Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/TF73oKb.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Moot

Pluto

In toto

"...he cannot bring himself to recognize that he might be wrong about a great many things."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TheGremlich, self-basting Latin scholar and scientist.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Ah, the taxidermist preparing this cat for a right royal stuffing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Spiderdrake posted:

Isn't there sliding in Crysis 2 and parkour like elements, or am I thinking of FEAR, which was released like a million years ago

Brink had some fancy footwork in it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Huh, I hadn't realized before now that there was a refund subreddit for Elite. In the spirit of helping out Angry_Pacifist, I stopped by and doubled the number of posts this month. It's a real hotbed of activity over there! :v:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Moddable multiplayer is not a Lie until Star Citizen releases in full. You can say you doubt its coming, but saying its a Lie makes you look stupid and someone with an agenda. With VR they are right this second actively adding elements of VR (trackIR) to the game in loving prealpha. You guys look insane.

Welcome Commando! How much you in for?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Also, this is Elite Dangerous, VR in their 3.4 beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0L_2go7mcI

3 years ago.

Playing SC in VR now (using a 3rd party hack) will make you sick. Mouse move will have to be detached from headlook, and this single functionality alone, when modified should break the game completely.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
But Chris Roberts said their engineers had solved the fundamental issue of VR with their FoV stabilization technology, it's just they're too busy working on procgen planets to implement it just yet.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

no_recall posted:

Also, this is Elite Dangerous, VR in their 3.4 beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0L_2go7mcI

3 years ago.

Playing SC in VR now (using a 3rd party hack) will make you sick. Mouse move will have to be detached from headlook, and this single functionality alone, when modified should break the game completely.

They are going to start focussing on VR in Jan 2016 which is right around the corner

https://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-to-refocus-on-vr-support-in-early-2016/

Also the mobiglass is totally VR compatible

https://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-vr-support-virtual-reality-oculus-rift-htc-vive/amp/

And unlike that other space game which uses a 2d UI Star Citizen uses a 3d UI because you cannot read 2d in VR:

"Because we will be a VR capable game, we’re kind of forced to project the UI in 3D space, because otherwise it just wouldn’t work. In a traditional flat 2D menu you just wouldn’t be able to read it."

VR is almost done

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

They are going to start focussing on VR in Jan 2016 which is right around the corner

https://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-to-refocus-on-vr-support-in-early-2016/

Also the mobiglass is totally VR compatible

https://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-vr-support-virtual-reality-oculus-rift-htc-vive/amp/

And unlike that other space game which uses a 2d UI Star Citizen uses a 3d UI because you cannot read 2d in VR:

"Because we will be a VR capable game, we’re kind of forced to project the UI in 3D space, because otherwise it just wouldn’t work. In a traditional flat 2D menu you just wouldn’t be able to read it."

VR is almost done

I like this:

roadtovr posted:

Star Citizen may be the world’s most ambitious Early Access project (and quite possibly the next textbook example of Development Hell).

Star Citizen : The Next Star Ship Textbook Example Of Development Hell

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

VR is almost done

Gosh, with 99% of the game "almost done" and every feature that hasn't been released actually being only days away from being playable, I bet 3.0 will pretty much be the last release of the game they need to do!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

3. The dont hold your breath was a junior lighting artist who doesnt know poo poo. Since then CIG has made several statements contradicting Parry and are implementing TrackIR in prep for VR. There is no reason to believe VR isn't coming.

Actually, Ben Parry is Senior Graphics Programmer at Foundry 42, and has some experience with space games / VR, as before he moved there he worked on some little game that kinda does VR well called Elite: Dangerous.

You can't just rewrite reality if it doesn't align with your arguments you know...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
You can rewrite reality, its called CitizenCon.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Moddable multiplayer is not a Lie until Star Citizen releases in full. You can say you doubt its coming, but saying its a Lie makes you look stupid and someone with an agenda. With VR they are right this second actively adding elements of VR (trackIR) to the game in loving prealpha. You guys look insane.

Your right of course nothing CIG say is a lie until such time as a release occurs and the feature is absent and provably so.
However this is also nicely covered by the prealpha assertion. That’s a 5 year prealpha. Once again that’s a …5 …year…pre…alpha. Not even alpha
So despite the fact you obviously don’t understand how video game are made let me ask you 3 things

1) Can you flag other games that have been this long in pre alpha ? That have been successfully released
2) From what you have seen so far of the disjointed tech demos that CIG have put forward after 5 years in the pre alpha phase are you genuinely happy and excited by what you have seen and are you having fun playing the game?
3) At what point do you decide that enough is enough and although not a scam , at some stage this project has lost its way and is now so far from what you initially pledged that you are either happy to write off you cash or will attempt a refund.

If in your heart of hearts you are genuinely pleased with CIG and where they are at and this isn’t just a pathetic Derek Smart versus Chris Roberts thing then you deserve to be left alone to enjoy your experience with Star Citizen. And I’ll see you in the verse

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I come back from getting probed for annoying Lowtax and FAU in the NeoGAF GBS thread, just to see how many of you guys making effort posts at ball sack man?

SMH

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
It's incredible that CIG has been able to maintain this sort of cash flow. It really speaks to the level of psychological trauma goons inflicted on these people in EVE: Online

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

To be fair anything that yields an eightace effort post is a just cause. Although him in an argument about SC is like having an MG42 in a knife fight.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/924020485695746048

Can somebody link me to the time in the stream when this happened? (The media player bit)

I might have missed it while skipping so many terrible posts in the thread.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

AP posted:

Can somebody link me to the time in the stream when this happened? (The media player bit)

:same:

I only watched about 15 minutes before I got bored and would like to see that.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I don't think they were trying to pretend that the tool demos were live. I recall Sean Tracy asking the dude to load up the next video.

And they had fade transitions and abrupt cuts throughout.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It was during the 8 min load screen

And no they didn't try to hide it. But that doesn't make any of it better really.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why would you care if the tools are demonstrated live. Why would anybody even do that. They were just slides for his talk.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/D4RK_4NG3L/status/924815031572877312

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Why would you care if the tools are demonstrated live. Why would anybody even do that. They were just slides for his talk.

He is the Wahlord after all.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The loading screen and menu have great FPS.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AP posted:

Regrettable posted:

:same:

I only watched about 15 minutes before I got bored and would like to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvtgQiaOJ4&t=2335s roughly 39 minutes in — look for the WMP controls at the bottom of the stream feed.
Now, as much as I agree that it wouldn't make sense to show that live, there's still the point that 1) don't show the media controls during a presentation, and 2) citizens will point to that demo and dribble “see, it's all in the game already”.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvtgQiaOJ4&t=2335s roughly 39 minutes in — look for the WMP controls at the bottom of the stream feed.
Now, as much as I agree that it wouldn't make sense to show that live, there's still the point that 1) don't show the media controls during a presentation, and 2) citizens will point to that demo and dribble “see, it's all in the game already”.

Thank you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

en Toto en Dasher en Donna en Blitzen

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

en Toto en Dasher en Donna en Blitzen

I'll bless the reins down in Africa

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

AP posted:

I don't. And that wasn't the point of my commentary.

1) Anyone who was watching saw that it wasn't being presented as presentation slides (as was done in the previous sessions at the show), so the expectation was that it was live. Just like the planetary tech they showed live in 2016

2) Then we noticed that it was pre-recorded and played back; with the narrative on top of it. Of course the other side of that is had they shown how he actually got all those tile sets ready for that moment, it would be immediately seen that is a loving LOT OF WORK! And that's just to setup a single presentation planet.

I am certain that had the media player controls not been visible, we'd be debating with Shitizens - again - about why none of that was in real time. Just like we are now about the procgen city which they were already creaming themselves saying it was all interactive, they'd be running around down there, landing and running inside cookie-cutter buildings etc.

Smoke & mirrors. That was the point of my commentary.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ahmini
May 5, 2009
The sad thing about all these contracted out demos is that you just know the CRobbler goes to his own poor downtrodden devs afterwards, "Look this third party company knocked out some great looking stuff in only a few weeks! Why are you taking so long?"

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I have no idea why user Clemens is permabanned but he is pretty good at what he does
Good job commando

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

8 core Ryzen and 980ti, average 18 FPS.

This is ready for release. MVP. No refunds!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Basically cig will continue doing this until the end of days.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I thought this might have been from SC and that they had finally come up with something other than <<USE>>.

SomethingJones posted:

You know, there's things like VAULTING and uh, you know SLIDING and uh, different kinds of... STANCES that we have and there's... a lot more WEAPONS that we have... and they're all getting rolled out and we're HONING it and you guys are gonna be playing it in 2.2 and 2.3 and 2.4, and... then, uh, when we've got that basic set, we... together we will sort of... turn on the MAP for Star Marine...

https://starcitizentracker.github.io has "Gunplay vaulting" and "Gunplay mantling" but nothing about sliding. I'm adding it today, thanks.

Speaking of the tracker; the expectation "Nothing in-game you can only buy with real money" looking more and more broken imo:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

This gun is loving ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

CIG is completely incapable of creating anything without massive over complication. Space ships? Superfluous pointy bits everywhere. Space gun? Bolt a bunch of extra poo poo on it, don't consider for even a second the ergonomics or practicality.

In fairness they know what they're doing. It's probably not going to end up in the game, or matter if it does, but if it looks cool they can milk a few more bucks from the damaged true believers.