Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Second Sun posted:

Just finished the last season of Halt and Catch Fire - was absolutely outstanding. The best finale to anything since Six Feet Under.

Yeah that was a really great final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Second Sun posted:

Just finished the last season of Halt and Catch Fire - was absolutely outstanding. The best finale to anything since Six Feet Under.

That’s some pretty high praise. I didn’t even know that the 4th season had started.

I finished watching Big Mouth. It wasn’t bad at all. A very interesting take on puberty and it’s pretty funny.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Big Mouth was great. The hormone monsters were hilarious, and the occasional 4th wall breaking was pretty well done. A very clever take on puberty for sure.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It blew my mind when I found out the main Hormone Monster was Kroll, not Diedrich Bader. I was absolutely loving positive it was Oswalds voice, but nope. Kroll can mimic him perfectly.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

It blew my mind when I found out the main Hormone Monster was Kroll, not Diedrich Bader. I was absolutely loving positive it was Oswalds voice, but nope. Kroll can mimic him perfectly.

And I thought the Hormone Monster sounded like Will Arnett! I also thought Fred Armisen was playing the coach, but that was Kroll again, and Armisen played the sensitive dad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Big Mouth felt like a show that was trying to hard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Second Sun posted:

Counterpoint: Spartacus.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im finishing Bosch S1 and I loving it. Excellent writing, compelling plot(s), great music and Titus is just amazing.

Best detective TV show Ive watched in a long time

Never read the books though, so I dont know how they compare

edit: took me a while to realize Titus was the smoke monster in Lost

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 23, 2017

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Second Sun posted:

It's not often that TV makes me tear up, but when that song from the Brothers in Arms album comes on I lost it

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm binging through Mr. Mercedes right now and it's great. Never thought I'd see a sex scene between Brendan Gleeson and Mary-Louise Parker but here we are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rocksicles posted:

Counterpoint: Spartacus.

Also moral Orel

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm re-watching season 2 of iZombie to refresh my memory before binging S3. It's really comfy and funny, and there's loads in there that seems to have totally escaped my memory since I saw it last year, indicative of possibly two things: there's lots packed in there to reward repeat viewing and/or I should smoke less weed. Highly recommend.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’ve been rewatching Parks and Recreation for the first time since it went off the air and I’m absolutely loving it. That show has infectious optimism and binging it for an hour or so a night has been my guiltiest pleasure lately. The writers do such a good job with character development and letting the setting act as a fully realized world. My only regrets are that 1) Pawnee Indiana isn’t real and 2) I can’t move there.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I’ve been rewatching Parks and Recreation for the first time since it went off the air and I’m absolutely loving it. That show has infectious optimism and binging it for an hour or so a night has been my guiltiest pleasure lately. The writers do such a good job with character development and letting the setting act as a fully realized world. My only regrets are that 1) Pawnee Indiana isn’t real and 2) I can’t move there.

I need to watch through Parks and Rec again. I had watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix and haven't watched 5-7 since they first aired. I remember thinking season 2-4 were gold but 5 and 6 were just kind of all over the place. 7 ended up being a very nice conclusion though.

I just finished watching The Office for the 2nd time, having binged the whole thing a few years ago. Many people say to stop watching after Michael leaves, and while you could without missing too much, I do think it's worth watching to the end. There are still many great moments. Season 8 is probably the worst season, very much due to loving Robert California. Season 9 has the dumb boom mic guy plot and Jim and Pam fighting, but this does set up a very fantastic final moment for them in the second to last episode. The final episode is pretty fantastic IMO and worth finishing the series for.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lamont posted:

It's not often that TV makes me tear up, but when that song from the Brothers in Arms album comes on I lost it

Is funny, all the time skips left me a bit iffy on the show. And the second they start being consistent and comfortable with all the relationships Gordon dies and I just loving bawled.

And having Joe go through his clothes was so devastating and well done.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Second Sun posted:

Is funny, all the time skips left me a bit iffy on the show.

I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to see if my memory is just poo poo, but the final season felt much better than I remember the rest of the show being. I thought some of the stuff with the daughters was a bit iffy, though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I need to watch through Parks and Rec again. I had watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix and haven't watched 5-7 since they first aired. I remember thinking season 2-4 were gold but 5 and 6 were just kind of all over the place. 7 ended up being a very nice conclusion though.

