Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Weezer, the once-lovable sweethearts of curiously heavy pop rock, are going to be releasing a new album called Pacific Daydream on October 27, 2017. I hate myself enough that I have decided to make a post about it.

Weezer released their debut album, Weezer (the blue album) in 1994. It, along with its followup Pinkerton (in hindsight, anyway) are considered by much of the fanbase to be their two strongest records. Other parts of the fanbase consider it to be their only two albums worth listening to, at all. Either way, the years since then have had some weird ups and downs.

In 2001, Weezer released their highly anticipated followup to the deeply awkward and embarrassingly confessional Pinkerton. Weezer (the green album) had a... lukewarm reception I'd say? Fueled by a couple radio hits, the album would eventually go platinum. That album was followed by 2002's Maladroit, which I actually like a fair amount. It has a few stinkers, but compared to the decade of bullshit that would follow it, it's great.

After Maladroit, Weezer lost me. 2005's Make Believe, 2008's Weezer (red album), 2009's Raditude and 2010's Hurley felt to me like Rivers throwing whatever he could at the wall, hoping something would stick. Now, in their defense, some people really like this stuff, but it's certainly not for me. Each album spawned talk of a "comeback" but each of them fell flat.

That sorta changed with 2014's Everything Will Be Alright In the End. Some of it was still a little too sickeningly sweet, but overall it was super catchy album with well written songs.

2016's Weezer (white album) continued to show promise, in my opinion anyway. The sweetness was still there, and I think the low points are much lower than EWBAITE, but I also thought the high points were higher. The absurdly titled "L.A. Girlz" was possibly my favorite thing they'd done since Pinkerton.

Well, now it's Pacific Daydream's turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBqFoyXXs3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsG37JcEQNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc

Beaches!

The songs don't do much for me. I'll still listen to the album when it comes out. At the very least, Weezer somehow released two salvageable albums in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyavenger
Dec 18, 2005
On the cusp of something good....
I checked the songs out.

All this new poo poo just feels like 50 Tyson with a guitar. All details you're confused about the reason for and no real style.

I feel like the last six records did one thing really well: Making me stop thinking there's a reason to skim ten songs and try to find one that's pretty good. These three are about the same.

"She got a bachelor's degree in physics and a job in computer programming
That's pretty cool for a singer in a band so I knew we would end up jamming"

Then later:

"My summer love, oo-we-oo
Oh she loves me, she loves me, she loves me not"

Every once in a while you come across someone who is really about the new catalogue, and it's good for them to enjoy a thing, I guess, but ehhh they've also got the final seasons of Scrubs on DVD and they always want to tell you about some sort of really third tier Anime they watch on a free network.

I just can't imagine being duped by these dudes again when they're selling Rentals hooks with Wesley Willis verses and calling it a day. I said that ten years ago, too. I used to really want to find something good in there but this is what they give us:

"Climbing up the tower
Just a boy and his computer
I'm still in my bathrobe
Hiding in the shadows
I'm not used to losing
Bye, bye, sugar blue eyes
Go home with the angels

FEELS LIKE SUMMER, FEELS LIKE SUMMER
FEELS LIKE SUMMER, FEELS LIKE SUMMER
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Polaroid: See what develops"

Got any more of them home recordings from '93?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm worried about Pacific Daydream because aside from "Beach Boys" the singles haven't been good.

Hi I'm DoubleCakes-- relatively new Weezer fan. About a year ago I gave them a try with Blue, Pinkerton, Green, EWBAITE, and White but was warned off from their other material. I loved the stuff I heard, including EWBAITE which became one of my favourite albums. To get me in the mood for Pacific Daydream I rebinged their works including the middle age albums I previously ignored. Maladroit was pretty solid as many claim. I didn't hate Make Believe as much as others but I do see why people dislike it so much. I think the lyrics on that album are all around bad. "We Are All On Drugs" is still a favourite Weezer song for me-- I've liked it since I was a teenager when I didn't care about Weezer.

Red was an embarrassment followed up by the worst album I've listened to all the way through. Raditude was cringe worthy. I completely get why people hate that album, it was infantile garbage. Hurley on the other hand was something special. I really like that album. I might consider it superior to EWBAITE. It had a sophistication that redeemed Weezer for me after sludging through the vapid Raditude. There isn't a bad song on that album and I think the experimentation pays off big. I am especially impressed with the song "Time Flies" which has a really engaging lo-fi country sound that reminded me of Neutral Milk Hotel not to mention Cuomo writing lyrics about actual mature things instead of the pre-teen tales he needed to tell on Raditude.

I have faith in Cuomo's ability to write music, but I don't have faith in his consistency. It feels like a good or bad Weezer album is up to a coin flip. Cuomo doesn't seem to understand why people dislike albums like Make Believe and Raditude so he'll keep on writing very poppy rock music and it'll be up to fate whether he goes so far as to make something vapid instead of something poppily charming.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Can't wait for Pacific Daydream: Radi2ude

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahaha I had no idea they released a fourth self-titled album. Eat poo poo, future album cataloguers!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Weezer was one of the first bands I got into. My entry point was Green, because when you're 10 you're in your dad's car a lot and your dad really likes Island In The Sun.

