Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's Honeylune Ridge: Escape. No fancy name. There's also a Japanese version!

This song reminds me of the kind of music you get in Persona 4 when you're kicking the poo poo out of a boss or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it right that the amiibo costumes are unlockable in game too? Are they scattered throughout or is it one of those "here's something you can spend coins on at the end of the game" thing?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Annath posted:

This song reminds me of the kind of music you get in Persona 4 when you're kicking the poo poo out of a boss or something.

Maybe spoiler that (???), but thats what I thought too :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Your Computer posted:

Is it right that the amiibo costumes are unlockable in game too? Are they scattered throughout or is it one of those "here's something you can spend coins on at the end of the game" thing?

Mostly the latter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Mario Maker costume being included is really nice but made me even more sad :(

I want a Switch version so bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally when’s the last time when a flagship Mario game and a flagship Sonic game came out in the same year and proved the old canard that Sonic loving suckkkkkkkkkssssssssssssssss

Sonic Mania is a good-rear end game though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Your Computer posted:

They're gated behind collecting X number of Moons, and then you have to buy them with coins. Using an amiibo bypasses both of those requirements and just gives you the outfit. So there's a big benefit to the amiibo scanning, but if you don't want to buy them you're not locked out of getting those outfits.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Internet Kraken posted:

The Mario Maker costume being included is really nice but made me even more sad :(

I want a Switch version so bad.

:agreed:

I want you to have a Mario Maker on Switch so bad.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

drat it I forgot to screenshot the Odyssey at 69 moons and overshot. I will regain my honour at 420.

Also I realised I was beating up enemies by doing wanker signs at them and that loving cracks me up. Was doing it inadvertently at first but then I noticed it and hello GOTY.

Also also I love that T. rex is opportunity, T. rex with hat is terrifying

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I just beat the game and revisited the Cap Kingdom to do some exploring. I visited the Cap store, but something seems....wrong. It asked me if I wanted to buy 1 moon or 10, and no matter how much money I pour into the store (nearly 2,500 coins at this point), I can't run the store out of moons.

What's going on here? If the store never runs out, doesn't this trivialize post-game moon collecting?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Unboxing Day posted:

I just beat the game and revisited the Cap Kingdom to do some exploring. I visited the Cap store, but something seems....wrong. It asked me if I wanted to buy 1 moon or 10, and no matter how much money I pour into the store (nearly 2,500 coins at this point), I can't run the store out of moons.

What's going on here? If the store never runs out, doesn't this trivialize post-game moon collecting?

You have to buy them.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Unboxing Day posted:

I'd guess that while they power up the odyssey for whatever postgame shenanigans there are they obviously don't count towards game completion.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

This game is real loving good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There were some purple coins on the "last" level that I couldn't figure out how to get. How do you get the ones on top of the pillars in the lava section with the dry bones paratroopas? Can't fly high enough and tank shots didn't destroy the pillars and the bullet bills were too far forward to go back.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh my god (New Donk City end spoilers) Pauline's dance moves when the background chorus starts going "Odyssey ya see" are her sprite animation from Donkey Kong :aaa:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Oh my god I just found (late-ish story?)the painting in Luncheon Kingdom to Yoshi's house and the Power Star

God dammit Nintendo you magnificent bastards

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not sure if this had been posted but the key to steering Bullet Bill is to push the left stick forward and steer from there.

Keep pressing forward.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Argue posted:

Oh my god (New Donk City end spoilers) Pauline's dance moves when the background chorus starts going "Odyssey ya see" are her sprite animation from Donkey Kong :aaa:

GOTY

this whole game is just unapologetically a big mario series love-in and it RULES

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The parrot just told me that one of the moons is named "Shopping in the Hat Kingdom". Does this mean I _have_ to purchase the moons sold at the shop? Or is this something else?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Argue posted:

The parrot just told me that one of the moons is named "Shopping in the Hat Kingdom". Does this mean I _have_ to purchase the moons sold at the shop? Or is this something else?
I believe the first moon per shop is an actual moon, named "Shopping in the ______ Kingdom".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe the first moon per shop is an actual moon, named "Shopping in the ______ Kingdom".

I have to buy moons now? I guess even nintendo couldn't stay away from this microtransaction bullshit :rolleyes:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I guess the extra moons are there so you can reach certain moon numbers without finding every "wild" moon. Like, I'm pretty sure I won't get some of those gold race moons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna print this out as alternative cover art.
*endgame spoiler*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Updated all the pictures!

Also beat the story. Great finale, great game, eager for all the post-game content.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

This is some of the best game music I’ve ever heard :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am just so excited to see how they implement this game's environments and musics and such into future Mario Karts and Smash Bros

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Broodal that drops bombs has an unbelievably good maniacal laugh. I love it so much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Do the Broodals have names or what

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Calaveron posted:

Topper, Harriet, Spewart, and Rango

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

Topper, Harriet, Spewart, and Rango

Where do their names ever come up, those are very good names

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Calaveron posted:

Where do their names ever come up, those are very good names

It gets mentioned somewhere in the mythical postgame land.
Specifically, in the travel brochure/map for the kingdom that unlocks when you hit 250 stars i mean moons

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how is somebody getting 11,000+ jumps from jump rope

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I haven't gone back to the last level/endboss area but I'm curious why was I collecting purple coins for that

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I haven't been following this thread at all for fear of spoilers, so it's likely this has already been found, but...

Go jump on the Odyssey's globe.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Luncheon Kingdom is probably my favorite "lava" level in any game. Its so silly but is really fun.

Cappy really adds to Mario's moveset in a cool way. I keep trying to get to moons using stupid mid-air jump tricks. When I actually pull it off it feels great. When I climbed the tower in New Donk City, I saw that rocket ship building way in the distance. My brother told me there was a pipe leading to it but instead I just did the chain jump from up high and barely made it.

Calaveron posted:

On this subject can anyone explain the name "Broodal" to me.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Internet Kraken posted:

On this subject can anyone explain the name "Broodal" to me.

Brood + Bridal I guess. It seems like they're the chain chomp one's kids, so they're a brood of wedding planners.

Edit: On another note entirely, (Postgame stuff) I'm really, really glad that all the Amiibo outfits become available as you get more moons. I've already bought Luigi's outfit and the Classic outfit. I wish Breath of the Wild had done something like that in the postgame.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 29, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

people who try to work bridal into the name are overthinking it, its just Brood and Brutal

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fortis posted:

Brood + Bridal I guess. It seems like they're the chain chomp one's kids, so they're a brood of wedding planners.

Edit: On another note entirely, (Postgame stuff) I'm really, really glad that all the Amiibo outfits become available as you get more moons. I've already bought Luigi's outfit and the Classic outfit. I wish Breath of the Wild had done something like that in the postgame.

I thought it was a play on brood and brutal

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Kelp Plankton posted:

people who try to work bridal into the name are overthinking it, its just Brood and Brutal

santanotreal posted:

I thought it was a play on brood and brutal

I just figured it was bridal because they're wedding planners but I guess it does sound like the word 'brutal' overall v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It can be a three way pun

• Locked thread