Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
John Paxson and Gar Forman were in charge of chartering the team plane and hiring 2 pilots. Unfortunately, it turned out about as well as everything else they touched and all 15 Bulls players are lost on some Island somewhere and the NBA has to initiate the NBA Disaster Draft:

Wikipedia

quote:

National Basketball Association
The National Basketball Association (NBA) contingency plan activates if five or more players on a team "die or are dismembered". A special "disaster draft" would be held in which other NBA teams could only protect five players, so that quality sixth men would be available. No more than one player would be drafted from a team.

The team drafted would probably still have to stay under the salary cap: $99,093,000
They can also sign any currently unsigned free agents.

Who does every team protect?
Who do the Bulls take?
Are the Disaster Bulls better than the real ones? (Yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Athanatos posted:

John Paxson and Gar Forman were in charge of chartering the team plane and hiring 2 pilots. Unfortunately, it turned out about as well as everything else they touched and all 15 Bulls players are lost on some Island somewhere and the NBA has to initiate the NBA Disaster Draft:

Wikipedia

The team drafted would probably still have to stay under the salary cap: $99,093,000
They can also sign any currently unsigned free agents.

Who does every team protect?
Who do the Bulls take?
Are the Disaster Bulls better than the real ones? (Yes)

The Mavs protect DSJ, Harrison Barnes, Nerlens Noel, Seth Curry, and Yogi Ferrell. Assuming Curry and Noel give hints to the Mavs that they will comeback the next season. If they don't Mavs protect Powell and Matthews instead.

If the Bulls take a player from the Mavs they select Dwight Powell or Wesley Matthews. If Curry or Noel is not protected, they pick one of them.

Without knowing who else the Bulls take I would guess they are better than the real ones. Possibly good enough to make it to the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Sixers protect Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Covington, and Saric.

edit: I have to think the Bulls take a serious look at Okafor.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My guess is Orlando would protect Isaac, Gordon, Vucevic, Simmons, and Fournier. Payton isn't an ideal point for them, but that's a tough cut anyway. Any of those guys who are left open are likely to be poached, and he's up for a new deal anyway. Vucevic might be an option, but if his hot start this year isn't just a fluke there's no way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is there an immediate roster freeze, or would Orlando be able to quickly trade Payton in that scenario to avoid losing him for nothing?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there an immediate roster freeze, or would Orlando be able to quickly trade Payton in that scenario to avoid losing him for nothing?

If real? I assume there would be a date set that players would have to be protected by. There would probably be a short window teams could do some things.

Much like the new NHL team making trades to NOT pick some players.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would assume there's a freeze or things would get ridiculous with every team with a good sixth player trying to dump them to a bad team for pennies.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Nuggets protect Jokic, Millsap, Harris, Murray and... gently caress it, Juancho. Chandler has looked like a garbage fire this year.

Interesting prospects:
Faried
Chandler
Barton
Plumlee

Take a Flyer:
Lyles
Beasley

lol:
Mudiay

Halfling Wizard Bear fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 29, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rozier (or Smart)
McCaw
CJ Miles or Norman Powell
Frank Kammiski (Can Lauri be the lone survivor plz)
Okafor

Is my off the top while not looking at rosters of people who won't be protected.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 29, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Double post

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 29, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Bulls trying to win now in this scenario or build a team for the future?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit Pistons would protect:
Andre Drummond, Stanley Johnson, Jon Leuer, Luke Kennard, and Tobias Harris

Management would dare the Bulls to take Reggie Jackson, hope they forgot about Henry Ellenson, focus only on Ish Smith's shooting, and allow the one year deals to remain unmoored.

For a win now Bulls team coached by Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Bradley may be tempting.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Pacers Protect:
Myles Turner
Victor Oladipo
Domantas Sabonis
Darren Collison
TJ Leaf

Thad Young probably has a good chance of being picked up.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
edit: nm

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okc protects:
Russ
Adams
Pg
Melo
Idk probably abrines

Ferguson or Felton are the likely chosen Ferguson if they want a potentially good 3 and d wing Felton if pg is just that dire

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can we make the OP more sinister? We are talking about GarPax here. I say the arena caught on fire and they refused to turn on the sprinklers to save on the water bill.

Anyway Knicks protect:

King Zing
Frenchie Frank
Big Bill Hernangomez
Douggie Buckets
And I guess Enes Kanter

I figure the Knicks would try to jettison the Hardaway contract and Doug's future contract is gonna be more friendly than Courtney Lee's expiring

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Spurs protect:
Kawhi Leonard
LaMarcus Aldridge
Pau Gasol
Patty Mills
Dejounte Murray

I just thing Ginobli and Parker are too close to retirement for them to be included in the 5 you can protect

Edit: I don't know, maybe they protect Danny Green instead of Dejounte. He just seems to have a lot of promise. Hmm...

