Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IIRC werewolves don't regenerate if you poison them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah the wulf in the cavern under the cabin who appears with several normal wolves, and heals during/after a plot cutscene was an early oh gently caress off moment in my W3 career.

Did a runner, came back a few levels later and puréed him :madmax:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Witcher 3 is in that really terrible spot where level matters a poo poo ton when fighting stuff stronger than you, but the rewards scale to your level, meaning you get lovely stuff for being smart.

It's dumb.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm a massive witcher 3 fan, but yeah, the loot is easily the worst thought out part of the game. Ramdom stuff is almost 99% complete junk, just because crafted Witcher gear is vastly better easy to get. As a rseult all rare loot is immediately sold or chopped in to crafting materials.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

The Witcher 3 is in that really terrible spot where level matters a poo poo ton when fighting stuff stronger than you, but the rewards scale to your level, meaning you get lovely stuff for being smart.

It's dumb.

First time I really came up against this was when I beat some dragon like creature flying over a battlefield that was level 30 while I was still in the teens. I felt drat good for pulling it off (it took for-e-ver), but my reward outside of that satisfaction was level 16 garbage.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

I'm a massive witcher 3 fan, but yeah, the loot is easily the worst thought out part of the game. Ramdom stuff is almost 99% complete junk, just because crafted Witcher gear is vastly better easy to get. As a rseult all rare loot is immediately sold or chopped in to crafting materials.

This was one of my big complaints about Witcher 3. It's my favorite game, hands down, but they put in all of these awesome looking armors and weapons that are all but useless because they're so much weaker than crafted Witcher sets.

I haven't found a game that can strike a balance between "crafting is worth the time and in game resources put into it" and "crafting is powerful enough to make found gear useless." The only games that come close are the latest Tomb Raider games, of all things. In those, crafting is limited to upgrades to weapons and equipment and on the fly grenades, both of which are useful without being wholly necessary.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Futuresight posted:

Finished Witcher 2. It's... alright. But very much in spite of the combat which is pretty terrible. The story is pretty decent for a fantasy game story, though it does some stupid things in the course of telling it. It's really the interacting with characters that carries it.

I started Witcher 3 and Geralt moves in a very annoying way and the combat is like, just barely better than 2 but improved immensely by not being quite so hard early on. Oh. And they added durability. I'm already mad at how my silver sword has already gone red on my hud. gently caress off forever durability. They changed a bunch of little things I hated in 2 and then added in durability. I really don't see why devs continue to do this poo poo. Durability is not fun and has never been fun and has dragged down way too many games.

After I finished the first one I was thinking of restarting and doing a new clean playthrough,gave up after 10 minutes cause I realised I just loving hated it lol.
Sounds like I did the right thing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

I liked durability in Fallout 3 cause all the poo poo you're using is centuries old (in one specific case, 400 years old), and also it wasn't difficult to find more repair stuff just by playing the game, but yeah, usually it's just bullshit.

I missed the durability mechanic in Fallout 4. Seemed especially odd not to have it on the pipe guns that were literally made out of junk.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow of War spoiler for the subplot kicked off by defending your first captured stronghold:

The subplot where Brûz breaks free of the mind control and betrays you and everyone starts freaking out that it’s even possible to do that and it’s portrayed as this huge event with enormous implications for your army is kind of robbed of a lot of gravitas by the fact that some random jackass I recruited in my army did it like 10 hours earlier and nobody seemed to care then.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Divinity: original sin 2

"Careful, I've spotted a trap!"
..."and now I will dive into it face first!"

"Oh, I've spotted something!"
..."but the camera angle was wrong so you don't see it!"

On the latter one, this might be a dumb-as-hell question but is there any way to highlight stuff that you can interact with like there is with the stuff that you can pick up? I've had a few nostalgic sessions of "find the hotspot" like you had in the nineties looking for that lever / pressure plate / rubber chicken with pulley.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Still enjoying Yakuza but god that first subplot with the crossdressing assassin has aged poorly, with Kazuma making a point of saying "I think it's after me..." It's clearly a guy in drag, you could have just said "him" dude. It's not like he's shown to identify as a woman. It's just unnecessary and kind of a gross way to phrase it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Still enjoying Yakuza but god that first subplot with the crossdressing assassin has aged poorly, with Kazuma making a point of saying "I think it's after me..." It's clearly a guy in drag, you could have just said "him" dude. It's not like he's shown to identify as a woman. It's just unnecessary and kind of a gross way to phrase it.

Judging characters in the past by modern moral standards is a sure ticket to being unhappy with everything that wasn't written eighteen hours ago.

