Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

This show has the "ominous antagonist staring out the window" shot down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So... I'm starting to worry that Seth might be a cannibal too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is a good rear end show even if it has SyFy production values. I recommend the first season highly

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I liked when they were being chased through the school, they ran into a hallway that seemed to be from a Russia school and not the American school they were in. Kind of like how the Meta-Gamer Military Dude said to his wife that it was their house, but it was in the wrong place. So I guess the little pocket universe has chunks of locations from anyone who has been trapped there before.

That or the school had an incredibly robust Russian language program...

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Bit slow and less attention grabbing this week, though I did like the hose guys wife/memory cannibal.
Not interested in sexytimes relationship stuff, I want more creepy scares please.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Idk, I was quite spooked to find out that the dude she just boned is not the original dude anymore and that at some point he got snatched. But yeah, I kinda feel like the house just makes little pocket places according to whomever it draws in and that's why that one woman in the school was talking in a foreign language and it turned out the rest of the school was also from Russia; because the house made some little world that person could relate to.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

discworld is all I read posted:

Idk, I was quite spooked to find out that the dude she just boned is not the original dude anymore and that at some point he got snatched. But yeah, I kinda feel like the house just makes little pocket places according to whomever it draws in and that's why that one woman in the school was talking in a foreign language and it turned out the rest of the school was also from Russia; because the house made some little world that person could relate to.

With how the last episode ended, the scene with him coming across those people in that circular cage makes a lot more sense now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The nerdy kids doppelganger burning the corpse in the bbq pit was just really disturbing.

This truly is a disturbing reality. I completely missed the Russian thing, I'm not sure how I could.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really wasn't expecting them to get out of the house before the end of the series.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Well, sod this show. Everyone just stands around looking blank when they should be loving running or looking for weapons or just doing something. It's so bloody frustrating and now the only one with a lick of sense and determination dies a long drawn out death? Sod this with knobs on.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That was about the weakest episode so far.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
They are still in The House. When they were getting into their car, the vehicle across the street's license plate was that weird messed up font.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I really like the show, but at times Margot comes off as typical white horror movie protagonist. Jules has an excuse for her current behavior, but Margot seems to move so slowly and stares blankly at the horrors of the house. At a certain point, she should be more pissed than terrified at the house for trampling over the memories of her father. She leaves the group, can't take a blatant hint, lacks awareness for her surroundings and a lot more. Dude was pretty clear in his metaphor regarding the orchid mantis and the line "I wasn't expecting to like you so much". That being said, I also understand because she met him outside the house that she had zero reason to assume he was anything otherwise. Her accusation that he led them there was odd as well, considering that it was JD who recommended the house in the first place. I wonder what it means to be a cannibal that has escaped to the real world.

The mystery I'm really interested in, however, is Jules' terror. What is that egg-like thing that she's so attracted to? My first thought was that she had an abortion or miscarriage and that egg is a representation of her "grief" of losing a potential child. Is it some metaphorical phobia she possesses? I hope they answer this question by the end of the series. I don't think last season explained what the purpose of the teeth were. I guess it was referring to his extra tooth?

So, assuming they're still in the house, were the guys they met at the door new victims, a memory, or something worse?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whelp, that's a super depressing answer.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The dog seems like a weird pick for your next feast, seems like it wouldn't be that filling. I figured he'd take Jules since they'd just had their friendship breakthrough and then things would get real weird.

Bloated-face John Carroll Lynch is a great look, but no one's motivations made much sense in this episode. When they were debating what to do with him, I was baffled. Like, is he not killable by traditional means? Did they know that? Maybe the answer is no, since it seems like they tried and failed. The door scene was tense but for the love of god his eyes are swollen shut and his back is turned, just run for it!