Day Man fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 29, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
rather protect Danny Green than Patty tbh, he's still high value 3&D

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Celtics protect Horford, Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, and of course Ainge protects Rozier. Assuming any players taken by the bulls are removed from the team's cap, let them take Hayward and make another stab at a max player in the off season.

Bulls prob take Smart.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Milwaukee protects:

Giannis (duh)
Middleton
Jabari
Maker
Brogdon

Guys who would definitely get picked up:

Monroe
Henson
Delly
Snell
Teletovic

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Bucks are easy.

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Malcom Brogdon
Jabari Parker
Khris Middleton
Thon Maker

That leaves Henson, Snell, and maybe Dellavedova I guess? I'd probably take Snell if I'm Chicago.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

rather protect Danny Green than Patty tbh, he's still high value 3&D

Are you ready to bet on Dejounte over Patty?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Raps protect

DeRozan
Valaciunias
Lowry
Powell
Ibaka

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Infidel Castro posted:

Bucks are easy.

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Malcom Brogdon
Jabari Parker
Khris Middleton
Thon Maker

That leaves Henson, Snell, and maybe Dellavedova I guess? I'd probably take Snell if I'm Chicago.

Didn't they have Snell recently?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

humpthewind posted:

Didn't they have Snell recently?

yup, they traded Snell to Milwaukee for... Michael Carter-Williams. it went about as expected

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Can we make the OP more sinister? We are talking about GarPax here. I say the arena caught on fire and they refused to turn on the sprinklers to save on the water bill.

Anyway Knicks protect:

King Zing
Frenchie Frank
Big Bill Hernangomez
Douggie Buckets
And I guess Enes Kanter

I figure the Knicks would try to jettison the Hardaway contract and Doug's future contract is gonna be more friendly than Courtney Lee's expiring

Gotta disagree on Doug, Kyle O'Quinn is a smarter protect.

I'll have to think some about Nets protections since their 3-10 are all about equal

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets:
Crispy Paul
James Harden
Eric Gordon
Trevor Ariza
Clint Capela

On which Rockets players might be worth taking: Anderson hurts the cap figure a lot. Nene would be a good pick, and you could grab some of the Rockets rookies who have the Daryl Morey Draft Seal of Approval, or PJ Tucker/Luc Mbah a Moute for some journeyman defense.

Ah I didn't see that it was only one player per team. Probably Nene or whichever rookie you like the most then.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 30, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who would the Suns protect? Assuming a realistic scenario where penny wise, pound foolish, and spite are factors.

Devin Booker
Josh Jackson
Alan Williams
Eric Bledsoe (relatively cheap and could get return assets in a trade)
Brandon Knight (same)

The last two spots are up for grabs

TJ Warren would be worth stealing, maybe they would gamble on Dragan getting better as he gets stronger and more mature

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Raps protect

DeRozan
Valaciunias
Lowry
Powell
Ibaka

I think they protect Poetl over Powell.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think they protect Poetl over Powell.

Maybe even Poeltl over Valanciunas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Day Man posted:

yahh, Patty's not getting any younger and he seems to be in a slump rn

so is DJ but he's super young, second year, and long as gently caress. upside

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Day Man posted:

Definitely. I'd protect

Kawhi
LMA
Danny
Dejounte
Manu

Manu stays for his leadership, and because he's (maybe) less broken than TP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the Wolves protect:

KAT
Butler
Wiggins
Teague

For sure. Fifth spot is probably a toss up between Gorgui and Taj but I'd lean towards Gorgui.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Juaguocio posted:

Definitely. I'd protect

Kawhi
LMA
Danny
Dejounte
Manu

Manu stays for his leadership, and because he's (maybe) less broken than TP.

I love Manu, but he's gonna retire in a year or maybe two tops

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Day Man posted:

That said, a good strategy might be to take old guys who won't want to play for you and then have them retire en masses after the first year. Then again it probably poisons the well with all the agents so never mind bad idea

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Clips protect

Milos
PatBev
Gallo
Blake
DJ

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Day Man posted:

Gotta keep one old guy from the championship years, and I'll take Manu over Tony at this point.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Juaguocio posted:

Gotta keep one old guy from the championship years, and I'll take Manu over Tony at this point.

But they can only take one anyway. It wouldn't make sense to take someone with a year left, so I don't think they need protecting.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Day Man posted:

But they can only take one anyway. It wouldn't make sense to take someone with a year left, so I don't think they need protecting.

Oh right. I honestly don't know who I'd protect after Lenny, LMA, Danny, Dejounte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

Gotta disagree on Doug, Kyle O'Quinn is a smarter protect.

I'll have to think some about Nets protections since their 3-10 are all about equal

Also realistically the Knicks would do something stupid like King Zing, French Frank, Kanter, Tim Hardaway, and Courtney Lee

• Locked thread