Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember when people though having your cell phone on would crash a passenger plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Grassy Knowles posted:

the first time you activate airplane mode in ios11, it turns everything off

anything you turn back on will stay on the next time you turn on airplane mode

state dependent memory

"whoa" --neo, the red pill forums

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

"whoa" --neo, the red pill forums

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

akadajet posted:

remember when people though having your cell phone on would crash a passenger plane?

they still make you turn it off during landing/takeoff (lol if anyone actually does turn it off and no one gives a poo poo to enforce it anyways)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Xaris posted:

they still make you turn it off during landing/takeoff (lol if anyone actually does turn it off and no one gives a poo poo to enforce it anyways)

no they don’t just airplane mode

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

bump_fn posted:

no they don’t just airplane mode

the only airline i flew on that outright made you turn everything off and didn’t let you listen to music during takeoff was KLM

god they suck

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
one lufthansa flight i was on made everyone switch on airplane mode and had an attendant go seat to seat making everyone show their phones lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mad Wack posted:

one lufthansa flight i was on made everyone switch on airplane mode and had an attendant go seat to seat making everyone show their phones lol
that seems weird. the past flew flights is half the cabin obv just texting or some poo poo (including myself) and crew didn't care.

but hey its a long step above a flight in the 90s where they'd have you turn off your walkman during takeoff because it will crash a plane, baby steps

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

slate 5 best lookin phone ever made
its called the murder edition but mega yes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if phones made planes crash they would be illegal on planes as terrorist weapons. also every single commercial flight would end in the death of everyone on board.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Mad Wack posted:

cosmic brain cause you cant turn it off after they look lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
what i've heard is that some older systems are (unnecessarily) sensitive to some of those bands, so it's not like turning on your ipod can just summarily make the plane drop out of the sky like wile e coyote, but each transmission adds a little noise to some comm channel, and with enough devices at once it can become unusable

i have no idea if that's actually true tho

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if I outlaw phone use during takeoff only criminals will use phones during takeoff :thunk:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

what i've heard is that some older systems are (unnecessarily) sensitive to some of those bands, so it's not like turning on your ipod can just summarily make the plane drop out of the sky like wile e coyote, but each transmission adds a little noise to some comm channel, and with enough devices at once it can become unusable

i have no idea if that's actually true tho

lol if you think emi can disrupt signals

*buys a 5k display that can't work if there's wifi*

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thats from all the ghosts talking backwards

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
dumb girl’s engineer dad has been fired. good job timb

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Athletic Footjob posted:

completely unnecessary and clownish imo

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

completely unnecessary and clownish imo

domt sign u’re posts

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

if phones made planes crash they would be illegal on planes as terrorist weapons. also every single commercial flight would end in the death of everyone on board.

the process of phasing it in was extremely FAA. Each airline had to submit their own 'plan', so a week after I had a JetBlue flight where they were totally cool with things, I took a Southwest flight to see my parents and they were straight-up yelling at people to turn off their iPhones YES YOU IN ROW 19 I CAN SEE YOUR HEADPHONES IN TURN YOUR IPAD OFF

also lol @ the fact that the only way it got changed was a NY Times article calling the FAA out on their bullshit who went 'buhhhhhhhhhh we'll get a committee together' despite years of people pointing out that their rules banning you using a Kindle during takeoff but being totally cool with using a 1970's electric shaver because EMI.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i deal with faa pretty frequently at work and they are incredibly conservative and reluctant to make even the most minor changes

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

i deal with faa pretty frequently at work and they are incredibly conservative and reluctant to make even the most minor changes

cant imagine why. sounds like we need some disruiption

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dislike button posted:

cant imagine why. sounds like we need some disruiption

way ahead of you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-27/best-buy-is-charging-an-extra-100-for-full-price-iphone-x

quote:

Best Buy Co., the retail giant and one of Apple Inc.’s most important sales channels, is charging consumers an extra $100 for the already pricey iPhone X.

Customers who on Friday began purchasing iPhone X models ahead of the Nov. 3 release date noticed that Best Buy is charging $1,099 for base model configurations and $1,249 for models with more storage. Apple’s comparable prices are $999 and $1,149. Best Buy confirmed that the higher pricing is intentional and defended the decision by saying the higher cost is due to the multiple iPhone X purchasing options available on its website.

“Our prices reflect the fact that no matter a customer’s desired plan or carrier, or whether a customer is on a business or personal plan, they are able to get a phone the way they want at Best Buy,” Danielle Schumann, a company spokeswoman, said in an email. “Our customers have told us they want this flexibility and sometimes that has a cost.”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

i, too, want the flexibility of paying best buy $100

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

also lol @ the fact that the only way it got changed was a NY Times article calling the FAA out on their bullshit who went 'buhhhhhhhhhh we'll get a committee together' despite years of people pointing out that their rules banning you using a Kindle during takeoff but being totally cool with using a 1970's electric shaver because EMI.

al qaida taking down a plane with a bunch of electric shavers would be p ironic tho

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's all about consumer choice, with the glory of the free market consumers are free to pay $50, $100, or even $500 over retail

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Athletic Footjob posted:

thatll teach her to show how excited she is about a public product which millions of people will have by this time next week in a viral video.

also i hope her dad has learned that he has caused great damage to the shareholders the companys trade secrets uhh some macrumors posters and never tries to bond with her daughter again

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Endless Mike posted:

if planes arent falling off the sky dont fix it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just got Apple’s flagship phone the iPhone 8 and you guys weren’t kidding with the frame drops in springboard, it’s weird

then it kinda fixes itself and it goes back to being smooth as an iPhone 7

I’ll be honest side by side with an iPhone 7 - not much difference in speed, but apparently this phone is as fast as a MacBook Pro?

Athletic Footjob posted:

that’s a shame, I thought Management’s theory of “just a stern talking to” was a likely outcome but nope, Apple still pretty anal about marketing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the only airline i flew on that outright made you turn everything off and didn’t let you listen to music during takeoff was KLM

god they suck

Mad Wack posted:

air baltic did this once in the last couple years to me. thankfully, riga-stockholm flight is like 40 minutes of air time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

try quickly typing 1+2+3 on ios11 stock calculator

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
try quickly doing anything on android

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Athletic Footjob posted:

try quickly doing anything on android

id throw it in the garbage pretty quickly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

try quickly typing 1+2+3 on ios11 stock calculator

[img-hello_welcome_to_last_week.jpg]

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Doc Block posted:

[img-hello_welcome_to_last_week.jpg]

it takes a little bit of time for stuff to filter down to us here in ee

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it takes a little bit of time for stuff to filter down to us here in ee

i just couldn't post here for a week bc sa is banned in russia and i was on a work trip in southeastern siberia

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i just couldn't post here for a week bc sa is banned in russia and i was on a work trip in southeastern siberia

the struggle is real

also i’m p sure although the awful app is completely nonfunctional the normal forums website worked alright

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the struggle is real

also i’m p sure although the awful app is completely nonfunctional the normal forums website worked alright

tried website once, didn't work too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
SA is banned in Russia? lmao wtf