Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
dictatorship with chinese characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Why is Trump such a gently caress-up? The leader of China is not a lowly king, he's a glorious emperor.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
homework explainer, prince of china

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

does china use a king

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

does china use a king

emperor is the title level above king and the holder receives corresponding bonuses to their prestige and piety
they should be insulted by such a comparison

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Calling it a remake is pretty insulting tbqh.

It's not, it doesn't have any connection, whether setting, character, or theme, to AC. It's just a SciFi Civ 5

the bitcoin of weed posted:

emperor is the title level above king and the holder receives corresponding bonuses to their prestige and piety
they should be insulted by such a comparison

It hasn't mattered since Victorian England, where being Queen outranked Empress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Calling it a remake is pretty insulting tbqh.

Pretty much this. I tried that abomination on the free weekend and uninstalled it within an hour

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kill Sid Meier and everyone in Firaxis involved in any game beyond Civ IV

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cerebral Bore posted:

Cyborgs can time their popbooms with Golden Ages are also going to get the Cloning Vats long before anybody else even gets close, so I don't see how that's an objection.

Also industry is literally the strongest bonus. Free Drones running Democratic/Planned/Wealth get 40% lower mineral costs as well as actual money. It's broken af.

communism/anarcho-syndicalism is objectively better so no its not broken af

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Top City Homo posted:

i'd agree in a normal civ game but eh

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tiny Bug Child posted:

idk about that. the aliens were broken but they were kind of meant to be. free drones are actually pretty mediocre, they just trade some research for industry. planet cult is terrible. the hackers are useless. pirates are def broken though cause they get to start in the ocean and settle everything before anyone else. and the cyborgs would be broken except they can't pop boom

yeah that's how it should be. somewhere along the line people started talking about "tall vs wide" like they should be two equally valid approaches to playing a 4x except that's stupid, more territory makes you more powerful

i didn't like civ5 cause it punished you so harshly for expanding and conquering when that's like 2 of the 4 X's. every game is build 4 cities and stop

more expansion is always good makes for bland game play style, also not all that realistic: plenty of empires in history fell because of overexpansion

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bip Roberts posted:

How bad is the alpha centauri remake (or the colonization remake at that)?

it's garbage

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
so I read some old forum posts, apparantly cybernetic consciousness is not great and the best factions are like the university, drones and sheng-ji because apparently any growth penalty is the worst thing ever

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Top City Homo posted:

:yeah:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

step to the Shi San Wu

Shi San Wu ain't nothing to gently caress with

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

more expansion is always good makes for bland game play style, also not all that realistic: plenty of empires in history fell because of overexpansion

Civ has been historically not good at depicting internal unrest. That's not really a dig at the game being "bad", just that poo poo is abstracted / gamified enough on Civ's end that it never really comes up besides managing happiness.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

If you want a semi-realistic historical game, play EU4, Civ is gamey and doesn't try to be real, that's a positive

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

If you want a semi-realistic historical game, play EU4, Civ is gamey and doesn't try to be real, that's a positive

I love paradox games even though they still suffer from blobing: it's way too easy to snowball to dominate everything by taking territory even though historically that didn't work out well most of the time

like one thing I noticed throughout most 4x games is 95% of the time expansion is optimal path

but last game I played as russia and had a revolution (1789 style) and turned into revolutionary russia and I spread the revolution throughout all of europe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Slippery Tilde
almost like one of the Xs is expand

therefore civ 5 is a 3X game

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
civ 5 4 city is just easier and takes less effort, the most powerful empire is still expand (into your neighbor lol)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

4x's are fundamentally war games. Half the gameplay is combat mechanics, and they're designed to make the tactics/strategy of combat as part of their appeal. The driver for conflict, is expansion. Without expansion, the game is just click best building->click next turn. It's the most boring poo poo.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The Civ 5/6 anti-expanion stuff is like playing mario kart, but constantly having blue shells getting launched. It turns it into garbage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

4x's are fundamentally war games. Half the gameplay is combat mechanics, and they're designed to make the tactics/strategy of combat as part of their appeal. The driver for conflict, is expansion. Without expansion, the game is just click best building->click next turn. It's the most boring poo poo.

My dad still plays Civ 4 with custom games starting at the WW2 tech level and plays it like a wargame, with naval blockades, grand amphibious assaults, aerial bombardment campaigns, and armored spearheads.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

preparing a nuclear first strike and amphibious & air assault on a civ on a different continent is always the most ive had with civ.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

otoh smac is the greatest game ever made and everything about it owns, except the UI. if someone were to just remake the UI and maybe upgrade the graphics a bit id cum a lot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
city-based unit support still kinda sucks

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that's probably just rose tinted glasses, SMAC had a lot of weird quirks

what makes smac special is the unique narrative/setting, because it does what so little of contemporary fantasy + sci/fi does, and focuses on political ideology

I can't think of another game that's so explicit about it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also it's got this grim-dark tone to the whole thing that never goes away

contrast that with BE, which not only had the mechnanical problems of Civ 5, but...it was just empty. it didn't have anything to say.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah personally I don't mind gameplay weirdness and quirks, I'm not much of a min maxer or anything, the atmosphere and setting matter a million times more to me.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

gradenko_2000 posted:

Clean reactors, my dude.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

from the mouths of babes

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

My dad still plays Civ 4 with custom games starting at the WW2 tech level and plays it like a wargame, with naval blockades, grand amphibious assaults, aerial bombardment campaigns, and armored spearheads.

seems like your dad should just play Hoi

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

otoh smac is the greatest game ever made and everything about it owns

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Concordat posted:

Clean reactors, my dude.

suboptimal. unacceptable.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol not playing as gaians and going mass mindworms while getting intimate with the gaian hippie girls

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Concordat posted:

Clean reactors, my dude.

inefficient and pointless by the time you get it

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gradenko_2000 posted:

just lol if u weren't running a billion supply crawlers asap

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Slippery Tilde
smac's ai completely ignores supply crawlers to the point that it breaks the game's challenge entirely if you use them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

smac's ai completely ignores supply crawlers to the point that it breaks the game's challenge entirely if you use them

using supply crawlers for anything other than wonder construction is cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i never used them because i didn't understand what they did as a kid