Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Andrast posted:

So the answer is no

Pay to win, typical Nintendo! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A neat detail that I noticed, the sound effect of those you-need-a-costume-to-open locks sounds exactly like the doobeedoo sound effect from the SMW overworld

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing that disappointed me in postgame; The paintings in Mushroom Kingdom do the classic "Pa-pa-pa pa-pa PA!" but no "Let's-a-go!" afterwards. Get it right, Nintendo, god! :rolleyes:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing that disappointed me in postgame; The paintings in Mushroom Kingdom do the classic "Pa-pa-pa pa-pa PA!" but no "Let's-a-go!" afterwards. Get it right, Nintendo, god! :rolleyes:
Have you died inside one yet? They nailed that at least.

(and thanks for the triple jump tip)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mario doesn’t do “oooomph!” when you get tossed out either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I did love though; I searched high and low looking for Yoshi before realizing he'd be on the roof of the castle like in SM64. And sure enough...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep wondering if the background of Cascade Kingdom is a reference to one of the waterfall backgrounds in Super Mario All-Stars' version of SMB.

The backgrounds have a lot of effort put into them in general.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch Pauline at the end; She has an entire dance number choreographed to the song :allears:.
Between Splatoon 2 Splatfests and this, Nintendo really seem to enjoy putting choreographed dance numbers in the background of their games.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 29, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In ten minutes, MiG's will come and bomb the hell out of this place.....

Jack, let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Moltrey posted:

In ten minutes, MiG's will come and bomb the hell out of this place.....

Jack, let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives!

Blade Runner 2064

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
just... just got the kingdom... the-the one after luncheon. :suspense: :suspense: :suspense:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Same stage question: There's a Cappyless level where you hit a switch and run over some road-pavement-tiled stuff on a timer. How am I supposed to move faster? I can't roll when I have to jump constantly, and long jumping isn't nearly fast enough.

The triple jump stuff has already been explained but this is the course that taught me how effective the roll out of ground pound maneuver (which I effectively refer to as the drop dash) is. You instantly hit top rolling speed so you can quickly unroll and be in Mario's airplane arms state where he'll hold momentum when triple jumping and diving. There's probably a less obscure way you can get enough speed, but the drop dash got me through that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dragon just stays there after you defeat it.

Its eyes wide open.

Staring.

Unblinking.

Forever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just played for a couple hours and holy poo poo this and BoTW make the Switch system of the year

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The dragon just stays there after you defeat it.

Its eyes wide open.

Staring.

Unblinking.

Forever.

I was very disappointed that I couldn't take control of it. It's not wearing a hat!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Frankston posted:

I was very disappointed that I couldn't take control of it. It's not wearing a hat!

You can’t control what’s dead.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can’t control what’s dead.

I don't think it's dead, it's eyes follow you.

Also you can capture a parabones and that's pretty dead!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Frankston posted:

I don't think it's dead, it's eyes follow you.

Also you can capture a parabones and that's pretty dead!

It's definitely not dead, you can literally talk to it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

How the gently caress are y'all finishing this game in one day

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Conserve, drink protein shakes, lock all the doors, turn off phone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The uh, “main game” is very short but it’s seriously more of a tutorial because the meat of the game is after the last boss

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I dunno how much you have to do to reach the credits, but I have not been doing much more than collecting the required moons to jump to the next zone, and I feel like I have gotten pretty far. I'm just trying to unlock a lot of worlds for now. Just interested in seeing them. Will go back and gently caress with them all extensively as I feel like it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why is there a giant JRPG boss dragon anyway

like has that been canon in any Mario game before, even SMRPG only had "Bahamutt" and the Paper Marios are obviously distinct universes

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
For anyone looking for a better way to do the Bullet Bill maze, just jump the wall and run to the end. :v: There's even a stack of coins up there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Calaveron posted:

The uh, “main game” is very short but it’s seriously more of a tutorial because the meat of the game is after the last boss

Ah ok. Like I mentioned I've only played for a couple hours so seeing everyone talking about "well at the end of the game" made me wonder if I was going to be going back to BoTW after this weekend.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Like has been the case since Mario 64 to beat the story is easy and designed so children can do it. The challenge is after the story where the harder shines/stars/moons/extra worlds come in where Mario demands his pound of flesh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I did realize the thing about the eyes or that you could talk to it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Game is awesome. I didn't think Super Mario Odyssey would scratch my Paper Mario: A Thousand Year Door itch, but goddamn. There are so much charm, wonderment and character, and it didn't need to have a lot of dialog to achieve it!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Whoa. The Game Boy filter actually working! That really looks like an isometric
2d game.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wish Peach would marry Mario

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the button combo to do the "jump to your hat after you've thrown it in midair" thing? The Master Cup racer in Cascade is using it to get up a steep cliff and it looks awesome but I've only ever done it by accident.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the button combo to do the "jump to your hat after you've thrown it in midair" thing? The Master Cup racer in Cascade is using it to get up a steep cliff and it looks awesome but I've only ever done it by accident.

When throwing your hat hold Y instead of letting go, and then press B to jump on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hold Y to keep your hat out and then do a dive (ZL+X) into it and you'll jump off of it, you're free to do anything after.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You don't need to hold Y or use X at all.

Try this:
Jump, press Y to throw cap, quickly hold ZL then press Y again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, my first day with the game I kept screwing it up by thinking I had to use a different button or something, but just toss your cap then do the dive with the same button. You might have to hold the button after diving to keep the cap out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Boos...

are real?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Frankston posted:

Boos...

are real?

:eyepop:

looks like swamp gas to me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So in a lot of these jump clips of people getting high up in poo poo, they do, ya know, combos of jumps. What jumps are they doing?

I’ve essentially “perfected” the jump, throw hat, glide into thrown hat to jump.

If there was a wall to climb for example, would it be jump off wall, throw hat, glide to hat while swinging Joy con backwards to slide on the wall, then repeat until I reach the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I'm stopping at 502 moons to take a break

Nothing prepared me for how much I would enjoy this game

• Locked thread