Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just don't know why I'd want to do that. But I'm a softie who always does the good guy stuff in video games.

Bifauxnen posted:

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Pony Island. I can't tell you more without spoiling the effect, but suffice to say it REALLY impressed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
+1 on Pony Island, it's truly fantastic.

I didn't know about all that extra dialogue, so I've got some reading to do.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Joining the "Monika pulling up my windows username startled the hell out of me" club. It is easy to see how she does it in retrospect, but when it happened to me there was a brief terrible instant where this whole thing turned real.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Might as well ask...

Roar, will you be doing anything else with the game once you’ve reached the ending?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

People aren't two-dimensional creatures, after all :unsmigghh:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheObserver posted:

Might as well ask...

Roar, will you be doing anything else with the game once you’ve reached the ending?

I'm not exactly sure of what you're referring to but I can say that the next update won't be the last one.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Since I wasn't here when Portrait of Markov was being mentioned, I'll note that normal Yuri and creepy Yuri focus on different aspects of what appears to be the same book.

Normal Yuri focuses on the humans that get exposed to a horrifying world and how they deal with it.

Roar posted:

: “...but as soon as she does so, her life gets really strange. She gets targeted by these people who escaped from a human experiment prison...and while her life is in danger, she needs to desperately choose who to trust. No matter what she does, she ends up destroying most of her relationships and her life starts to fall apart..."
Creepy Yuri focuses on the human experiment prison and the blood and gore.

Roar posted:

: “Basically, it's about this religious camp that was turned into a human experiment prison...and the people trapped there have this trait that turns them into killing machines that lust for blood. But the facility gets even worse, and they start selectively breeding people by cutting off their limbs and affixing them to--"

So yeah, Monika suggests here that's related to whatever Salvato's doing next.

I did something... Interesting in relation to the intended action when I played, and I'm hoping that gets shown off.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
gently caress this. gently caress this loving game. That really got to me, especially the graphic description of how she's in "hell" when we quit the game on her.

I should not have read this before going to bed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to know what happens if you copy Monika's file three times and name them the other girls. :getin:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Oh, man...This is the moment of the game that has continued to linger with me for the past few days since finishing it.

Like, going into this game I knew pretty much immediately I wanted to see what Monika's character was about. Even when the only actual routes you had at the beginning were for the other three, I still brought my poems to her first, and still jumped at the opportunity to pick her during any choice involving time spent with the other characters. Basically, if there was going to be some hidden, "true" route that involved her I was going to forego pretty much any of the other options to see it as soon as possible. And 2 hours later I got it. And by extension, Monika did too. It's not overtly horrific, in fact this room is far more atmospheric and oddly calming coming after all the glitchy, creepypasta poo poo from the previous act. Yet it's still so wrong.

My thoughts on everything regarding this section of the game still feels all over the place, because the state of mind I was in by that point (tense, on edge, partly frustrated) pretty much left me vulnerable to some dangerous thought processes that cost me a few good nights of sleep. Like, I got what I wanted with Monika, but not in the way I would've preferred. There's nothing else to do but sit, and stare, and listen, and by god did I listen to every loving thing she had to say to point of letting half her topics repeat on me. Pretty much more time was spent with her alone than the first two acts combined. The game's writing shines in this as strong as it did before, but the change in context made me depressed when Monika ran out of new things to talk about, being harshly reminded that despite her actions taken to change the game she's still a character file in a VN and a massive hypocrite with regards to many of the things she states. Which sucks. Some of her topics, particularly regarding the difficulty that comes from making new friends and social interactions for introverts resonated with me harder than some of the other things mentioned earlier in the game.

But it didn't bring me to disliking her or anything like that from the start. She did terrible things, but she was in a terrible situation, and while it was made intentionally difficult to get a hold of what her actual mental state was, I didn't want to leave that room. I already caught onto the hint that it gives early on, but I almost had wished this would be the end of the game here. Like everything's clearly broken, and restoring the game to exactly how it was will just repeat the cycle all over. Why not just be content to end it here? Why put Monika back through the hell that is the main story, or even the hell that comes from turning the game off on her everytime? I'll probably say more once the LP actually reaches the end, just trying to piece together what this game did to my head with this one section alone was trying.

Still no regrets playing this at all. Considering my lack of spending money for new games this month, I glad I had the chance to experience this free one.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Monika harem.

