Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

Used Switch game carts are worthless because there is such a high probability that it was licked by whatever rear end owned it before you. There is no way Nintendo could have expected so many people to put game carts in their mouths.

Your tongue is probably cleaner than your hands, unless you just ate literal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is gorgeous. Nintendo has really made a dominant presence in a year chock full of great titles.

This, BOTW, Rabbids Kingdom Battle and FE:Warriors are all top tier releases and that's not counting the coming holiday batch of games, or little ones like Golf Story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Jorbs posted:

So I got home, cracked open Odyssey, licked the game cart, and it tasted loving awful. Like straight from China awful. Is that why it's a meme? Holy crap.

It's so the wee kiddies won't try eating them.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Future articles:

An Honest Review of Super Mario Odyssey

So Now That All The Hype Has Passed, Is Super Mario Odyssey Actually Worth Its Praise?

17 Paragraphs About How Peach Should Be Playable In Every Game Instead Of Just Some Mario Games

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Spellman posted:

Future articles:

So Now That All The Hype Has Passed, Is Super Mario Odyssey Actually Worth Its Praise?

17 Paragraphs About How Peach Should Be Playable In Every Game Instead Of Just Some Mario Games

This is annoyingly accurate.

I have been definitely enjoying Odyssey the little I've gotten to play it. It's not quite 7 hours straight binge like botw did to me but every time I pick it up I find something fun to do and it's awesome and God drat this game is gorgeous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario is good. I think the play control might be a step back from galaxy though, mario feels a little stiff/slow sometimes and i fond the motion even more intrusive. Otherwise good stuff

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven't played a 3D Mario game since Sunshine and man I got rusty.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I scanned my Diddy Kong amiibo so now I’m playing through SMO as a monkey

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I scanned my Diddy Kong amiibo so now I’m playing through SMO as a monkey

That's some bullshit considering that the BotW Link+Epona amiibo doesn't give anything. Not even his outfit. :sigh:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GreenNight posted:

This is also me. Playing with the joycons and the joycon battery pack is a very pro move.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Would it be a better idea to just go out and buy a switch now or wait until black friday for some kind of bundle deal? I'm guessing it'll be pretty hard to get hands on any hypothetical BF deal and even then, they don't need to offer any since the console is extra hot right now, so I should just give in and grab one now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redgubbinz posted:

Would it be a better idea to just go out and buy a switch now or wait until black friday for some kind of bundle deal? I'm guessing it'll be pretty hard to get hands on any hypothetical BF deal and even then, they don't need to offer any since the console is extra hot right now, so I should just give in and grab one now.

There won't be any deals. There is no reason to, they are selling like mad.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The only retailers that will probably get to do a bundle will be Costco or Sam's Club. Nobody is going to give up any margins for a hot seller like the switch.

If you see one get it even if it's a Splatoon bundle, get it. it's also a fun game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

You owe it to yourself to play Galaxy

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Welp that's all the encouragement I needed, time to impulse buy more consumer electronics!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's bizarre but basically Mario has the same dimensions of Diddy Kong

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just checking in to say that Odyssey is sick. Peace.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Spellman posted:

Future articles:

"Is Super Mario Odyssey Soulless?

And by that we mean does Mario literally takes the soul of whatever he possesses? Is Mario a demon? A Satanic Panic Article."

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's bizarre but basically Mario has the same dimensions of Diddy Kong

Mario Maker has taught us that all characters are roughly the same dimensions as Mario

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mario Odyssey is seriously great, and I'm glad I've got a bunch of games for the switch I want to jump around between now, my switch hasn't gotten this much use since the height of my Zelda fugue

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fiance is playing Odyssey right now and it looks and sounds amazing. Can judge the quality of the game by his default expression while playing it, which rotates from "determined to beat a tough area" to "Mona Lisa smile of what appears to be classic Nintendo-style joy."

On a different tack, how does the Switch port of Stardew Valley stack up to PC? Is it feature-complete as-is, or is it missing anything? The idea of playing that game on the go (or in bed) is worth buying it a second time, if the port is good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Switch good so what

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

the truth posted:

You owe it to yourself to play Galaxy

Sure as soon as Nintendo releases 1+2 HD bundle on Switch!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I play in handheld mode pretty much exclusively so I will not be getting Mario until the controls are fixed. This makes me sad.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

GreenNight posted:

Sure as soon as Nintendo releases 1+2 HD bundle on Switch!

preferably with modified motion controls

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Achmed Jones posted:

I play in handheld mode pretty much exclusively so I will not be getting Mario until the controls are fixed. This makes me sad.
The controls are fine.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've seen a few posts throughout the internet comparing SMO to Super Mario 64 in terms of enjoyment, and I was concerned the game would have some level of cheap nostalgia baiting or something, but it doesn't feel that away at all. It's just so impressive and the levels feel so free and expansive. It's like they captured that same magic but with all the knowhow and resources of today. I've put a few hours into the game now and I can tell if I go for 100% without looking things up it is going to take me a long time.

There's tons to praise, but I want to go out of my way to say that the best feature is actually that there is no fall damage in this game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Mario is good. I think the play control might be a step back from galaxy though, mario feels a little stiff/slow sometimes and i fond the motion even more intrusive. Otherwise good stuff

I agree on the stiffness, the way he turns feels kind of off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario odyssey 2 might nail it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Spellman posted:

Future articles:

I mean, Peach SHOULD be playable in all Mario games yeah

edit: also Rosalina

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Give Peach and Rosalina their own game.

Daisy can not be unlockable

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Agreed, hire the Senran Kagura guys to make it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Drone posted:

On a different tack, how does the Switch port of Stardew Valley stack up to PC? Is it feature-complete as-is, or is it missing anything? The idea of playing that game on the go (or in bed) is worth buying it a second time, if the port is good.

Only thing missing is mod support IIRC, everything in-game is consistent across releases.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Give Peach and Rosalina their own game.

Daisy can not be unlockable

We are now in a possible timeline where Pauline will get to be a Smash Brother before Daisy is.

We live in a cruel/just world.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blazing Zero posted:

just pop back into the ship and change
I'm real stupid but I can't figure out how to change outfits in the ship, only in shops, what's the way

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pauline should be given her own IP of city sim games. Alternatively, Streets of Rage but with Pauline instead of Mike Haggar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Agreed, hire the Senran Kagura guys to make it

Princess Peach's Beach Splash. :dance:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they already make a Peach game

e: oh yeah, it was pretty cool

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm real stupid but I can't figure out how to change outfits in the ship, only in shops, what's the way

there's a mario sized wardrobe right next to the mirror, press a on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pack it in other games, Odyssey is officially the greatest of all time

• Locked thread