I just finished watching The Office for the 2nd time, having binged the whole thing a few years ago. Many people say to stop watching after Michael leaves, and while you could without missing too much, I do think it's worth watching to the end. There are still many great moments. Season 8 is probably the worst season, very much due to loving Robert California. Season 9 has the dumb boom mic guy plot and Jim and Pam fighting, but this does set up a very fantastic final moment for them in the second to last episode. The final episode is pretty fantastic IMO and worth finishing the series for.

I just finished watching The Office for the first time and agree for the most part except that I think you’re being a little harsh on Robert California. Pool Party was a decent episode.

I was more bothered by Andy’s wild tone shifts in the last two seasons than anything else.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I am working my way through HBOs catalog while I have HBO Now. Just started Girls. Not my usual cup of tea but it’s just so unlike anything else I’ve seen. I caught a few episodes in Season 5 just by not changing the channel when I was done watching something else and I was really intrigued by it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Andy's definitely the most troubling part of those later seasons but I never liked Michael very much so his absence wasn't as huge a hit to me. I also never got wound up about the "will Pam and Jim break up?" or "Jim did something lame, Pam hates him because he's pathetic!" stuff so that one time they actually had them have problems wasn't that big a deal to me.

I'm rewatching it now just kind of casually when I want something light. I usually have a sitcom in that slot and its Office's turn. I'm somewhere in Season 5, I think. Jim just proposed. I'm still enjoying it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Gold is a good breezy binge on Netflix. Really funny and snappy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Andy's definitely the most troubling part of those later seasons but I never liked Michael very much so his absence wasn't as huge a hit to me. I also never got wound up about the "will Pam and Jim break up?" or "Jim did something lame, Pam hates him because he's pathetic!" stuff so that one time they actually had them have problems wasn't that big a deal to me.

I'm rewatching it now just kind of casually when I want something light. I usually have a sitcom in that slot and its Office's turn. I'm somewhere in Season 5, I think. Jim just proposed. I'm still enjoying it.

Robert California and Andy basically became cartoon characters. Not as bad as Kevin and Erin, but pretty bad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

White Gold is a good breezy binge on Netflix. Really funny and snappy.

Have you ever watched The Inbetweeners? It's similar in tone/style to White Gold, created by the same guy and featuring two of the same actors.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Robert California and Andy basically became cartoon characters. Not as bad as Kevin and Erin, but pretty bad.

I mean, Kevin was always kind of a cartoon character and Erin mostly is from when when she shows up. So whatever. Andy's kind of annoying because his character changes entirely based on what they want hi to be and once Carrell leaves they so clearly lean too hard on him as his replacement. Robert California was amusing to be in moments and I don't really remember him being around long enough to really get annoying. But I'm not there yet so we'll see.

But like I said, I wasn't a Michael fan so the rub is always that even if California or Andy wear out their welcome half the time it tends to be the same basic format I adjusted to with Micheal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Have you ever watched The Inbetweeners? It's similar in tone/style to White Gold, created by the same guy and featuring two of the same actors.

Oh yeah I thought they seemed familiar. It's been a while but yeah I remember looking that. Didn't MTV try to do an adaptation of it?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

A few months back I stopped watching The 100 after 2 episodes, figuring the premise would be ruined with stereotypical CW teen drama I'd seen. Picked it back up after seeing a few posts in this thread suggesting otherwise and it got way better immediately after where I had left off.

Now I'm just starting Season 3 and is this turning into Skynet vs Skynet? I guess that's one way to ramp things up after last season :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

precision posted:

Oh yeah I thought they seemed familiar. It's been a while but yeah I remember looking that. Didn't MTV try to do an adaptation of it?

Maybe. But the UK The Inbetweeners is hilarious.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

FallenGod posted:

A few months back I stopped watching The 100 after 2 episodes, figuring the premise would be ruined with stereotypical CW teen drama I'd seen. Picked it back up after seeing a few posts in this thread suggesting otherwise and it got way better immediately after where I had left off.

Now I'm just starting Season 3 and is this turning into Skynet vs Skynet? I guess that's one way to ramp things up after last season :stare:

It's crazy how many times getting past the first 2 episodes into the 3rd has turned my friends around for this show. The 100 owns bones and I can't wait to see what Ghengis Clarke gets up to next season.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like I enjoyed the first episode of Big Mouth exactly as much as I didn't enjoy it. I got some good laughs out of it, but it also made me feel like the whole show's going to be the same jerkoff/cum jokes forever. I don't know whether that's true or not, but that's the general vibe it gave me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I remember distinctly thinking to myself that Andy had come along way in the episode where he got the tattoo. Then they pretty much just blew it up.