Good people have existed forever but they didn't always necessarily have the thoughts and ideas that took thousands of years of civilization and medicine to normalize.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Pastry of the Year posted:

Judging characters in the past by modern moral standards is a sure ticket to being unhappy with everything that wasn't written eighteen hours ago.

Good people have existed forever but they didn't always necessarily have the thoughts and ideas that took thousands of years of civilization and medicine to normalize.

Dude, the first Yakuza game came out in 2005, not the 1830s. Referring to LGBT people as “it” was not cool in 05 either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Exactly, and don't get me wrong I still enjoy Kazuma as a character, that was just uncharacteristically nasty of a guy who has been more... patient than I expected him to be. Also that fight with the warp-dodging knife dude in the batting cage was really annoying.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Dude, the first Yakuza game came out in 2005, not the 1830s. Referring to LGBT people as “it” was not cool in 05 either.

It wasn't "cool," fine, I'll grant you that. But the standards for what's acceptable have changed a lot even in the relatively short time since that game has come out. I'm given to understand that the protagonist of the Yakuza games is, despite his proclivity for breaking men in about a thousand inventive ways, a pretty accepting and kind person - so I'm also willing to accept that his use of what is now a radioactively unkind word for that person was more like "I am from 2005."

Also, there's the fact that this cross-dresser was, I take it from BE's post, trying to kill him. That doesn't tend to engender (har har) a lot of good will.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are crossdressers LGBT?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Are crossdressers LGBT?

Correlation, not causation. The clothes you wear obviously don't affect your sexual preferences, but LGBT people are far more likely to crossdress.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
There's also the fact that Yakuza is a translated game, and the issue may also have arisen from bias or ignorance on the translator's part. I do not know the original text of the scene (and there easily could have been poo poo-talking there too), but in japanese it is a lot easier to refer to someone in gender-neutral terms than it is in english. On the other hand, Japan's LGBT community is relatively smaller than the US's, with an increase in activity only in very recent years. The word "okama" (effeminate male/transvestite) still often gets used indiscriminately as a slur against crossdressers and trans women alike. Because of a lack of awareness, that could have been part of the original script for a game from 12 years ago.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Byzantine posted:

Are crossdressers LGBT?

yes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The SNES Classic is a wonderful piece of hardware but the lack of built-in documentation feels like a huge oversight considering the SNES was still well within the time period where reading manuals was expected. All you get is a QR code to scan with your phone to pull up their website, there's not even a simple illustration showing what buttons do what for each game on the menu. And it's not even a technical limitation since they were able to program in a document reader for the phonebook-sized open source software license agreenent tucked away in one of the menus.

Also them making the SNES controllers use their proprietary plug instead of USB seems kind of petty, anyone with an ounce of tech savvy has been able to run SNES games on a toaster for over a decade and there are already 3rd party USB adapters so it's not like making it easier to plug your SNES controllers into a PC would be doing any harm and it would add that much more value if you were getting two functional retro gamepads to use as you wish.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Total Warhammer desperately needs a "gently caress off with trying to get me to go to war with someone literally on the exact opposite corner of the map" button so allies stop loving harassing me to fight people nowhere near any of us. One faction on their turn can request peace and I'll accept and I literally wont get my turn before allies come crying to me to declare war on them again. Why are YOU guys even at war with them!? It'll take you like 30 turns to lumber your loving armies over there!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The life tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage in Megaman X requiring you to replay the level with Boomer Kuwanger's boomerang weapon after beating him is a huge middle finger since it's the one item that makes you replay a level no matter what regardless of how you play through it. Also it's the one time they re-use an item collection gimmick since you use that same weapon to collect an E-tank in Spark Mandrill's stage.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
on a similar note, running through levels repeatedly on gunvolt 1/2 and mighty gunvolt burst is not anywhere near as fun as inticreates thinks it is

It took me a while to finger why these games haven't clicked for me and it is absolutely the horrible horrible pacing that happens when you "force" players to replay stages in short 2D games that contain 12-16 stages max

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

on a similar note, running through levels repeatedly on gunvolt 1/2 and mighty gunvolt burst is not anywhere near as fun as inticreates thinks it is

It took me a while to finger why these games haven't clicked for me and it is absolutely the horrible horrible pacing that happens when you "force" players to replay stages in short 2D games that contain 12-16 stages max

I still don't get why the last Shantae game decided to go with this instead of the open metroidvania world they used in every other game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The life tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage in Megaman X requiring you to replay the level with Boomer Kuwanger's boomerang weapon after beating him is a huge middle finger since it's the one item that makes you replay a level no matter what regardless of how you play through it. Also it's the one time they re-use an item collection gimmick since you use that same weapon to collect an E-tank in Spark Mandrill's stage.

if it's the one i'm thinking of you can do some tricky walljump shenanigans to get it w/o the boomerang

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Guy Mann posted:

Imagine reading this post if you've never played a video game

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Guy Mann posted:

It's possible to get that using Shotgun Ice's charge shot that creates a platform. It's also possible to get it with a pixel-perfect walljump, but you're clearly intended to use a weapon to reach it.

I do hate the heart tank in Chill Penguin's stage that requires Flame Wave though. It means a repeat since there's a mutually-locked heart tank in Flame Mammoth that requires Chill Penguin defeated. Chill Penguin takes the blame here because he also has the boots so you will always do him first.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
boomer kuwanger and spark mandrill are ridiculous in any context and probably contribute to 75% of the ridiculous factor in that passage, tbf

man, mmx was so good

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tardcore posted:

Imagine reading this post if you've never played a video game

I've played lots of them and don't understand it at all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
how the gently caress have you not played mega man x

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

boomer kuwanger and spark mandrill are ridiculous in any context and probably contribute to 75% of the ridiculous factor in that passage, tbf

man, mmx was so good

I still don't get why Kuwanger was the one Maverick whose name they didn't translate. Would Boomer Beetle have really been so bad?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Mann posted:

I still don't get why Kuwanger was the one Maverick whose name they didn't translate. Would Boomer Beetle have really been so bad?

Holy gently caress that’s what he was supposed to be?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never understood why in Mega Man X you don't get option to quit a level until you've already beaten it.

The remake fixed the Boomer Kuwanger issue by calling him Boomerang Kuwanger

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Oct 29, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Wolfenstein 2 is a ton of over-the-top fun but I'm going to nitpick it:

- It takes absolute ages to switch between guns. I ended up using the boring assault rifle most of the time because it's decent in all situations; I would've loved to switch to the dual-wielded automatic shotguns to rip up a bunch of dudes at close range, but just switching to them would take twice as long as killing the whole room full of guys with the assault rifle, so it almost never happened.

- The game needs to be better about communicating that I'm taking damage or something, because most of my deaths were sudden and unexpected when I thought that I had plenty of health and armor. There's a screen effect when you're under, like, 20 health, but you can go from 50 health to dead in a fraction of a second so that's not helping much.

- The melee takedown is awful because the animation is really long and you're not at all invulnerable during it, so if there are any other enemies in sight then they'll probably shoot you to death before it finishes. The sprint tackle attack you can get partway through is also weirdly terrible because it doesn't even kill enemies in one hit, in a game where everything dies almost instantly to gunfire, and that's when it even works - sometimes I would just sprint up to the enemy and then stop directly in front of them while they shoot me in the face.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Triarii posted:

The sprint tackle attack you can get partway through is also weirdly terrible because it doesn't even kill enemies in one hit, in a game where everything dies almost instantly to gunfire, and that's when it even works - sometimes I would just sprint up to the enemy and then stop directly in front of them while they shoot me in the face.

This was one of the problems I had with Mirror's Edge.. When I picked it up I had just played a whole bunch of FEAR, so when I closed to an enemy, I would go for a jump kick expecting a free kill, except most of the time the enemies would just no-sell it and I'd kind of be awkwardly standing there while they beat me to death (or I kicked them in the balls, which was a much more effective move.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I may be a scrub using the 3ds restore feature, but there's no way I'm getting the X Buster upgrade the hard way.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Oh, another little Wolf2 annoyance: The heavy weapons that the big armored guys drop are kind of bad, and I kept accidentally picking them up when trying to loot all their armor pieces (sometimes getting me killed because carrying them slows you down and they take a long time to pick up and drop). Like one is a laser cannon that kills things plenty quick but takes like two seconds to spin up before firing, which is several times longer than it would take to kill enemies with a regular gun, barring big things with lots of health.

In general it seems like there are a lot of bits of the game that someone designed in a vacuum, without communicating with the rest of the team to make sure it would fit. Like there's a weapon upgrade that lets you hold the trigger to slowly charge up a burst of five shots...for a gun that normally fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Are we talking Maverick Hunter X? Because that game became irredeemable the moment they moved the leg armor that gives you the dash out of Chill Penguin's stage and loving hid it. Even by X2 for the snes they realized you should have a dash from the beginning.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Triarii posted:

Oh, another little Wolf2 annoyance: The heavy weapons that the big armored guys drop are kind of bad, and I kept accidentally picking them up when trying to loot all their armor pieces (sometimes getting me killed because carrying them slows you down and they take a long time to pick up and drop). Like one is a laser cannon that kills things plenty quick but takes like two seconds to spin up before firing, which is several times longer than it would take to kill enemies with a regular gun, barring big things with lots of health.

Hold right click to keep the laser charged between shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress that’s what he was supposed to be?

Japan really likes their stag beetles.