Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Rantista posted:

Well CIG mentioned that they're going to use Amazon GameLift. GameLift was never designed for a MMO, it was designed for session based games like Dota 2 or Overwatch. Amazon will spin up a single dedicated instance for a session and recycle it afterwards. There is no way that this will support 100+ players, so SC will be pretty much limited to 32 players max in an instance.

We literally don't know how gamelift and gridmate may have changed since CIG's adoption of LY. It could very well be that the Cry-engineers on CIGs staff were able to work with Amazon in this regard - or not. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't know too many other games that use Amazon in this way.

And why's that?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the answers but I want to double-check a few things.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Kinda loaded, provided CIG can work out instancing as described. Instanced zones that can hold 20-40 clients reliable on 1-2 servers can be scaled to 60 or 80 clients with the addition of additional servers on the blade, provided Amazon Compute and web services are able to spool up a server and increase the instance for all clients on a near real-time basis. I don't know the technical specifics of how that can work because I don't know too many other games that use Amazon in this way.

Not loaded at all. You need to know how many players are going to be able to interact in your game, that number is basically what defines a MMOG. I am not talking about how many are handled per server, I mean how many players will be able to take part in a space battle -for instance- 60-80 seems like a very low number but I can use those numbers if you wish.

quote:

I don't know. I'm assuming an Americas, EMEA and AsPAC?[/b]

So, in that case, there will be three mostly independent "verses", right?

quote:

4) What kind of servers are you using? Typical AWS stuff, a cluster?

From what I understand, Amazon elastic compute (ec2) will allow for multiple servers to be spun instantaneously (within minutes). I'm assuming CIG will lease a VPC ahead with a certain subnet of servers and load balance accordingly. This way, servers can be brought online and off compared to instanced and idled players.

Ok, so top-of-the-line virtual machines in a single data server for each "verse".

quote:

5) Can players that are on the same immediate area but are connected to different servers interact?

If the description of AWS and EC2 is as I understand, this should be a readily-available feature.

Forget about AWS and its actual features, we assume that they are present. Will they be able to interact? (BTW, that is as far as a readily-available-feature as you can get).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 30, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
moma is out surfacing surface detail at this point

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Varied? Full compliment of S12 torps in the Jav could run a couple hundred real dollars or a half-mil UEC. I don't see how that is an issue if you're running several larger missions that dole out 100k UEC a pop, especially with org-mates.

MoMA I appreciate you coming around to provide a counterpoint to our FUD (especially because more often than not you're cautiously optimistic and at least aware of the potential pitfalls) but come on man, nobody (including CIG as far as I can tell) has any idea how much things are going to cost or missions are going to pay out. Wild speculation is our gimmick, not yours :colbert:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

'the blade'?

I know what you mean, but it doesn't have context with AWS.

Yeah. AWS servers are comprised of 10 u chassis, 16 blades per chassis (4 in a rack), total of 64 blades per rack. At 1 server a blade, that's essentially 64 servers per rack, give or take how they are managing their virtual machines.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
im talking about server blades in 2017.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just stop. its embarrassing. like I feel embarrassed for you that you're typing any of this out

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

ManofManyAliases posted:

We literally don't know how gamelift and gridmate may have changed since CIG's adoption of LY. It could very well be that the Cry-engineers on CIGs staff were able to work with Amazon in this regard - or not. Time will tell.

this is a team that couldn't get a delta patcher for their own prepacked data for years on end, and despite the company posing video after video of make-work none of them ever discuss any actual approach to solving this even bigger problem that has stumped teams with more cohesion, planning and resources

so yeah who knows what'll happen, dream big, don't be a loser that hates

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is it though? Can you pay to buy UEC? Yes - capped per month, but yeah. Does that mean winning? Hardly. If you're paying for consumables on a regular basis, that could suggest you do less missions or pirate less or whatever. It's a slider of skill/luck vs laziness/carelessness. I don't see how paying to buy in-game currency automatically means you win anymore than buying a one-dollar scratch-off and finding out you only won a dollar.

So a company that will take 15k for 1 pack of virtual ships will cap the amount of money you can give them because they care about game play balance?

:chloe:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I hope they get SC running just long enough to sell "retired" server blades like WoW. That large a concentration of crushed dreams in that small of a form factor has to have some kind of value.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
can I get an SC server to run on my old ford ranger, it has a chassis with a 4 cylinder engine that has plenty of power

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rudager posted:

And why's that?

They emphasise compute, memory or GPU with absolutely no emphasis on latency or bandwidth. You can buy dedicated server space, but you're still effectively eating the same network as everyone else.

Some other fun things with AWS; You're never quite sure who your neighbours are, so you could end up with someone eating 60% of outbound to the switch. This is why test instances are spun up and measured, because they can vary *wildly*.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Beet Wagon posted:

I hope they get SC running just long enough to sell "retired" server blades like WoW. That large a concentration of crushed dreams in that small of a form factor has to have some kind of value.

that reminds me what happened to the firefall bus

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

im talking about server blades in 2017.

