Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Turns out my new position comes with a raise which lends credibility to the promise of no more phonecalls! I already make a livable wage so I'll be happy with whatever the amount turns out to be, tbh. Doesn't mean I haven't asked my manager how much I get though!

Small flashback to around May this year when I'd been in my department a bit over a month. My manager sent me a message and asked if I could take inbound customer service calls the next day instead. I mention I haven't done US inbound since November but I guess I can?

Next morning I run into my old UK department manager and while shooting the breeze mention I was asked to take customer service calls for the day instead of processing. His response was "lol what"

Turns out he stopped being my UK department manager because he is now my boss's boss's boss.

I was mysteriously told to not worry about changing queues and to process as usual.

And that's how I accidentally squeaky wheeled myself out of stuff I didn't wanna do by bitching up the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My place is moving to assigned seating starting Sunday. What is this, school? It's probably an attempt to break up chatty groups but people will just end up chatting with their new neighbors because nobody likes to sit around and do nothing. The only thing we're supposed to do between calls is read the FAQs about the project. There's only so many times a person can do that before it's the dullest thing on the planet. I'll never enjoy this, but it pays better than average for my area and doesn't drug test so I think I'll be here a while.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'd kill for assigned seating. Ever since work at home was killed, we have more workers than desks, so assigned seating is impossible and you end up having about a 50/50 shot that someone else isn't sitting in your usual desk. And if someone is, you can't get mad at them because it isn't likely they are really trying to just take your seat, they almost certainly found someone sitting where they'd rather sit.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just what i needed, statement day that also lands on a day after a long weekend :suicide:

e: reading out a temporary password the consumer goes "Oh am I supposed to type that in?"

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 5, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Firstborn posted:

Anyone here work from home? I'm interested in how you got started and where I could look for job postings.

FlexJobs has lots of good listings for those sorts of positions, though you do have to pay a fee to join.

Also, some of y'all don't get assigned seating? That sounds chaotic as hell.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

firstborn posted:

work from home

My old call center opened up work-from-home positions after I called their ethics hotline and complained about a bunch of illegal labor law violations. I think they just wanted to shut up whoever kept calling the hotline.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"I don't see you listed as an authorized representative. I can answer general questions or we can try to reach out to the account holder"

"It's a general question"

*proceeds to ask a non-general question*

I wish I never returned from my vacation last week.

E: tomorrow's my 1yr anniversary being here, so that means I have the slightest possibility i might be able to probably not switch to a different department. next meeting i'm letting my sup know i want to leave the call center and go into a different department

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 18, 2017

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

PenguinKnight posted:

"I don't see you listed as an authorized representative. I can answer general questions or we can try to reach out to the account holder"

"It's a general question"

*proceeds to ask a non-general question*

I wish I never returned from my vacation last week.

E: tomorrow's my 1yr anniversary being here, so that means I have the slightest possibility i might be able to probably not switch to a different department. next meeting i'm letting my sup know i want to leave the call center and go into a different department

PenguinKnight, do you, by chance... work in a call center in Minnesota? For a company whose name is 3 characters long? Just everything you are saying sounds so familiar and it would be kind of awesome to realize I was working with a fellow goon!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I just got my ticket out of this hellhole. It took four months and 38 rejected applications, but my last day being a verbal punching bag for tens of thousands of strangers a year is October 7.

My rear end in a top hat being a sexual punching bag for tens of thousands of strangers a month will not be affected and will maintain normal hours behind the local Dave and Busters and want to swing by and "congratulate" me.

AmyTheeStallion
Sep 11, 2011

Time_pants posted:

I just got my ticket out of this hellhole.

Congrats! I hope to GOD another group I interviewed with calls me back TODAY. Yeah, it's been about a billion + rejected applications; I've definitely lost track.

Another busy Friday for us, here at the state IT helpdesk. Please God, let it end.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pure Trance posted:

Congrats! I hope to GOD another group I interviewed with calls me back TODAY. Yeah, it's been about a billion + rejected applications; I've definitely lost track.

Another busy Friday for us, here at the state IT helpdesk. Please God, let it end.

Thanks! I hope you manage to get your ticket out of that hellhole stamped sooner than later. If not, hang in there, man. I experienced a truly spectacular emotional spiral when I kept getting rejection after rejection after rejection, and the list of unresponsive HR reps who told me they'd definitely follow up by (specific date) but to go ahead and shoot them an email if I don't hear back by then kept growing.

