Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

when does saw get his robot legs and the mind rape squid?

Before the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

banned from Starbucks posted:

when does saw get his robot legs and the mind rape squid?

In the episode Mothma talks about refusing to use intel received through "forbidden" techniques so I'm guessing he already has the mind rape squid and it violates some kind of Space Geneva

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Squid legs for Saw would've been hilarious, if a PITA to animate

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Moon Slayer posted:

:shrug: Even after open warfare had broken out between the British and the American colonists, many still wanted to find a peaceful resolution. Several members of the Second Continental Congress (which convened after the battles at Lexington and Concord) voted against declaring independence because it would end any chance of that. Only about a third of Americans wanted to fight the British at all. We don't really talk about that these days because in the end a diplomatic solution wasn't possible and the revolutionaries were successful, so it makes a better story for everyone to have been united and resolute on independence from the start. I find it really interesting that they're highlighting the divisions and debate in the nascent Rebel Alliance.

The "one third" thing is a myth (John Adams really liked breaking things into thirds), but otherwise that's correct.

And Rogue One is a great example of how the liberal leaders of the rebellion and their "peaceful solutions" garbage is ineffective, while the direct action of fringe elements like Saw and Jyn Erso gets poo poo done.

But it took their example to wake up the other leaders into actually fighting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Perhaps the point is that as much as one side distrusts, and the other side disowns, neither could have succeeded without the efforts of the other - through ruthless and obsessive pursuit of the truth Saw's partisans obtained the information that saved the rebellion and kicked it into gear, but only the larger cells with their broad appeal, popularity, and heroic public face could ever garner the people and resources necessary to act on it.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Did Saw's ruthless tactics actually help him get the info, though? Or did they just put a roadblock in the way of actually being able to use the information effectively?

I think Saw only gets Galen Erso's message via Bodhi because they were already friends.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DancinBrud posted:

Did Saw's ruthless tactics actually help him get the info, though? Or did they just put a roadblock in the way of actually being able to use the information effectively?

I think Saw only gets Galen Erso's message via Bodhi because they were already friends.

So far, they seem to be hinting heavily that Saw is the source of the leadership's intel in Rogue One that the Empire is working on something. And this last episode seems to be the evidence that turns Saw's rumors and whispers into something that is actually a thing. The alliance doesn't even get word of what the Death Star is until after Jedha.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Perhaps the point is that as much as one side distrusts, and the other side disowns, neither could have succeeded without the efforts of the other - through ruthless and obsessive pursuit of the truth Saw's partisans obtained the information that saved the rebellion and kicked it into gear, but only the larger cells with their broad appeal, popularity, and heroic public face could ever garner the people and resources necessary to act on it.

Argument could be made that the Rebellion only gets those things after the Death Star is destroyed and Saw's too dead to take advantage of the factional play. The Republic allowed slavery and was evidently loving awful to live in anywhere outside the core worlds, pretty sure you could create a movement to overthrow the Empire with broad appeal that wasn't just, 'Please die so I can get my sweet senate job back.'

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Argument could be made that the Rebellion only gets those things after the Death Star is destroyed and Saw's too dead to take advantage of the factional play. The Republic allowed slavery and was evidently loving awful to live in anywhere outside the core worlds, pretty sure you could create a movement to overthrow the Empire with broad appeal that wasn't just, 'Please die so I can get my sweet senate job back.'

Its a major plot point in at least 1 or 2 movies that the republic does not allow slavery. Its why Anakin ended up being a door prize since they never would have had to do that poo poo in the republic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There’s only one other person in Star Wars that used the giant head setting for hologram conversations.

Well, two I guess, after TFA.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 28, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Its a major plot point in at least 1 or 2 movies that the republic does not allow slavery. Its why Anakin ended up being a door prize since they never would have had to do that poo poo in the republic.

Fine, they allow the conditions to exist that allow slavery because they can't police the margins of their empire effectively.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fine, they allow the conditions to exist that allow slavery because they can't police the margins of their empire effectively.

That seems like something that's true of any large empire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

tsob posted:

That seems like something that's true of any large empire.

And why large galaxy spanning empires are probably a bad idea.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

There’s only one other person in Star Wars that used the giant head setting for hologram conversations.

Well, two I guess, after TFA.

Palps, Joruus, and Saw, actually

Snoke went with the full-body option

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And why large galaxy spanning empires are probably a bad idea.

