Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My question is where does this game fall on the Super Mario timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My question is where does this game fall on the Super Mario timeline.

I mean, the most recent considering it references literally all the mainline important Mario games (wait does it reference 2 I can’t recall)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924760280403288064

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Please put this in the OP.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there any story or reasoning for why you do post game stuff? I can’t phrase this question perfectly, but once the game is beaten, are you essentially only playing to get 100%?

Mario wants to do some platforming as Yoshi. That's the story motivation.

edit:\/ They did remove sombrero Mario from the cover art. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-mario-odysseys-nintendo-switch-box-art-appea/1100-6452265/ \/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, am mexican and I loved Tostarena and its denizens, but were other people offended by their depiction?
I know some people were not huge fans of Mario going kind of stereotypical with the poncho/sombrero when that was the first set of kit we'd seen, but I haven't been seeing many negative reactions like that since release.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I mean, the most recent considering it references literally all the mainline important Mario games (wait does it reference 2 I can’t recall)

the only time i directly thought about it was chucking turnips into the stew in luncheon kingdom

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Calaveron posted:

I just love how the worlds feel so alive after the final boss. There’s random NPCs from random worlds everywhere and it helps keep it all connected
Incidentally, am mexican and I loved Tostarena and its denizens, but were other people offended by their depiction?

I'm mexican too, pretty much love how well they got the culture for a cartoony setting, but the "slots" being their invention and being treated as gambling in-game does rub me off wrong. Not, like, to start a campaign or say that Nintendo is being offensive, but enough to tilt my head.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean, a sombrero is comfortable, a sarape is breezy, what’s nto to love
Plus sugar skulls are so beautiful and colorful, it’s a good aesthetic

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pretty late-game (but not post-game) spoiler

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The final level's music is probably the most anime stuff I've ever heard in a Mario game, especially with the original Japanese lyrics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Frankston posted:

I was very disappointed that I couldn't take control of it. It's not wearing a hat!

If Cappy can't Capture the T-Rex for more than like a minute because it's too big, there's no doing with the dragon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supersonic Shine posted:

The final level's music is probably the most anime stuff I've ever heard in a Mario game, especially with the original Japanese lyrics.

That is the one thing in the game I absolutely hated. Game went too far into Sonic territory there. The rest of the sequence is so awesome though I was willing to overlook it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Lake Kingdom seems to pretty much just hand you Moons (they're all out in the open and I think it's possible for you to get all 8 you need before you even fight the boss), are the remaining levels this easy or was this just a breather world of sorts?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

So Lake Kingdom seems to pretty much just hand you Moons (they're all out in the open and I think it's possible for you to get all 8 you need before you even fight the boss), are the remaining levels this easy or was this just a breather world of sorts?

Pretty much a breather level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

That is the one thing in the game I absolutely hated. Game went too far into Sonic territory there. The rest of the sequence is so awesome though I was willing to overlook it.

Who knew the only way to make a fantastic ending sequence better was by adding an anime rear end song. And just take a look at the lyrics and tell me they aren’t perfect

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
gently caress the jump rope game. I'm having a hell of a time consistently getting minimum height jumps, since it's such a tiny difference in how long you hold the button. My highest is 76; hitting 100 is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I combed the entire desert of the Sand Kingdom to get all the Moons for the entire launch day so I loving loved the Lake Kingdom which took like three hours to 100%. The Wooded Kingdom def kicked my rear end all today tho.

I like the amount of regional coins sort of indicating if this sprawling level or a smaller, bite sized level, I hope there's good balance of the two but with my bad completion brain, I actually hope they're all small and easy

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So, confession? I don't really like Mario games. I keep trying to play them, but I always end up bored out of my mind in like, an hour. I guess I'm just not into pure platformers, I need some shoot or whip with my jump mans.

But GodDAMN if this game isn't loving phenomenal. Like this may legit be one of the greatest games ever made.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Do the little moon slots in the corner show you how many moons there are in that particular kingdom? That’s definitely what it is, right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do the little moon slots in the corner show you how many moons there are in that particular kingdom? That’s definitely what it is, right

Ahahahahahahahaha

Oh no, my friend. You don't get off that easy. It's only how many moons you need to get to the next level.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LODGE NORTH posted:

The moon slots in the top left corner are for how many moons you need to "complete" the kingdom. There are many more than that (hit the - button, then Y, to pull up a list that shows a count of all moons and all unique region coins).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: What they said.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
How far into the game do I need to be to unlock outfits with amiibo, I have the dr mario amiibo

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

How far into the game do I need to be to unlock outfits with amiibo, I have the dr mario amiibo

When you get to the desert kingdom, Crazy Cap, Hint Toad and Uncle Amiibo open up, I think.

Scan up to three Amiibo with Uncle Amiibo at a time and he'll give you moon locations and costume unlocks if they're compatible.

edit: He looks like this

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 30, 2017

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is one of the best video game main stories I have ever played, specially the amazing ending. Taking a break now but looking forward to the post game stuff whenever I have time. I already feel like I got my $60 worth though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I knew the ending was coming, bc i mean come on we all saw it coming, but I still got unreasonably excited when you capture bowser

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I honestly didn’t see that coming and I loved it. So many “holy poo poo” moments.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally got this game and just getting to the end of the desert.

Also noticed some coins while doing the bullet bill maze and sure enough you can get up on top of the maze and skip the entire thing. Game is good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What's a good place to farm for coins, because these post-game costumes are ridiculously pricey.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just unlocked the Metal Mario costume from Mario 64 and I'm thrilled about that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

N-no. This is too real. Delete this.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Any way to kill the jumprope people?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Any way to kill the jumprope people?

You have to jump 101 times

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Calaveron posted:

You have to jump 101 times

None of my controllers can input jumps fast enough for this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Please put this in the OP.

ok

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

It’s a pretty big spoiler

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

How the gently caress are y'all sharing pictures, I wanna share my dumb photos I haven't spent an hour on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

It’s a pretty big spoiler

The sign is in the post-game, but everyone is asking about the move :shrug:

I guess those are N64 wall textures and a blocky silhouette, but I doubt anyone would pick that up.

widespread posted:

How the gently caress are y'all sharing pictures, I wanna share my dumb photos I haven't spent an hour on.

You can link Twitter to your account and post from the gallery, or if they're stored on the SD card, I think you can just copy those files off.

Dr. Fetus posted:

What's a good place to farm for coins, because these post-game costumes are ridiculously pricey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzM_xpifULA

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 30, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/Zaggitz/status/924506404483825664

Here's a pic i took at the start of new donk while I'm stuck at work for 3 more Mario-less hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

widespread posted:

Go to the album outside of the game and it'll give you the option to share each picture. You need to link facebook or twitter account for it to work though.

• Locked thread