Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Shadow0 posted:

Can I post about New Zealand here? It's basically Australia, right?

There's an actual NZ Pol thread in D&D you might have more luck in. Mentioning that you think NZ and Australia are the same might not win you many friends there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Chips posted:

There's an actual NZ Pol thread in D&D you might have more luck in. Mentioning that you think NZ and Australia are the same might not win you many friends there.

HookShot posted:

"Hi, people from Australia. Can you all tell me what life is like in a completely different country that's a three hour flight from yours?"

Don't worry, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek; I know they are different places with different situations etc, that's why I asked if it was okay to ask about New Zealand here.
If there's a thread for New Zealand specifically, then I'll go post there. Thanks!

(Is the thread about New Zealand politics really better for this kind of question though? That seems even less of a fit for my question.)

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 19, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Seeing as there are people in that thread who actually live in the place you're talking about, yeah, I think it's more relevant.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
If you're trying to get a feel for visa regulations, employment practices etc, then NZpol might be OK. Or maybe just start a NZ threat in T&T

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

khysanth posted:

When you're down in Sydney, again grab a rental car and drive west to Blue Mountains National Park. You can do most of Sydney in 2-3 days.

I know people say this. I know I've said so on occasion in the past, but I don't think it's true. I'm born and bred in Sydney and I still discover new places to see and things to do here that I reckon are well worth the time for out of towners as well.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What is your guy's opinion on visiting Perth for about 4 days? I see a lot of talk of Queensland area including Brisbane along with Sydney and Melbourne but not much about Perth. Worth visiting?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's probably OK for a day or two. Margaret River is a few hours drive to the south and has some great scenery, wineries and surfing. If you've got longer, head north to Ningaloo Reef where you can dive with whale sharks. It's almost as good as the Barrier Reef, but nowhere near as crowded (or developed, honestly).

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Perth itself can be seen in pretty much a day (two if you include a day at Fremantle). The rest of your time depends on your interests. But my suggestion for a week would be the following.

If you head west up to Kalgoorlie you can visit Wave Rock (3 hours), the pump stations (visit one of the saddest engineering stories in Australia) and then once you get to Kal, view the super pit. Stay the night in Kal, visit the oldest brothel in Australia on the guided tour (its actually quite interesting). Next morning, go to the super pit observation point, with luck you can watch a blast.

Get prepped up for a long drive and head to Esperance via Norseman. Stop at Norseman for a photo op with the sign (Adelaide left, Perth right). Stay in Esperance for two nights and chill in one of the most remote cities in Australia.

Next drive is along the south coast to Albany, on the drive you can take in the only mountain in the south of WA. Stay in Albany for a night.

Next is a drive to the Margaret River for 2 nights, relax for the drive day and do a wine tour the next. You cant really go wrong with this.

Your next choice is straight back to Perth or a night in Bunbury where you can try for swimming with Dolphins. Dont take the freeway back to Perth, instead head back via Harvey and experience the English countryside from films that doesnt exist in England.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Any recommendations on where to stay for 3-4 days to see the Great Barrier Reef? I wasn't sure if we should be looking to stay somewhere in Cairns, go to one of the smaller island resorts, or charter a boat.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Port Douglas if you want a town, Palm Cove if you want a resort

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Busy Bee posted:

What is your guy's opinion on visiting Perth for about 4 days? I see a lot of talk of Queensland area including Brisbane along with Sydney and Melbourne but not much about Perth. Worth visiting?

If you go to Margaret River, there's some pretty cool limestone caves in the area that you might like to check out. The other things that I enjoyed while there were Eagle's Heritage, which is a native bird/raptor rehabilitation facility, and the Olive Grove distillery. You go and pay $10 for the liquor tasting, and become thoroughly inebriated in the process.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart
Ive been living in Melbourne the last six months. (I only recently started posting on here again after a lengthy absence). As part of a little tour of Australia before we go traveling in NZ and Asia, Im going to Tasmania for a week with my girlfriend. Flying into Hobart (and then flying out to Adelaide). Looking to hire a car, stay in Hobart a couple of nights, head up the East Coast, head across to Launceston from the cape, see Cradle Mountain, head across to Queenstown and the Wert Coast then head back to Hobart and fly out. Well be staying in AirBNBs and the like across the trip.

So far were looking to visit.
Hobart, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay, Bay of Fires, Little Blue Lake, a few wineries and restaurants that have been recommended, Mole Creek Caves, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Strahan, Queenstown, Gordon Dam, Lake Peddlar, Bruny Island

Just wanted to know if this sounded feasible. I realise some of these places we may not be able to fully explore. I also wanted to know if others had any recommendations?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

Tell me more! Got a few wineries recommended to us, but a whiskey trip would be appreciated.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Django posted:

Tell me more! Got a few wineries recommended to us, but a whiskey trip would be appreciated.

I only got to see a couple when I was there but this should put you on the right path.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Also this for Tassie Whisky.

http://www.drinktasmania.com.au/project/whisky-tours/

And go to Mona. You can grab a ferry from the Murray St Pier.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
I'm afraid I can't give you advice/opinions on what I think you should cut, but I think it'll be quite a task to fit all of that into one week. It's probably doable, but it'll be very rushed.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart
A few things have made the cut; Maria Island, Bruny Island, Mole Creek Caves. I imagine during the fullness of time more will go too!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Lizard Combatant posted:

What distillery in Tasmania is 'quite good'?

I enjoyed the Nant tour but the actual whiskey itself was average at best. I bought a bottle of Hellyer's 'original' and it was straight up awful (although their pinot noir cask one is nice, albeit unusual). I'm pretty sure I've had another whose name escapes me that was similarly forgettable.

I saw Sullivan's Cove at a bar in Salamanca when I was out celebrating something, $35/dram. I asked the bartender and she said she'd never seen anyone have a second one, so I skipped it. To be fair that's the award winning one so maybe I'm missing out on something great, but I had another one of their whiskies at a tasting and wasn't particularly impressed.

I know whisky is one of the sacred cows of Tasmanian tourism, but my experience has been that it is criminally overrated and overpriced.

Django posted:

I’m going to Tasmania for a week with my girlfriend. Flying into Hobart (and then flying out to Adelaide). Looking to hire a car, stay in Hobart a couple of nights, head up the East Coast, head across to Launceston from the cape, see Cradle Mountain, head across to Queenstown and the Wert Coast then head back to Hobart and fly out. We’ll be staying in AirBNBs and the like across the trip.

So far we’re looking to visit.
Hobart, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay, Bay of Fires, Little Blue Lake, a few wineries and restaurants that have been recommended, Mole Creek Caves, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Strahan, Queenstown, Gordon Dam, Lake Peddlar, Bruny Island

Just wanted to know if this sounded feasible. I realise some of these places we may not be able to fully explore. I also wanted to know if others had any recommendations?

Maybe do the Cataract Gorge in Launceston, but don't feel too bad if you skip it and just stop for lunch/petrol and get out. There is little else there of interest. Queenstown has the Iron Blow Lookout to hop out and take a photo at, but the town itself is dying and doesn't really have much to offer.

I like Stanley in the NW, but it might be a little out of the way for you. Wall in the Wilderness was also surprisingly good and worth it (maybe not in terms of artistic vision, but certainly in terms of skill/craftsmanship), although it's out the back of Bourke.

Bruny Island is OK but I find its popularity baffling; you have to coordinate an annoying wait for the ferry to get some good-but-not-terribly-unique scenery you can find elsewhere in Tas. There's a car park on the Neck now. I'd definitely recommend skipping it if you're on a limited timetable.

South of Hobart can be a nice day trip: follow the coast and get breakfast at the Margate Train, then pop into Geeveston and do the platypus walk and head further south for the Tahune Airwalk. Hasting's Cave is down that way-ish and is OK, although if you've been to any major caves overseas it'll probably underwhelm.

Strathgordon is quite a detour, but it's a really nice drive out there. I thought I might want to try the abseiling until I actually got there and looked over the edge... nooope!

In Hobart, I prefer the Tasmanian Museum and Gallery to MONA, but I agree that the latter should definitely be on a visitor's itinerary (and the current travelling exhibition is good). Mawson Huts is also really good if you have any interest in the history of Antarctic exploration, but the experience in part depends on the quality of the volunteer on the day.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 2, 2018

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What distillery in Tasmania is 'quite good'?

If you get the chance, try some Overeem and/or Belgrove.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hey ausgoons (and friends)! Will be in Sydney with the girlfriend (who's Canberran) for 3-4 days in early July. We're looking at places to stay, and could use your help. We're largely considering inner suburbs south of the harbor/CBD, basically a crescent from Glebe around through Paddington (so Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, etc.). Thing is, neither of us have spent that much time in Sydney, and her mostly around Double Bay and the further eastern suburbs.

Could use advice/a quick guide to the character/"vibe" of the various neighborhoods around this area, to know where to look for airbnbs/hotels/apartments. Thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Are there any big cities that aren't worth visiting? Haven't heard many good things about Darwin...

I will be moving to Melbourne permanently in early 2019 but will travel for a while beforehand.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Are there any big cities that aren't worth visiting? Haven't heard many good things about Darwin...

I will be moving to Melbourne permanently in early 2019 but will travel for a while beforehand.

I wouldn't call it a "big city" but Darwin is OK for a couple of days. The museum is interesting (the Cyclone Tracey exhibition is really good), there's a surprisingly good aircraft museum at the airbase, and you've also got Mindl beach markets as well on Friday nights. Plus you're only a day's drive from Kakadu, Litchfield and more, so I wouldn't dismiss it completely out of hand.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

People dump on Perth as being exactly that, also being super far from everything. I haven't been there in a long time (lived there for a year) but I didn't actually mind it, but it's still not somewhere I'd put high up the list of 'must see' places in Australia. I'd rather go to Darwin than Perth, for sure.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Perth is a lot better than it used to be. Betty's jetty has events all the time, Yagan Square just opened, there are a shitload more small and interesting pubs, bars and restaurants, the new stadium is open, kings Park is still rad, the city itself isn't a desolate wasteland after 5pm, northbridge isn't stab central anymore, Fringe festival keeps getting bigger and better, we have the best beaches in Australia and then there is the whole Southwest region.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Follow up question (the girlfriend fell in love with an airbnb loft in St. Peter's): we're looking at going out of the city for a day or two, check out some vineyards and be out in the country. Hunter Valley or the Southern Highlands?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Perth is a lot better than it used to be. Betty's jetty has events all the time, Yagan Square just opened, there are a shitload more small and interesting pubs, bars and restaurants, the new stadium is open, kings Park is still rad, the city itself isn't a desolate wasteland after 5pm, northbridge isn't stab central anymore, Fringe festival keeps getting bigger and better, we have the best beaches in Australia and then there is the whole Southwest region.

:agreed: Theres a lot more to do in the city these days. Id definitely try to catch a game at the new stadium.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

If you are travelling, I'd recommend picking a city, renting a car, and exploring as much of the countrysode as you can. I've only been through queensland and nsw as an adult, and victoria growing up, but all the interesting stuff is spread out in Australia. Its definitely a country where you want to pick an area and explore. Our landmass is nearly the size of the usa with 1/15 the population and a teeny fraction of the history.

You can probably have a good time in any city, but I think that staying in cities is the wrong way to see Australia. The best way is in a car or campervan.

For instance, my home city Brisbane. The city is small, theres almost no heritage from the convict camps left, and the nightlife has a manufactured atmosphere. But once you get out of the city, you have the sunshine coast, maleny, the glasshouse mountains, wivenhoe dam, d'aguilar ranges, the gold coast, gold coast hinterlands, the scenic rim, moreton and stradbroke islands. These are all places easily reachable by car but almost impossible to get to on public transport. I've had the same experience with Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne. The most beautiful and memorable places in Australia are not the cities. Dont get me wrong, its really cool seeing the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. But you could probably do everything worth doing in an Australian city in a weekend, and your experience won't be much different in any city. Its definitely a country where you want to take it slow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

. Our landmass is nearly the size of the usa with 1/15 the population and a teeny fraction of the history.

Except for the whole oldest known civilisation on earth thing and over 50000 years of continuous habitation, sure.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

NPR Journalizard posted:

Except for the whole oldest known civilisation on earth thing and over 50000 years of continuous habitation, sure.

Yeah and its all gone. The settlers wiped them out and destroyed anything that went against the narrative of terra nulius. We were still stealing aboriginal kids as recently as the 70s.

The best you can reasonably get is a plaque at important sites like mt Kosciuszko and that's about it. Theres no Stonehenge or Pyramids or anything close to an old aboriginal settlement. Its all swept under a rug. If anything this proves my point more, if you want genuine Aborigonal history you'll find more on Wikipedia than any Australian city. Even Uluru is 2000km from Darwin. You live here right? You know all of this. There's nothing left to see of any of the original Aboriginal civilisation, thats been our governments goal since Captain Cook, I'd argue that it's still their goal now, just less overtly so.