It's only really a bad idea when your empire is larger than your communications and travel technology can swiftly and reliably cover. Distance alone doesn't really cover it, because large empires historically had a lot less territory than a galaxy but often were too large for their own good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

All I'm saying is the galaxy could really have done with a bit more political and sociological theory before or while launching into a rebellion. Luke (at least in the old EU) attempted to diagnose the problems that caused the downfall of the Jedi and tried to fix them, you'd think the Rebels could do the same for the Republic.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Another week, another 2 hours or so and the new episodes still aren't up on DisneyNow etc.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

We're back to the season 1 length of 15 episodes instead of 22 for this final season yea?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to an episode of the Forces of Destiny microseries, we now know for a fact that Hera, Chopper, and the Ghost all survive at least until the battle of Endor. No sign of any of the rest of the Specter team in that episode though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For reference:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/925044644643143681

Younger Han sounds much better than that VA's old Han.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jivjov posted:

Thanks to an episode of the Forces of Destiny microseries, we now know for a fact that Hera, Chopper, and the Ghost all survive at least until the battle of Endor. No sign of any of the rest of the Specter team in that episode though.

Kanaan is totally dead because Ezra kills him, and Ezra is totally Snoke

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also that weird hanging question about the Ewoks eating stormtroopers got resolved, which makes this episode... somewhat substantial, relatively speaking.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You just know some delinquent ewoks stole and ate some of the troopers anyway

Or else the elder ewoks took one look at 'civilized' food and turned their noses up at it, preferring the old ways of eating anyone that landed on their planet

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gelf posted:

We're back to the season 1 length of 15 episodes instead of 22 for this final season yea?

20 episodes I believe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wookieepedia says 16 episodes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sabine's got her final new hair style, and it's longer than the previous ones and gives her a more grown up look

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

drat good episodes today (or tonight, depending on your ability to stream).

Things of note:
- Them just coming out and saying the nice Ithorian dude was executed is refreshing after a few episodes of only vaguely alluding to death
- The new TIE Defender makes some loving sick sounds
- "I was following the white Lothcat" made me guffaw
- Thrawn standing his ground was cool if a bit anti-climactic; I was half-convinced he'd disable the fighter with his pistol right then and there
- The serialized format is working wonders for this show

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Felt these were the strongest episodes of the season. Loved all the alt costumes everyone wore in part one, also weirdly appreciated that they showed Hera's ears. Rebels has seemingly had a weird fear of showing off her female Twi'lek ear cones. Even when she's out of her normal costume, she usually still wore some form of head gear.

So I'm guessing the white lothwolf and lothcat are like the Force animal embodiments of Lothal that are trying to look out for the planet?

Would also like to see more out of Governor Pryce with this plot line, since her selling out Lothal was a bit part of the Thrawn book.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 30, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It kind of amazing how much a better idea the TIE Defender is then the Death Star. It's pretty much why don't we upgrade our standard ships so they aren't crap. And why don't we make them the best ships we can while we are at it. As Thrawn pointed out Ezra is a middling Pilot and the TIE defender let him defeat three much more experienced pilots

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It kind of amazing how much a better idea the TIE Defender is then the Death Star. It's pretty much why don't we upgrade our standard ships so they aren't crap. And why don't we make them the best ships we can while we are at it. As Thrawn pointed out Ezra is a middling Pilot and the TIE defender let him defeat three much more experienced pilots

True. He's only like PS4. That being said, his ability is pretty great. Then again, the defender dial, especially with the white k-turn, and green banks from the Tie Mk 2, isn't that great at racking up stress. Did he have PTL on?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Defender missile racks bother me more than they should.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Loth-Wolf said “Dume”.

Kanan’s birth name is Caleb Dume.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Ahsoka at the Stone Table

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gonz posted:

The Loth-Wolf said “Dume”.

Kanan’s birth name is Caleb Dume.

Of all the death flags he's been throwing, the big two for him would be actually planning marriage to Hera and reclaiming the above.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sabine's new hair :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

teagone posted:

Sabine's new hair :allears:

They've definitely done a much better job of steadily and convincingly aging Ezra and Sabine than they did with Ahsoka and her sudden growth spurt and costume change in Clone Wars

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thrawn totally pulled a patton there, the only thing missing was pearl grips on his blaster. :v:

Also, is it just me or do the imperial gunships (also used by Coruscant police in TCW) warbly noise sound a LOT like the Recognizers from Tron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcyCWEsbsPU&t=101s

edit at the end of the secound episode: Did the wolf say "Doom" or "Dume" (as in Caleb Dume aka Kanan).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 31, 2017

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

edit at the end of the secound episode: Did the wolf say "Doom" or "Dume" (as in Caleb Dume aka Kanan).

Dume, according to the closed captioning.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Madurai posted:

Dume, according to the closed captioning.

Welp throw up another death flag for my favorite Jedi :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ive never watched TCW, does having a wolf say your name mean youre going to die or something?

• Locked thread