Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not going to watch that stream but I'm guessing that that station isn't actually properly orbiting the planet and if it were it would be perfectly safe to jump off it because you wouldn't fall down unless something slowed you down.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll be honest I don't know what a city planet looks like from orbit but to me that dude looks like he's at the right altitude for final descent into LAX

It looks like a lower altitude than the space station above Earth so I hope it's smaller or has a thinner atmosphere which would make it not so inhabitable in the first place, well have fun theory crafting this broken tech demo now.

Oh here's my tax:

https://youtu.be/XM8aBESf8EI

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/4kHst7y.gifv

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

At least the noose fashioned from his belt will be adjusted to exactly the right size.

I don't get it cause I'm dumb, but have a :five: anyway for humor that went over my head at breakneck speed.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

McGiggins posted:

I don't get it cause I'm dumb, but have a :five: anyway for humor that went over my head at breakneck speed.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

McGiggins posted:

Hang around more and you'll pick up on these inside jokes.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Nope. 85m/s is 510 Kph or 316 mph. Not that it matters - the Chevy exists.

Are you loving high?

85 meters/second x 60 seconds/minute= 5,100 meters /minute x 60 minutes/hour = 306,000 meters/hour = 306 km/h

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Probate everyone who uses miles imo

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

runsamok posted:

Are you loving high?

85 meters/second x 60 seconds/minute= 5,100 meters /minute x 60 minutes/hour = 306,000 meters/hour = 306 km/h

Heh, my motorbike has a higher top speed than an imaginary spaceship from the fairly distant imaginary future. :D When I come to eventually sell it on, I'll mention it in the ad to help it sell. :)

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

If chris fired everybody now and just kept pocketing all the money himself he could probably make it to citizencon of next year before the backers would ever know

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

BeefThief posted:

If chris fired everybody now and just kept pocketing all the money himself he could probably make it to citizencon of next year before the backers would ever know

He could even announce it; backers' intellect knows no bounds.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BeefThief posted:

How do we know this hasn't already happened? Don't we see the same 12 people in AtV every week?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

runsamok posted:

Are you loving high?

but how many coats per Miles?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

BeefThief posted:

They would still call him visionary and say it was a good move.
But they'd also be sad they'd have no more jpegs to buy.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Golli posted:

but how many coats per Miles?

:five:

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

eXXon posted:

I'm not going to watch that stream but I'm guessing that that station isn't actually properly orbiting the planet and if it were it would be perfectly safe to jump off it because you wouldn't fall down unless something slowed you down.

It looks like a lower altitude than the space station above Earth so I hope it's smaller or has a thinner atmosphere which would make it not so inhabitable in the first place, well have fun theory crafting this broken tech demo now.

:eng101:

When leaving the first planet, the player ship hyper-jumps to the station, hiding the distance. When the player later descends to Hurston, orbital altitude might be estimable from the jump gateway (which you can also presume would be in orbit, or at least in vacuum). Hurston is classified as a 'super-Earth' planet. People walk around on the surface unaided, so let's say it's as big as Earth.

So the player descends from the jump gateway to the surface. According to the HUD, the player's average speed is about ~500ish m/s (the normal ship speed seems to be around 300m/s, but the afterburner goes above 800m/s. The player afterburns most of the time). The average descent angle is about 30 degrees. Time to ground is about 100 seconds.

500m/s * 30 degrees * 100 seconds is about 20km gateway altitude. The re-entry heating effect appears at about 5km.

Not trying to criticize because, if you want to cap ship speeds at a reasonable dogfighting clip and have the ships descend to planets in real time, you pretty much have to make the planets small. It looked pretty good given the compromise.

Edit: As long as the orbital objects don't actually orbit. The orbital speed would have to be reconciled to surface speed as the player descends, while keeping ships near each other capped to their boilerplate HUD/dogfighting speeds. This would have to be done gradually to avoid an 8km/s jerk when the reference frame changes.

Edit2: Owned by Tooterfish

fritzgryphon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 29, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

happyhippy posted:

A more intelligent person than myself could take this pic, guessimate how high up they are from the travel upto the station, deduce the size of the planet, and from that calculate how many NPCs are walking around.

A few billion.
No need to guestimate, the station handily has a floating waypoint. It "orbits" at less than 25km.

Fidelity. LOL.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

tooterfish posted:

No need to guestimate, the station handily has a floating waypoint. It "orbits" at less than 25km.

Fidelity. LOL.

:eyepop:

"NASA's Aqua satellite, for example, orbits the Earth at about 705 kilometers up (low Earth orbit). Other weather satellites orbit around 36,000 kilometers from Earth's surface (high Earth Orbit)"

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 29, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

They would still call him visionary and say it was a good move.
But they'd also be sad they'd have no more jpegs to buy.

He’s furiously signing up for art classes and going to the artists and saying “okay, show me how to make spaceships. For reasons.”

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB Review posted:

Star Citizen Bundle

Even though gaming isn't the ideal workload for the Optane SSD 900P to show off its performance, Intel is marketing the 900P to gaming enthusiasts. They're bundling a code for the game Star Citizen with the 900P, and including a new in-game spaceship variant as an exclusive item for Optane SSD customers. Intel has partnered with Star Citizen developer Roberts Space Industries (RSI) to hold a launch event for the 900P at CitizenCon 2017 today, which they are streaming live on Twitch and YouTube. Attendees will have the chance to playtest the Intel-exclusive Sabre Raven ship, but it is still undergoing final QA and will not be immediately available to Optane SSD 900P customers. The web page for redeeming the Star Citizen game code had not gone live as of the time of writing, so I was unable to attempt any testing with the game. (ed: I remember when AMD was offering a Star Citizen bundle in 2014 as well. The game still hasn't shipped.)

