Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dr. Fetus posted:

Whoever says Super Mario Odyssey is too easy should just rush to the post-game. Nintendo does not screw around when the kid gloves come off. :gonk:

I remember when I first started Super Mario 3D World, I thought, 'Man, this seems super-easy!' Then I got to World 8, and the post-ending levels, I thought, 'Cripes, this is really hard!'

Dizz posted:

A lot of critics are giving the game poo poo for the bosses not being hard which is a stupid argument since Mario bosses were never hard themselves, but some stages were. The game is practically Mario 64 mixed with Sunshine in terms of feel and environment.

That's another thing I remember from ProJared's review; he said that Mario's move-set was pulled from Mario 64. I don't think he said anything about the bosses being too easy. I remember one of his complaints was about how the collectibles were hidden, but I'd have to watch the review again, because I don't remember everything he said.

Like I said, though, I'm on the fence about getting the Switch. I picked up a PS4 Pro early this year, and I've played with that a lot more than I have the Wii U since I've bought it, but I don't really know why. I want to say it's the controller, and I want to say it's the price point of the games. but I'm still not sure.

Would anyone say that the Switch is an improvement over the Wii U?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Literally everyone would say that.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

switch good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

switch good
I disliked the Wii, was so-so on the WiiU, and love this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Modus Pwnens posted:

Literally everyone would say that.

I love the hell out of the WiiU and it's not even close; the Switch is far and away superior.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the Nintendo Switch will make you breakfast in bed

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Your Computer posted:

the Nintendo Switch will make you breakfast in bed

Warm or cold breakfast?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In news that will surprise nobody (but still surprise them a little if they remember how the Wii U went), Nintendo has raised its forecast for Switch shipments to 14 million units (previously 10 million) by the end of its fiscal year (March 2018). For reference, that'll be more Switches shipped in its first fiscal year than the Wii U has shipped in it's entire lifetime.

If for some reason masturbating over raw numbers is your go, then you can find their Six Months Earnings Release over at Nintendo's Investor Relations site.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Japan released their financial report for the current fiscal year today. Some numbers:

Games sold so far
  1. Breath of the Wild - 4.7 million
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 4.42 million
  3. Splatoon 2 - 3.61 million
  4. 1-2-Switch - 1.37 million
  5. ARMS - 1.35 million

Nintendo expects to sell 16.7 million Switches during this fiscal year ending in March 2018. So far they've sold 4.89 million units of the Switch, so going by these numbers there shouldn't be a shortage of Switches during the Holidays.

Also, expect "more ways" to have "fun" next year.
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/924903180269260801

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So what strap the Switch to my head or something?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where the gently caress is smash brothers

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Gotta use those patents on something.

Regional sales figures.

Splatoon 2 in Japan: 1.56 million Overseas: 2.50 million
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 0.87 million / 3.56 million
ARMS: 0.3 million / 1.05 million

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh you poor, poor fool.

I've found 994 coins how hard can it be to find 6 more????

:negative:

KingSlime posted:

are there any video walkthroughs out yet? you can always go for that

I haven't been able to find any for these levels yet. But I'm hopeful that by the time I've done everything else in this immense game, if I still haven't found them I'll be able to count on some Internet person somewhere to have my back.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Netflix etc, hopefully.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

bango skank posted:

where the gently caress is smash brothers

Sakurai is currently out training in the hyperbolic time chamber so the experience of making smash 5 won't kill him

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Chiming in to +1 the "mario postgame hard". Much like 64 or Sunshine, "getting the minimum required for getting an ending" is pretty trivial but god help you if you want that 100%, doubly so if you want to do it blind.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there ever even the slightest amount of talk in the Smash community of making direction change instant (especially in midair) and doing away with back facing attacks? Or is that an absolutely essential part of Smash’s design?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there ever even the slightest amount of talk in the Smash community of making direction change instant (especially in midair) and doing away with back facing attacks? Or is that an absolutely essential part of Smash’s design?

That'd be weird as hell so I don't think they're going to suddenly change that after 4 games no. I've never even heard anyone ask for that to be honest

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

That wouldn't feel as good to play

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can't believe how hard Nintendo is crushing it with the Switch. The monthly big release strategy is sure to be emulated by others going forward, it's awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m not sure how anyone could complain about bosses. Fighting the Orphan of Kos with Mario’s movesst was hard as hell.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I remember when I first started Super Mario 3D World, I thought, 'Man, this seems super-easy!' Then I got to World 8, and the post-ending levels, I thought, 'Cripes, this is really hard!'

That's another thing I remember from ProJared's review; he said that Mario's move-set was pulled from Mario 64. I don't think he said anything about the bosses being too easy. I remember one of his complaints was about how the collectibles were hidden, but I'd have to watch the review again, because I don't remember everything he said.

Like I said, though, I'm on the fence about getting the Switch. I picked up a PS4 Pro early this year, and I've played with that a lot more than I have the Wii U since I've bought it, but I don't really know why. I want to say it's the controller, and I want to say it's the price point of the games. but I'm still not sure.

I've played my switch more in 8 months than I've played my PS4 or Xbone since their launches combined.*

*I go PC for multiplat titles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rexroom posted:

Warm or cold breakfast?

New splatfest sounds good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know how they sell 11 million more between now and March. They've sold 5 million so far, over the holidays I would imagine that doubling, but they are saying it's gonna triple?

I guess they are launching in other territories in Asia as well and rolling out that simplified Chinese.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not sure how anyone could complain about bosses. Fighting the Orphan of Kos with Mario’s movesst was hard as hell.

What. I would destroy a Bloodborne playthrough as Mario.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wheres the dark souls trilogy port on my switch already, FROM!!!!!!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't know how they sell 11 million more between now and March. They've sold 5 million so far, over the holidays I would imagine that doubling, but they are saying it's gonna triple?

I guess they are launching in other territories in Asia as well and rolling out that simplified Chinese.

You're forgetting that in Japan there are/were* hundreds of people lining up for a chance to buy a Switch.

*(Has stock availability improved there yet?)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also I see hella switches lying around my local places, it's not moving like it used to

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hace posted:

Also I see hella switches lying around my local places, it's not moving like it used to

Right now is the lead-in before Black Friday and Christmas, so people are probably holding off for sales now.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rip Nintendo switch 2017-2017

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oh apparently it's actually 7.63M LTD and it sold 2.93M in the last quarter

Things make a little more sense now

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo Japan released their financial report for the current fiscal year today. Some numbers:

Games sold so far
  1. Breath of the Wild - 4.7 million
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 4.42 million
  3. Splatoon 2 - 3.61 million
  4. 1-2-Switch - 1.37 million
  5. ARMS - 1.35 million

Nintendo expects to sell 16.7 million Switches during this fiscal year ending in March 2018. So far they've sold 4.89 million units of the Switch, so going by these numbers there shouldn't be a shortage of Switches during the Holidays.

Also, expect "more ways" to have "fun" next year.
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/924903180269260801

Just to be clear, that's 4.89 million Switches sold in the past 6 months which of course doesn't include the 3 million they sold in March. The actual number is 7.63 million Switches sold in its entire lifetime (and of course that doesn't include anything that sold in the month of October either)

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 30, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm surfacing for air to say that Mario Odyssey is incredibly good. It's just ridiculously charming, and every Kingdom brings something new to the table in some way or another. Despite being kind of short, I'll probably feel a similar melancholy at the end to what I felt when I completed Wind Waker.

They also finally figured out the correct way to do a water level, which is to Capture a fish and just not care about air at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm surfacing for air to say that Mario Odyssey is incredibly good. It's just ridiculously charming, and every Kingdom brings something new to the table in some way or another. Despite being kind of short, I'll probably feel a similar melancholy at the end to what I felt when I completed Wind Waker.

They also finally figured out the correct way to do a water level, which is to Capture a fish and just not care about air at all.

You think it's short? You have but begun to play :allears:.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once you beat the story SMO becomes the absolute perfect Switch game. I can turn it down, hunt a couple of stars, then put it away knowing I accomplished a little bit. Or I can turn it on and spend 12 hours exploring for COINS and stars.

This game is so loving good.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 30, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or I can turn it on and spend 12 hours exploring for Coons and stars.

:staredog:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's 14 million this fiscal year and 16.7 million in total if the amount from the Switch's launch from the previous fiscal year is included. So about 7-8 million until the end of March.

For comparison, the PS4 shipped 13.5 million units in its first year through a tier system for different regions with priority given to the Americas, Europe, and Oceania. The Switch is mostly making up the difference due to a much stronger performance in Japan.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I hope that was a one-letter-typo off "Coins" and not an autocorrect :magical:

But yeah it only looks short until you hit the endgame and realize that (no plot spoilers)not only are you only somewhere around 1/2-2/3rds done even if you were being a completionist, but the remaining ones are the ones that are gonna be a bitch to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

autocorrect is a bitch, ain't it

• Locked thread