Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That's a beast of a chip

Sure seems like it. I rarely get beast chips lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Don Lapre posted:

Sure seems like it. I rarely get beast chips lol

Did you put on liquid metal and then relid the cpu? or are you yoloing it and running it bare against the heat sink?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Encrypted posted:

Did you put on liquid metal and then relid the cpu? or are you yoloing it and running it bare against the heat sink?

Im using thermal grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. I just used some silicon and reattached the lid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Man, I don't know how many days of getting a text alert for the 8700k and adding it to cart just to get a cart error I can take. My 8400 isn't bad by any means in the meantime, maybe I should just wait until H370 boards are out, grab a combo deal and kick the lesser parts down to my brother.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Don Lapre posted:

Man, i forgot how much of a difference delidding makes

Prime95 on my 8700k 5ghz @ 1.280v would hit 95c

After delid 5.2ghz @ 1.380 volts maxes at 84c with latest avx loving murder rape prime95

Not sure if I’m going to try delidding mine. I think I got a good one - prime95 has been running for a couple of hours at 5ghz @ 1.225v and it hasn’t gone over 80c yet. Either the Kraken x62 is doing it’s job, or I managed to get a ridiculous chip. I may try pushing it a little higher if this keeps up.

I’ve never delidded a chip before, but if it keeps going with the lower voltage I may not need to.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Newegg has 8700 Non-K in stock. Just ordered one because gently caress Amazon, my order there had been showing as 'we will let you know' since 10/6. newegg is $25 more than Amazon/MSRP, but gently caress it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117826

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TVs Ian posted:

Not sure if I’m going to try delidding mine. I think I got a good one - prime95 has been running for a couple of hours at 5ghz @ 1.225v and it hasn’t gone over 80c yet. Either the Kraken x62 is doing it’s job, or I managed to get a ridiculous chip. I may try pushing it a little higher if this keeps up.

I’ve never delidded a chip before, but if it keeps going with the lower voltage I may not need to.

Which prime95? Did you disable avx tests?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Don Lapre posted:

Which prime95? Did you disable avx tests?

I was using 26.5 (or maybe 26.6, I just overwrote it, so not sure) and avx was not disabled.

The system rebooted on me while I wasn’t looking, so I updated, disabled avx, and I’m giving it a shot at 1.25 now. Hovering around 70°. If it can run at 5ghz below 1.3 I’ll probably stick with it instead of pushing.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Disabling AVX (or not supporting it at all using a version prior to 26.7) seems like a waste of time. You stability test for a worst case scenario so you can be confident it's a software problem and not a hardware failure when something does break. Even tested 24/7 for months with the hardest tests doesn't rule out a hardware fault, but at least testing for 24 hours with the hardest you can throw at it makes it dramatically less likely to be a hardware problem.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

craig588 posted:

Disabling AVX (or not supporting it at all using a version prior to 26.7) seems like a waste of time. You stability test for a worst case scenario so you can be confident it's a software problem and not a hardware failure when something does break. Even tested 24/7 for months with the hardest tests doesn't rule out a hardware fault, but at least testing for 24 hours with the hardest you can throw at it makes it dramatically less likely to be a hardware problem.

Since AVX instructions are used so rarely I can understand why'd you'd disable them for testing, I've had CPUs that needed their overclock dialed way back to run the AVX stuff but since I would basically never use that outside of Prime95 it wasn't really a realistic workload for me. The best thing to do in that situation though would probably be to use the AVX offset feature in the BIOS and have AVX instructions run at a lower clock frequency.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

craig588 posted:

Normally I would agree with you but Prime95 AVX testing is one that everyone in the industry agrees is not a representative stress test. Nothing real world even remotely pounds AVX like prime95 by like orders of magnitude.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Unless you're doing tons of video encoding with one of the encoders that makes use of it or working on the sort of serious Big HPC science software project that it was really meant to provide a boost for at home you can probably disable AVX-512 and not care in the slightest for at least the next couple of years.

It might catch on in a big way in software eventually but so far even AVX-256 hasn't been all that big of a deal to most users, not like say SSE2 for instance, and that has been around for longer.

edit: \/\/\/a good post!!

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 27, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SSE* were big because:

1) Apart from its vector instructions it introduced support for actual 32- and 64-bit floating point, instead of using the x87 80-bit floating point instructions for everything.

2) AMD decided that SSE2 should be in the base spec for AMD64, so now it's guaranteed that if you have a 64-bit professor you can use at least SSE2. Compile some floating point code with GCC in 64-bit mode and you'll find it emits SSE2 instructions.

AVX doesn't have any of that going for it, so it's pretty much always going to be relegated to places like HPC and video encoding, where the problems can be easily vectorized and it's relatively easy to guarantee that the hardware support exists.

For most game developers, they'd have to make it optional to avoid alienating a large part of the market who might have older CPUs, and then they'd also have to test this additional code path. Just not worth the effort.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
8700s and 8700ks up at Newegg, though they've raised the price on the 8700k again:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Wow, gone 6 minutes later. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Extortionist posted:

8700s and 8700ks up at Newegg, though they've raised the price on the 8700k again:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

Cool, that’s only $60 less than it costs in Australia, once you account for exchange rate. (and our prices include 10% tax, so technically it’s pretty much the same price.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

It's around upgrade time for me, but the hilariously limited availability of the 8700K has me hesitant. Am I correct in thinking that I've still got mileage left in my 4570 before it's a noticeable bottleneck?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

tzirean posted:

It's around upgrade time for me, but the hilariously limited availability of the 8700K has me hesitant. Am I correct in thinking that I've still got mileage left in my 4570 before it's a noticeable bottleneck?

My 4690k was a huge bottleneck in BF1 which prompted me to upgrade to the 7700k, which really let my 1080 shine.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fletcher posted:

My 4690k was a huge bottleneck in BF1 which prompted me to upgrade to the 7700k, which really let my 1080 shine.

though let it be said would be more to do with the extra threads of an i7 more than it is any generational uptick in performance

tzirean posted:

your 4570 is not going to become obsolete in the time that it takes for the 8700k to actually become widely available. be patient x

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 29, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tzirean posted:

Getting an 8700k really isn't hard. Set a nowinstock and a newegg alert. They seem to be getting them in every day or every other day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don Lapre posted:

Getting an 8700k really isn't hard. Set a nowinstock and a newegg alert. They seem to be getting them in every day or every other day.

You say that, but by the time I load the Newegg page on my phone, they’re sold out. I once managed to order a 8700K with a 5% code and it was cancelled right away. I was able to order an 8700 and tried to get a second one, but they cancelled the second one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why won't they take pre-orders? I pre-ordered my 8700K from Jimm's PC (Finland's 2nd largest hardware store) without prepayment. Then they shipped it to me right after 3 weeks, when they got their first shipment.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Why won't they take pre-orders? I pre-ordered my 8700K from Jimm's PC (Finland's 2nd largest hardware store) without prepayment. Then they shipped it to me right after 3 weeks, when they got their first shipment.

Newegg doesn’t do pre-orders for anything anymore, might be related to their adaptive pricing or something.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
People have been asking for videocard preorders for a decade. Preorders are never in the consumers interest, only if the retailers can use them as a way to make more money. (In the US, I guess. I've never seen US retailers taking preorders without money down and using it like an interest free loan)

mewse
May 2, 2006

craig588 posted:

Preorders are never in the consumers interest

You say this like it's a proven rule from econ 101 but in a situation like this where demand is outstripping supply, securing a preorder lets you wait your turn for the product to show up instead of wasting a bunch of time trying to find a place that has them in stock

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

craig588 posted:

People have been asking for videocard preorders for a decade. Preorders are never in the consumers interest, only if the retailers can use them as a way to make more money. (In the US, I guess. I've never seen US retailers taking preorders without money down and using it like an interest free loan)

Yes but as pre-order dates don’t always get met, people start putting in complaints through various channels probably including the Bbb, which have the potential to hurt them more than whatever they stand to earn with an interest free short term loan. On the other hand, if something keeps going in and out of stock, they just jack the price up over time and they’re getting more money with no real complaints. Notice how Newegg’s price was 389.99, then 399.99 and now 409.99 for the 8700K.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's what I mean. They'll only offer preorders if they think for sure they'll have stock and they won't be hard to get. If you think something will be hard to get it's definitely in your interest, but they have accountants working to make sure it doesn't end up in your favor.

