Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'd been having trouble with keeper of the old lords in a FRC chalice but finally remembered augur exists and clowned the poo poo out of him. Then it was onward to the next boss....

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCreativeAyeayeWholeWheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Splatooning bosses with the buffed augur is the highlight of any aspiring arcane build.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boogalo posted:

I'd been having trouble with keeper of the old lords in a FRC chalice but finally remembered augur exists and clowned the poo poo out of him. Then it was onward to the next boss....

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCreativeAyeayeWholeWheat

lol the UG pulled that same thing on CJacobs during his last stream. Visions of Capra Demon.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I got to the Forbidden Woods on my ARC character, and I seemed to remember that there was a semi-useful Arcane gem in the cave leading to Iosefka's clinic, so I got in that narrow rock corridor for the first time since 2015 and gently caress I HATE THOSE MAGGOTS. To make matters worse, I killed a few of them and 2 of the giants, then thought "I'll unlock the shortcut to Iosefka's before I go further, so if I die, I won't have to go through the woods", but apparently discovering the clinic or opening the shortcut to the first lamp resets the enemies, so when I got back to the cave, all the maggots and giants had respawned. I kited them all out of the narrow passage and tried to fight them, but after using my last blood vial I knew I wouldn't make it, so I used Adella's blood, ran to the end for the gem, ran back, popped an antidote and Iosefka's blood and managed to get out with a sliver of health left. Then I got killed by a dog back in the woods because I forgot that they'd respawned.

But hey, I got the gem, the Cainhurst summons and the tonsil stone (unrelated), so Executioner's Glove and Augur, here I come!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

CordlessPen posted:

I got to the Forbidden Woods on my ARC character, and I seemed to remember that there was a semi-useful Arcane gem in the cave leading to Iosefka's clinic, so I got in that narrow rock corridor for the first time since 2015 and gently caress I HATE THOSE MAGGOTS.

There's actually a hole that will drop you right exactly where that Arcane gem is so you just have to dodge roll out. It is just flat out not worth fighting anything down there.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, I fell down that hole once, but I got maggoted in a second and a half, so this time I thought that it would be safer to kill them one or two at a time outside of the passage, but with the poison floor, constantly getting hit despite my best efforts at dodging and the surprise respawned enemies, I ran out of vials before I was done.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

There's actually a hole that will drop you right exactly where that Arcane gem is so you just have to dodge roll out. It is just flat out not worth fighting anything down there.

:agreed:

I also learned time ago that you can just ignore the bloodlickers in Cainhurst and they will ignore you so yeah, gently caress fighting them unless you have a righteous weapon ready.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've played almost 300 hours of this game and gave no fuckin drat clue where that hole is, or that it even existed until just now

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Guillermus posted:

I also learned time ago that you can just ignore the bloodlickers in Cainhurst and they will ignore you so yeah, gently caress fighting them unless you have a righteous weapon ready.

It's always amazing to me that the Cainhurst ticks are so much more of a pain in the rear end than the Old Hunters ones. They're horrendous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may be because they're passive but once struck in combat won't give you a second while the ones in the DLC are less aggressive.

Nothing in souls games can top winter lanterns for me. They're a timed fight against an horrible death.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've played almost 300 hours of this game and gave no fuckin drat clue where that hole is, or that it even existed until just now

When you enter the cave from Forbidden Woods, head left instead of straight ahead and down to the poison lake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It's always amazing to me that the Cainhurst ticks are so much more of a pain in the rear end than the Old Hunters ones. They're horrendous.

The Cainhurst ones are skinny and hungry while the fat rear end Nightmare ones live in a river of blood and have a good time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Guillermus posted:

It may be because they're passive but once struck in combat won't give you a second while the ones in the DLC are less aggressive.

JBP posted:

The Cainhurst ones are skinny and hungry while the fat rear end Nightmare ones live in a river of blood and have a good time.

These are great mechanical and contextual explanations, respectively.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Still, bloodlickers of any variety are significantly less awful once you learn to hug the dead zones on their flanks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the really fat one outside of Cainhurst that can barely even move and doesn't attack you at all. That dude had some fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

These are great mechanical and contextual explanations, respectively.

It doesn't make any sense then because the skinny Cainhurst ones are passive towards you (they don't follow until you attack them) while the nightmare ones, being busy on the blood river will aggro from a generous distance. Shouldn't the fat ones just ignore you and keep drinking their mountain dew instead? Going for the minigun and amy's arm is by far the worst part since they can be annoying while in Cainhurst there's nothing worth looting and they pretty much can't be arsed to attack.