It's like arguing you could go to Manhattan and be standing where native Americans stood for generations. No way you could tell if you didn't know beforehand. Atleast New York has historic buildings from the civilisation that lives there now.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 9, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

underage at the vape shop posted:

If you are travelling, I'd recommend picking a city, renting a car, and exploring as much of the countrysode as you can. I've only been through queensland and nsw as an adult, and victoria growing up, but all the interesting stuff is spread out in Australia. Its definitely a country where you want to pick an area and explore. Our landmass is nearly the size of the usa with 1/15 the population and a teeny fraction of the history.

You can probably have a good time in any city, but I think that staying in cities is the wrong way to see Australia. The best way is in a car or campervan.

For instance, my home city Brisbane. The city is small, theres almost no heritage from the convict camps left, and the nightlife has a manufactured atmosphere. But once you get out of the city, you have the sunshine coast, maleny, the glasshouse mountains, wivenhoe dam, d'aguilar ranges, the gold coast, gold coast hinterlands, the scenic rim, moreton and stradbroke islands. These are all places easily reachable by car but almost impossible to get to on public transport. I've had the same experience with Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne. The most beautiful and memorable places in Australia are not the cities. Dont get me wrong, its really cool seeing the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. But you could probably do everything worth doing in an Australian city in a weekend, and your experience won't be much different in any city. Its definitely a country where you want to take it slow.

I've only visited Australia once, but this advice rings true. Spent some time in Cairns and Port Douglas/Daintree National Park with a rental car and explored the surrounding areas. Then flew to Brisbane and rented another car for a road trip down to Sydney, exploring places along the way (mostly wilderness areas/national parks, but also little towns and random restaurants, etc). Was a really great trip.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thanks for the advice, dudes. I can't decide whether to settle down in Melbourne then travel or travel then settle down. Obviously travelling first makes more sense but I'm the type who'd be nervous about my new life the whole time. Money's not an issue thanks to selling a Vancouver condo.

Last time I lived in Sydney I only went as far as Canberra and that was a big regret.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Do you have a job lined up? If money's totally not an issue, maybe consider spending the first week or two setting up your life (renting an apartment, getting a bank account/phone set up etc), then travelling and just leaving the apartment empty for a few weeks.

If you're walking straight into a job, you (should) get a fairly generous 20 days of annual leave per year, but (generally speaking) it accumulates over the 12 months so you won't be able to take a full week off for at least a few months. Might be a bit frustrating.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

webmeister posted:

Do you have a job lined up? If money's totally not an issue, maybe consider spending the first week or two setting up your life (renting an apartment, getting a bank account/phone set up etc), then travelling and just leaving the apartment empty for a few weeks.

If you're walking straight into a job, you (should) get a fairly generous 20 days of annual leave per year, but (generally speaking) it accumulates over the 12 months so you won't be able to take a full week off for at least a few months. Might be a bit frustrating.

No job but in a high demand field so not too worried.

That's a really good idea actually, now just gotta convince the wife.

And yeah four weeks of vacation is heaven, I'm used to having two with nowhere nice to go nearby.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

No job but in a high demand field so not too worried.

That's a really good idea actually, now just gotta convince the wife.

And yeah four weeks of vacation is heaven, I'm used to having two with nowhere nice to go nearby.

Random question, but is your field trades based? If so, you may want to look into how easily it transfers to Australia. Electricians for instance tend to find themselves completely unqualified when they move to Australia without a gap course being completed. These can be expensive and take a large amount of time. Most of the trades listed in the Australian in-demand roles will experience similar issues.

If however you are a white collar worker (excepting some engineering roles), ignore this post!

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

My brother and his girlfriend are moving to Melbourne next week from the US. Is there any cool poo poo they should be on the lookout for tourism/city poo poo? Also, any quality of life stuff they should be worried about/on the look out for? Really any information at all about differences between US/Australia would be appreciated. They have jobs/housing secured.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

My brother and his girlfriend are moving to Melbourne next week from the US. Is there any cool poo poo they should be on the lookout for tourism/city poo poo? Also, any quality of life stuff they should be worried about/on the look out for? Really any information at all about differences between US/Australia would be appreciated. They have jobs/housing secured.

Get a Myki, don't go further north than brunswick, eat/drink all the things.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

If you don't go further north than Brunswick, then you miss out on the magical booze den that is Carwyn Cellars.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

SonicDefiance posted:

If you don't go further north than Brunswick, then you miss out on the magical booze den that is Carwyn Cellars.

Forays into Northcote/Thornbury recommended. Coburg has good turkish food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The reports of apex gang are all lies and media hype to sell papers to racists if thats something they were worried about. Melbourne is incredibly safe.