Even when I was 13 I could tell there wasn't magic on Make Believe. I went back to Blue and Pink just as Red came out. Teenage me hated it. I kinda got it what they were going for, but it was way too obviously about cash. If you watch the video these days, Pork and Beans is THE icon of 2008. It was kinda dated nine years ago, now it's a graveyard. And it's the simplest song ever written.

I liked Everything and White about as much as I liked Green, but there's no way I'm giving this thing any more than a cursory listen after checking out the previews. The new songs just make no sense as anything but another cash grab. They're 50 year old dudes trying to party at college. It's weird.

And I'd love to see them someday, somehow I missed them up to this point, but now that their ticket prices are legacy act level, their setlists rely on covers of Hey Ya, I Took A Pill In Ibiza and Seven Nation Army, and the only Pink and Maladroit songs on the setlist are part of the same medley, I can't see myself going out of the way to do it.

third_aunt
Jul 3, 2005

baltimoron
drat. I also feel the same about these new songs: they are not doing anything for me.

I feel like this is turning into some type of weird AA posting.

hi. My name is ______ and I have a complicated listening relationship with Weezer. I am of the older fan group, blue and Pinkerton were my LIFE when I was a kid. I used to devour the b-sides, bootlegs, and other oddities that was Weezer related and bands that inspired Weezer. I was excited to see Weezer get back together and the summer 2000 songs were really, really good. I was excited for their comeback, even if the solos felt underdeveloped (hoooo boy). Then I saw them right before the green album came out and I wondered what happened to a lot of the SS2k songs. Then the green album came out. To say I was disappointed... a mere understatement. The songs were boring, underdeveloped solos were intentional to drive the melody. To note: I don't mind the melody driven solos btw. just have a little feeling to them ok, green album?? Hash pipe was ok and island in the sun was fine and I guess Crab & photograph were sort of OK. But I was disappointed, I held on to Weezer and kept listening to their demos they would constantly release after the green album. With Maladroit i felt that it was an... improvement but like the solos are too all over the place (rivers chill your extremes bruh) but there were more songs that I enjoyed except for Take Control, I liked the old version of it. Anyway. Album 5 demos were ok and showed growth but then silence for a while.

What the gently caress happened with Make Believe? Same goes for the red album. Raditude. Hurley? I mostly wrote them off as the singles were just piss poor and some of the deep cut tracks were even worse. Upon re-listening to those album, I will say I've got a bit of a soft spot for Pork and Beans, it's a well arranged song with a decent melody. But gently caress the rest. EWBAITE was ok when I heard some of the tracks, but my bar for Weezer is pretty low.

However, I felt like the White Album was the direction I wanted Weezer to go towards - mastering the pop structure and evolving with it. 'do you wanna get high' was the track that did me in and I find most of the album to be enjoyable - for me it was saying a lot. My issue with Weezer is that I find them to be largely inconsistent. I can understand that they were just fulfilling a contract with a major record label and needed to move units but drat, why do they gotta front? My relationship with Weezer is complicated and I don't want to be misconstrued as a whiny old fan 'who liked Weezer when they were better' ... I like my music to evolve in some way, but if devolution is their thing, that's ok too. We're all Devo.

Anyway, that's my story and the new Weezer songs are just trying too hard.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The album is out and it isn't good. A competently written and perfectly bland pop record.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

The album is out and it isn't good. A competently written and perfectly bland pop record.

That's latter day =w= for ya.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

At least the bass lines are rad as gently caress

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Verdict: Underwhelming but listenable. One thing Pacific Dream has over Red or Raditude is that there aren't any songs I hate (although "Feels Like Summer" and "Mexican Fender" come close). I won't be relistening to the album anytime soon but I might put on "Beach Boys", "Happy Hour", and "Sweet Mary".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I loving love this album. I can't believe I'm saying that about a Weezer album in TYOOL 2017. I discovered that they also released the White Album, so I listened to that too. I hated the last 3 and thought Red was okay. They all had tracks I hated.

I am so surprised by this. White and PD aren't perfect albums but they both have multiple tracks that I really, really enjoy. Which is my metric of a good album release by any artist.

It feels like they are evolving more by combining their existing sound with late 2010's folksy pop trends. And it works really well.

Edit: I fully admit though that I don't pay attention/give a gently caress about the lyrics outside of singing along to the hooks.

DoubleCakes posted:

Verdict: Underwhelming but listenable. One thing Pacific Dream has over Red or Raditude is that there aren't any songs I hate (although "Feels Like Summer" and "Mexican Fender" come close). I won't be relistening to the album anytime soon but I might put on "Beach Boys", "Happy Hour", and "Sweet Mary".

Strong disagree, I love Feels Like Summer and it's been on repeat a bunch throughout my day.