That said, I am extremely excited for the blob that appeared in the teaser for the finale for a split second.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the reason it took the dog was because it was small. It's still trying to be a good father like Margot's real dad was so in its hosed up view taking a memory that's small like a dog Margot had for a short while is a being nice and a good father to her instead of taking the memory of her best friend

But yeah their sudden reluctance to try and kill it was super weird. Like you were just hanging out with a guy who torched one alive and was stabbing them left and right while still in the house. They even tricked it into falling into a bottomless pit at one point. I guess my only thought is maybe because they're in the real world now killing it would feel like killing a person or something

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 21, 2017

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Ah, the classic prestige TV surprise time hop. I am psyched about this version of Jules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So maybe, the house shouldn't have chosen Margot's cannibal after someone who already killed himself in order to make things better for her.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Gotta hand it to him, Seth has a type.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Things are happening on my television screen at this moment.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm very interested in how the next season looks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not bad, kinda slow at times but a good story about a daughter coping with her father's death.

It wasn't really scary besides the first episode though. Same thing sorta happened with the first season too. It's almost as if this show doesn't belong on SyFy in a good way but also a bad way cus I wanna get spooked!!

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Agreed, it was a good story and all but Candle Cove really delivered on the creature feature kinda stuff.

From reading Nick Antosca's AMA on Reddit, season 3 is slated for a spring 2018 release. If these become twice a year seasons, that'd be pretty swell.

Also found this trailer for the season 3 director's previous feature. She seems like a great fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPTfHlhR-0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of mixed feelings on the season as a whole. I thought the first two episodes were really strong but then 3-5 were kind of a lull.

It would be kind of funny if the house was trying to help people cope with their problems but everyone was just completely misinterpreting it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

muscles like this! posted:

It would be kind of funny if the house was trying to help people cope with their problems but everyone was just completely misinterpreting it.

It's almost as if Seth was right and that the house was a beautiful thing to be appreciated. It gets rid of some of your memories so you can move on. Even the Dad-Organism was benevolent and realized how he was hurting Margot instead of helping her by eating the good memories of him.

The theory woulda worked better if there wasn't that one blob thing that was trying to eat Margot's friend over and over.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

It would be funny if when the dad sank to the bottom of the pool his corpse popped out of the door in her room that led into the bottom of the pool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was a very quiet show, not a lot of scares, but drat, it was solid.

Have that said what season 3 is going to be based on?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Have that said what season 3 is going to be based on?

Season 3, Butcher's Block, is inspired by "Search and Rescue Woods"

Alice (played by Olivia Luccardi from It Follows) moves to a new city and learns about a series of disappearances that may be connected to a baffling rumor about mysterious staircases in the city’s worst neighborhoods. With help from her sister, they discover that something is preying on the city’s residents.

Cast includes Rutger Hauer, Holland Roden (Teen Wolf), Brandon Scott (Wreck It Ralph), and Krisha Fairchild

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
"Do you have stairs in your house?" Can be the shows tagline

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
(A week late)
Really good. A bit slow, but never as schlocky as AHS gets. At times I was screaming at my tv for characters being so stupid, but it honestly was a very good horror series.
I had to rewatch the first episode because I think I was always under the impression that Jules was the one in the very first scene, so I was wondering why military guy's wife was with that guy. There's still one mystery I really want to know and that is, What is Jules' memory monster!? "A psychological tumor" doesn't really satisfy me, but I guess I can accept it, since I have to.
As for Seth, he got his just desserts, but drat was his situation terrifying. He had 4 cannibals to deal with, although I'm not sure if that had any effect on his psychotic break.

Anyway, Channel Zero is good.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

I got the sense that Jules' memory monster is her repressed homosexual feelings towards Margot. All of Jules' interactions with the thing have her moving and breathing in a manner suggesting some manner of sexual sensuality (including the episode where they're all grouped up and ready to leave where the blob grabs her by force; though she's no longer enjoying the experience, she's still writhing and moving in a very suggestive manner), and in the final episode she turns her back on it and is ready to walk away until it explicitly calls out to her in Margot's voice.

All the other characters' memory monsters take on an appealing form (dead father, lost wife, cooler self, family you never had), but Jules' monster is an indistinct gray blob because she doesn't understand or acknowledge her feelings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

I got the sense that Jules' memory monster is her repressed homosexual feelings towards Margot. All of Jules' interactions with the thing have her moving and breathing in a manner suggesting some manner of sexual sensuality (including the episode where they're all grouped up and ready to leave where the blob grabs her by force; though she's no longer enjoying the experience, she's still writhing and moving in a very suggestive manner), and in the final episode she turns her back on it and is ready to walk away until it explicitly calls out to her in Margot's voice.