Like software preorders? Get out of here, how did that become a standard?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
8700K is currently selling for $400 at Frys, $10 above MSRP, and $410 at Newegg, $20 above MSRP. Kind of a weird market where major online retailers are marking up the price, usually it goes the other way.

Edit: LOL Microcenter is selling it for $500, $100 above MSRP.

Since when the the retail electronics market turn into sketchy used car salesmen?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

craig588 posted:

Like software preorders? Get out of here, how did that become a standard?

If you're talking about game software, then it's all about the pack-ins and Gamestop was a pioneer in that.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Since when the the retail electronics market turn into sketchy used car salesmen?

Unfortunately the margin on computer hardware, excluding Apple, is incredibly slim and it is a shrinking market. If you are wondering why companies like Circuit City and CompUSA ultimately failed, there is your answer.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately the margin on computer hardware, excluding Apple, is incredibly slim and it is a shrinking market. If you are wondering why companies like Circuit City and CompUSA ultimately failed, there is your answer.

True the retail market for the i7 8700K is likely no more than a rounding error in Intel’s annual revenue.

eames
May 9, 2009

Has anybody else noticed overly sensitive throttling with CFL when the AVX offset is set? Mine seems to clock down in seemingly lightweight applications, including things like PUBG.

I kind of worked around it by disabling the AVX offset and setting the long term max package TDP to 180W, that way it'll hold clockspeeds in all "normal" applications but still throttle after five seconds when a crazy workload like LinX or Prime small FFTs is running with AVX. Those would consume 240W+ where typical workloads usually top out at 170W. :stare:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think AVX offset is like a switch, as soon as AVX portions get turned on it offsets down, no matter what level of intensity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yep, and chrome will do it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

8700K is currently selling for $400 at Frys, $10 above MSRP, and $410 at Newegg, $20 above MSRP. Kind of a weird market where major online retailers are marking up the price, usually it goes the other way.

Edit: LOL Microcenter is selling it for $500, $100 above MSRP.

I'd rather have retailers mark up price than have a market vulnerable to scalping. Yes, that means I wish Nintendo had priced the drat NES classic at $160 last year, and that concert tickets should cost 2x what they do.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd rather have retailers mark up price than have a market vulnerable to scalping. Yes, that means I wish Nintendo had priced the drat NES classic at $160 last year, and that concert tickets should cost 2x what they do.

Come for the CPU chat and stay for the economics discussion! So far, I have no idea if the new chips are worth upgrading to, or really how to understand the models. I do however now know that my decision to not expand to Australia last year was fortuitous. I don't want to deal with any of that as a manufacturer.

So, my 5 year old i5, time to finally upgrade? Or wait? I have an SSD and 32gigs for RAM, so I only feel slow down on the occasional mixed integer optimization problem and the few games I get to play. I shoot people on the Xbox primarily though so it doesn't have to be a beast.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FunOne posted:

So, my 5 year old i5, time to finally upgrade? Or wait? I have an SSD and 32gigs for RAM, so I only feel slow down on the occasional mixed integer optimization problem and the few games I get to play. I shoot people on the Xbox primarily though so it doesn't have to be a beast.

Is that a 2500k? I've been using mine and finally decided the 8xxx series was enough reason to move. Given that CPUs have been a 5 year investment, I went 7-series with a $80 cooler. Basically, if you have been waiting for the "Yes, this is clearly a significant upgrade from a 2500k" then the 8700k is probably it (when in stock).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Is that a 2500k? I've been using mine and finally decided the 8xxx series was enough reason to move. Given that CPUs have been a 5 year investment, I went 7-series with a $80 cooler. Basically, if you have been waiting for the "Yes, this is clearly a significant upgrade from a 2500k" then the 8700k is probably it (when in stock).

I think it's a 45xx something, so probably not literally 5 years old.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Looks like newegg is getting 8700ks in every day. just got another one

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I managed to get in on their latest shipment, hoping it all shows up this week. My question now is where's the best place to get a delidding tool in the USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cinara posted:

Yea I managed to get in on their latest shipment, hoping it all shows up this week. My question now is where's the best place to get a delidding tool in the USA?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-S-H-C...wYAAOSwKoRZYBb3

Use a vice. Takes bout 10 seconds.

I had to trim mine a little with a razor blade but i talked to the guy who sells em on reddit and he said mine was just warped and shouldn't have gone out.