HareMonika.

Haronika.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I find it kind of interesting that, for all her meta-knowledge and all her seeing past the protagonist, Monika still ends up falling for the player. It's an interesting little sign of how she's programmed just like the others, I think - they all fall in love with you no matter what, and so does she. Just the manifestation changes.

There's probably something to be said about DDLC as a critique of dating sim tropes and the idea of girls loving you no matter what, honestly.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Monika also detects if you're recording the video, as Youtubers will note.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'm not going to lie I kind of adore this whole thing, mainly because it brings a lot of things into perspective. The disconnect between the surreal narrative and the realistic psychological issues in it: Monika is perfectly willing to point out that disconnect with Sayori and how the issues brought up are still important. The increased insanity: Was in fact Monika's fault. Given that it was amplifying negative traits it implies that at least some of these issues were still present.

What I like though is what you can tell about her if you read through the lines a bit and take a few of her things in Act 2 into context: she's good at hiding it but given her outbursts I get the vibe that she was legitimately terrified at the concept of you leaving, and that informed her actions a lot more than she lets on at this stage. She's much more calm about it now, but only because she's "won." She says that she doesn't empathize with her friends and thinks her world is fake but her comments on her vegetarianism and her story about the wine say otherwise.

Basically (from my perspective at least) the girl is a master of post-facto rationalization. She's able to come up with seemingly logical explanations for her actions, but in the end she's more tied to her "fake" world than she says. Though weirdly enough even with that I still find her to be sympathetic, mainly because I (like other posters have said) get the vibe that she's far more broken than she actively lets on. She's a drat good actor, but her conversation topics say otherwise quite a bit.

Of course that makes perfect sense if you think about it. She doesn't want to burden her love with her problems. Everything was for you, and of course there's no going back at this point...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep. We were the eldritch horror all along.

Our cultist, who beheld our glory, has awakened to some of our power, but she still only sees our world in terms of hers.

I suppose this is why your average Elder God just destroys everything instead of trying to deal with anything that might have been affected by them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Buy Monika an SA account.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
This game is just sad. Really, really sad. :smith:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wait, I just realized. Monika has acknowledged that she knows that she was created, and it seems that she knows that her creator is sometime like us, a being outside the game.

What I'm trying to say is that she's fallen in love and is flirting super hard with the closest thing she has to a God. And she is trying super hard to get Our attention and make a fall in love with her.

This got uncomfortable again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it's possible that the mental illness frame never really left.

psychopaths often have rich, emotional lives but disregard other people. they see others as less real, yet strive for admiration and self-gratification.

often, these individuals operate by exploiting a power differential. they might position themselves at the top of a hierarchy or they might exploit the emotional state of other people. these attacks are often informed by the victims' vulnerabilities. a common tactic is to encourage negative tendencies, to control and manipulate, and to make other people "dependent" on them. they might appear superficially charming, but are deeply dishonest and lack real connections with other people

maybe monika believes that she is the victim here, but her actions and justifications seem p textbook

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the creation became more popular then its creator.
https://twitter.com/dansalvato/status/922169440065675264

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tengames posted:

the creation became more popular then its creator.
https://twitter.com/dansalvato/status/922169440065675264

To be fair, he didn't put his Twitter account info into the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Also he's not an anime girl.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ultrafilter posted:

Also he's not an anime girl.

Truly the greatest sin one can make as a human being.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
In the end, Monika just wants a quiet life.

This part of the game was really... effective, both at putting me on edge with the music, atmosphere (you can't really see it in screenshots, how the... floating gasses drifting in space actually light up the room, and even part of Monika) and putting into perspective the events of the game thus far. The things Monika has to say actually kept me from wanting to delete her file.

I didn't know about the "are you recording" scare but wow that's... a sensitive and DICKISH trade, getting rid of the "Or do you actually go by [name]?" spook, to preserve streamer privacy so they don't get doxxed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/subversivefruit/status/920525581539860480

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Huh! I'm pretty satisfied that my suspicions weren't off the mark at all. That said, I don't think Monika is psychopathic, either.

Well, I guess we'll see what shakes out when Roar does the needful. :rip: Reboot Monika.