SHHHHHH!!!!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Imagine this, but it says "Star Citizen" and it's been attached to a stylish leatherbound hilt and I'm running around shirtless swinging it at nerds as they talk about how the world just wasn't ready for Chris Roberts's dream game.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

We literally don't know how

ManofManyAliases posted:

communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen
:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ITS NOT PAY TO WIN its pledge to win, please get it right

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some people have the broke brain to say that its "Pay to have an early advantage" and even know that having a big advantage early on means that the snowball just keeps getting bigger and bigger because the rich get richer and the poor keep being poor but nope, its still not pay to win.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Some people have the broke brain to say that its "Pay to have an early advantage" and even know that having a big advantage early on means that the snowball just keeps getting bigger and bigger because the rich get richer and the poor keep being poor but nope, its still not pay to win.
If the game ever does come out (note: it will never come out) it's going to be fun listening to the early adopters shriek when the in-game advantage they thought they were purchasing turns out to be an illusion and they're going to be stuck on the same power creep treadmill as everyone else. The way every new ship "punches above its weight" clearly indicates this as the strategy going forward.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
i've been following since 2015, lot of people saying time will tell about various things

:frogsiren: major spoiler :frogsiren: time has told

it's the end of 2017, there's no game and no reason to expect a game anytime soon

there's no argument to be had here

it's not a game that's overdue at this point; forget the years of shenanigans and just looking at the 3.0 timeline - you have, not a game, but a slice of a pre-alpha literally a year overdue on top of six billion other delays

this is it; this is all the evidence anyone should need. if the restaurant can't even do the chips and salsa right how the gently caress they gonna bring you the best drat fajitas ever?

you spend several years waiting for the chips and salsa you know drat well you ain't getting those fajitas no matter how much you paid for them

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lmao if anyone thinks amazons xeon dust magnets will ever run cry engines main thread for more than a handful of clients at acceptable update rates for action based gaming.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
By the way MoMA, I chose to ignore this

ManofManyAliases posted:

1) What is the maximum latency permissible for the game to be playable? (If you don't know the numbers just say FPS-like, Fighting game-like, RTS-like. EVE-like, etc)

~16ms, equivalent to that of a server with a tick rate of 64.

Because not even fighting games get such low latency numbers. Counter-strike players tend to get 80ms or so, which thanks to dead reckoning (and other) techniques makes the game feel good.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tippis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvtgQiaOJ4&t=2335s roughly 39 minutes in — look for the WMP controls at the bottom of the stream feed.
Now, as much as I agree that it wouldn't make sense to show that live, there's still the point that 1) don't show the media controls during a presentation, and 2) citizens will point to that demo and dribble “see, it's all in the game already”.

Thanks

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

trucutru posted:

By the way MoMA, I chose to ignore this

Because not even fighting games get such low latency numbers. Counter-strike players tend to get 80ms or so, which thanks to dead reckoning (and other) techniques makes the game feel good.

all the citizens are going to move to an island and play on a lan, this will fulfill their dreams of escaping their ho hum lives by totally immersing in the verse. The leader will be the man (there won't be any women there) with the most jackets on at the same time.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Danknificent posted:

you spend several years waiting for the chips and salsa you know drat well you ain't getting those fajitas no matter how much you paid for them
You don't understand restaurant development. They spent the fajita money on the kitchen, if you want your fajitas you'll have to pay for some tacos.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheAgent posted:

moma is out surfacing surface detail at this point

It warms my heart

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

all the citizens are going to move to an island and play on a lan, this will fulfill their dreams of escaping their ho hum lives by totally immersing in the verse. The leader will be the man (there won't be any women there) with the most jackets on at the same time.
Citizens already all live in Loserville, so they should be able to play over a lan no problem. :colbert:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah. AWS servers are comprised of 10 u chassis, 16 blades per chassis (4 in a rack), total of 64 blades per rack. At 1 server a blade, that's essentially 64 servers per rack, give or take how they are managing their virtual machines.

In 2012, yes.

Not now, and you don't get access to the location of your requested services, just the availability zone.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's right, I went there. Someone phone the burn unit.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Running game servers for a non-turn based game on cloud services designed for web services and sites is not feasible. Especially not for an MMO or a shooter/space sim. While getting the servers hosted and (physically) maintained by a third party is a great idea, you do not want them running in someone else's infrastructure. You want full control down of the servers and the network infrastructure.

Game servers in the cloud are a cost-cutting measure, with a significant impact on stability and performance. It is not an advantage.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG's model (as apparent as it can be currently) is around the sale of UEC. Everything in design, or on the way, supports users purchasing UEC for consumables on a monthly basis. Example: right now, CIG released designs for upgradeable ship components (not less than 3 categories, 4 subsets of each category, and 4 types of consumable per subset). With 48 different consumables possible for ship upgrade components and depending on how often they need to be changed/modified/replaced, people either have to keep up on missions or pirating to obtain UEC, or will resort directly to monthly purchases of UEC. And that is only one type of component in an early design stage. I see the reasoning for the complexity of ships and mechanics as allowing for multi-faceted ways to earn income without the need for a subscription-based model. While subs may still be available post launch, I don't think they'll necessarily be able to sustain costs in and of themselves.