The Andy Erin romance was at times really sweet then they scrapped that for Jim 2.0?

Still The Office stuck the landing for the most part and the last few episodes were great and it had a good finale. It’s still one of my favorite comedies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Plop was awesome.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've just binged all of Stranger Things S2 and it maintained the same level of quality. Was possibly even better at times because the kids have matured as actors, and the lad who plays Will gets more camera time in this season and he is legit the most talented of them. (Seriously, that kid is going to have a massive career ahead of him).

Important PSA:

:siren: SKIP EPISODE 7 :siren:

Alright, I'm totally serious here. Right in the middle of a well-crafted, tense, intricately woven series, and at a cliffhanger moment, there exists an entire episode which does not advance the narrative at all, and feels like it came from an entirely different series. I did a search on social media to see if it was just me, and tons of people are equally wtf about this. It doesn't even take place in the same town as the rest of the series. And if you're wondering how the gently caress that works then let me just reiterate that it doesn't actually work.

I'm not saying don't watch it, just save it for the equivalent of a post-season DVD extra. Especially if you plan on binging this, as it totally threw me off and kinda soured the last two episodes for me. It's like watching a Marvel flick and someone pauses it to give you a lengthy explanation of some minor bullshit backstory. It's not even bad that it exists, but it is bad that it exists in this form and in this place. If you skip, you'll get a very little "...uh what happened there?" moment later on, which the post-season watch will go into for an hour. But this would be far, far, better I feel.

I'll spoiler what it is for anyone curious (and this is very mild stuff unrelated to the main narrative) it's a entire hour of Eleven meeting another "gifted" kid and hanging out with their gang in Chicago. It exists only to show that Eleven isn't totally ruthless (which we already know) and to show she's more powerful when she's angry (which we also already know) and that she can tap into that at will. A whole hour to justify a power upgrade.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 27, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eleven is the least interesting thing about last season and she's the least interesting thing in this one as well. At least last season she was sort of a McGuffin.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
In one of the trailers for this season, you could see a giant lovecraftian monster cloaked in shadows. Was that just window dressing or does that monster actually factor into this season? Mostly just curious, I'll start watching later tonight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's in it a lot.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just finished the second season of Stranger Things and on the advice on the goon above I saved episode 7 till the end. On one hand that episode totally stops all momentum of the main plot but on the other hand without it it sorta gives the climax a deus ex machina feel. It’s just awkwardly placed and I wish it was episode 4 or 5.

Regardless the second season still holds up to the first and is worth a watch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Episode 7 was terrible. You can cut it out 100% and not miss a beat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eleven's personal story is one of the things I really liked about this season and her entire relationship with ------Hopper------- was one of my highlights. Episode 7 is a bit of a pacing speedbump and I think it probably would have been better served to just deal it out through the previous episodes but I totally get why its in there before Episode 8 to sell Eleven's bad rear end return at the end of the episode. I get the fundamental problem they had juggling her side story and growth with the bigger story so I'm willing to overlook that small momentum break. It didn't take me out of the danger of the end of Ep6 and start of Ep8.

All and all I loved it. Highlights were Eleven and Hopper, Dustin and Steve, the very effective change in tone/monsters, and the fact that they made #JusticeForBarbara one of the driving points of the season. I'm sad its over and I have to wait another year.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I disagree about episode 7. It served as a tension breaker and made Eleven/Jane’s return that much more exciting.

The speed bump was necessary. Incorporating the storyline into the other episodes wouldn’t have had the same impact. If anything, the episode should have come earlier. If it was 6 instead of 7, I don’t think there would be as many complaints.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2017

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I just watched The Mist since it just popped up on Netflix and I loved the movie. I liked the show. Wasn't really feeling the characters but they did grow on me towards to the end. Most of them at least. Left it on a real cliffhanger and unfortunately the show was canceled :(

I think I'm going to watch the movie now, and then start on Stranger Things season 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Officially two people who liked The Mist. If your not already a minority, you sure are now.

I liked it enough to be bummed out it got canceled. Only thing it was lacking is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo