Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Like before, I've provided a video for this segment so you can watch the scenes and voice clips. (Personally I think there's some great voicework here)

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Ugh...it'd be bad if I bit my tongue again...so I'll speak slowly... Judging from the results...
: You guys were correct again! Getting four in a row without any mistakes is a splendid achievement!
: That's right, the one who killed the robotic Nekomaru in the amazing Funhouse...
: ...was Gundham Tanaka!
: ...Yay! I said all that without bitin' my tongue!

: Now that we've decided who the killer is, let's do the execution already and get this over with.
: Hold on... It's true the class trial is finished but...that doesn't mean the incident is over...
: We can't finish yet until we hear it from Gundham!

: Hmph, no matter what he says, it won't change a thing... Well, I have no right to stop you either...so do whatever you like.
: ...Why do you want to talk to one who has lost? The loser merely leaves... It would be unnecessary for me to say something...

: ...Is what I would like to say, but for honor's sake, I shall correct one thing!
: ...Correct?

Music fades out.

: You guys said I made Nekomaru powerless without fighting him... That, however, is a great mistake.

...Huh?

: Nekomaru did fight...that is no mistake... And because he fought, he lost...and died.
: L-Lost and died...?
: If he was just trying to cling to life, there are many ways he could have done so... However... he did not allow that...
: Wh-What do you mean...!? Explain...!

: Fine then... Then I shall reveal it all...
: Within the Final Dead Room, I discovered the secret of the Funhouse... And I devised a killing plan utilizing that secret... By tampering with all the clocks in the building, I succeeded in luring Nekomaru to the tower...and this is what happened.

: Nekomaru and I were alone in the tower, standing face-to-face with one another.
: Hmph, I should say I expected as much from Nekomaru... He sensed my subtle killing intent, and instantly understood the situation.
: And...we had ourselves a staredown. In that situation...if he wanted to run away, it would have been easy for him to do so. He could have run away...or even called for help... But...he did not turn his back to me. Instead...he chose a fight that riskes life and death.

: A fight...that risked life and death...?
: He was serious, too. He gave it his all to try to kill me...
: ...Huh!?
: Kehehe... If I had died instead, the mystery surrounding the case would've been even more complicated... You would never know why I, the victim, went to the tower by myself...
: Nobody would know that the victim, me, was actually the one who planned the whole thing!

: Mechamaru...really did that?
: ...

: Sensing even my subtle killing intent... As expected of you, Nekomaru.
: This scorching, stinging, tense atmosphere... I've been a team manager for so long, I'd nearly forgotten this... This is great! What a comforting atmosphere!
: ...Hmmm, that's a great line.
: And what is your reason? Do you intend to resolve this situation by killing me?
: Heh... Fuhahaha! I am the warlock, Gundham Tanaka... Heroes, lords of darkness, and even the gods themselves flee from me... I need not cling to any trivial reason! I'm simply going to kill you because your very existence is an annoyance!
: Gaaahahahaha! You'll drench your soul with evil until the bitter end, huh...? SPLENDID! In response to your spirit...I shall kill you with all of my might! I won't go easy on you! Don't even think about holding back! Don't waste your breath on cowardly tactics! Give me everything you've got!
: Nekomaru Nidai! Your blood will drench the foundation of my empire!

: Wh-Why...? Why did you fight...? We are all friends... Why couldn't you stop this!? Even if both sides agreed... It was still wrong!
: Hmph... I will not argue... I have no intention of forcing my values upon you.

: However, I must say this! What's the point of living if you're just waiting until you finally die?
: There's nothing courageous about that! That is abandonment! A mere feeling of resignation!
: ...!

: Wait! Are you telling us to just wait until we starve to death!?
: ...I'd rather...have that happen to us...than have our friends kill each other...
: ...Huh? Do you mean that you'd rather die?

: Ever since we were locked inside that building, everyone had been dominated by that feeling of abandonment... However...nothing is born from resignation. That is simply a reason to give up.
: Giving up on life... That's just an insult to life itself!
: Have you fools heard of the term, "dog eat dog?"
: ...Cannibalism?
: In zoology, cannibalism is a commonly observed phenomenon... Many creatures at some point in their life span engage in cannibalism.

: That is what it means to live! If you say killing for the sake of living is "evil," then what would you call giving up on life itself?
: If a world would consider that justice, then I will fight that world with every fiber of my being! Giving up on life and choosing death...is nothing but a blasphemy toward life.
: It is a violation of the natural order! It is the arrogance of humanity!

: A-Are you sayin' all that to try to justify what you did...!?
: But it sounds like Nekomaru felt the same, too. That's why they fought, right?
: ...Ugh!

: That man...had the courage to die when he needed to die. That is why he challenged me to our battle...
: Regardless...as I've already said, I do not intend to force my values upon you fools. I have betrayed you all... That is the absolute truth...
: But...even so... Don't you think it's a better alternative to slowly starving to death here...?

: That belief...is why you committed your crime...
: Hey, what about the Final Dead Room? Did you do the Russian Roulette too?
: Unlike Nagito, I only did it once but...
: Hmph, compared to my battle with Nekomaru, that was mere child's play.
: ...

: You know, after listening to you talk for a while, I'm starting to think that... Well, it's also because you unexpectedly admitted your crime without much resistance...
: Gundham, don't tell me you... You didn't sacrifice yourself for our sake, did you...?
: Hmph...I can't believe you would ask such a foolish question.

: Just who do you think I am!? I am Gundham Tanaka, history's greatest monster! My cursed existence is feared by all mankind! There's no way I'd sacrifice myself for the sake of you fools!
: Not in a million, not in a billion, not in 10,000 billion years! In the name of Pandaemonium, it is impossible!
: Is that it...? Then...I'll just leave it at that...
: Now then, let us be rid of this foolish talk. It's about time the fun started...!

: Monokuma! Let us begin!
: Yaaaay, got it!
: I have prepared a special punishment for the Ultimate Breeder, Gundham Tanaka...

: P-Please wait! This...this is just too much! Please, Monokuma! Please help Gundham!
: M-Miss Sonia...
: Please! I beg of you!

: Sonia... An act as unrefined as stopping a man from going to his death...does not befit a noble such as yourself.
: G-Gundham...!
: Um, it's fine to start for reals, right?

: Yes, I do not mind...however...

Music cuts out.

: ...What is it, my Four Dark Devas of Destruction?

: Are you worried about me? Oh, my feared Four Dark Devas of Destruction, that is not like you at all... However, there is no need to fear... In this world, I am only a temporary visitor...

: I was simply visiting for a moment...and now that my duty is complete, I must return to the darkness... That is why, until the very end...

: Pride! Conceit! Courage! Insolence! Fearful of nothing! Daunted by nothing!

: Let us laugh uproariously! Fuhahahahaha!

: That is Gundham Tanaka! I shall stick with my evil until the very end! Open Sesame, Pandaemonium! I shall fill hell with true hell!

: FUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Let's give it everything we've got! It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What was that bullshit execution, in a game that has a kid deep fried, and another one slashed to death by swords?

Gundham is one of the worst characters and I'm glad he's dead. I'm annoyed that someone said that I should watch all the trial videos because the voice acting gets good, because it really doesn't get any better than it has been prior, especially with Gundham. Nagito has at least been fun.

I hope Sonia adopts the hamsters. Gundham is the worst.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

eating only apples posted:

What was that bullshit execution, in a game that has a kid deep fried, and another one slashed to death by swords?

Gundham is one of the worst characters and I'm glad he's dead. I'm annoyed that someone said that I should watch all the trial videos because the voice acting gets good, because it really doesn't get any better than it has been prior, especially with Gundham. Nagito has at least been fun.

I hope Sonia adopts the hamsters. Gundham is the worst.

The difference between best character (Komaeda) and 2nd best (Gundham) may seem so vast that it throws everything out of scale, but Gundham is still absolutely wonderful.

His parting speech was the best thing. It's hard to tell how much of his posturing was just for his own pride, and how much might have been to try and help everyone else go forward without any regrets about him dying. But it's fun to think about. And Nekomaru accepting the challenge to have an honest deathmatch for the sake of survival makes this one of my favorite murder motives in the end. I like that even though it's the most bullshit motive Monokuma's ever pulled, literally trapping them and forcing their hand more than ever, we still ended up with some great character moments and one of the best post-trial sections in the series.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, that was new. I get being killed by animals for irony, but normally the deaths have been depressing jabs at the killers while Gundham looks at peace with all of this and gets an inspiring angel treatment. It feels....

off.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was more glorious than I ever could have imagined. Gundham is objectively good.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh, that was new. I get being killed by animals for irony, but normally the deaths have been depressing jabs at the killers while Gundham looks at peace with all of this and gets an inspiring angel treatment. It feels....

off.

In my eyes I've always thought of this as a bad death for him. He wanted to go to hell with his evil. Instead, he's going to (animal)heaven.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FPzero posted:

In my eyes I've always thought of this as a bad death for him. He wanted to go to hell with his evil. Instead, he's going to (animal)heaven.

I think the point of it was an insult to his persona, yeah. His powers are rubbish, and animals really just like him because he's a sweet boy, no matter how much he tries not to be.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Revolver Anidav posted:

The difference between best character (Komaeda) and 2nd best (Gundham) may seem so vast that it throws everything out of scale, but Gundham is still absolutely wonderful.

Nope he is actually the worst character after the pervert chef.

gently caress Gundham. Just the worst. I honestly cannot stand him and any of his bullshit. Do yall think he's cute because sometimes he gets embarrassed when people pretend to like him?? Still awful, still gently caress that guy. Glad he's dead. Next! Who am I kidding we got our survivors right here, gently caress I was hoping Kazuichi would bite it at some point

e: I like Akane a lot

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

RIP suicide pact bros

manly motherfuckers to the very end

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

gently caress Gundham. Just the worst. I honestly cannot stand him and any of his bullshit. Do yall think he's cute because sometimes he gets embarrassed when people pretend to like him?? Still awful, still gently caress that guy. Glad he's dead. Next! Who am I kidding we got our survivors right here, gently caress I was hoping Kazuichi would bite it at some point

Maybe you could calm down a little and explain why you don't like him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FoolyCharged posted:

off.

Keep in mind that he just had a huge speech abou-

FPzero posted:

Yeah, this.

Reminds me of Dragon Ball Z where King Yemma realizes Dabura would like Hell, so he sends him to Heaven "just to mess with him".

How do you find him more unpleasant than Hiyoko? He's just an animal breeder that acts over the top to hide the fact that he doesn't really have friends. It's basically just Ishimaru's thing, only with overdramatic declarations.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 30, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He even went to the trouble of drawing a fancy pentagram to turn himself into a demon or something, then nope, animal heaven for you good boy.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Do yall think he's cute because sometimes he gets embarrassed when people pretend to like him??

I'm pretty sure Sonia's not pretending.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

fractalairduct posted:

Maybe you could calm down a little and explain why you don't like him?

telling people on the internet to calm down when they disagree with you, a+!

I don't like him because he's boring, his voice acting is bad, his personality is horrible, and because everyone fawns over him when sometimes he drops the act and does "gundham-blush.jpg". If he had remotely behaved that way when he was shown to have murdered someone, I might've had a bit of sympathy. He's a moron and I don't know why people love him.

I was vaguely spoiled on this death by:
a former LP superstar gettin mad that her ~*~favourite character~*~ did a murder in c4, and there was only one character that could be

Glad I wasn't wrong.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How do you find him more unpleasant than Hiyoko? He's just an animal breeder that acts over the top to hide the fact that he doesn't really have friends. It's basically just Ishimaru's thing, only with overdramatic declarations.

Hiyoko was fun to watch and didn't hide when she was affected by something. And she was unpredictable. Gundham did nothing worth talking about. Just endless bullshit nonsense. Akane has it right in the trial. He just never stops.

I liked Ishimaru a lot and I see where you're coming from but everything about Tanaka rubs me the wrong way, I just can't stand him. Maybe it's because it's an attempt at Ishimaru's thing, but with none of the charm and none of the redemption.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2017

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
RIP Gundham. You were my favorite character in this game. I actually kinda like his death, too. It was heroic, both in motive and in execution. It doesn’t really match the theme of the games, but I think it still matches. It’s out of left field for a character that’s out of left field. And say what you want about his posturing, he sorta proved in the end how brave he was by facing his death with dignity. The dignity he pretty much threw away acting like a huge nerd all the time, but hey, he tried.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like the animal angels is a reference to Nocturne's Game Over screen.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

I feel like the animal angels is a reference to Nocturne's Game Over screen.

I figured it was a play off of All Dogs Go To Heaven, just extended to all animals.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

telling people on the internet to calm down when they disagree with you, a+!

You've been repeatedly coming into the thread and posting nothing but 'Gundham is the worst and I hope he dies/am glad he's dead'. You're allowed to not like Gundham, that's fine, but it was getting really tedious hearing the same thing over and over with no actual explanation. Which you've given us now, and I agree, he does seem like a one-note character. It seems like most people find that note to be a lot of fun, but if you don't, that's cool too.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think gundham is good, but being a gundham hater at least makes more sense than being a nagito hater, which is definitely not allowed

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

fractalairduct posted:

You've been repeatedly coming into the thread and posting nothing but 'Gundham is the worst and I hope he dies/am glad he's dead'. You're allowed to not like Gundham, that's fine, but it was getting really tedious hearing the same thing over and over with no actual explanation. Which you've given us now, and I agree, he does seem like a one-note character. It seems like most people find that note to be a lot of fun, but if you don't, that's cool too.

Um?? Do you wanna look at my posts and come back to me there, buddy? I've barely mentioned him before today apart from one post back in September. Like feel free to call me out on my lovely posts but don't just lie.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This wasn't the post trial reaction I was expecting!

Gundham has just been... there for me during the LP, he didn't seem to pop up too much to make a lasting impression. Cute hamsters though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The execution designers for DR1 and DR2 were different. Which does explain the toning down of how gruesome DR2's are; Chapter 3 and 4 had visibly less squicky ones.

Now to be fair, Celes' execution in DR1 didn't have blood or anything either, but you could at least get the sense of some suffering.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think gundham is good, but being a gundham hater at least makes more sense than being a nagito hater, which is definitely not allowed

it's me i hate nagito

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can still bearly understand how eating only apples hated Gundham.

Like for one thing calling his voice acting awful is just blatantly untrue.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ApplesandOranges posted:

The execution designers for DR1 and DR2 were different. Which does explain the toning down of how gruesome DR2's are; Chapter 3 and 4 had visibly less squicky ones.

Now to be fair, Celes' execution in DR1 didn't have blood or anything either, but you could at least get the sense of some suffering.

Honestly, the most gruesome execution was the very first. None of the others have really topped the poor kid thrown into a life and death situation getting dragged off to his death screaming while his classmates look on horrified.

Probably for the better really.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly, the most gruesome execution was the very first. None of the others have really topped the poor kid thrown into a life and death situation getting dragged off to his death screaming while his classmates look on horrified.

:agreed:

Chapter 1 of this game came close, though. Just cause the lava thing seems especially horrifying to me. Plus the goofy tempura coating was such a sick little twist on top.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like for one thing calling his voice acting awful is just blatantly untrue.
I guess it's a hatred of over-the-top theatrics, but if you hate that why the hell are you reading/playing danganronpa?

Selane
May 19, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hate this game, I hate the plot and every single character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Before or after the fire truck?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gundham was annoying and his gimmick was annoying, but he did go out like a champ at least.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

FPzero posted:

it's me i hate nagito

We need a new LPer

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Looks like the dead pool guesses are still doing okay: while Gundham was not the leading candidate for votes in either pool (Souda Kazuichi in the spoiled & Nanami Chiaki for the unspoiled) he was near the top (though the margin is pretty close in the unspoiled group). Which means Souda is probably next if the crowd's wisdom is to be believed; Akane is potentially gone too.

I can only hope -- those are my least favorite of those that remain. Souda's not really a bad character so much as a nothing character, but he's also a pervert, so I'm fine with him going out. Akane seems to only have two modes - dumb and angry.

I didn't really like Gundham's character at all but I do think the VA did a good job with the growing sense of defeat in this trial.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

off.

FPzero posted:

Keep in mind that Mikan's execution was literally just a lethal injection followed by a bizarre drug hallucination/orgasm metaphor. The DR2 executions seem to care about spectacle more than brutality. I'm perfectly willing to believe that being able to be with all of his animal friends in the afterlife is secretly exactly what Gundham wanted.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like the voice acting here, where Gundham went full ham in his final speech. Him going to heaven has been pointed out, so I'll just say that I feel sorry for Sonia and the Four Dark Devas. :( I got into a speculation discussion in the thread earlier about this being considered a suicide by murder as a reference to chapter 4 of DR1, and I guess it was right. I still really don't see it myself, since I think self-sacrificing yourself shouldn't drag others down with you, but that's just me. :v:

The real twist for me is that apparently Mechamaru was okay with a fight to the death and how gung-ho he was. The hell was Mechamaru up to before he became a coach?

ApplesandOranges posted:

The one that really got to me was Mondo's execution. Having the guy go round and round in that speedy death trap was bad enough, but the ending where we see the tub of Mondo Butter was worse. Just the implication that Mondo's gooey remains were inside it really made me nauseous.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

amigolupus posted:

The real twist for me is that apparently Mechamaru was okay with a fight to the death and how gung-ho he was. The hell was Mechamaru up to before he became a coach?

As a coach he was upset that his "team" had accepted defeat, just like Gundham was. They essentially had the same motive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wow. Ghundam talking about priiiiiiide in a voice that would make Scar proud, then being killed in a stampede where the music starts with what is undoubtedly a reference to The lion sleeps tonight.

That was actually... strangely appropriate. And I'm a bit surprised that I am the first to bring this up.

Edit: I mean, look at Mussafah and Ghundam. On the one hand we have a being that looks dangerous, roars a lot, but when point comes to shove, he's a very kind-hearted protector of all animals under his watch. And on the other... well you get the point.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 30, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Before or after the fire truck?

She was clearly sweating and the heat was getting to her. The fire truck was the despair (since she wanted to go out like Marie Antoinette), but while she was putting on a great face in the face of pain beforehand she was definitely suffering (and revelling in it).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can I take a bet on the next case? I think Souda's going to crack and either murder someone or straight up murder Sonia since she's clearly not interested in him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Obviously Negito is going to target Hajime for not being special and we'll switch to a new POV character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Watching the update video, I'm actually mildly surprised that Gundham's problem with the "Mechamaru didn't fight back" theory wasn't that it painted Gundham as a coward who attacked Mechamaru from behind, but rather that it cast shade on Mechamaru for being weak and allowing himself to be defeated easily.

• Locked thread