Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Serious post:
Does anyone know how the Monoprice Monolith AMT speakers stack up against Emotiv's Airmotiv?
I'm looking to throw some cheap but decent speakers together for a 5.1 in my living room.

I don't know if this should be more geared towards the HT thread, but I really just wanted to know about the ~sonic qualities~ of the two speakers and how they stack up so I figured this was a good place to start.

Didn't they discontinue the Airmotivs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Ieee1588 you numbnuts

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

If you're curious about those tweeters maybe check out Chane speakers, they're cheaper than those Monoprices and have an actual waveguide and stuff. AVS people go insane for them. I think the center channel is sold out for the moment, though [plus their logo looks like comic sans].

e: HTD Level Threes have a folded tweeter as well.

I've looked at the Chane before. I'm not sold on them but I'm not counting them out. While cheaper than the Monoprice speakers, they're still more expensive than the Airmotiv's and the center channel has been out of stock since forever.

Having an AMT tweeter isn't a necessity for the living room, I was just considering the monoprice speakers and wanted to see how they stack up to the Emotiva.

I've definitely got a heart-on for the Sierra 2's with that Raal Ribbon though. :swoon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's this new trend now of Chinese companies doing "clone" amplifiers of Krell, Lab Gruppen and other really expensive companies' stuff just copying the layouts and using similar components. Not sure if I'd want some 6000 watt monster lacking in any CE/UL certification in my living room.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

qirex posted:

There's this new trend now of Chinese companies doing "clone" amplifiers of Krell, Lab Gruppen and other really expensive companies' stuff just copying the layouts and using similar components. Not sure if I'd want some 6000 watt monster lacking in any CE/UL certification in my living room.

Given the size of those capacitors of unknown provenance, that has Injuries Not Compatible With Life written all over it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
They named it "Douk", what else do you need to know?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha ahhhh :smith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Panty Saluter posted:

They named it "Douk", what else do you need to know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpfQkVk-dto

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Left Eye and Right Eye?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

For what it's worth I know people who've picked up these copies, particularly the Lab Gruppen ones for use with large PA stacks and they're remarkably well made considering the price difference. They worked out roughly $5500 cheaper PER AMP which is mindblowing, the warranty was also a 3 year from the supplier which is a pretty crazy amount of cover considering how cheap they were (though whether the supplier is still about to honour that I have no clue).

Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone:

quote:

Max output power (all channels driven)

2 ohms 7000 W
4 ohms 4400 W
8 ohms 2350 W
16 ohms 1200 W

Max output power bridged

2 ohms Not recommended 1
4 ohms 14000 W
8 ohms 8800 W
16 ohms 4700 W

:eyepop:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The huge price difference is only shocking for people who don't know how cheap the component prices are at 1K+ quantities and sincerely believe the audiophile companies, the masters of weasel world marketing, are truly charitable who will not rip them off at the slightest opportunity. Granted I'm not a EE, but even then I'm confident that designing PCBs for amps are light years easier than what goes into a 2017 $50 Intel motherboard.

This reminds me of snobbish Youtube electronic reviewers resorting to racist scorning of Chinese made oscilloscopes that has 95% of the quality at 10% price of the branded version.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 22, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Vinyl Eyezz guy shows us where the true audiophile shops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGnNuQzSc4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palladium posted:

This reminds me of snobbish Youtube electronic reviewers resorting to racist scorning of Chinese made oscilloscopes that has 95% of the quality at 10% price of the branded version.

For some odd reason I'm imagining a very high-pitched annoying voice and a very big knife right now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Palladium posted:

He's not in like Flynn, is he?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:wtchris:

I can fully appreciate the need for a relatively high end soundbar market but this is just too crazy.

Highlights for me are the "full range" 2.25" drivers and that they're describing two 10" woofers with 600 watts RMS (total) behind them as "hell-shattering."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

I signed up to win one.

