I think a big part of the reason episode 7 stands out so forcefully is that it's a massive aesthetic departure from the rest of the show. Stranger Things made itself visually distinct in the first season - and in most of the second season - by fully embracing the Spielbergian 80s in its design and setting conceit. It's small town America, populated by stereotypes (some of which get mercilessly turned on their head), with the undercurrent of something weird hiding just below the squeaky-clean suburbs. Jumping from E.T. to loving CHAPPiE for one episode is jarring, and while that may be part of the point, it was a bridge too far for me.

Yeah, I think the issue is that it's actually just a different show. Like it might be a good show, it might be a bad show, but it doesn't really matter, it's not stranger things season 2, which is what I was watching. There's no continuation between the two, except for Ele, who actually isn't a large part of season 2.

We're not given enough time among the new characters, visual direction and values of this new show to form much of an opinion, and then we go back to watching the loving awesome show we tuned in for.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This show is being written just for me and they don't even know it. I enjoyed every episode and the references.

Apart from Aliens which had the strongest vibe due to the Paul Reiser, there definitely were some scenes from Jurassic Park in there. Or so I thought anyway. Especially towards the final episodes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh that was great. There were all many great little character moments and unexpectedly awesome interactions. The kids and Steve, Mike and Hopper, Nancy and Dustin, Eleven and Hopper, Bob Newby and heroism, etc. Love triangles were resolved without turning anyone into a douche bag, Steve still got to help out and be awesome. New characters took unexpected directions that I liked; new Doctor Guy turned out to be a decent dude doing the best he could, Max was awesome without feeling forced at all, Billy was a tool bag but I at least felt something for him with his lovely father. And they actually, legitimately got Justice For Barb. loving amazing.

Episode 7 was a weird spot but I didn't mind it, mostly because I knew it was coming and took a break before I watched it. I could see how it would annoy people who were determined to binge the whole thing in one sitting because it does kind of break up the flow of the action though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get why Billy exists. He's an extremely Stephen King character archetype. I just wish he was better integrated into the plot (which I imagine he will be in season 3 but I can't picture wanting to see him in a plotline that doesn't involve Steve or Max beating the poo poo out of him).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Copout, imo. The ending doesn't 'fall apart' because this hypothetical episode-7-less Eleven never got a 5-minute training scene. It was super easy to believe that Eleven could handle closing the rift, Ep. 7 or not. She's never been shown to have a hard limit as far as what she can do telekinetically, so it really doesn't matter whether she levels up before the big climax or not.

That the Duffers saw it so more pivotally than pretty much anyone else is super concerning w/r/t future seasons' quality, though. I originally hoped it was just regular ole' network interference, despite it being Netflix, but now it's clear that the Duffer brothers apparently think of things like expectations and power levels much differently than me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I liked it overall but I was rarely blown away as much as I was in parts of S1. Max in particular I got really excited about but then she... kinda doesn't do much? She drives her (step) brother's sweet car at the end I guess. Besides that, she mainly gives El something to be mad about in what was probably my least favourite plot point of the series. She should have been on-boarded way earlier -- maybe by accident by seeing Dart at the small-dog phase or something. She also should have had an actual scene with El. Thinking back on it, were all the substantive conversations between two female characters constrained to episode 7? On under-served-by-season-1 note I did like that they gave Lucas a little more to do and showed off his family (his sister is awesome and I loved the breakfast scene.)

Reiser was really vanilla -- I was expecting a scene where he reports to his supervisors and turns out to be actually evil but if there was one I somehow missed it. He's just a dude, and that doesn't fit in well the government paranoia / secret lab stuff that the series kind of swings on.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Season 2 was excellent all the way through.

Bob and Steve. :smith:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Vermain posted:

For me it was the terrible screenplay and unsubtle acting. Like each member of the gang getting their own cool description and having their own streetperson style. Thats how twelve year olds think but not a hardened burglary crew. Kali was pretty cool and I love her looks but the first season was very a very tightly scripted pastiche and they kinda dropped the ball. Mixing genres shouldn't be a problem for the Duffer bros.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why would you make me love the dork rear end step dad and then kill him you fucks

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Pomp posted:

why would you make me love the dork rear end step dad and then kill him you fucks

Brenner, Ben, Barb...:tinfoil: rip Billy next season.

Holy poo poo Benny!

What did I uncover?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Mooktastical posted:

Copout, imo. The ending doesn't 'fall apart' because this hypothetical episode-7-less Eleven never got a 5-minute training scene. It was super easy to believe that Eleven could handle closing the rift, Ep. 7 or not. She's never been shown to have a hard limit as far as what she can do telekinetically, so it really doesn't matter whether she levels up before the big climax or not.

That the Duffers saw it so more pivotally than pretty much anyone else is super concerning w/r/t future seasons' quality, though. I originally hoped it was just regular ole' network interference, despite it being Netflix, but now it's clear that the Duffer brothers apparently think of things like expectations and power levels much differently than me.

