Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
yo gently caress this boss rush

it's not even really hard it's just that I make mistakes sometime in the first few fights and then the last one I get got mostly by floaty physics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn’t realise how badly you could clown on the girl Broodal until I watched a friend face her.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I didn’t realise how badly you could clown on the girl Broodal until I watched a friend face her.
Is there a trick beyond hat-tossing the first bombs back at her so you don't have to wait on the big ones?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a trick beyond hat-tossing the first bombs back at her so you don't have to wait on the big ones?

When she goes into her ufo to drop bombs you can smack them into her and end the phase real quick.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished up the main plot. Overall I can say Odyssey is my #2 game this year, only because I think Zelda had more of an impact on me. But drat, this is no question one of the best entries in this franchise. I wanna see how it looks after the new game glow wears off, but at the moment I'd put it on par with Mario 64. Odyssey gets creative in ways 64 doesn't touch and obviously handles way better. Also it has a really great camera in comparison. It's hard to beat Peach's castle as a hub world though.

Nintendo has had a loving unbelievable year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The New Donk City festival section is the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Commissar Ken posted:

This game is real loving good.

I took this exact same photo when I found Captain Toad, good to see great minds think alike

I’m definitely liking that I can’t find everything on the first go or even the second go; pushes you to finish the story so you can do all the exploration

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PantsBandit posted:

Nintendo has had a loving unbelievable year.

Just looking at how much they've turned around since Twenty-"Federation-Force-and-Amiibo-Festival"-loving-Sixteen is mind-blowing.

Seriously if you told any Nintendo fan in 2016 that in the space of one year Nintendo would suddenly have a hugely successful new console become the must-have item of the year; two GOAT-tier games in core series released to immense critical success; a slew of other great first-party games; a ton of indie and major 3rd-party support beginning to pour in; and the release of one of the best 2D Metroid games yet, plus the announcement of Prime 4...

It would sound like the biggest "yeah, right", eyeroll-worthy bullshit.

I can't wait to see what they do in 2018 :aaaaa:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish the Hat Kingdom and Lost Kingdoms were bigger because I really love their aesthetics.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't really pick out a favorite world in this game -- all of the levels are just so bursting with personality and they all have at least one thing I really like.

(Pretty big level and endgame level spoilers)

This is definitely my favorite take on a Bowser level they've done in some time, though the weird glitzy Vegas thing in 3D World was also fun. I can't wait to start combing that place over for moons, it feels very much like a Galaxy level, moreso than most other stages.

New Donk City is kind of the big and built up zone and maybe I'll love it more once I 100 percent it but it's not nearly as engaging as the Luncheon Kingdom or even the Snow Kingdom. Maybe a drab metropolitan aesthetic just doesn't really do it for me -- it feels more annoying to navigate as well. But it's got pretty much everything else going for it.

The Mushroom Kingdom I discovered as a nonchalant painting portal out of nowhere and I was pretty surprised to walk in on it, wonder when the hell I'm going there, and then getting sent straight to Bowser's stage instead. The Moon Kingdom is absolute aces -- to see a substantial callback to a gameboy Mario is always fun, and the series hasn't played with low gravity nearly enough. I am heartbroken that the Cloud and Ruin Kingdoms get such great "lore" to them but aren't actually full on levels.

My favorite Kingdom as of now is probably Lakeside. It's just the chillest, I can just go be a fish in a beautiful little watery pool with some fish ladies and a big ole cartoon dinosaur.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I want the Wooded Kingdom music on my ipod

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There were some purple coins on the "last" level that I couldn't figure out how to get. How do you get the ones on top of the pillars in the lava section with the dry bones paratroopas? Can't fly high enough and tank shots didn't destroy the pillars and the bullet bills were too far forward to go back.

In the second area of the stage when you're a lot higher up there's the Giant Bullet Bills, use one of them and accelerate like a mother fucker above those pillars and just drop on top of them to get the stuff. They fly a ton faster and there's also a Moon you can get this way too.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish the Hat Kingdom and Lost Kingdoms were bigger because I really love their aesthetics.

Same, I love how both of them look but it's such a shame they're so tiny. Not to mention one tugs heavy on my nostalgia.

So after getting to the Mushroom Kingdom and man... what a massive disappointment; all Moons are now Power Stars and make the same jingle as SM64, you have the SM64 castle theme inside the castle and towers and you have to even jump through the paintings and you're greeted with the jingle that plays when you select a star in SM64. Yoshi's on the loving castle and you get to play as him! I was legit choked up at this wonderful, HD love-letter to SM64 until it slowly dawned on me that most of what there is to do in this Kingdom are just harder versions of the boss and it's pretty lovely. Everything to make the 10 year old in me who grew-up on Super Mario 64 geek right the gently caress out and boom, a glorified boss rush that isn't all too great. I was hoping it was going to be a clusterfuck of classic side-scrolling levels, stages from 3D Marios reimagined and just a culmination of Mario's history. Oh well, maybe there's more in the level, I haven't continued mopping it up but I doubt there's much left.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can't really pick out a favorite world in this game -- all of the levels are just so bursting with personality and they all have at least one thing I really like.

New Donk City becomes amazing once you can reliably pull off complex jumps between rooftops. There's nothing more satisfying than successfully long jumping, hat throwing, diving, hat throwing again and diving again to clear a big gap.

Wooded Kingdom question: Can you get to the top of the tallest tower? Above the entrance to where the flower-stealing UFO boss was. I've tried getting there with an Uproot but no luck. And the flying lizard dude can't get that high.