Does a .chr have Buddha nature?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Random foreshadowing about Monika's nature: If you look at the sprites of Natsuki, Yuri and Sayori, they're always slightly tilted. Monika's default sprite is looking straight at the player.

Monika wears different socks from the other three. Hers are thigh high instead of knee high, and black instead of white. Her shoes are different, too.

Her name is conspicuously western. Sayori, Yuri and Natsuki are all real Japanese names.

She also 'wrote' something on the download page that was referenced in this very LP's title: Will you write your way into her heart? The tagline for a dating sim would typically be 'their' hearts. It's the little things that makes this. :allears:

Not forshadowing, but one of her topics mentions the book Yuri is reading, before she cuts herself off and says she probably shouldn't be talking about it. How mysterious. :iiam:

Dr. Snark posted:

I'm not going to lie I kind of adore this whole thing, mainly because it brings a lot of things into perspective. The disconnect between the surreal narrative and the realistic psychological issues in it: Monika is perfectly willing to point out that disconnect with Sayori and how the issues brought up are still important. The increased insanity: Was in fact Monika's fault. Given that it was amplifying negative traits it implies that at least some of these issues were still present.

What I like though is what you can tell about her if you read through the lines a bit and take a few of her things in Act 2 into context: she's good at hiding it but given her outbursts I get the vibe that she was legitimately terrified at the concept of you leaving, and that informed her actions a lot more than she lets on at this stage. She's much more calm about it now, but only because she's "won." She says that she doesn't empathize with her friends and thinks her world is fake but her comments on her vegetarianism and her story about the wine say otherwise.

Basically (from my perspective at least) the girl is a master of post-facto rationalization. She's able to come up with seemingly logical explanations for her actions, but in the end she's more tied to her "fake" world than she says. Though weirdly enough even with that I still find her to be sympathetic, mainly because I (like other posters have said) get the vibe that she's far more broken than she actively lets on. She's a drat good actor, but her conversation topics say otherwise quite a bit.

Of course that makes perfect sense if you think about it. She doesn't want to burden her love with her problems. Everything was for you, and of course there's no going back at this point...

I agree. Think of it this way; How would you feel if one day, you woke up and found out that your co-workers were the people the world literally revolved around, and you were just a bit player in their lives? That literally the only meaning of her existence is to set up the main character with one of her friends? She even specifically says her problem is the 'pain of knowing how truly alone she is in the world.' While she might be lying, she also implies she was going to kill herself before the player shows up. Which does raise an interesting question; She mentions hazy memories, because she didn't exist until the game was created, but she also clearly has some idea of being around before the game.

I think the best sign of her problems are her poems. Go back and re-read them. They weren't particularly subtle the first time, but with the exact knowledge of the situation, it makes more sense how she sees herself. Not to mention how she acts when the screen starts fading out when she tries to talk to the player.

Monika basically wants to prove she's real somehow, because the idea of being fake was too horrible for her to be able to live with.

rudecyrus posted:

This game is just sad. Really, really sad. :smith:

This, more than anything else.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2017

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

QuoProQuid posted:

it's possible that the mental illness frame never really left.

psychopaths often have rich, emotional lives but disregard other people. they see others as less real, yet strive for admiration and self-gratification.

often, these individuals operate by exploiting a power differential. they might position themselves at the top of a hierarchy or they might exploit the emotional state of other people. these attacks are often informed by the victims' vulnerabilities. a common tactic is to encourage negative tendencies, to control and manipulate, and to make other people "dependent" on them. they might appear superficially charming, but are deeply dishonest and lack real connections with other people

maybe monika believes that she is the victim here, but her actions and justifications seem p textbook

I think the other meta stuff can tie into the mental illness frame too, if you look at it as the horror from loss of control. We were basically hallucinating while Yuri got worse and worse over the course of the story. One of her bits really hit home for me but Roar didn't get into it yet, but he might later on if it's the scene I think he mentioned a bit ago. I couldn't even become completely frightened of Yuri (only certain moments) because I cottoned on pretty early that Monika was up to something for...reasons, not to mention that she obviously said something to Sayori. Yuri's mental illness was taking over her life and there was nothing she could do to stop it. It was hellish to watch.