At the media briefing for the 900P, an RSI representative said they are exploring ways to optimize the Star Citizen experience on Optane SSDs, but not many specifics were provided. One approach under consideration is using less compression for some game assets, freeing up CPU time but relying on high storage performance. It didn't sound like this work was close to release. In the game's current state, RSI claims they've seen load times improve by 20-25%, but they didn't specify what other storage device they were comparing against.

Emphasis in original: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/2

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Virtual Captain posted:

:eyepop:

"NASA's Aqua satellite, for example, orbits the Earth at about 705 kilometers up (low Earth orbit). Other weather satellites orbit around 36,000 kilometers from Earth's surface (high Earth Orbit)"

64-bit positioning! The most realistic space simulation ever made!

*flies ship at the speed of a public road legal 2017 sports coupe*
*reaches an orbital station that's at the same height as the Olympus Mons mountain on Mars*

Math checks out.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 29, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Wait what are you really going? Keep a phone with you to do live updates :v:

Yes and I indeed just returned from my trip there.

After catching up with the thread again I see some of the pictures I took did entertain the thread quite a bit :)

I'm sorry I can't update too much on my personal con of the citizens experience (which was fabulous) here without doxxing myself hardcore. I will say however that I disagree with beers assessment that cig calmed the woes of the citizens enough to keep it up for the foreseeable future, after watching the reactions of the people there. "where the gently caress is the gameplay" has been tossed around like a greeting sentence.

E: I wasn't the only goon there by the way

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 29, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Goonas, I’m 40 pages back and catching on on the CitizenCon news. Please refrain from posting until I’m caught up. I’ll let you know when it’s ok to resume. Maybe call your parents in the meantime. Or mine. They’re like super lonely all the time.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

OPTANE? more like RubTane.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Combat Theory posted:

I'm sorry I can't update too much on my personal con of the citizens experience (which was fabulous) here without doxxing myself hardcore.

You could paste Kayak's head over your own in your photos to avoid doxxing :D

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How the gently caress is taking off from a planet going to look like anything but total dog poo poo if all of the ship speeds are capped to less than half of the moon's escape velocity? Oh wait *disables gravity* problem solved.

Yes I know you don't have to actually reach the surface escape velocity if you accelerate indefinitely but it will be slow and kind of anticlimactic.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

thank you cig for confirming that star citizen has been in development for 5 years and is still just an alpha of a tech demo

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

tooterfish posted:

No need to guestimate

Fidelity. LOL.

There's never a reason to not guestimate.

P.S. if the center of Hurston is 2000km from your spaceship and the planet occupies 70 degrees of your field of view, the planet's diameter must be 2,800 km, which is 1/5 the radius diameter of earth!!1!

fritzgryphon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 29, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Have they explained how you can go from 0 to 0.2c in a matter of minutes without being reduced to a thin red paste running down the walls?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Fidelity. LOL.

We have been able to get planes to that height since the 50s.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Sydney from 25km altitude, with the distant horizon visible.

Passenger plane cruising altitude is around 11km.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

"A low Earth orbit (LEO) is an orbit around Earth with an altitude of 2,000 kilometres (1,200 mi) or less, and an orbital period of between about 84 and 127 minutes. Objects below approximately 160 kilometres (99 mi) will experience very rapid orbital decay and altitude loss due to atmospheric drag."

The ISS is at 400km altitude:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

tuo posted:

New Wolfenstein is cool and good!

Wolfenstein spoliers:

Not sure if every game that is complete just seems like a troll of Star Citizen, simply because they exist as a playable game. But the submarine from Wolfenstein with the depth charges and the cafeteria (cantina) combined with the dude ranting and raving about a working toilet sure does seem to showcase things that will never be in Star Citizen/SQ42.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fritzgryphon posted:

P.S. if the center of Hurston is 2000km from your spaceship and the planet occupies 70 degrees of your field of view, the planet's diameter radius must be 1,400 km, which is 1/5 the radius of earth!!1!

Thanks.

Earths Surface area is 510.1 million km²

So 1/5 is 102.02 million km²

Lets assume 1 NPCs every 100m²

So 102.02 million km² divided by 100m² = one trillion twenty billion two hundred million

So for the coruscant planet, there is at least one trillion twenty billion two hundred million NPCs.

So yeah, that poo poo is happening.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ash1138 posted:

thank you cig for confirming that star citizen has been in development for 5 years and is still just an alpha of a tech demo

This is another issue. We know the first couple years were a bit of a mulligan with making the company and expanding the scope. If we are being honest, its really 2-3 years of Dev for the game they are trying to create.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.

Lets assume 1 NPCs every 100m²

So 102.02 million km² divided by 100m² = one trillion twenty billion two hundred million

So for the coruscant planet, there is at least one trillion twenty billion two hundred million NPCs.

So yeah, that poo poo is happening.
They will need far less npcs to make it populated.

They will be spreadsheet npcs until a player comes within view, then they are spawned in. ITs really not this complicated.

Monkish At A Soot
Oct 29, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacetoaster posted:

Where was Seraph from?

I think he's from India originally.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.

Surface goes down by radius squared, so, 24.6M square km.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

I'm sorry I can't update too much on my personal con of the citizens experience (which was fabulous) here without doxxing myself hardcore. I will say however that I disagree with beers assessment that cig calmed the woes of the citizens enough to keep it up for the foreseeable future, after watching the reactions of the people there. "where the gently caress is the gameplay" has been tossed around like a greeting sentence.

So I wasn't imagining the audience boredom and restlessness, I don't know whether to be relieved or saddened. Did many wonder why they were being shown game tech that has been solved everywhere else on the planet 10 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Dirt Rally is spectacular and super fun and requires pure zen and skill. It also exists which is nice.