It could be because the skinny ones are weak they don't follow but they're more agressive and harder to kill so I don't know, I need more insight to explain this.

Darth Walrus posted:

Still, bloodlickers of any variety are significantly less awful once you learn to hug the dead zones on their flanks.

I learned the hard way that you shouldn't try to dodge to their back and just do a front-left dodge and punish the side. Also having a righteous weapon upgraded helps a lot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They're fleas

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

It doesn't make any sense then because the skinny Cainhurst ones are passive towards you (they don't follow until you attack them) while the nightmare ones, being busy on the blood river will aggro from a generous distance. Shouldn't the fat ones just ignore you and keep drinking their mountain dew instead? Going for the minigun and amy's arm is by far the worst part since they can be annoying while in Cainhurst there's nothing worth looting and they pretty much can't be arsed to attack.

It could be because the skinny ones are weak they don't follow but they're more agressive and harder to kill so I don't know, I need more insight to explain this.

I learned the hard way that you shouldn't try to dodge to their back and just do a front-left dodge and punish the side. Also having a righteous weapon upgraded helps a lot.

The fat ones are just territorial. They’ve found a wonderful, infinite supply of blood, and if you don’t gently caress off and leave them alone right now, they’ll spit it at you until you do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Castle Cainhurst is literally Castlevania, is what this thread taught me, because you have Fleamen and hidden magic passages and a Blood Sword and Death is the boss. It’s pretty dope.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
So my STR/ARC character doesn't have an Arcane weapon yet, and putting early points into Arcane has really made the mid game rather difficult. I'm just sticking to Hunter Axe until I can get the sword, currently in Lower Pthumerian chalice and had to call in for an assist to take down the Undead Giant with chains on his back. Having 25 ARC that would have rather been put into strength or skill or just more health makes tearing through even normal critters take more hits than I'd like but I'm hoping it'll pay off in the long run and make NG+ more fun. Even killing that trio of hunters in Yahar'Gul was a massive pain though I did somehow manage to beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst, finishing Eileen's story for the first time ever.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Guillermus posted:

Nothing in souls games can top winter lanterns for me. They're a timed fight against an horrible death.

I used to despise them too, but I've gotten a lot better at handling them. Run up, hit them, dodge one grab attack, finish them off, pop a Sedative. I don't think there's any stretch where you see more than maybe 4-5 of them, so running out of Sedatives shouldn't be a problem.

I've come around to really liking their design and their place in the game. I think they provide an element of panic almost like a survival horror game in that your usual defenses feel useless against them, and Bloodborne as a whole definitely seems more into those aspects than the other Souls games.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Cultisto posted:

So my STR/ARC character doesn't have an Arcane weapon yet, and putting early points into Arcane has really made the mid game rather difficult. I'm just sticking to Hunter Axe until I can get the sword, currently in Lower Pthumerian chalice and had to call in for an assist to take down the Undead Giant with chains on his back. Having 25 ARC that would have rather been put into strength or skill or just more health makes tearing through even normal critters take more hits than I'd like but I'm hoping it'll pay off in the long run and make NG+ more fun. Even killing that trio of hunters in Yahar'Gul was a massive pain though I did somehow manage to beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst, finishing Eileen's story for the first time ever.

I got to the same Undead Giant with my ARC character yesterday and I actually enjoyed fighting it for the first time ever, mostly because the Ludwig's Holy Blade's moveset lets you get in a nice rythm of dodging through its chains and charging an R2, then getting the gently caress out. I did cheese the end of the fight with the Executioner's Glove because he gets really aggressive at low health.

I completely destroyed Amygdala (the story version) with the Glove, I'm really starting to see the fun of the ARC build. Uses a shitload of vials though...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Riddle me this thread. Is forbidden woods the token fromsoft bad swamp zone in this game or is it the nightmare frontier? Because forbidden woods goes on waaaay too long and nightmare frontier has no rusted iron ring and winter lanterns. If only there was some way to combine them into the best swamp experience this side of pre-patch amana

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FauxGateau posted:

Riddle me this thread. Is forbidden woods the token fromsoft bad swamp zone in this game or is it the nightmare frontier? Because forbidden woods goes on waaaay too long and nightmare frontier has no rusted iron ring and winter lanterns. If only there was some way to combine them into the best swamp experience this side of pre-patch amana

There's also the Hintertomb chalices

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'd say the Nightmare Frontier is closer to the stereotypical Fromsoft Suckswamp but the forest is where the game drags its feet more. At least the Nightmare Frontier is interesting to look at instead of just being grey. grey. grey grey oh my god it's so grey

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Regy Rusty posted:

They're fleas

I was wondering: Are the Cainhurst flea people basically what happens when the particular strain of blood they used goes bad/they are cursed overlong? Are they the werewolf/beast versions of the Cainhurst strain of blood, or is there something else to why they exist? Same question for the gargoyles.

Bust Rodd posted:

Castle Cainhurst is literally Castlevania, is what this thread taught me, because you have Fleamen and hidden magic passages and a Blood Sword and Death is the boss. It’s pretty dope.

The way you arrive at Cainhurst is such perfect Gothic horror and I love it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

best swamp experience imo was pre-patch Lost Izalith with the dragon butts that would aggro you from a mile away while the stepping-in-lava sound effect triggered every 0.2 seconds

drrockso20 posted:

There's also the Hintertomb chalices

aside from one big swamp room that you don't actually need to fight anything in, there's actually not a lot of poison areas in the non-root hintertombs. It's surprisingly merciful. And unlike the poison swamps in all the other Souls games, you can dodge in them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

marshmallow creep posted:

I was wondering: Are the Cainhurst flea people basically what happens when the particular strain of blood they used goes bad/they are cursed overlong? Are they the werewolf/beast versions of the Cainhurst strain of blood, or is there something else to why they exist? Same question for the gargoyles.

The way you arrive at Cainhurst is such perfect Gothic horror and I love it.

They might just be local fauna that got even freakier upon gorging on the infected blood a la the snakes in the forest and the maggots underground.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that blood they drink over in Cainhurst sure is vile

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't even wanna know what happens to the local arachnids

edit: on a scale of "slightly smaller than a sedan" to "larger than a hummer h2" what's the biggest spider you've ever had to kill? No I'm not asking for any specific reason, just wondering

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

How much of a step up is the first NG+ cycle compared to a regular NG?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Time_pants posted:

How much of a step up is the first NG+ cycle compared to a regular NG?

The early game is significantly more difficult in NG+, in the late game there's a change but less noticeable.

e: still mostly easier than depth 5 FRC chalices though.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 25, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, the early NG+feels appropriate for end-game levels and +9/10 weapons and the difficulty curve seems to take into account how slowly you level up past this point. Also (and this might be a personal thing), I always felt that the regular enemies like the Huntsmen received a significant boost, to the point of feeling like Depth 5 Watchers, but the bosses are much easier than they would be in a Chalice Dungeon.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 26, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I carved my way through NG+ after old hunters. It would be much harder if you didn't have all that extra content, but I never managed to beat the game when it came out because it was too hard for me haha.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What I'm sure is that now that I have 84 ARC and just beat Laurence on NG+, is that I'm not going to fight him again in NG++. That's unless arcane goes insanely better from 83 to 99 so I can deal even more damage. What a long fight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

What I'm sure is that now that I have 84 ARC and just beat Laurence on NG+, is that I'm not going to fight him again in NG++. That's unless arcane goes insanely better from 83 to 99 so I can deal even more damage. What a long fight.

It does get quite a bit better.

Pouring Blacksky Eyes into him once he loses his butt will always be the best tactic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's what I did and was doing 600ish damage to him (arcanist guide says that at 99 does way better) and ended going closer with a +10 bolt saw spear to speed up things.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Maria was a great fight. Absolutely one of the best in Souls history. I'm at the orphan now and he's good too.

Can someone point me a YouTube vid on how to get an arcane build up and running? I plan on rushing to the boom hammer and maybe the amegdala arm, but I've got know idea what the best way to get gems is. Also, it is worth it to fortify the hunter's torch?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

The Kingfish posted:

Also, it is worth it to fortify the hunter's torch?
Up to +6, absolutely. For a lot of my characters, the torch was the best way to kill some enemies in the chalice dungeons (like the scorpions and the blobs). After that though, you're using resources that you might want to use on actual weapons. Plus, you can never put greens in the torch, so it never gets amazing or anything. I'd say only go beyond +6 if you've already upgraded all the weapons you're going to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

The Kingfish posted:

Can someone point me a YouTube vid on how to get an arcane build up and running? I plan on rushing to the boom hammer and maybe the amegdala arm, but I've got know idea what the best way to get gems is. Also, it is worth it to fortify the hunter's torch?

Don’t have a video for you but the general idea is pick saw cleaver, rush to bsb, get the gem from behind the first brainsucker after you fall down through the tower thing, suicide run to get tonitrus in hypogean gaol, and farm the hollows with fire weapons on level 3 of the first chalice dungeon for some 10% cursed fire gems. For stats put just enough into vitality so you don’t die instantly, just enough str and ski to wield your weapons and everything else goes into arcane. Finally kill Amelia and then post about how op arcane is.