Seaniqua posted:

I think it's good for the same reasons. Except instead of bland it's a pleasant mix of current pop trends and weezer aesthetics.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I seriously can't believe I liked and am defending recent Weezer albums in 2017.

How did this thread feel about the previous albums? Wikipedia shows that they generally had higher aggregate scores than White and PD. But I feel the opposite, because I actually enjoy White and PD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Them touring with the Pixies is like a bad joke someone would have made in 1994, come to life.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I see Weezer as a band of phases. Phase 1 (Blue-Pink) is great, phase 2 (Green-Mal) is good, phase 3 is transparently terrible (Make Believe-Hurley), phase 4 (Everything-White) is shockingly decent, and we've just hit phase 5 with PD, an album that alternatively bored and offended me. So, not the best start to this one.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Feels like Summer is an abomination.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

turnip kid posted:

Feels like Summer is an abomination.

False. It's a great pop song that blends traditional Weezer bones with 2010's pop aesthetic.

It's in fact, good.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

This new weezer album is loving terrible and if you like it you yourself are loving terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Molestationary Store posted:

This new weezer album is loving terrible and if you like it you yourself are loving terrible.

Every Weezer album is terrible, but at least the first 2 had a half dozen good songs on them.

I love how the cover for The Red Album is "midlife hipster crisis.jpg"

How long until "The Black Album"? At this rate, what, 6 months?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

White and PD are actually decent. Pacific Daydream is getting a lot of playtime in my car. It's definitely a grower. I don't know why every Weezer album needs a fuckin doctoral thesis about the band's history with an analysis of its past.

Rivers always has just released whatever the gently caress he's feeling at the time. In that sense, PD is no different than any other album they've done. It's fun, very catchy, and unbelievably cheesy. I like it. At the same time, it breaks away from the heavy nostalgia train they've been riding for the last few years and sounds different. That's fine with me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh poo poo i bought this 2 weeks ago and still havent listened to it.

Is there anything redeeming in the back half of the album? Because I hated all the singles.

CRINDY posted:

I see Weezer as a band of phases. Phase 1 (Blue-Pink) is great, phase 2 (Green-Mal) is good, phase 3 is transparently terrible (Make Believe-Hurley), phase 4 (Everything-White) is shockingly decent, and we've just hit phase 5 with PD, an album that alternatively bored and offended me. So, not the best start to this one.

I will defend Make Believe forever. I love almost every song on that album. Only Beverly Hills is absolutely awful.

For me the phases are Blue-Make (great declining to good), Red-Hurley (awful rising to okay) and EWBAITE-White (decent rising to good again).

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 9, 2017

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I stopped listening at Maladroit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

I stopped listening at Maladroit.

I stopped listening after the first 3 tracks of Pinkerton

"Tired of Sex" and "El Scorcho" are so much better than any other song they have ever done that it boggles my mind. Whoever wrote the music in those songs was clearly not Rivers Cuomo, or if it was, he needs to build a time machine. I'm not saying bands shouldn't evolve, but they sure as poo poo shouldn't devolve as fast and hard as Weezer. Weezer doesn't even have the "Rollerskate Skinny excuse" where the guy who made their first album good literally wasn't on the second one.

e: oh poo poo I just realized that Weezer is essentialy, quality-wise, the second coming of Ride. "Black Nite Crash" aside, they plummeted in song quality so fast and hard that it boggles the senses.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

precision posted:

I stopped listening after the first 3 tracks of Pinkerton

"Tired of Sex" and "El Scorcho" are so much better than any other song they have ever done that it boggles my mind. Whoever wrote the music in those songs was clearly not Rivers Cuomo, or if it was, he needs to build a time machine. I'm not saying bands shouldn't evolve, but they sure as poo poo shouldn't devolve as fast and hard as Weezer. Weezer doesn't even have the "Rollerskate Skinny excuse" where the guy who made their first album good literally wasn't on the second one.

e: oh poo poo I just realized that Weezer is essentialy, quality-wise, the second coming of Ride. "Black Nite Crash" aside, they plummeted in song quality so fast and hard that it boggles the senses.

El Scorcho is track 7 though.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

El Scorcho is the worst song on Pinkerton :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

El Scorcho is track 7 though.

Crazy! Shows how long it's been since I listened to it.

Seaniqua posted:

El Scorcho is the worst song on Pinkerton :colbert:

Uh, "Pink Triangle"? "I'm dumb / she's a lesbian"? That song is aaaaaawful.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

precision posted:

Uh, "Pink Triangle"? "I'm dumb / she's a lesbian"? That song is aaaaaawful.

all the songs on pinkerton are very good but No Other One is probably the worst if you had to hold a gun to my head

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

deadwing posted:

all the songs on pinkerton are very good but No Other One is probably the worst if you had to hold a gun to my head
Across the Sea is great.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The worst Pinkerton songs are better than anything they put out in this decade by a country mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like to put Pinkerton on and rock out sometimes. Same with blue but I don't rock out as hard.

• Locked thread