All the other characters' memory monsters take on an appealing form (dead father, lost wife, cooler self, family you never had), but Jules' monster is an indistinct gray blob because she doesn't understand or acknowledge her feelings.

Yeah, I was thinking this too.

There are other things that add to this -- the most obvious being the parallel between the husband who goes back for his wife in early episodes, and the way Jules goes back for Margot in the last one. Then there's the way that Jules is confused and nonplussed by her male friend hitting on her, the way the creature only really actively comes for her when Scott and Margot start hooking up, the way that Jules seems to really want to forget _something_ about Margot, and the bit in episode five when it seems like Jules is about to go in for a kiss. (It's about halfway through.) It also re contextualises the way she abandoned Margot at the start of the season, I think.

I'd have said something earlier, but SA tends to be a little resistant to queer readings of things. (e.g. Bates Motel, True Detective season 2)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 7, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

That makes a lot more sense than "weird amniotic sack abortion/miscarriage thing maybe?"

I was like "why is everyone else getting things they might actually want and Jules has a flesh balloon?" so having it be that way because Jules herself does not understand, and really the only thing it offers is the removal of memories (and as a result feelings) they don't want, seems to fit. Also, the weird "kind of enjoying" part is really off if it's supposed to be pregnancy related, other than maybe the making of them part.

Having been away from the show for a while, I really appreciate that they never really went into explaining what the House's goals are. Like they went into the mechanics of it: People go in, those who are tough enough get trapped, and then drained of memories. Theories were mentioned, but it's not like they ever definitely said "It is an Alien trying to understand people!!!" or "It's a manifestation of human kind's inability to feel!!!" or "It's just a nigh all powerful spatially phasing house that eats people, what are you gonna do, kill it?"

I do like the third option though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

JossiRossi posted:

People go in, those who are tough enough get trapped, and then drained of memories.

This is interesting. I'm not sure if it's mentioned in this thread, but there's one other mystery that I didn't see resolved(though I may have missed it)
In episode 1, room 2(?), there's a couple of side characters. When the house guy disappears, the man in the couple disappears in a trail of blood and the woman runs away. What ever happened to the man? Is he just straight up dead?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Really enjoy this show. Was there a thread for Candle Cove? I haven't been able to find one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

clown shoes posted:

Really enjoy this show. Was there a thread for Candle Cove? I haven't been able to find one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794885

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Latest season is pretty loving creepy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the first episode was pretty creepy (especially the Phantasm-esque monster people) but unlike Candle Cove and No End House I thought it was a little unfocused.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

muscles like this! posted:

I thought the first episode was pretty creepy (especially the Phantasm-esque monster people) but unlike Candle Cove and No End House I thought it was a little unfocused.

What aspects seemed unfocused to you? Everything made perfect narrative sense to me, so far. You've got the old lady who knows all about the mystery, a nosy social worker and a cop with a bad conscience (and a deaf dog). Additionally, there are both a missing girl and soon to be missing sister to give the protagonist the proper motivation. It was almost too streamlined. I kind of enjoy the meandering awkwardness of the first season.

Is it just me or have the production values gone up? That fleshy man and the creepy baby butcher were some Hannibal-style visual effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Man, that trepanning scene was pretty brutal and so was the Peach son going for a swim in that guy's guts, but it still felt a bit meandering overall (especially since this is only 6 episodes, right). But if anything, I do like the fact that normal people are seeing the weird poo poo the main characters see; like I assumed they would have had the guy chasing the homeless woman with the cattle prod thing be a hallucination or something. Nope, they slam into a cop car and he gets arrested. It makes me wonder if you could have a horror story in a destitute urban setting where supernatural things happen but the area has been mostly left to it's own devices and left to ruin, so the community just kinda goes along with the weird poo poo that happens there.

• Locked thread