Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, not so much in my experience, mainly because Brawl-dedicated grapplers will have a bunch of tools that basically end a fight once they're in there, particularly because they generally have a higher strength than most of their targets do, so they can basically own the grapple once it connects.

It's balanced in terms of the fact that it's not necessarily easier to hit with (though Brawl gets some really cheap adders to attack when grappling) but once it connects a lot of characters will be utterly helpless unless they have a specific counter to it, whereas most characters will have some defense against normal attacks.

Is it particularly easier to get those Gambit successes than a fight-ending number of lethal health levels, though?
That's the real balance point, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is it particularly easier to get those Gambit successes than a fight-ending number of lethal health levels, though?
That's the real balance point, as far as I can tell.

Given you only need 2 successes, yes. Granted, there's also the control roll, but most grapple-focus characters will be able to increase their pool for that trivially.

I played a grappling Dawn for awhile, it's gross. There are counters, like being high into Dodge, but if you're mono-focused on Brawl it's likely to take out most things at your XP range in a one-on-one.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Given you only need 2 successes, yes. Granted, there's also the control roll, but most grapple-focus characters will be able to increase their pool for that trivially.

Initiative also acts as a limiter on grapple duration, iirc. It's still not great, but it's definitely better than most grapple systems. Which is a low bar, I must admit. In Exalted I just tell people not to abuse grappling rather than glaring at anyone who so much as thinks about mentioning the grapple rules

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Does any game have proper grapple rules?

Another nice thing I will say about Dark*Matter is that its "monster manual" Xenomorphs has a section at the start that is basically 'yeah so animals in the real world tend to do things like try and knock you down and maul you, so here are rules for how that actually works' rather than just 'yeah whatever this thing does two claw attacks and a bite attack each round or something'.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

wiegieman posted:

I always thought it was kind of funny that in oWoD the old and crusty vampires hated or didn't understand technology and had people who had people to do that stuff for them, because they're exactly the types who spend all of their time on message boards and chat rooms and never go outside. I mean, I know it's because they're a metaphor for old people who are holding the world back because they literally can't change and have too much money and power to fight, but then the old people all bought smartphones and got on facebook. The technocracy won, and it's kind of great.

"The night has come, brothers, we're going to destroy the antediluvians. Not because they're a great threat to the world, but because they discovered the internet and if I have to listen to one more 'meme' from mine, I'm going to pry out my fangs and greet the dawn."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ratoslov posted:

Obviously, every vampire in your local Ordo Dracul chapter holds hundreds of titles and performs all of their duties themselves, which are fairly light duties when your entire organization can fit in a full-sized van with room for luggage.
The Ordo Dracul is totally one of those fraternal orders in a small town where a plumber, a car salesman, and a retired dentist refer to each other as Knights of the Silver Chalice and Defenders of Christendom and whatever. But they're also vampires with cool super powers.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Feinne posted:

Another nice thing I will say about Dark*Matter is that its "monster manual" Xenomorphs has a section at the start that is basically 'yeah so animals in the real world tend to do things like try and knock you down and maul you, so here are rules for how that actually works' rather than just 'yeah whatever this thing does two claw attacks and a bite attack each round or something'.

. . . kiiiiiiiiiiinda?

the book says "animals will try to subdue prey because they know it's easier to kill subdued prey" and then the book re-prints the grappling rules from the core PHB (which are nothing special) and that's it. the implication is that monsters of about animal intelligence will try to focus fire one hero if they can, and try to pin them if they can, because that's roughly how real animals hunt. but that aside, each monster still has a nightmarish stat block (with way too much information that will likely never be relevant to a combat encounter) and they still have dumb stuff like "Bite, Claw (x2)" listed in their attack actions.

matter of fact, because of the way that grappling works (here it comes) most monsters are still better off just using their listed attack modes against a hero, rather than wasting time wrestling the hero to the ground first. if anything, the paragraph telling the GM to have animal intellect-level monsters wrestle the heroes first is something of a reprieve for them, because it means they won't necessarily be insta-gibbed by whatever they're facing.

for example, let's look at the very first monster in Xenoforms, the Congoraptor - it's basically a raptor that the Kinori keep as a pet like humans would keep a dog. if the raptor follows the provision that it should try and wrestle prey to the ground before attacking, it's going to have to make successful grapple checks on 3 consecutive actions, each at a +1 penalty, in order to pin the target. since they don't have any ranks in attack specialty skills (just the Unarmed broad skill w/ 8 Strength) the raptor is trying to roll 8 or less on d20+d4. not impossible, but certainly not probable. since the raptor is trying to pin the target first, it's not dealing any actual damage to the target while it wrestles with it, because grappling itself doesn't automatically deal damage, and the move that progresses from a grapple into a pin doesn't deal any damage. and, if it doesn't get 3 consecutive successes, it loses ground on the grapple progress, which means it will likely take an extremely long time for the raptor to actually wrestle something to the ground.

on the other hand, the Congoraptor normally gets two actions per round and has both Bite and Claw/Claw Rake attacks. the Bite hits on a 12 or less, and each Claw hits on 14 or less, plus both attacks can deal damage, and most importantly mortal damage (if the raptor rolls an amazing success). against a hero with an average Constitution of 8 (meaning the hero can take 8 Wound damage and only 4 Mortal damage before dying) the raptor has a possible chance of killing the hero in one shot on an amazing Claw rake - each claw deals d4+1 mortal damage on an amazing hit, meaning the lowest damage each claw can roll is 2 mortal. granted, the raptor only scores an amazing hit on 3 or less, but that's the best-case one-shot-kill scenario - it can still easily fill up a hero's wound damage track with ordinary or good successes, and then the next attack is overflowing into mortal anyway.

from my reading of the situation, the suggestion in Xenoforms that animal-intelligence monsters try to wrestle with heroes before attacking directly is a kludge to keep "ordinary" monster encounters from causing TPKs left, right, and center.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The Ordo Dracul is totally one of those fraternal orders in a small town where a plumber, a car salesman, and a retired dentist refer to each other as Knights of the Silver Chalice and Defenders of Christendom and whatever. But they're also vampires with cool super powers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The singular issue with nWoD vampires not regularly eating normal food is the ensuing lack of The Great Ordo Dracul Monthly Fish Fry.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

. . . kiiiiiiiiiiinda?

the book says "animals will try to subdue prey because they know it's easier to kill subdued prey" and then the book re-prints the grappling rules from the core PHB (which are nothing special) and that's it. the implication is that monsters of about animal intelligence will try to focus fire one hero if they can, and try to pin them if they can, because that's roughly how real animals hunt. but that aside, each monster still has a nightmarish stat block (with way too much information that will likely never be relevant to a combat encounter) and they still have dumb stuff like "Bite, Claw (x2)" listed in their attack actions.

matter of fact, because of the way that grappling works (here it comes) most monsters are still better off just using their listed attack modes against a hero, rather than wasting time wrestling the hero to the ground first. if anything, the paragraph telling the GM to have animal intellect-level monsters wrestle the heroes first is something of a reprieve for them, because it means they won't necessarily be insta-gibbed by whatever they're facing.

for example, let's look at the very first monster in Xenoforms, the Congoraptor - it's basically a raptor that the Kinori keep as a pet like humans would keep a dog. if the raptor follows the provision that it should try and wrestle prey to the ground before attacking, it's going to have to make successful grapple checks on 3 consecutive actions, each at a +1 penalty, in order to pin the target. since they don't have any ranks in attack specialty skills (just the Unarmed broad skill w/ 8 Strength) the raptor is trying to roll 8 or less on d20+d4. not impossible, but certainly not probable. since the raptor is trying to pin the target first, it's not dealing any actual damage to the target while it wrestles with it, because grappling itself doesn't automatically deal damage, and the move that progresses from a grapple into a pin doesn't deal any damage. and, if it doesn't get 3 consecutive successes, it loses ground on the grapple progress, which means it will likely take an extremely long time for the raptor to actually wrestle something to the ground.

on the other hand, the Congoraptor normally gets two actions per round and has both Bite and Claw/Claw Rake attacks. the Bite hits on a 12 or less, and each Claw hits on 14 or less, plus both attacks can deal damage, and most importantly mortal damage (if the raptor rolls an amazing success). against a hero with an average Constitution of 8 (meaning the hero can take 8 Wound damage and only 4 Mortal damage before dying) the raptor has a possible chance of killing the hero in one shot on an amazing Claw rake - each claw deals d4+1 mortal damage on an amazing hit, meaning the lowest damage each claw can roll is 2 mortal. granted, the raptor only scores an amazing hit on 3 or less, but that's the best-case one-shot-kill scenario - it can still easily fill up a hero's wound damage track with ordinary or good successes, and then the next attack is overflowing into mortal anyway.

from my reading of the situation, the suggestion in Xenoforms that animal-intelligence monsters try to wrestle with heroes before attacking directly is a kludge to keep "ordinary" monster encounters from causing TPKs left, right, and center.

Oh yeah the actual rules are in practice not so great, I just liked that they even bothered to point out that animals don't really work the way they're generally modeled in rpgs (before doing it themselves).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mr. Maltose posted:

The singular issue with nWoD vampires not regularly eating normal food is the ensuing lack of The Great Ordo Dracul Monthly Fish Fry.

So fun fact, the Coil of Flesh actually lets Ordo vampires eat food normally when they're using their blood mojo to mimic normal life (pulse, flushed skin, etc.) So, that could absolutely still be a thing :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daeren posted:

So fun fact, the Coil of Flesh actually lets Ordo vampires eat food normally when they're using their blood mojo to mimic normal life (pulse, flushed skin, etc.) So, that could absolutely still be a thing :v:

"WITNESS AS WE DEMONSTRATE OUR MASTERY OF OUR CURSE!" *Devours a funnel cake*.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Night10194 posted:

"WITNESS AS WE DEMONSTRATE OUR MASTERY OF OUR CURSE!" *Devours a funnel cake*.

I would spend decades transcending the suffering of immortality if it was the only way to eat funnel cake again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

I would spend decades transcending the suffering of immortality if it was the only way to eat funnel cake again.

There have been many less worthy epic vampiric projects.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
*turf war starts when the Lancea Et Sanctum schedules it’s Pancake Brunch for the same time*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dueling Vampire Shriners/Elk Clubs sounds like a fun break from Vampire Gangsters.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Golconda is actually a sandwich.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Exodus the Interactive Story Arc of the Third and Last Dance is a roleplaying game from Synister Creative Systems published in 2001 and designed Sean and Joshua Jaffe. It’s a metaplot heavy, playing card deck using, religious themed urban grunge game. Unless I am otherwise notified it appears to be completely out of print with no digital versions available. Should this be incorrect I will update to include where it can be bought to give the original developers income.

Part 9: One Stat to Rule Them All

After that grueling 24 pages that could have been 12 paragraphs, it’s time for the next step in the process of character creation, which you guessed it, is just a raw slurry of more fluff mixed with a light touch of actual rules. This entire section is staggeringly labyrinthine, and as confusing as it can possible be, with rules laid out wherever they can and naturalistic language failing every single place it possibly can. The word “regular” without any appendation or explanation is the enemy of all things gaming and TLE loves it.

Let’s get down to it though, after picking what “religion” of 250-300 people we join it’s time to pick our characters Soul Order. It turns out that GODHEAD organizes all souls into 12 orders that describe both the Soul’s nature as well as some abilities they usually have. The game then mentions that Eden uses the system even though it’s from GODHEAD because [error: reason not found] and that Eden actually has thousands of Soul Orders so these 12 presented aren't inclusive of all the options in the game. In one of the Soul Order descriptions it then fires another volley at the core conciet of the game by a) introducing Heaven as a real place that isn’t Eden and b) noting that Heaven-Eden-Earth are but one of literally infinite sets pocket dimensions with their own clone-able Gods that can be traveled between so why does literally anybody give a poo poo about choosing to support GODHEAD or Ahura Mazda?

I told you, if we got you a pet you’d have to take it for walks
Art by: Frank B. Fallon

These Soul Orders, mechanically, have lots of overlaps with each other, designed so that each overlaps about 90% of its content with three other Soul Orders and has one unique to it power. Since there is no progression to these powers and you can pick a Soul Order’s unique skill at character creation you better pick a Soul Order with a kick-rear end one. Compare getting items from a list of "onboard weapons" when no such list exists against becoming immune to all "regular" damage in a game where that isn't a defined term so presumably everything does regular damage, do so instantly at will, do so with no time limit on the ability, and with no indication you can't attack while using it.

By the way, you won’t find out until fifty seven pages from now but the game as written doesn’t ever let you buy more of these skills, so you need to pick right at character creation. See XP can give you more points but the game notes those points can only be spent during character creation so I guess sit on your points like a points dragon. You might further be wondering, hey, if I buy these graces, what points do I buy them with? Well you use the stats that aren’t introduced until after this section, then cross reference a single paragraph that occurs forty pages after the introduction of Soul Orders and sixteen pages after introducing stats, in between two short sections covering things that have no relation to Soul Orders.

Where are you dodging to?
Art By: Frank B. Fallon

Finally, though, it is time to alot our character stat points. In TLE, you have 4 stats; Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Cultural. Amongst these 4 stats you have 16 points to split among them any way that you please with a 1:1 point per stat increase, with a cap of 10 in any given stat. The game doesn’t mention it right now when it should, but there are some derived scores from these such that if you don't point any points into physical you'd have 0 HP and would instantly die and go to Eden where if you have 0 points in Spiritual you double die and your character is dead forever instantly.

If you curious what these stats do or how high you should reasonably be putting them, don't worry, you're 30+ more pages away from finding out what the game’s resolution system is not that it works there either. You're also about 10+ pages away from finding out that those 16 points only reflect your stats on Earth. To determine your stats on Eden, no real math is required, you just add you score in that stat + your Spiritual stat. Remember how most Hearstakers make Dex the God stat? TLE’s Spiritual stat is about to cordially invite them to eat it.

I’m pulling from across the book, but let’s end this part by taking a look at everything the Spiritual stat counts for.

Spirit Stat Influences
  • It determines you score in the Spiritual Stat*
  • Is added to all of your other scores when in Eden to determine your stats in that realm
  • Is added to the calculation for all derived scores from stats in Eden
  • Only your Spiritual score is used to determine what skills you Deiform knows in Eden, all other scores are only for Earth
  • Is the only stat used for determining what spells you know and how good you are with spells on Eden and Earth**
  • You can only buy bonuses from your Soul Order equal to your starting Spiritual score
  • You can only buy ranks in Miracles equal to your starting Spiritual score
  • Spiritual controls any checks involving Soul Graces, prayers, miracles, resisting all magics, double resisting some other specific magics, traveling between Eden and Earth, among other things
  • Once per combat encounter you can use you Spiritual score to attempt to avoid all damage you would take

The only reason you wouldn’t just shovel your points into Spiritual is because you plan to run a game that only takes place on Earth, and even then you need to put one point into it so that when you die on Earth you don’t instantly double die on reaching Eden.

Next Time: Proficiency: Sex

*Duh, but still, it does it
**You do need the other stats to determine if you can use those spells on Earth, but since you take an immediate 50% penalty to all attempts to using spells on Earth and requires you spending very limited points on that it’s a trap option of the finest sense of the word.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Simian_Prime posted:

*turf war starts when the Lancea Et Sanctum schedules it’s Pancake Brunch for the same time*
Woah, no. That's the Delta Knights' territory and you don't want to mess with those guys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

megane posted:

Golconda is actually a sandwich.

Pro: superhuman strength and senses, nigh immortality, magic.

Cons: no more chicken and dumplings with buttermilk biscuits and buttered cornbread.

Push: humans.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The vampire who makes up some kind of freaky blood sorcery letting them taste what a human it's used on is eating will be able to set their price to any buyer in the world. The shadow war for control over it will be the fiercest conflict in history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You've had the cronut, now try the blonut!

Memo: work on name

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Halloween Jack posted:

You've had the cronut, now try the blonut!

Memo: work on name

Is that available creme-filled or frosted? And does it come pre-wrapped?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
One of the weird things about nWoD vampires is a section I remember that basically said, "Oh, and vampires don't have souls, so they can't experience new emotions. They think they are, but are actually just remembering emotions from times when they were alive." Well, that and the, "If your vampire sees another vampire they'll flip their poo poo out like sticking two strange cats in a bag together." rule.

For the former it struck me like they were just trying to be edgy about it but provided a real issue with actually managing to roleplay a creature where you have to think up what past event occurred that its every emotional stimuli calls back to. So, Reginald is quite upset, but is he upset like when Snookums died and his parents told him she ran away but she hadn't run away she died, or is he upset like when Mandy turned him down for prom? Because it must be a memory of a previous emotion.

For the latter, it really kills the whole sleek mover and shaker predator of the night thing when your savvy power broker shows up to meet another vampire, then shrieks, throws a couch through a window, and runs away because you hosed up the roll not to freak out. I could see calling for that sort of roll when unexpectedly finding a strange vampire right in your face, but as I recall the rules required the roll for encountering any vampire regardless of circumstances, with penalties for unfavorable scenarios.

Both of those put a burden on the game without any particularly worthwhile payoff. I like nWoD Vampire in general, though I'm nostalgic for the original clans, but here and there it dropped the ball.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I quite like the idea that vampire emotion is basically deadened and delusional, because A. Only players really dedicated to playing weird inhuman characters will actually do that at all, and B. It very strongly supports the thematic content of the game. Vampires are hideous predators passing as human, and their apparently human emotions are just them going through the motions. Only the thirst and the fear of the sun are real.

Which leads to the second thing, which is that they're predatory monsters at base and this 'new vampire staring contest' is meant to enforce that. I think it's overstated and wouldn't enforce the RAW; something like a one or two die social penalty if you lose rather than full fight-or-flight makes more sense. Maybe a condition.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think Undying does it better. When two vampires meet (whether they know each other or not) their immediate instinct is to figure out which of them is higher on the pecking order. So instead of going nuts and running away, instead you just realize instinctively that this guy is bigger, faster, and cooler than you, and could probably feed you your own shoes if he wanted to, which he very well might. Now, what do you say to him?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I quite like the idea that vampire emotion is basically deadened and delusional, because A. Only players really dedicated to playing weird inhuman characters will actually do that at all, and B. It very strongly supports the thematic content of the game. Vampires are hideous predators passing as human, and their apparently human emotions are just them going through the motions. Only the thirst and the fear of the sun are real.

Which leads to the second thing, which is that they're predatory monsters at base and this 'new vampire staring contest' is meant to enforce that. I think it's overstated and wouldn't enforce the RAW; something like a one or two die social penalty if you lose rather than full fight-or-flight makes more sense. Maybe a condition.
Maybe all human emotion is deadened and delusional memories just as we're all hideous predators. Makes you think.

I do also feel like it's deliberately tacking massively against the thrust of like, all vampire fiction produced within living memory, up to and including the original ending of "I Am Legend." (The Will Smith one.)

e: I'll walk this back but it seems like in just about every work of fiction featuring vampires as anything other than "monsters to kill," the vampires may have been bad people but they were people, not just monomaniacal blood-hungry zombies with unusually clever native intelligence.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 31, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It depends. The original Dracula was written in mind that Dracula lives mostly on instinct rather than reason, which is why he often acts stupid or predictable despite setting up a very complex plot and maintaining his lifestyle himself. And it's implied he has his poo poo together better than any other vampire, the other ones are shown as basically semi-sentient predators.

And a lot of old vampire lore centres around behavioural quirks and strange taboos; can't navigate crossroads, has to count grains of rice, has to ask permission to enter a dwelling, and so on. There's a very uncanny valley effect to it taken all together, quite likely literally so; a loss of impulse control combined with remembered impulses and habits of etiquette turned into compulsions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

It depends. The original Dracula was written in mind that Dracula lives mostly on instinct rather than reason, which is why he often acts stupid or predictable despite setting up a very complex plot and maintaining his lifestyle himself. And it's implied he has his poo poo together better than any other vampire, the other ones are shown as basically semi-sentient predators.

And a lot of old vampire lore centres around behavioural quirks and strange taboos; can't navigate crossroads, has to count grains of rice, has to ask permission to enter a dwelling, and so on. There's a very uncanny valley effect to it taken all together, quite likely literally so; a loss of impulse control combined with remembered impulses and habits of etiquette turned into compulsions.
See I think that's one thing you can read in Dracula, but Van Helsing himself says more or less outright that Dracula is learning and trying, and experimenting, and becoming more than he was, and that is a lot of why it is so urgent that they kill him now even though he has left England and will very likely never return. (Also he put the bite on Mina.)

You also have to look at more recent fiction - if you built vampires with Dracula as your model you would end up with some badass motherfuckers, if with some strict limitations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So which system best does that "You are now a wild beast barely hanging on to the habits and norms of humans, real actual humanity you will never have."?
I feel that nWOD is too much crunch and not enough descriptive prose mechanics .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

So which system best does that "You are now a wild beast barely hanging on to the habits and norms of humans, real actual humanity you will never have."?
I feel that nWOD is too much crunch and not enough descriptive prose mechanics .
What's the goal here? Like are you trying to do Trainspotting But Vampires?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Beast
You are all terrible loving people, the worst, so far beyond the pale that all you are is a pathetic mockery of human empathy hiding an insatiable hunger for the pain and misery of others.

And you have absolutely no idea that you are one and have a combined superiority and inferiority complex about it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 31, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nessus posted:

What's the goal here? Like are you trying to do Trainspotting But Vampires?

That's a better concept than what I had.
But playing a narrative in which the everyone is awful like how some people play paranoia or 40k could work.
E: with bits of pathos

Shadow Of The Vampire posted:

[Asked what he thought of the book, Dracula]

Max Schreck: It made me sad.

Albin: Why sad?

Max Schreck: Because Dracula had no servants.

Albin: I think you missed the point of the book, Count Orlock.

Max Schreck: Dracula hasn't had servants in 400 years and then a man comes to his ancestral home, and he must convince him that he... that he is like the man. He has to feed him, when he himself hasn't eaten food in centuries. Can he even remember how to buy bread? How to select cheese and wine? And then he remembers the rest of it. How to prepare a meal, how to make a bed. He remembers his first glory, his armies, his retainers, and what he is reduced to. The loneliest part of the book comes... when the man accidentally sees Dracula setting his table.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 31, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hams vamps are interesting in that they're inherently passionate and actively seek out drama. They're emotionally deadened in the sense that the shedding of blood holds none of the normal human revulsion or hesitation for them, and they tend to become much more self-centered, but their condition also tends to intentionally make them into enormous hams.

Also, I think Warhammer Vampires are, aside from Orcs, the only 'bad guy' who is generally quite happy.

E: I think the best way I've ever seen a Warhammer Vampire described is that every single one of them assumes they're the main character of whatever story they're in.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Both the 'deadened emotions' thing and the 'flip out and kill each other on sight' thing got dropped from nVampire 2e entirely, as a note.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Both the 'deadened emotions' thing and the 'flip out and kill each other on sight' thing got dropped from nVampire 2e entirely, as a note.

Good. I don't think WoD vamps needed any *more* help being awkward and anti-social.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Does anyone actually enjoy that oWOD whiney goth style (and is not a horribly broken person IRL)?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Does anyone actually enjoy that oWOD whiney goth style (and is not a horribly broken person IRL)?

as a passive observer and someone who has never owned a white wolf book, nor played a white wolf game, the oWoD whiney goth style is funny as all hell to watch. it stops being a hilarious trainwreck and becomes insipid drivel when the WoD starts to take itself seriously and turns into super heroes with fangs in black leather.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
A fallen paladin can atone and redeem themselves by praying before

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 14: The Deck of Sprites, Stones, Tritons, and Troglodytes

Try to keep your expectations extra low for this batch, folks. :smith:

88: Slumber Party

The PCs hear snoring in a lovely meadow. It’s six orcs deep in magical slumber. Investigation will turn up tiny arrows, which druids and rangers will recognize as those used by sprites. The sprites are still around, watching invisibly. If the PCs kill the orcs, the sprites get upset but don’t attack; if a ranger or druid addresses them, the sprites’ spokesperson just asks them to leave.

So there are no interesting choices or interactions for the PCs here at all? Is that what we’re saying? Then I’m not going to bother. Pass.

89: Swimming Hole

The PCs are approaching a lake. “The DM should emphasize that the area is peaceful and serene, with no dangers anywhere apparent,” because the DM really wants the players to never trust them again. There are 40 nixies in the pool who try to charm four PCs and lure them into the water to serve them for a year. Other party members might be able to trade favors/mini-quests to the nixies to get party members back.

A by-the-book nixie encounter. Is there value in just reminding me that nixies exist and that this is what they do? Not enough, no. Pass.

90: Intruders

A storm hits the PCs’ ship and blows it into triton territory. Seven of them will ride up on giant sea horses and interrogate the PCs round-robin style (they’re fairly democratic, apparently, with no firm leader). “The characters will need to exercise all of the charm and diplomatic skill they possess to avoid being stripped of ail their possessions and set adrift, at the mercy of the sea.”

Other than the storm by fiat, this is another straight-out-of-the-MM encounter. Also, it has false tension - after arbitrarily declaring that the PCs’ ship has been blown off course, is the DM really going to be such a dick that the tritons won’t just let the PCs go in the end? Talking their way out just feels like a chore for the PCs and the DM. Pass.

91: A Light in the Darkness

Camping in a forest at night, a PC might notice light coming from the west. It’s a steady glow. They find it in the hands of a skeleton outside the mouth of the cave. It’s a stone with continual light cast on it, that AD&D flashlight-replacing staple of adventurers and anachronistic fantasy city streetlamps.

“What the cave might hold is something for the DM to decide. It might lead into mysterious dungeons, be a secret passage to the castle of the local noble, or simply be an old bear cave, the bear having moved on months ago.”

So… basically there’s no encounter at all. No gameplay besides “the PCs pick up a rock.” The card is saying, “hey, you could put something interesting in front of the PCs now! Or not. Whatever.” Pass.

92: Ambush

Not to be confused with #25: Ambush. This is a different ambush.

Anyway, there’s a mountain pass, and the PCs are attacked by 16 camouflaged troglodytes. If the PCs kill more than half, they’ll retreat, but will probably attack again, “coming in increasing numbers.” They’ll use rockslides if necessary. The PCs are supposed to realize that they should probably book it out of the mountains.

Per the Monstrous Manual, “Their favorite tactic is to pick a well-trod mountain or subterranean path and then use their chameleon power to blend in with the surrounding rocks.” So this card is just telling me that troglodytes attack, in their favored terrain, using their favored tactics. :sigh: Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Freaking Crumbum posted:

as a passive observer and someone who has never owned a white wolf book, nor played a white wolf game, the oWoD whiney goth style is funny as all hell to watch. it stops being a hilarious trainwreck and becomes insipid drivel when the WoD starts to take itself seriously and turns into super heroes with fangs in black leather.
Note to self: work on Monsterhearts/Paranoia hack.