Applying for jobs/promotions is just about the most stressful, awful, dehumanizing process that people voluntarily subject themselves to, so I really hope that your experience is a short, successful one.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I really hate running into people who still work at my old call center in public. Ran into a old co-worker at the grocery store today who was trying to sell himself as doing really well in the call center. He just went from Lvl 1 to Lvl 2 tech support which took him 3 years. I got to LVL 2 within 3 months. When he asked me what I was doing I told him my current job, doing Payroll Admin for a grocery warehouse, and he then acted jealous for the rest of the conversation. Then he goes and poo poo talks about me on social media so his call center friends chime in on how he is going to get a position off the phones soon.

It just makes me really glad I got out when I did last year. The job search can be long and the transition afterwards can be bumpy but it is worth it in the end.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

therobit posted:

If it was a pre- Dodd-Frank loan, they probably didn't. Liar loans were way loving easier to do from start to finish.

Oh man, I worked in a home equity call center in 2002 and it was ridiculous how little checking we did. The process was backed up like 4 months because everyone and their dog was refinancing their house/flip condo/doghouse, though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sullat posted:

Oh man, I worked in a home equity call center in 2002 and it was ridiculous how little checking we did. The process was backed up like 4 months because everyone and their dog was refinancing their house/flip condo/doghouse, though.

By 2006 we were doing them over the counter in under a week. Automated appraisal and/or just using the tax value, stated income, not really and I think some kind of electronic title abstract report instead of a real property title report. Those were the glory days.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
"What's your name?"
"Chris."
"Chris is a gay name, you know that right?"

Possibly my favorite angry customer interaction of all time.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Please tell me you corrected him that the word he was looking for is androgynous.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I have a hard time hearing sometimes and I try to ask people to repeat themselves nicely. When asking a name last night, I got this exchange.

"M as in Mary?"
"N as in none of your business."

Thankfully I'm not trained to handle calling back the people who start surveys and don't finish them because they don't trust us with their information despite federal law being pretty strict about what could happen if anyone shares their info. They are usually the same people who don't want to go to our website to verify that I am exactly who I say I am. The website is part of cdc.gov and the main page says exactly what number will show up on their caller ID. Yep, glad that's not me trying to bribe them with checks for $11.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

exactly what number will show up on their caller ID
Caller ID spoofing is trivial.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

UZworm posted:

"What's your name?"
"Chris."

Compared to names like Aiden, Tyler, and Blake, Chris is basically like impaling three floozies at once on your dick like a shish kebab.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
George Carlins rant about names comes to mind

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

UZworm posted:

"What's your name?"
"Chris."

Ask him what kind of a human being knows which names are gay and not.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

therobit posted:

This kind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdPj3HXMgQ

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

therobit posted:

I just told him to take it up with my parents.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

It is:
- A Monday
- Where we're back from a holiday

It hasn't been this bad since tax season.

e: it hasn't been much better today :(

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 28, 2017

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I gotta ask: my brothers in a call center in Northern Ontario, been there for going on 7 years, and he’s still being paid only just above minimum wage. In fact, new employees make 0.60 less than he does. Is this kind of low income thing normal with job loyalty? His lowest raise was a 0.05 raise once, and it was because he was on the support team and didn’t have numbers to provide good reason to pay him more.

I’ve been begging him to quit this place, especially since they lost their contract with Rogers, but he’s holding onto some slim thread of hope that he might get paid what he’s worth.

Any advice? I work in the restaurant industry so it’s out of my element.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

virinvictus posted:

I gotta ask: my brothers in a call center in Northern Ontario, been there for going on 7 years, and he’s still being paid only just above minimum wage. In fact, new employees make 0.60 less than he does. Is this kind of low income thing normal with job loyalty? His lowest raise was a 0.05 raise once, and it was because he was on the support team and didn’t have numbers to provide good reason to pay him more.

I’ve been begging him to quit this place, especially since they lost their contract with Rogers, but he’s holding onto some slim thread of hope that he might get paid what he’s worth.

Any advice? I work in the restaurant industry so it’s out of my element.

This is more just general advice, but your brother's best bet to get paid more is to go work for another company. The Negotiation Thread goes into way more detail, but in my experience, its way harder to get your present employer to give you more money than it is to find a new company who will start you at a higher salary (if you're not switching departments or getting a promotion). This is especially true if your brother's numbers aren't impressing his current bosses, and therefore he doesn't have much to bargain with.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Call centers are a lot like retail in that they like to promise you you will move up/get a raise/ get transferred to that department you wanted to be in but really they are just lying to you. Like retail, they usually pay like poo poo (although not quite as low as retail wages) and treat employees like inputs. If you can go find office work instead, you will be treated better and have more opportunities for advancement both inside and outside of the firm you work at.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Thirded. Left my lovely phone job for an office job in the same company and now I don't want to kill myself every night. And I get paid more/respected more too.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Chicken Doodle posted:

Thirded. Left my lovely phone job for an office job in the same company and now I don't want to kill myself every night. And I get paid more/respected more too.

I just got moved to a dispatch position from the call center proper and it's close enough to changing to office work, I love it :D

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

my favorite thing is when people you're on the phone with completely ignore what you just told them.

why even call

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
they're lonely

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

In response to the question about call center pay, you can actually make decent money at the right places. I worked the phones for a bank in their credit card department and started at $15/hr. I did well and got promoted three months in and got an extra dollar on top of that, and my first annual raise was 5% along with a $1200 bonus. Now, don't get me wrong, that isn't great money, but between that and the overtime, I did alright for myself.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Chicken Doodle posted:

I've spent three of the last four years in contact centers, both over the phone and through email correspondence, and I'm currently doing social media for a music streaming service. The work is fine enough, but I'm needing a change. That being said, as someone who doesn't have a degree, I'm not sure where I can really go from here.

I guess my question is, for those of you who have found your ways out of a call center, where have you gone? Where were you looking, and what were you looking for? In what positions could you leverage your customer service experience? What certifications did you get, if any, that aided your way out?

I've been looking for receptionist positions, supervisor roles, and other contact center jobs, but since I've spent the majority of my work history in customer service, I'm not sure where else I should (or could) be looking. I don't know where to find opportunities for someone like me, and I feel kind of trapped.

Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this kind of stuff. I know everyone's situation is different, but I'm hoping someone 's experience could help.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm looking for a different job, but it's hard when I have a medical cannabis card to function mostly like an average human and the vast majority of jobs drug test.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Only when you move to dispatch do you realize how incompetent everyone in the call center is.

Holy poo poo I hate all my former co-workers now

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Holy lol, nothing gets a bigger attitude change from flyover country yokels than using the NATO alphabet and sir/ma'am #stolenvalor

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 27, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ibexaz posted:

I've spent three of the last four years in contact centers, both over the phone and through email correspondence, and I'm currently doing social media for a music streaming service. The work is fine enough, but I'm needing a change. That being said, as someone who doesn't have a degree, I'm not sure where I can really go from here.

I guess my question is, for those of you who have found your ways out of a call center, where have you gone? Where were you looking, and what were you looking for? In what positions could you leverage your customer service experience? What certifications did you get, if any, that aided your way out?

I've been looking for receptionist positions, supervisor roles, and other contact center jobs, but since I've spent the majority of my work history in customer service, I'm not sure where else I should (or could) be looking. I don't know where to find opportunities for someone like me, and I feel kind of trapped.

Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this kind of stuff. I know everyone's situation is different, but I'm hoping someone 's experience could help.

I went phones, team manager, ops manager (sort of, weird hybrid role), volunteered to help open a new call centre, project management, resource planning. I basically just worked up and sideways within the same organisation, trying to find roles that fit me. A supervisor role gets you people management experience which can help you in a bunch of other places and is probably a good thing to be aiming for. If you want to get out immediately I don't know what options you have other than a different contact centre.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AceRimmer posted:

Holy lol, nothing gets a bigger attitude change from flyover country yokels than using the NATO alphabet and sir/ma'am #stolenvalor

When I did tech support I goddamned loved talking to vets because I was used to "Uh, that's A as in... apple, I guess, B as in, uh, um, boy..." Military folks know their NATO alphabet better than their real alphabet.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

When I did tech support I goddamned loved talking to vets because I was used to "Uh, that's A as in... apple, I guess, B as in, uh, um, boy..." Military folks know their NATO alphabet better than their real alphabet.
I did talk to one older vet who reminisced about how he named his dog Kilo in the 70s and how he hadn't heard the alphabet in years :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Our UK customers always jumped straight to the NATO alphabet when giving their post code or address. It was wonderful and something I miss about UK shifts.