So basically Star Citizen is one of those lovely free to play games that's grindy as gently caress, except you have to pay at least $60 for the privilege?

Remember when MOMA said that he would be concerned if 3.0 didn't launch in July? Good times.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 30, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are still a few bugs preventing a wider PTU release. We're making good progress though - fps has increased greatly.

so when will your fps catch up with the server tick rate

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

You want full control down of the servers and the network infrastructure.

It's one of the reasons why there's a huge loving whining sound that sounds like a million nerds asking about dedicated private servers when a multiplayer game launches. Incidentally a stretch goal for SC.

I've teased Moma about googling, but internally AWS is really not like anything that we've seen before because they've been commissioning custom hardware since 2014 when they started throwing up FPGAs, custom GPU solutions and racks filled with disks to handle the sheer load of S3. They have custom network and a private 100Gbit backbone. However...

They're beginning to hit a horizon in terms of both going broad and deep. As you point out, they're effectively putting the entire web services/sites industry out of business as they, azure and google compute sweep up the really commodity level of service provision, but they need that vertical appeal to move out of the PAYG service.

Games is one of those investment points, but they've been mainly working from the perspective of having to bleed off the money pile into development rather than servicing.

Eldragon posted:

So basically Star Citizen is one of those lovely free to play games that's grindy as gently caress, except you have to pay at least $60 for the privilege?

Other, more expensive options are available.

SomethingJones posted:

Which according to my layman understanding is why Elite only uses Amazon servers for transactional stuff.

Go look for an indication of the _perfomance_ of a T1.micro. You won't actually find a definition beyond some hand-wavey numbers because you're not actually renting a 'machine', but runtime on something that meets your requirements. Accountants hate this one simple trick for making forecasting costs difficult.

Seriously, one of the best use cases was a multi-threaded brute-forcer that would map/reduce to autoscaling units, putting a dollar cost on something that was previously prohibitively expensive to do. That literally caused a number of people to poo poo themselves.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

PederP posted:

Running game servers for a non-turn based game on cloud services designed for web services and sites is not feasible. Especially not for an MMO or a shooter/space sim. While getting the servers hosted and (physically) maintained by a third party is a great idea, you do not want them running in someone else's infrastructure. You want full control down of the servers and the network infrastructure.

Game servers in the cloud are a cost-cutting measure, with a significant impact on stability and performance. It is not an advantage.

Which according to my layman understanding is why Elite only uses Amazon servers for transactional stuff.

Moma is this your understanding/speculation of SCs networking you are posting or has this been explained to you by CIG?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

PederP posted:

Agreed, I don't see AWS as a viable option for this sort of a deployment. Taking into account that this will be one of the most resource intense MMO's to ever be released I can't see it being operable on anything less that a specifically architected hardware solution. There are a very small number of hosting companies that can bring this to fruition and the costs are going to be huge for start up and maintenance of this game.

With the design costs for this game as large as they must be there is no room for the hardware solution.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

Amazon is trying to get into the game development business so they are definitely going to offer servers that work well with their lumberyard engine. Of course, for most games, the virtual machines do not have to talk to each other as each one only cares about their own game instances. The clusterfuck arising from having multiple interdependent servers running on virtual machines, handling a MMO with FPS requirements (of all things) is gonna be, as the good doctor would say, glorious.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 30, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

monkeytek posted:

Agreed, I don't see AWS as a viable option for this sort of a deployment.

Hell, Amazon doesn't see AWS as a viable option. Their own FAQ mentions that the service might work for all kinds of back-end stuff (content delivery, user data, maybe persistent storage between sessions), but an live real-time environment is right out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Amazon is trying to get into the game development business so they are definitely going to offer servers that work well with their lumberyard engine. Of course, for most of these games, the virtual machines do not have to talk to each other as each one only cares about their own game instances.

Game support business. They don't want to develop games, they want to run them and supply the tools. Owning the ecosystem rather than being one of the herd beasts.

Tippis posted:

Hell, Amazon doesn't see AWS as a viable option. Their own FAQ mentions that the service might work for all kinds of back-end stuff (content delivery, user data, maybe persistent storage between sessions), but an live real-time environment is right out.

Gamelift could be an entrant, but you'd need to go back to effectively supporting a very tight implementation of an architected solution, and that doesn't really fit for Amazon's 80% coverage model. AWS, even Gamelift, is a Dray horse, when they need a flighty Arabian raised on oats and speed.

Edit: that was a horse analogy.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eldragon posted:

Remember when MOMA said that he would be concerned if 3.0 didn't launch in July? Good times.
Forget 3.0, what I'm really looking forward to is the full release of SQ42.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.