Wooded Kingdom question 2: Is there any purpose to the coin-spitting frog thing you can capture in that meadow right near the tallest tower?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There were some purple coins on the "last" level that I couldn't figure out how to get. How do you get the ones on top of the pillars in the lava section with the dry bones paratroopas? Can't fly high enough and tank shots didn't destroy the pillars and the bullet bills were too far forward to go back.

The tank shots don't destroy the pillars, but they do collect the coins if you shoot at them.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

So after getting to the Mushroom Kingdom and man... what a massive disappointment

I think that's way too much to expect. If 25% of players even see the credits, what percentage of that is going to explore enough post-game content that it'd be worth remaking several whole legacy stages?

I think it's generous as is.
They could've just called it a day with the two extra moon areas.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

New Donk City becomes amazing once you can reliably pull off complex jumps between rooftops. There's nothing more satisfying than successfully long jumping, hat throwing, diving, hat throwing again and diving again to clear a big gap.

Wooded Kingdom question: Can you get to the top of the tallest tower? Above the entrance to where the flower-stealing UFO boss was. I've tried getting there with an Uproot but no luck. And the flying lizard dude can't get that high.

Wooded Kingdom question 2: Is there any purpose to the coin-spitting frog thing you can capture in that meadow right near the tallest tower?

To question 2 there's a rock he can break near the meadow that hides a heart I think and you can use him to break a block hiding a moon right near the odyssey. There's probably other ways to do it but that's how I managed it.

Also man, treasure made of coins in the Deep Forest is the silliest moon i've found so far. That's a really dumb way to get a collectible.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am definitely stealing this for phone wallpaper

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Might be a dumb question butbthe list of moons on the map is that everything you can get before beating the game? I’m trying to finish up Cap Kingdom but the hint toad and the parrot say the have no more hints to give but I’m missing like seven moons

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Might be a dumb question butbthe list of moons on the map is that everything you can get before beating the game? I’m trying to finish up Cap Kingdom but the hint toad and the parrot say the have no more hints to give but I’m missing like seven moons

there are some on that list that you cant get till postgame!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

every game needs a photo mode, honestly

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grabbed a couple of classy ones.

For some reason, the sharpening filter actually gave an edge bloom to the second one which wasn't there filter-less.

While I was there, I found out that if you put something dithered in front of the subject, outine goes to a kinda halftone, and you can get all sorts of cool gross junk patterns in the background (e: which I think was just the space skybox, if you were wondering.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 29, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

beat the game last night, I don't really have much desire to go back and get a billion more moons. I still had over 200 when I finished.

Lots of nostalgia and throw backs to the early games (and even some good SM64 ones) which was neat but holy poo poo there's just too much poo poo to collect. And I have no desire to go back to collect poo poo just to get more costumes. :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Larrymer posted:

Lots of nostalgia and throw backs to the early games (and even some good SM64 ones) which was neat but holy poo poo there's just too much poo poo to collect. And I have no desire to go back to collect poo poo just to get more costumes. :shrug:

"just to"

What if I told you it was the journey that mattered, not the destination :thunk:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Larrymer posted:

beat the game last night, I don't really have much desire to go back and get a billion more moons. I still had over 200 when I finished.

With 500 moons, you get the last area, which is worth it if you like challenging platforming and actually want to use Yoshi for something.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 29, 2017

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Having an amiibo of my girlfriend Pauline would be great.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

"just to"

What if I told you it was the journey that mattered, not the destination :thunk:

the journey was just ok

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Really? Didn't enjoy the game?

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
You might not like platformers anymore if you didn't think this was an incredible game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So I'm missing like 2-3 purple coins in several areas.

Is there any better way to find these than combing through literally everything again?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 29, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Twist And Pout! posted:

You might not like platformers anymore if you didn't think this was an incredible game.

That's probably closer to the mark. There were times where it made me smirk a bit with nostalgia, but at the same time I think I'm kind of over mario games. I haven't played the last few and was really on the fence about getting this one. To me it felt like SM64 with a gimmick mechanic that was often frustrating to use with the motion controls. Still, there were some cool ideas and I haven't even captured everything you could, not even close. Even after beating the game I don't know my way around the levels at all even though some were fun (just either very large or not memorable, not sure). I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.

I will probably forget about all of this when the next one comes out, because I am dumb. :v:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
(postgame bonus stage 2) Is there seriously no way to refill my health in/between fights at the dark side of the moon?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Andrast posted:

So I'm missing like 2-3 purple coins in several areas.

Is there any better way to find these than combing through literally everything again?

Any bowser amiibo will tell you where

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

Any bowser amiibo will tell you where

So the answer is no

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ymgve posted:

(postgame bonus stage 2) Is there seriously no way to refill my health in/between fights at the dark side of the moon?

Pro tip: Bonus Hearts can be carried between worlds...

Angry Grimace posted:

The New Donk City festival section is the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

Watch Pauline at the end; She has an entire dance number choreographed to the song :allears:. Not to mention you can replay it any time you want.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ymgve posted:

What the other guy said, you gotta buy a bonus heart beforehand. There's a single heart after the fourth fight but before the fifth that I hope you expected when you moused over this

Same stage question: There's a Cappyless level where you hit a switch and run over some road-pavement-tiled stuff on a timer. How am I supposed to move faster? I can't roll when I have to jump constantly, and long jumping isn't nearly fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Same stage question: There's a Cappyless level where you hit a switch and run over some road-pavement-tiled stuff on a timer. How am I supposed to move faster? I can't roll when I have to jump constantly, and long jumping isn't nearly fast enough.

A mix of Triple and Long jumps will get you through. That said, if you hit a ledge and climb up at any point instead of landing clean on a platform, you're done, just suicide and restart. Don't forget the second Moon on the collapsing path though.

• Locked thread