Me too. I'll put it in the living room and my wife can enjoy 11.2.4 sound while she's watching Beat Bobby Flay. I'll be in the basement with a real audio system.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
14kW wtf kind of home has 3 phase power coming in

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Malcolm XML posted:

the best home ever

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably 14kW PMPO, or whatever that hilariously skewed metric was called.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Malcolm XML posted:

If I remember right, the average home in North America has ~20-24 kilowatt total supply coming into the house and the minimum allowed connection from the utility into a home built in the past like 60 or 70 years has been ~10-12 kilowatts. So a normal person could have a 240 volt high-amp service provided using the +120 and -120 lines coming into the house as one does for heavy appliances, have a really massive breaker fitted for that circuit, and try not to use anything else major in the house and run a 14 kilowatt thing. No need for three phase power.

You would however be paying out the rear end for the properly licensed electricians, the materials, and the power company modifications to your service drop that would all be needed to have a legally allowed very high usage circuit built and run to such equipment. But then, dropping $100,000 on a 6 foot power cord is already nothing big to an audiophile, so it's easy to approve such spending!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
The FPB 600 can vaporize some of the smaller speaker cables if inadvertently short-circuited at the speaker end. I measured a huge peak current of >115A into 1 ohm and stopped there, though more might well be available. If you give up listening, you could always use the amplifier for welding!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/krell-full-power-balanced-600-power-amplifier-measurements

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

The FPB 600 can vaporize some of the smaller speaker cables if inadvertently short-circuited at the speaker end. I measured a huge peak current of >115A into 1 ohm and stopped there, though more might well be available. If you give up listening, you could always use the amplifier for welding!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/krell-full-power-balanced-600-power-amplifier-measurements

I love giant overbuilt audio amps. The stupider the better :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fishmech posted:

If I remember right, the average home in North America has ~20-24 kilowatt total supply coming into the house and the minimum allowed connection from the utility into a home built in the past like 60 or 70 years has been ~10-12 kilowatts. So a normal person could have a 240 volt high-amp service provided using the +120 and -120 lines coming into the house as one does for heavy appliances, have a really massive breaker fitted for that circuit, and try not to use anything else major in the house and run a 14 kilowatt thing. No need for three phase power.

You would however be paying out the rear end for the properly licensed electricians, the materials, and the power company modifications to your service drop that would all be needed to have a legally allowed very high usage circuit built and run to such equipment. But then, dropping $100,000 on a 6 foot power cord is already nothing big to an audiophile, so it's easy to approve such spending!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I forgot that I was asking about surround speakers and did a thing...

Oh well :haw:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

it's nice to know my impulsive audio purchasing habits don't run all that deep :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

drat, that's a good price [glances nervously at checking account].

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

drat, that's a good price [glances nervously at checking account].

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought new speakers a month ago, I can't bring myself to do it [plus I don't want my living room to look like that zeos guy's on youtube]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Is your current set broken?

No? Then don't buy a new one.

I really don't get how people buy new audio/visual systems more than once every 5-10 years.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Speleothing posted:

Is your current set broken?

No? Then don't buy a new one.

I really don't get how people buy new audio/visual systems more than once every 5-10 years.

you may be in the wrong thread

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

you may be in the wrong thread

:thunk:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

the only people who would participate in audiophile ridicule are usually in a little too deep themselves (e.g., this entire thread)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Panty Saluter posted:

the only people who would participate in audiophile ridicule are usually in a little too deep themselves (e.g., this entire thread)

Don't mistake the guy spending a grand on refurbished 5.25" speakers as a representative of this thread

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

metallicaeg posted:

Don't mistake the guy spending a grand on refurbished 5.25" speakers as a representative of this thread

your denial is unbecoming

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah, a grand is a bit much. Plus that money is much better spent on a set of Shure SE846 canal-phones.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, a grand is a bit much. Plus that money is much better spent on a set of Shure SE846 canal-phones.

You Shure about that?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Even 5 years seems too often, unless you were just upgrading one piece of your system.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you have an Audio-Technica A_____ the only money you need to spend is in fixing its cable once every 5 years.

Especially if you live in a country where the Koss PortaPro costs the equivalent of 200 US dollars after conversion.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 29, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I really want these but they look like dumb dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I really want these but they look like dumb dogshit.

:thunk: