Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i went to the apple store for the first time in a while the other day and it's devolved into a total poo poo show

they seem to have ditched the genius bar, and all the tables are now used to teach geriatrics how to use iphoto

(👴: EXCUSE ME ARE YOU HERE FOR THE CLASS? THESE TABLES ARE FOR THE CLASS)

there's some... cubes?

and you can sit on those, no classes in the uncomfortable cube area

so you end up wandering around looking for a blueshirt who isn't trying to upsell soccer moms on a macbook bro to use for facebook to "check you in" because again, there's no literal genius bar.

then you sit on a cube, then someone comes to take your iphone in the back for an hour to gentle caress it replace the battery and the whole business gets repeated when you return

i was at the one at tyson's and it seemed the same as ever. big ol genius bar, tables for classes and such, etc.

i guss the clarendon one renovated and may be more like you're saying but i only went there once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it's nice to see gruber grow increasingly frustrated with apple, now he's - understandably - blogging about vloggers getting some advance hands-on experience ahead of the regular embargo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

marco was whining about it on twitter, too.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/925039127439052806

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm enobong

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
does this mean john fireball and phillip k schiller are no longer friends?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH hobbyist press
NOW youtuber IS BEST FRIEND

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm glad my 2012 MBA is working fine so I don't have to deal any of these weird keyboard foofaraws

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tech journalists are dumb as gently caress and need to write “balanced” articles that focus on stupid poo poo. youtube kids are just excited about having a new phone and can convey that to their audience.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i want more info on the a11

i get the vibe management cant say much about it

I am desperate

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hahaha, Gruber is definitely salty about his clique of reviewer friends (and him, possibly) not getting an iPhone X

sorry 50 year old guys... turns out yung youtubers with 3 min videos and half a million followers are way more attractive to marketers than long form 20 page articles, who knew

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

i want more info on the a11

i get the vibe management cant say much about it

I am desperate

what do you want to know? it’s really fast.

i busted my rear end making it work. but I can’t tell you about that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man just tell me a cool fact I'll be content with that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk you mentioned something about "imagine if we could run this with active cooling" and it inspired a naive vision of them putting them in everything or in 5 years theyre dirt cheap and power your oven

I just like things that are badass

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It has blast processing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what happened to the iphone 9

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It has blast processing

that sounds coooool

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

my iPhone 8, apple's flagship phone, forgets to vibrate when I switch the vibrate button

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my iPhone 8, apple's flagship phone, forgets to vibrate when I switch the vibrate button

the flagship is the X and it's not out yet, idiot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

the flagship is the X and it's not out yet, idiot

Until Nov 3 this is Apple's flagship phone

they even had a keynote about it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xaris posted:

it's coming out next year along with the iphonxi

it'll be the year of iphone 9/11

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

inshallah

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Until Nov 3 this is Apple's flagship phone

they even had a keynote about it

pretty sure the iPhone 8 only exists because tim had to say “one more thing” and needed a first thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

what do you want to know? it’s really fast.

i busted my rear end making it work. but I can’t tell you about that.

do u write code and then turn that code into pathways and transistors

or do you design pathways to replicate decisions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

idk you mentioned something about "imagine if we could run this with active cooling" and it inspired a naive vision of them putting them in everything or in 5 years theyre dirt cheap and power your oven

I just like things that are badass

there are two ways to make a chip fast: high clock speed and bigger chip area.

power usage increases with the square of the frequency, so high frequency burns much more power and gets much hotter. but it’s “free” for chip makers in that there isn’t a per-unit cost.
bigger chip area can do more things in parallel but it costs more to make. they stay cooler and therefore run longer at that same performance level.

apple went all in on big area with relatively low clocks. they made a chip that is very expensive to make, and at the same power consumption as competitors it murders them in performance. they are paying for it in chip price, but they thought it was worth it. because of this design it can’t clock up much higher. so even with active cooling you can’t push it too far, although it will be able to maintain performance.

fun fact, it doesn’t support 32-bit ARM at all. even if iOS didn’t drop support for ARMv7, this chip couldn’t run those old apps.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

do u write code and then turn that code into pathways and transistors

or do you design pathways to replicate decisions

I’m not a chip designer. I write software that makes the chip work at a low level. then I give the designers feedback on what the software needs to work better and they factor that into future generations. so this chip is co-evolving with iOS at a very deep level. they know what instructions the compiler outputs and what kind of operations apps do frequently and they optimize the chip to make those faster. at the same time the compilers and libraries and kernel know what to do to best take advantage of the microarchitecture.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

I’m not a chip designer. I write software that makes the chip work at a low level. then I give the designers feedback on what the software needs to work better and they factor that into future generations. so this chip is co-evolving with iOS at a very deep level. they know what instructions the compiler outputs and what kind of operations apps do frequently and they optimize the chip to make those faster. at the same time the compilers and libraries and kernel know what to do to best take advantage of the microarchitecture.

firmware krew itt :hf:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

firmware krew itt :hf:

always be masking and shifting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

fun fact, it doesn’t support 32-bit ARM at all. even if iOS didn’t drop support for ARMv7, this chip couldn’t run those old apps.

I presume this is a stripping off baggage for the sake of performance thing, that has an initial pull-plaster-off pain but in long run is such a superior idae

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I read poo poo like what you write it feels like I am standing at the foot of giants

weird but true. I respect and am jealous of the wicked cool knowledge and fundamental understandings of all that poo poo

kia kaha

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hahaha, Gruber is definitely salty about his clique of reviewer friends (and him, possibly) not getting an iPhone X

sorry 50 year old guys... turns out yung youtubers with 3 min videos and half a million followers are way more attractive to marketers than long form 20 page articles, who knew

oh they got free phones too they just had to agree to an embargo so they cant publish their dumb reviews until later this week

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Xaris posted:

a lot of older apps are pretty lazy about how they check for iphone 95/98 so apple just didn't want to risk it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stymie posted:

the iphonxi

p. sure this is already on sale on AliExpress etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xaris posted:

7 ate 9 :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

poty posted:

oh they got free phones too they just had to agree to an embargo so they cant publish their dumb reviews until later this week

Well, as of the 25th Gruber was saying he's not used FaceID, it seems like some embargo lifted today with the number of posts, and they usually give reviewers a week with the device if I remember correctly, so....

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
review embargos are a pretty good sign of a failed product

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i went to the apple store for the first time in a while the other day and it's devolved into a total poo poo show

the new stores are very bad. wandering salespeople are no more: now you're asked to form one big single-file line as soon as you enter the store, and once you reach the front of the line an apple employee assigns you to a specific salesperson. i just wanted a mighty mouse and had to wait in lines for like 20 minutes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

i just wanted a mighty mouse

lol nice Halloween prank!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
magic mouse!! i meant to say magic mouse!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol, keep 'em coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

Well, as of the 25th Gruber was saying he's not used FaceID, it seems like some embargo lifted today with the number of posts, and they usually give reviewers a week with the device if I remember correctly, so....

as much as he might want to believe otherwise, gruber's not really high-profile enough to get review units. he's in the ATP-level where they get their stuff the same as everyone else.