But you see she needed to understand that she had to use her *emotions* through a stupid and distracting series of mini-flashback cuts.

You remember those, right?

It was that one part of the first season where Joyce and Hopper visited Eleven's birth mother and was a weird stylistic choice that didn't work then either!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

Yeah that was brutal.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

"Sure is great Jonathan got accepted into NYU like he always wanted hope he's having fun in the Big Ci-oh no a demogriffon"

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Is it ever explained why nobody wore Halloween costumes to school?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was 100% convinced that Bob was going to end up being a big bad, planted to keep an eye on Joyce and Will. "No one is that perfect and dorky". Guess I was wrong. :(.

And I liked how season 1 definitely had an homage to The Mist and Silent Hill, and man this season the Demodogs were straight up the split head dogs from Silent Hill 3. :D

Edit - Also really glad that the breakout star of season 1 Steve's hair got an origin story.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

Is it ever explained why nobody wore Halloween costumes to school?
I'm not certain but I don't think we wore Halloween costumes to school in 8th grade.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not certain but I don't think we wore Halloween costumes to school in 8th grade.

You'd think if everyone wore costumes in 7th grade and they went to a school that also had 7th graders, some 7th graders would have them on. Still was hilarious though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Sucks to be a non-sexy nerd in this world eh? Barbra, Bob...

Fun show, but I get bored whenever generic military/soldier scientists are on screen. I get their overall mission "contain dat evil", but beyond that I wish they took a few minutes to better characterize those folks beyond set pieces. Look at Fargo! You can have your tropes and eat cake too.

Also Joyce comes back from watching her lover get EATEN ALIVE BY MONSTERS pretty darn quickly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Elentor posted:

I loved this season. I think I liked as much as S1. I even liked ep 7.

Honestly in the same boat. A lot of lovely hot takes In this thread from grumps but emotionally the season really stuck with me in a great way. Looking forward to a rewatch shortly.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i thought ep 7 was fine but i do think they could've compressed it and "giving info to the sleazy guy" into one episode and not lost anything

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
008 could've been entirely excised from the story and it would've been a greatly improved 8 episode season. The scene where Eleven needed to learn to "use her emotions!" could've just been that end scene in the descending elevator and we wouldn't need dumb flashbacks and oh look there's a character RIGHT THERE WITH HER who has seen her powers get stronger when she's emotional or upset and who shares an emotional arc with her hmm wow instantly better. Instead of that Hopper just shoots CGI dogs while Eleven remembers a bad episode that shouldn't exist.

Like seriously he's a parental figure who experienced her nearly capsize a house because she got mad when he told her to GROW UP and at the end they're in a scene where she has to grow up and use her powers/emotions in a focused effort and they're telling me they really really needed that extra episode and character to make this work?

c'mon.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 28, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The more people freak out about episode 7 and treat it as some abomination unto God instead of just a slightly weird detour, the more I like it retroactively. :v:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spergatory posted:

The more people freak out about episode 7 and treat it as some abomination unto God instead of just a slightly weird detour, the more I like it retroactively. :v:

Agreed. There’s a lot of people in this thread suggesting fixes that would,be far worse than what they actually did. :eng101:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you shouldn't skip episode 7 because it's a perfect example of how not to mix your genres and why screentests are a good for pulling your own writer head out of your own writer rear end

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
On the other hand episode 7 could generate 5, maybe 6 different Funko pops so I could see the argument for it being Very Cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Episode 7 owned.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Episode 7 was okay, but it pops up in the middle of 6, 8, and 9, which are A+, so it both messes with the pacing and looks worse in comparison. I liked 008 herself and her and El's rapport, but the rest of the gang felt half-baked. I was kinda hoping they'd all get killed off by the cops at the end, but maybe if next season better integrates them into the narrative they won't be so bad.

Also E's makeover was pretty bitchin'.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Having more time to think about this.

Episode ratings:

1 A+
2 A+
3 A+
4 A+
5 A+
6 C
7 F-
8 B
9 B

It feels like they could have combined 6-9 into a final A+ episode and ended it. With 7 cut entirely. It would have been as good as Season 1 easily.

That entire Chicago side trip with a bunch of really non-interesting people just ruined this so bad. I don't know how they could have shown this to people before it was released and say "yeah, this is good" instead of someone coming to them going "Holy poo poo is this episode bad. You NEED to cut that out entirely and redo the show somehow.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm really curious where they'll take things next season.

I do hope the van gang either don't show up or stay as a minor role. We don't want to overburden the show with superpowers.

Going by the very end scene it's obvious that, while the portal is closed, there's still some connection between our world/Hawkins and the Upside Down. The mindflayer is possibly still a threat.

It was able to latch onto Will somehow without him completely crossing over. It just had to be aware of him. Maybe next season's going Invasion of the Body Snatchers? It'd be a great way to deal with El/Jane's powers if most of her opponents are mind controlled innocents/friends.

• Locked thread