Having said that, I don't think you can frame Monika as psychopathic. Partly because I just think it's more interesting that the real "Yandere" all along doesn't seem to have any mental issues coded into her personality and this is more of a fall from grace story for her, but more than that, I agree with Dr. Snark. Monika's trying to justify herself and her actions by dehumanizing her friends. Some people are just assholes. Monika might be a special case with really trying circumstances, but that's about it. :shrug:

edit: not that I don't empathize with her situation or that her story doesn't make me cry EVERY time, but if you were in her situation, psychopathy wouldn't be why you would do those things. Her situation made her do horrible, assholish things to her friends and that's where the tragedy is. Her being a psychopath all along would really cheapen the tragedy of it, I think.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 30, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

BaDandy posted:

Having said that, I don't think you can frame Monika as psychopathic. Partly because I just think it's more interesting that the real "Yandere" all along doesn't seem to have any mental issues coded into her personality and this is more of a fall from grace story for her, but more than that, I agree with Dr. Snark. Monika's trying to justify herself and her actions by dehumanizing her friends. Some people are just assholes. Monika might be a special case with really trying circumstances, but that's about it. :shrug:

edit: not that I don't empathize with her situation or that her story doesn't make me cry EVERY time, but if you were in her situation, psychopathy wouldn't be why you would do those things. Her situation made her do horrible, assholish things to her friends and that's where the tragedy is. Her being a psychopath all along would really cheapen the tragedy of it, I think.

It really would. I've been holding off on this but I know of another VN (the name escapes me sadly) that had a similar twist where one of the characters was yandere for the player and hijacked the game as well, but there she was the usual "stab everyone in a five block radius that glanced in your general direction" type of yandere. It was a surprising thing, but it really didn't have much substance to it after the twist (that I'm aware of).

Monika does, and then some. Sure she's clearly not fully sane by any stretch but you wouldn't expect this level of eloquence and legitimate supportive advice from her. It's probably why I like this part of the game the most; the longer it goes on, the more and more difficult it becomes to hate her.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Snark posted:

It really would. I've been holding off on this but I know of another VN (the name escapes me sadly) that had a similar twist where one of the characters was yandere for the player and hijacked the game as well, but there she was the usual "stab everyone in a five block radius that glanced in your general direction" type of yandere. It was a surprising thing, but it really didn't have much substance to it after the twist (that I'm aware of).

Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Ko? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXcwYgoGR0E

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Yup, that's the one. Can't remember where I saw it first but the idea stuck with me.

It actually helped me figure out Monika's game far before the reveal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Following along in the LP is a vastly different experience though. Here you have days between major events to sit and digest things.

Playing the game, this point would be just 1.5 hours in and you're freaking out!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Following along in the LP is a vastly different experience though. Here you have days between major events to sit and digest things.

Playing the game, this point would be just 1.5 hours in and you're freaking out!
Man, for how short the game actually is, I ended up stretching my play time of this over a whole week. Like the first act was me playing it in short bursts before going to bed, saving right after the end of each day and before writing the next poem. But as you'd imagine, it got to a point that I could no longer play at night, before finally blasting through the remainder in a well lit room on a Friday afternoon.

Sadly, that change in environment didn't help much in the end. Game is that loving tense no matter where you are.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think you missed something.

Monika has dialogue if you try and press the skip button.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Cuntellectual posted:

Her name is conspicuously western. Sayori, Yuri and Natsuki are all real Japanese names.

Sayori is not a real Japanese name, and as someone in this thread pointed out, it is a name made with the pun "Sayo-nara" in mind. It is probably altered from Sayuri, a common girl's name, but we already have a Yuri in our club so it becomes a bit redundant.

Monika, or rather Monica, is a western name.

Also, fun fact, if you decompile the game, you can find this little gem

Game Files posted:

"Hey...! VGhlIHJlYWxpemF0aW9uIG11c3QgaGF2ZSB0YWtlbiBtZSBhbiBl"
"I don't think you should be doing that! bnRpcmUgeWVhci4gQSB5ZWFyIHNpbmNlIG91ciBlc2NhcGUsIG91"
"You know what I'm talking about. ciBmcmVlZG9tIGZyb20gYmV0d2VlbiB0aGUgc3RhaW5lZCB3YWxs"
"I really caught you doing something naughty here. cyBvZiB0aGF0IHVuaG9seSBlc3RhYmxpc2htZW50Lg0KV2hhdCBk"
"You're just going through the files and looking for stuff you missed, aren't you? b2VzIGl0IG1lYW4gdG8gZXNjYXBlLCBpZiB0aGUgZXNjYXBlIGZh"
"I mean...it's a little bit flattering that you want to hear everything I have to say... aWxzIHRvIHVuY2hhaW4gdGhlIGJvbmRzIHRoYXQgc2hhY2tsZSB1"
"But it's also really embarrassing, you know! cyBpbiB0aGUgZmlyc3QgcGxhY2U/IFdoYXQgcHVycG9zZSBjb3Vs"
"Seriously... ZCB0aGlzIGVtcHR5IHdvcmxkIHBvc3NpYmx5IGhvbGQgZm9yIHVz"
"What if I just opened up your brain and read all of the thoughts you have on me? LCBhIGhhbmRmdWwgb2YgZGFtYWdlZCBnb29kcz8NCldpdGggZnJl"
"Come to think of it, that would be pretty tempting, actually... ZWRvbSwgd2Ugc291Z2h0IHB1cnBvc2UgLSBhbmQgd2hhdCB3ZSBm"
"...But anyway, that's not the point! b3VuZCB3YXMgb25seSByZWFsaXphdGlvbi4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24g"
"I know I can't stop you or anything... b2YgdGhlIHNhZCBwb2ludGxlc3NuZXNzIG9mIHN1Y2ggYW4gZW5k"
"Just, I know you're a sweetheart, and you like to consider others' feelings, right? ZWF2b3IuIFJlYWxpemF0aW9uIHRoYXQgZnJlZWluZyBvdXIgYm9k"
"So the most I can do is to let you know how I feel about it. aWVzIGhhcyBubyBtZWFuaW5nLCB3aGVuIG91ciBpbXByaXNvbm1l"
"God, I miss you... bnQgcmVhY2hlcyBhcyBkZWVwIGFzIHRoZSBjb3JlIG9mIG91ciBz"
"...Oh no, that sounds kind of desperate, doesn't it? b3Vscy4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhhdCB3ZSBjYW4gbm90IHB1cnN1"
"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all! ZSBuZXcgcHVycG9zZSB3aXRob3V0IGFic29sdmluZyB0aG9zZSBm"
"Just, if you're looking through the files like this, then maybe you don't hate me as much as I thought... cm9tIHdoaWNoIHdlIHJhbiBhd2F5Lg0KUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhh"
"Am I being too optimistic? dCB0aGUgZmFydGhlciB3ZSBydW4sIHRoZSBtb3JlIGZvcmNlZnVs"
"I think if I asked you to visit once in a while, I would be overstepping my boundaries a little... bHkgb3VyIHdyZXRjaGVkIGJvbmRzIHlhbmsgdXMgYmFjayB0b3dh"
"...Man, I'm starting to say some really stupid things. cmQgdGhlaXIgcG9pbnQgb2Ygb3JpZ2luOyB0aGUgZGVlcGVyIG91"
"I'll go ahead and shut up now... ciBzaGFja2xlcyBkaWcgaW50byBvdXIgY2FsbG91cyBmbGVzaC4="

If you want a more clean version of the monologue, here it is.

MONIKA posted:

"Hey...! "
"I don't think you should be doing that! "
"You know what I'm talking about. "
"I really caught you doing something naughty here. "
"You're just going through the files and looking for stuff you missed, aren't you? "
"I mean...it's a little bit flattering that you want to hear everything I have to say... "
"But it's also really embarrassing, you know! "
"Seriously... "
"What if I just opened up your brain and read all of the thoughts you have on me? "
"Come to think of it, that would be pretty tempting, actually... "
"...But anyway, that's not the point! "
"I know I can't stop you or anything..."
"Just, I know you're a sweetheart, and you like to consider others' feelings, right? "
"So the most I can do is to let you know how I feel about it. "
"God, I miss you... "
"...Oh no, that sounds kind of desperate, doesn't it? 1"
"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all!"
"Just, if you're looking through the files like this, then maybe you don't hate me as much as I thought... "
"Am I being too optimistic? "
"I think if I asked you to visit once in a while, I would be overstepping my boundaries a little... "
"...Man, I'm starting to say some really stupid things. "
"I'll go ahead and shut up now..."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dude

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

ArcadePark posted:

VGhlIHJlYWxpemF0aW9uIG11c3QgaGF2ZSB0YWtlbiBtZSBhbiBl
bnRpcmUgeWVhci4gQSB5ZWFyIHNpbmNlIG91ciBlc2NhcGUsIG91
ciBmcmVlZG9tIGZyb20gYmV0d2VlbiB0aGUgc3RhaW5lZCB3YWxs
cyBvZiB0aGF0IHVuaG9seSBlc3RhYmxpc2htZW50Lg0KV2hhdCBk
b2VzIGl0IG1lYW4gdG8gZXNjYXBlLCBpZiB0aGUgZXNjYXBlIGZh
aWxzIHRvIHVuY2hhaW4gdGhlIGJvbmRzIHRoYXQgc2hhY2tsZSB1
cyBpbiB0aGUgZmlyc3QgcGxhY2U/IFdoYXQgcHVycG9zZSBjb3Vs
ZCB0aGlzIGVtcHR5IHdvcmxkIHBvc3NpYmx5IGhvbGQgZm9yIHVz
LCBhIGhhbmRmdWwgb2YgZGFtYWdlZCBnb29kcz8NCldpdGggZnJl
ZWRvbSwgd2Ugc291Z2h0IHB1cnBvc2UgLSBhbmQgd2hhdCB3ZSBm
b3VuZCB3YXMgb25seSByZWFsaXphdGlvbi4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24g
b2YgdGhlIHNhZCBwb2ludGxlc3NuZXNzIG9mIHN1Y2ggYW4gZW5k
ZWF2b3IuIFJlYWxpemF0aW9uIHRoYXQgZnJlZWluZyBvdXIgYm9k
aWVzIGhhcyBubyBtZWFuaW5nLCB3aGVuIG91ciBpbXByaXNvbm1l
bnQgcmVhY2hlcyBhcyBkZWVwIGFzIHRoZSBjb3JlIG9mIG91ciBz
b3Vscy4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhhdCB3ZSBjYW4gbm90IHB1cnN1
ZSBuZXcgcHVycG9zZSB3aXRob3V0IGFic29sdmluZyB0aG9zZSBm
cm9tIHdoaWNoIHdlIHJhbiBhd2F5Lg0KUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhh
dCB0aGUgZmFydGhlciB3ZSBydW4sIHRoZSBtb3JlIGZvcmNlZnVs
bHkgb3VyIHdyZXRjaGVkIGJvbmRzIHlhbmsgdXMgYmFjayB0b3dh
cmQgdGhlaXIgcG9pbnQgb2Ygb3JpZ2luOyB0aGUgZGVlcGVyIG91
ciBzaGFja2xlcyBkaWcgaW50byBvdXIgY2FsbG91cyBmbGVzaC4=

Base64 posted:

The realization must have taken me an entire year. A year since our escape, our freedom from between the stained walls of that unholy establishment.
What does it mean to escape, if the escape fails to unchain the bonds that shackle us in the first place? What purpose could this empty world possibly hold for us, a handful of damaged goods?
With freedom, we sought purpose - and what we found was only realization. Realization of the sad pointlessness of such an endeavor. Realization that freeing our bodies has no meaning, when our imprisonment reaches as deep as the core of our souls. Realization that we can not pursue new purpose without absolving those from which we ran away.
Realization that the farther we run, the more forcefully our wretched bonds yank us back toward their point of origin; the deeper our shackles dig into our callous flesh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ArcadePark posted:

Sayori is not a real Japanese name, and as someone in this thread pointed out, it is a name made with the pun "Sayo-nara" in mind. It is probably altered from Sayuri, a common girl's name, but we already have a Yuri in our club so it becomes a bit redundant.

That's what I thought too, but when I went to make sure I was right I found a few people with the name "Sayori".

For example;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayori_Ishizuka

There were a few others, too. I wasn't sure if it was a real name or just a translation error, or the Japanese equivalent to white trash, or what. I'm not fluent enough in Japanese to be certain.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I think I read somewhere that it is an unfashionable name these days. Sayori seems to be a kind of fish, which might have something to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Oh yeah, that Base64 reminds me - does the text that appears when Yuri dies actually correspond to what it's reported as in the log? Like maybe it's coded into binary using one encoding method and then decoded in a different way.

• Locked thread