Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Okay so I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709 / Redstone 3) this afternoon and now I have two new entries in the "Optimize Drives" window, any idea what these are? Recovery & that weird \\?\Volume.... are new, any ideas?

Nothing shows in the Disk Management window either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going to hack you now that you revealed your GUID.

Actually I have no idea what they're for and they've also been with my computers as long as I can remember. I don't think they're a problem though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Im_Special posted:

Okay so I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709 / Redstone 3) this afternoon and now I have two new entries in the "Optimize Drives" window, any idea what these are? Recovery & that weird \\?\Volume.... are new, any ideas?

Nothing shows in the Disk Management window either...

Its a UUID, which is a basically a random number assigned to your drive just as a reference for disk controllers or something. Like if you had two(or 100, etc) of the exact same model of hard drive in your computer, how do you know which one is which?

The random number is made with enough bits that there are more possibilities than atoms in the observable universe, therefore guaranteeing that its universally unique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier#Format

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 24, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Manual trim doesn't wear the drive out, though. Good controllers (those recommended) just let data sit waiting to be overwritten.

Sorry, but good controllers do not, in fact, do that.

With spinning disk, a write operation and an overwrite operation take exactly the same amount of time.

With solid state storage, a write operation and an overwrite operation take wildly different amounts of time, with overwrite being orders of magnitude slower.

Long ago, when there was only spinning disk, file system developers realized they could save a lot of time if instead of going out and removing a file from disk when it was deleted, they could instead just mark that file as deleted in the file allocation table ( FAT ). Then, when a new file needed that space, the file system could destroy the old file and write the new file at the same moment, taking no extra time. ( undelete tools and data recovery tools rely on this ‘lazy delete’ approach when looking for data to recover. ). This type of file system in called a ‘lazy’ file system.

Solid state storage needs to prepare a block to accept new data, and if it is not given time to do this, has to stop a write operation to prepare a block to be written, then complete the write. With a lazy file system, the storage controller on the drive itself had to maintain tables of allocated data and keep track of what was still valid, what was possibly not valid, and what it knew for sure wasn’t valid, and spend time cleaning up after the lazy file system ( garbage collection ). With a more modern filesystem, it’s possible to tell the drive exactly what blocks are part of a file that has been deleted ( TRIM command ), so they can be emptied and prepared for new data. The storage controller still waits until there is some idle time to do this, but it does so much more efficiently when it does occur.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
I once entertained the idea of a thunderbolt dock for my 850EVO which was redonks expensive, and now I think are not made anymore (Seagate GoFlex or similar).
I'd like to know if there's anything like an external thunderbolt housing that doesn't cost more than the drive did. All my research points to 'yes you can, but no it's expensive'.
Any quick slap downs are underappreciated, i know I'm lazy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There are none that are cheap. I think there were a bunch of GoFlex adapters cheap back in 2011 or so, I regret not picking a handful of those up.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Bob Morales posted:

There are none that are cheap. I think there were a bunch of GoFlex adapters cheap back in 2011 or so, I regret not picking a handful of those up.

Agreed, I guess they were more expensive than getting off your arse and installing that drive properly. Which in an iMac sux balls.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've always trusted WD. Are their SSDs any good?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

codo27 posted:

I've always trusted WD. Are their SSDs any good?
WD SSDs are Sandisk. WD Blues are based on the x400, which is probably the best planar TLC nand drive in existence. WD Blue 3Ds are based on the Ultra 3D, which is currently extremely new but seems good so far.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Optane 900p reviews have dropped :woop:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-ssd-900p-3d-xpoint,5292.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review

quote:

To coincide with the launch, Intel will show off the drive for the first time at CitizenCon, a community gathering of Roberts Space Industries' Star Citizen players. As part of the partnership, the Optane SSD 900P will ship with a download code for an exclusive in-game Sabre Raven ship that has unique in-game capabilities. As you might have guessed, the Sabre Raven's specialty has to do with it's over the top speed.

:lol:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2017

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I didn't have a lot of faith in Optane, but working with Roberts Space Industries has really boosted my confidence in their technology.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It looks like a really solid product. I hope low queue depth becomes the thing now for ssds - way more interesting.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So it has ~40% more IOPS than A 960 EVO NVMe, ~5% more sequential write, and ~22% *less* sequential read speed. Seems like you could get two EVOs for the price and outperform it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

is a cool thing that exists.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'd take Optane over that. Maybe.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Isn't this the one that has limited usage, since it lacks its own PLX chip to split the lanes? Might be a Skylake-X only thing. The talk of unused CPU lanes would support this.

There do exist other such devices with their own PLX, and seem to work generally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

xPanda posted:

Isn't this the one that has limited usage, since it lacks its own PLX chip to split the lanes? Might be a Skylake-X only thing. The talk of unused CPU lanes would support this.

There do exist other such devices with their own PLX, and seem to work generally.

Some motherboards bifurcate the x16 into different options including x4x4x4x4, ASRock Rack and presumably asus server/workstation boards support this as well.

I’ve seen it as far back as broadwell e3/e5 mobos for sure.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

peepsalot posted:

So it has ~40% more IOPS than A 960 EVO NVMe, ~5% more sequential write, and ~22% *less* sequential read speed. Seems like you could get two EVOs for the price and outperform it.

If all you are care about is sequential I/O at high queue depths then sure

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

at high queue depths then sure
Which is a workload that doesn't really make sense for Optane anyway. I get the impression that Intel's kinda broken most of the tech media's benchmarks, and the writers just haven't figured it out yet.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which is a workload that doesn't really make sense for Optane anyway. I get the impression that Intel's kinda broken most of the tech media's benchmarks, and the writers just haven't figured it out yet.

One reviewer complained it made benchmarking drives not fun because Optane performance doesn't crater under the same workload/patterns like NAND.

Will probably take some time before consumers just automatically look at peak bandwidth numbers only and get confused at price discrepancy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I imagine we'll need to see the same shift in benchmarking toward 99th+ percentile latency type testing that happened with GPUs applied to SSDs. Average latency/IOPs is becoming less meaningful when consistency is what NAND is bad at. Optane crushes NAND in these sorts of tests, but the benchmarks are bad at expressing that information right now.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 31, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The new epeen will be how many nines you rate your QoS with

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh how do you cool your m.2 drives? I have a 500gb 960 evo on Asus maximus x hero, in the 1st m.2 slot between gpu and cpu. That doesn't seem to be a good place, temps are over 40 while idling and 60C while gaming.

Would the 2nd m.2 slot be better near the sata ports? It's clear of heat-producing components at least. Or do you use an pcie 4x adapter card like https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3399 ? I have some extra gpu ram heatsinks I could slap onto the m.2 drive then.

The only problem with that adapter is that the pci slot cover is non-perforated. They have a more expensive "evo" model with honeycomb perforations and some included heatsinks, but the included heatsinks looked like big crap pieces of metal which don't have that much surface area.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just a fan blowing at it should be enough. I just have a lot of case airflow and mine only gets to the 50s while stress testing it without any specific cooling. It's only like 5 watts, you barely need to cool it at all.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ihmemies posted:

So uh how do you cool your m.2 drives? I have a 500gb 960 evo on Asus maximus x hero, in the 1st m.2 slot between gpu and cpu. That doesn't seem to be a good place, temps are over 40 while idling and 60C while gaming.

You don't worry about it because those temperatures are not an issue.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does start throttling at some point. I don't know if it's 60s or higher though. 60C while under a light gaming load might be enough to push it to throttling temperatures under a stressful load. As long as you're not trying to do a passive build though case airflow should handle it no problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have a Samsung 500 GB 960 EVO in my 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP, it never gets super hot according to smartmontools, think the highest its ever gotten was 56C after backing up the entire boot drive to a USB 3.0 HD. Normal temps range from 37º to 41º C.

And there is an airflow in the rMBP, though it's not going to be super high due to the single fan..

Samsung's specs say the operating temperature range for the 960 is 0º C to 70º C, so throttling around 60º makes sense..

Since space is pretty tight in the rMBP, I just have a thick thermal pad right on the SSD's RAM chips that contacts the bottom case, whose job it is to radiate heat away anyway. The 56º max I mentioned is with the thermal pad in place, never got a chance to measure without it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So because I'm a digital cluttercollector, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2TB SSD - my current one is a Samsung 840 Evo. Looking at some reviews the MX300 seems to be a good sweetspot for price on larger drives and it's recommended here as well. My board supports M2 over PCIe x2, but I didn't see much in the way of options that weren't insane.

Does the MX300 seem like a good idea - and should I wait for Black Friday/etc just in case there's a price drop?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Falcon2001 posted:

So because I'm a digital cluttercollector, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2TB SSD - my current one is a Samsung 840 Evo. Looking at some reviews the MX300 seems to be a good sweetspot for price on larger drives and it's recommended here as well. My board supports M2 over PCIe x2, but I didn't see much in the way of options that weren't insane.

Does the MX300 seem like a good idea - and should I wait for Black Friday/etc just in case there's a price drop?

Black Friday often has good deals on SSDs although they're not always the ones you're shopping for. The MX300 is okay, I have one from last black friday that's been chugging along with no problems.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you're using m.2 nvme hard enough that thermal throttling is an issue, you need to be using the HHHL cards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Potato Salad posted:

If you're using m.2 nvme hard enough that thermal throttling is an issue, you need to be using the HHHL cards.

The "temps are over 40 while idling and 60C while gaming" means this guy's issue is all about overall system heat, not the SSD itself. Games just don't have an intense continual workload by SSD standards. Either it's got level loads and there's plenty of idle time between the bursts or heavy reads, or open-world type games where data is being streamed into memory all the time but at a fairly sedate pace (relative to its capability) mostly.

For Ihmemies my main question is what type of CPU heatsink he's using. If it's a stock intel or another type that blows downward onto the mobo, that's where I'd put most of the blame because the M2 slot location is getting hot air blasted directly onto it. Just moving it to the other slot location will probably solve your problem.

In the hypothetical case where there wasn't another M2 slot, or you had 2 drives and wanted to use both: I'd also experiment with leaving that "heatshield" (aka advertising placard) that sits on that M2 slot off. I'm often skeptical on a lot of that type of performance-bling -- most of them have think squishy heat pads cause they have to fit any possible SSD. I think depending on the case layout etc, it's not hard to do better just leaving the SSD exposed to airflow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah the obvious caveats of an unhealthy system apply, make sure there isn't dead air space or even counterproductive airflow.

My point was that a home and gaming user isn't going to run an nvme m.2 device into throttling issues. If you have throttling issues and you aren't doing true professional workstation activity like sustained 4K video editing, storage throughout isn't the cause of your heat problem.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The case is Silverstone Raven 2, with 90 degrees rotated motherboard and three 180mm fans on bottom, regular tower cooler blowing towards top of the case. I'll try moving that ssd first.. but I need to remove cpu cooler for that. So I'll wait till my delidding tools come so I don't need to remove the cooler twice -,-

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, I'm looking at buying a SSD, and my use case is that I want Windows 10 to boot faster, for my games to load up faster, and since I'm starting to get into gameplay recording, I want to not have my system killed every time I press the "dump X minutes of already recorded gameplay" on Shadowplay.

I also should note that my mobo is an Intel 1155P DH67BL, which is 5 years old at this point.

Potato Salad posted:

Consumer SATA
Top Picks: Samsung 850 EVO, SanDisk x400
Recommended: Crucial MX300
Budget Only: Samsung 750, SanDisk z400s

Since this post was edited almost exactly a year ago, I'm curious if these models are still good choices.

Also, I just want to be sure: Is this the same model as the Crucial that's on the Recommended slot?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The 2.5" SATAN III space hasn't changed much, the only big changes in the last year would just be additions to the Goon Approved (TM) nvme list. Most vendors selling nvme right now seem to be getting it done competently so far.

That looks like the right crucial drive, but why can't I find a model number on that page....

Edit: yep, mx300. That's the one. Awful price though.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 10, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nice, thank you! :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: yep, mx300. That's the one. Awful price though.

I was going to say that with Amazon shipping it's going to be the almost the same price, but apparently it's free shipping on Amazon. :confused:

And it's still around BRL 300 cheaper on Amazon with the import tax, so...

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 10, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

The 2.5" SATAN III...

:black101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone get an Intel 900p yet? Getting some of those and a couple of the x8 HGST SN260s for system testing, curious to see how they go.

SN260 gets 6.2 GB/s reads apparently :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

priznat posted:

Anyone get an Intel 900p yet? Getting some of those and a couple of the x8 HGST SN260s for system testing, curious to see how they go.

SN260 gets 6.2 GB/s reads apparently :getin:

Yeah. I picked up a 480gb 900p

Drive is stellar. I do a lot of VMs and development work and it is goddamn great.

Raw read-only/write-only throughput is on par with NVMe but in mixed workloads it shines